Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GaussianCopula posted:

At least the SPD no longer has an absolute majority and the FDP had a "victory".

The FDP still exists? poo poo, I had hoped they'd finally been killed off for good. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

3/10, not as amusing as setting a DIE LINKE functionary up to look like a neonazi.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BKiJ6uH4jE

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Brüderles Kampf lmao

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Libluini posted:

The FDP still exists? poo poo, I had hoped they'd finally been killed off for good. :sigh:

Like a phoenix out of ashes the FDP will rise to protect Germany against the danger of a SPD/Linke/Grüne coalition in 2017.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Torrannor posted:

^^e: That's great.

They said the CDU lost the most votes with people over 60. That's really unexpected, does any Hamburg goon know what's up with that?

http://wahl.tagesschau.de/wahlen/2015-02-15-LT-DE-HH/index.shtml

Look at the percentages. The SPD lost 1,9%, the Linke gained 2,0%. The CDU lost 5,9% the AFD gained 5,8%

Its basically both "Volksparteien" losing votes to their more extreme versions. Nothing new for the post 2000 SPD, but the CDU losing votes to the AFD is actually a new thing. I guess now that they have successfully absorbed the FDP voters, they need a new target.

The best part of this is the SPD apparently celebrating this as a massive victory. "Woohoo, we held the status quo" I mean, they actually lost their absolute majority. It's really more of a mediocre result if anything.

e X fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 15, 2015

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Torrannor posted:

^^e: That's great.

They said the CDU lost the most votes with people over 60. That's really unexpected, does any Hamburg goon know what's up with that?

My parents are now personally feeling how Ole hosed them by privatizing the hospitals, I guess they aren't alone.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

That CDU crash is impressive

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I always knew that the Catholic Church is rich, but the Cologne archdiocese has 3.35 billion Euro in wealth? That's impressive.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Torrannor posted:

I always knew that the Catholic Church is rich, but the Cologne archdiocese has 3.35 billion Euro in wealth? That's impressive.

It exists for over 1200 years in one form or another, a lot of time to make money and more importantly get land/real estate. It's also important that the region was firmly catholic for the whole time, especially during the reformation, which prevented looting of their wealth by feudal lords.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Torrannor posted:

To be fair it's not hard to make big money when you are a criminal conspiracy that has managed to get special protections from the law.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

To be fair it's not hard to make big money when you are a criminal conspiracy that has managed to get special protections from the law.

:rolleyes:

I don't think it's too surprising - there is a lot of wealth to be accumulated when you have existed for at least 1700 years. And it's not like they're just sitting on it: the archdiocese gives two million € every day to its parishes, schools, kindergardens, libraries, charitable organisations etc. Could (and should!) they do more with their money? Yes. Is it particulary shocking that an institution as old (and fiscally conservative) as the archdiocese owns a lot of money? No.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

GaussianCopula posted:

It exists for over 1200 years in one form or another, a lot of time to make money and more importantly get land/real estate. It's also important that the region was firmly catholic for the whole time, especially during the reformation, which prevented looting of their wealth by feudal lords.

Well, also the fact that the Archdiocese of Cologne used to be the government of Cologne.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
They also saved a lot of money by not fighting wars, which is where most of the money historically went.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Good thing the church doesn't pay any taxes in Germany :thumbsup:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

ephex posted:

They probably wouldn't have to pay corporate tears even if they weren't exempt due to most of their assets already being depreciated.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ephex posted:

Well that would be absurd, don't you know: In Germany, you pay taxes to the church. The church tax is collected by the state and then redistributed across the different major religions. Which is actually kind of neat, with the exception of atheists, everyone pays taxes for their own religion. Muslim organizations for example, are one of the groups next to the great Catholic and Protestant churches who get a part of the money.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Only those that belong to a religious organization that make use of the tax scheme pay church tax, so it's not only atheist.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Wait there are Muslim groups that can have the state collect church taxes? :eyepop:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
In Austria the Church was granted the right to collect the tax itself.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
And here I am, ausgetreten aus der katholischen Kirche, and still paying for some dumb bishops salary.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/steuern-spenden-staatszuschuesse-so-finanziert-sich-die-katholische-kirche-1.1794296-3

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Randler posted:

Wait there are Muslim groups that can have the state collect church taxes? :eyepop:

The state isn't collecting church taxes out of the goodness of its heart; it is providing a service. A service for which it takes a ~3% cut (depending on the state). Any church that's a Körperschaft des öffentlichen Rechts can make use of that offer.

Riso posted:

In Austria the Church was granted the right to collect the tax itself.

Churches in Germany are free to do that as well, but I guess the convenience of not having those good Christians cheat on how much they should be paying according to their income outweighs the 3% cut the state is keeping.

Libluini posted:

Well that would be absurd, don't you know: In Germany, you pay taxes to the church. The church tax is collected by the state and then redistributed across the different major religions. Which is actually kind of neat, with the exception of atheists, everyone pays taxes for their own religion. Muslim organizations for example, are one of the groups next to the great Catholic and Protestant churches who get a part of the money.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant to say, but your post makes it sound like there's some kind of solidarity principle at work here. That's not the case; the state only 'redistributes' the money in so far as it takes money from someone who's registered as belonging to a certain faith, and then passes that money on to the church he's registered with.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 19, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Badly Jester posted:

The state isn't collecting church taxes out of the goodness of its heart; it is providing a service. A service for which it takes a ~3% cut (depending on the state). Any church that's a Körperschaft des öffentlichen Rechts can make use of that offer.

