Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

maybe try living in a climate where the weather doesn't try to kill you...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Or dress sensibly? I mean, we get the reverse in Australia where everyone is always cranking the air con to a ridiculous degree, because houses are being built like poo poo these days.

Good insulation and dressing to the conditions (ie not expecting to be in a shorts & shirt) will surely save you far more money than min-maxxing the thermostat.

Like I get that there is a baseline necessity in countries far colder than where I live, but the programmable thermostat problem seems to come more from the fact that poorly built houses are leaking heat like a sieve.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Paying a one-time $150 extra for a better interface and so you can turn on/off remotely and look at pretty history graphs is really no worse than other random house gadgets like a harmony remote. I don't see the big deal; those $25 thermostats are a nightmare to program / adjust and it's almost worth the money just to be able to do it on a computer with good visualization.

I rent, and there's nothing I can do about my sieve apartment except to put the stuff over the windows which barely helps.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Bhodi posted:

Paying a one-time $150 extra for a better interface and so you can turn on/off remotely and look at pretty history graphs is really no worse than other random house gadgets like a harmony remote. I don't see the big deal; those $25 thermostats are a nightmare to program / adjust and it's almost worth the money just to be able to do it on a computer with good visualization.

I rent, and there's nothing I can do about my sieve apartment except to put the stuff over the windows which barely helps.

it takes ten minutes to program a $25 Honeywell thermostat

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

the interfaces for programming cheaper thermostats are terrible but you only have to do it once.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

also harmony remotes are hell of overrated imo.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
So my apartment came with some noname non-honeywell thermostat with no instructions, it's a total piece of poo poo and I'm probably just going to buy a thermostat and replace it. If I'm already going to buy one, I might as well spend like a weekend's worth of dinner/drinks and buy a nice one. poo poo we're all yospos here, makin' 6 n a half figgies, you won't even notice the cost

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

krysmopompas posted:

my neighbors poo poo in home depot buckets but that's ok because they hacked a cheap freezer with an arduino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfqunEuw61k

*shameful snype

will somebody please loving fund me so I can do this poo poo properly? i will make good youtubes

Apr 7, 2003

Bhodi posted:

So my apartment came with some noname non-honeywell thermostat with no instructions, it's a total piece of poo poo and I'm probably just going to buy a thermostat and replace it. If I'm already going to buy one, I might as well spend like a weekend's worth of dinner/drinks and buy a nice one. poo poo we're all yospos here, makin' 6 n a half figgies, you won't even notice the cost

Suck it off.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bhodi posted:

I don't even have a thermostat.

I can adjust the radiator slighlty, but it's a single stage control, and I didn't know it was there for the first year I lived in my apartment.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ayn rand hand job posted:

I don't even have a thermostat.

I can adjust the radiator slighlty, but it's a single stage control, and I didn't know it was there for the first year I lived in my apartment.

same except i dont even have a radiator or heating, just two wall mounted air conditioning units

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Maluco Marinero posted:

Or dress sensibly? I mean, we get the reverse in Australia where everyone is always cranking the air con to a ridiculous degree, because houses are being built like poo poo these days.

Good insulation and dressing to the conditions (ie not expecting to be in a shorts & shirt) will surely save you far more money than min-maxxing the thermostat.

Like I get that there is a baseline necessity in countries far colder than where I live, but the programmable thermostat problem seems to come more from the fact that poorly built houses are leaking heat like a sieve.

yeah lemme just be hot and uncomfortable in my own home

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
my apartment doesn't have heat or ac because i live where humans were intended to live

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Elder Postsman posted:

but you only have to do it once.

y'all live in places without seasons or something?

honeywell's specialty is industrial control, surprise surprise people care about UX

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Beast of Bourbon posted:

my apartment doesn't have heat or ac because i live where humans were intended to live

where's that?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
the russians just used pencils XD

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
i feel like we're just missing a racist just-so from sagebrush at this point, step it up

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Beast of Bourbon posted:

africa?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

Suck it off.

and the fellaters gon' fellate, ate, ate, ate, ate

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

JawnV6 posted:

y'all live in places without seasons or something?

honeywell's specialty is industrial control, surprise surprise people care about UX

huh. minnesota has seasons. why do you need different temperature settings in the summer and winter.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

duTrieux. posted:

and the fellaters gon' fellate, ate, ate, ate, ate

Apr 7, 2003

Necc0 posted:

the russians just used pencils XD

get out.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i live in the great rift valley

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Elder Postsman posted:

huh. minnesota has seasons. why do you need different temperature settings in the summer and winter.

there's a comfortable range and you want to get to the closest/cheapest edge of that, not enforce a single number regardless of the path to it

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

JawnV6 posted:

there's a comfortable range and you want to get to the closest/cheapest edge of that, not enforce a single number regardless of the path to it

well i don't have central air so it doesn't really do anything in the summer.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 21, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sassafras posted:

I bet all these Nest people waste valuable time turning off LED lights when they leave a room for ten minutes, too.

~~~VAMPIRE POWER~

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

FCKGW posted:

yeah lemme just be hot and uncomfortable in my own home

I'm pretty sure there's a line between taking the edge off the heat and creating your own 20C climate. The latter is just wasteful yet everyone seems to do it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
let me janitor that little dinky led on my battery charger that sucks up 1c of power every year

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bhodi posted:

Would your landlord not let you install one?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

~~~VAMPIRE POWER~

i like how the nest steals power from the hvac fan and charges its battery so it can run, as the system doesnt providing power to it directly

does a good job, too

(obv a 3.7v lipo cell)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Elder Postsman posted:

well i don't have central air so it doesn't really do anything in the summer.

yeah, turns out lacking half the letters in HVAC affects some use cases

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

fart simpson posted:

but if you want to go down that line of thought, i think theoretically a "smart" theromastat could be better than a simple programmable one in the sense that it could dynamically adapt to a changing schedule. like if you normally come home from work at 7 you can use a normal programmable thermostat to account for that but if you sometimes work late and get home at 10 instead then a fancy smart home thermostat could sense that you're still at work so don't bother turning on the heat yet.

if you're already at home then just adjust the thermostat yourself, there's no point in having a motion sensor automatically do it when you walk by except sheer loving laziness

the advantage of a programmable thermostat is the ability to adjust before you wake up/go home/whatever so the place is already warmed up by the time you get there

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sniep posted:

i like how

i liek how that too OP

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
jfc a page and a half arguing about loving thermostats goddamn

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WSJ put together a cool chart with all the bubble companies in the new web economy

http://graphics.wsj.com/billion-dollar-club/

you can even play back the positions as they changed over the past 12 months.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

just got around to watching silicon valley and I'm wondering if java really is that common in startups out there or whether that's the big language the writers have actually heard of

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

startups should write stuff in java because then when it fails they'll be able to get jobs at real companies

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I think Java is what most comp sci universities teach, so presumably it's what most of the fresh meat would be comfortable writing in. "rockstar" coders tend to use the flavor of the month and then scramble when their Ruby on Rails project fails to scale properly at the enterprise level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Would your landlord not let you install one?
if they're like any landlord i've ever had, they wouldn't know or care since they're only ever around when i call them for something

• Locked thread