Yeah and after a certain point, Muslim Imams took notice of this, so a lot of German mosques collect money from the state. Which in turn was collected by Church tax before.

Edit:

But it looks like my info is either out of date, or Wikipedia isn't reliable as a source. Welp, so take this with a grain of salt, but I read in a news article a year ago or something, about ~3-4% of the church tax goes to Muslim organizations.

According to Wikipedia however, alot of Christian churches are freely renouncing their claims on church tax money. (They renounce it probably because of that cut.)

Only one major German Muslim organization, the Hessian Ahmadiyya Muslim Jamaat, is directly mentioned in the Wikipedia article and they don't want state money, too. This makes me suspicious, because I can't believe they're the only recoginzed Muslim organization in Germany. We had large groups of Muslims here since the 60s, after all, so I have to go with my memory here instead of Wikipedia.

Jews and Unitarier get tax money this way, too. The Orthodox church and many Protestant churches refuse to take the money. Except when not (see Unitarier).

Holy poo poo this got complicated fast. :stare:

Badly Jester posted:

I'm not sure if that's what you meant to say, but your post makes it sound like there's some kind of solidarity principle at work here. That's not the case; the state only 'redistributes' the money in so far as it takes money from someone who's registered as belonging to a certain faith, and then passes that money on to the church he's registered with.

Most of my childhood I falsely believed only Christian churches could get money this way, so when I finally learned the truth, this colored my perception because redistribution of money for all registered religions instead of just one sounded a lot more "nice" and solidaritarian than I had expected from the state.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 20, 2015

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Badly Jester posted:

I know that. I just haven't heard of any Muslim congregation becoming corporate.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

This will be really hard to beat in the running for news story of the year:

quote:

Unbekannte stehlen im Neubau der BND-Zentrale Wasserhähne für 100 Euro - und richten damit Wasserschäden in Millionenhöhe an. [...] Unbemerkt vom Wachschutz schraubten der oder die Täter mehrere Wasserhähne in den oberen Etagen des Gebäudes in der Chausseestraße in Mitte ab. In der Folge sickerten große Mengen Wasser in die darunter liegenden Etagen und richteten erhebliche Schäden an.

[...]

Während die Wasserhähne einen Wert von kaum mehr als hundert Euro haben sollen, könnte das Wasser nach Tagesspiegel-Informationen Schäden in Millionenhöhe angerichtet haben. Am Mittwoch war noch nicht klar, ob neben den Wasserhähnen noch andere Dinge aus der Zentrale des Geheimdienstes entwendet wurden.

[...]

Wie die Diebe in eines der vermeintlich bestgesicherten Gebäude der Hauptstadt gelangen konnten, ist noch unklar.
http://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/polizei-justiz/metalldiebstahl-in-berlin-mitte-watergate-im-bnd-neubau/11457216.html

It's the best. Godspeed, noble tap thieves (I hope saying this doesn't get me The Visit).

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Smirr posted:

This will be really hard to beat in the running for news story of the year:

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/polizei-justiz/metalldiebstahl-in-berlin-mitte-watergate-im-bnd-neubau/11457216.html

It's the best. Godspeed, noble tap thieves (I hope saying this doesn't get me The Visit).

:lol:

Is the building already fitted out with custom-built electronics:nsa:? I can't imagine a running tap doing millions in damage otherwise...

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Smirr posted:

(I hope saying this doesn't get me The Visit).
I think they won't even know you said this now.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Stay safe tap ghosts

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Would have never happened to the Stasi.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Riso posted:

Would have never happened to the Stasi.

Mostly due to a severe lack of taps in East Germany...

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Yep, they only had wiretaps.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Germans are not a protected group with regards to the Volksverhetzungs offence as Germans cannot be considered a part of the population in that context. Silly facebook kid.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

:getin:

But is that a real title of an RTL piece? Because holy crap :psyduck:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Mein Applet!!!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
He should invest in an iMac, apparently those are safe from prosecution.

LawBlog posted:

Die Wohnung meines Mandanten wurde gründlich durchsucht. Insbesondere hatten es die Beamten auf Datenträger abgesehen. Sie nahmen ein Notebook, mehrere USB-Sticks, eine externe Festplatte und etliche DVDs mit.

Im Durchsuchungsbericht heißt es, auf dem Schreibtisch hätten sich ein Monitor und eine Tastatur befunden. Der “dazugehörige PC” sei jedoch nicht auffindbar gewesen. Auf die Mitnahme des Monitors und der Tastatur habe man verzichtet.

Der iMac hat also durchaus Vorzüge.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Read his name in the uncensored picture, knew right away that he is from eastern germany.

p.s. he likes "mein kampf" who would have thought

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

elwood posted:

Read his name in the uncensored picture, knew right away that he is from eastern germany.

p.s. he likes "mein kampf" who would have thought

That's a lie, no-one likes that book, not even Hitler. (I know this because we had to read excerpts in school and it was the most boring, inane bullshit you could imagine.)

Hitler: Sterile and lifeless art, tedious writing, excellent mass murderer.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
It's obvious that even the ghost-writer couldn't do much to rescue such a confused and bizarre set of thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Libluini posted:

Hitler: Sterile and lifeless art, tedious writing, excellent mass murderer.

I liked him in that one Tarantino movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25F7VX1tsRg