Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Do you really want to be associated with gs500 owners..

besides Minkee doesn't own his GS, he has a time share with some dude in the neighborhood that has a steady supply of screw drivers

500excf type r fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

EX250 Type R posted:

besides Minkee doesn't own his GS, he has a time share with some dude in the neighborhood that has a steady supply of screw drivers

Well mine is currently sitting in my garage with a bad head gasket, oil leaks all over the top of the engine and a completely trashed second gear.

Been meaning to just buy another engine and bolt it on but don't have the free time or money at the moment.

I ride the poo poo out of my Triumph Sprint when Ohio thaws out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Slavvy posted:

Because going from one place to another in a vehicle is a chore and they can't understand why anyone would want to do this using a method that is A. more dangerous and B. takes more effort. Anyone who does this is clearly unbalanced in some way.

Only at low speeds :v:

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

EX250 Type R posted:

Ban GS500 owners

Marxalot posted:

Yeah but we'd pretty much only lose one dude.

I guess I'll be leaving then. :smith:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

xergm posted:

I guess I'll be leaving then. :smith:

First they came for the GS500 owners, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a GS500 owner.

Then they came for the Motard riders, and I did not speak out—
Because I didn't have a DRZ.

Then they came for the three cruiser riders, and I did not speak out—
Because I don't own a cruiser.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left but Kawasaki riders.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm 90% certain the most popular brand on here numerically is Honda but nobody talks about them because people with Hondas just shut the gently caress up and get on with poo poo.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

I'm 90% certain the most popular brand on here numerically is Honda but nobody talks about them because people with Hondas just shut the gently caress up and get on with poo poo.

Probably because you don't have to fix it every week. :argh:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slavvy posted:

It doesn't break, they're perfect from the factory so you don't need to change much, they're beautiful so they don't need cosmetic upgrades...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

PCOS Bill posted:

It doesn't break, they're perfect from the factory so you don't need to change much, they're beautiful so they don't need cosmetic upgrades...

Describes my refrigerator.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Wait so whats wrong with GS500s? I had one for my first bike and while it was a loving basket case since it probably had 13 previous owners who didnt give a gently caress, I loved it for what it was and the fact that it was probably running on pure willpower alone by the end of its life. Y U HATE

Minty Swagger fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 19, 2015

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Minty Swagger posted:

Wait so whats wrong with GS500s? I had one for my first bike and while it was a loving basket case since it probably had 13 previous owners who didnt give a gently caress, I loved it for what it was and the fact that it was probably running on pure willpower alone by the end of its life. Y U HATE

They're too practical

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

Describes my refrigerator.

The electronics on my fridge don't get too hot :haw:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Gs 500 is a fine starter bike but you shouldn't have it for more than a year or 4k miles/ or until poo poo starts breaking down.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nsaP posted:

Gs 500 is a fine starter bike but you shouldn't have it for more than a year or 4k miles/ or until poo poo starts breaking down.

I'd prefer more riders stay on their small starter bikes longer actually.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nsaP posted:

That's why Minty Swagger's had 13 POs I guess.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

PCOS Bill posted:

I'd prefer more riders stay on their small starter bikes longer actually.

Then pick another starter bike.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
To the bike's credit it was also like $700 with a shitton of maintenance items needing to be done so I was kind of asking for problems.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I like the GS500, it's an Honest bike, i.e. unlike a BMW GS with the entire touratech catalog screwed on.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

High Protein posted:

I like the GS500, it's an Honest bike, i.e. unlike a BMW GS with the entire touratech catalog screwed on.

the GS500 makes me think it's like the Geo Metro of motorcycles. The bare minimum of motorcycle with absolutely nothing extra. Thank goodness its not as slow as one.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

nitrogen posted:

the GS500 makes me think it's like the Geo Metro of motorcycles. The bare minimum of motorcycle with absolutely nothing extra. Thank goodness its not as slow as one.

Well it's got one cylinder too many for that; now the Buell Blast, on the other hand...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ripoff posted:

Not exactly overheard stupid poo poo, but I made the mistake of reading Reddit regarding that picture of a motorcycle helmet that looks like someone took a belt sander to it.

The Reddit posters came out in full force about those dangerous machines that prove you only love yourself and hate your family:

Did you know that motorcycles are like drugs? Take one ride and you gently caress up your life and the lives of your loved ones. Suzukis: Never even once.

Right, so uh, "Having an easier time to find a place to park in a crowded city" and "Saving gas while having fun" are apparently irrational.

Honestly I know motorcycles get a bad rap and all but holy poo poo these guys are loving wimps. :reddit: "Oh but there's nothing to protect you from when you go flying 70mph on a highway through debris, what then, you monster? What then?"

I don't know, fucker, maybe slow down?

For those of you that hate yourself enough: http://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/1j72st/discovered_just_now_that_my_brothers_helmet_from/

In short:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

My favorite:
http://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/1j72st/discovered_just_now_that_my_brothers_helmet_from/cbbs0m4

It's all fake, but still hilarious.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

EX250 Type R posted:

I call it more of a time share motorcycle.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
"I can't believe they make you wear a helmet where you live. They just passed a law here that lets cops pull you over if you don't have a seatbelt. What's next? They want me to wear a helmet in my car?"

Dude, you work in a hospital and were just a part of a conversation about motorcycle and snowmobile injuries that have come through recently. I hope a law passes that makes you wear a seatbelt on your motorcycle or whatever bullshit you were talking about after I quit listening.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Professor Wayne posted:

"I can't believe they make you wear a helmet where you live. They just passed a law here that lets cops pull you over if you don't have a seatbelt. What's next? They want me to wear a helmet in my car?"

Dude, you work in a hospital and were just a part of a conversation about motorcycle and snowmobile injuries that have come through recently. I hope a law passes that makes you wear a seatbelt on your motorcycle or whatever bullshit you were talking about after I quit listening.

:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::psyboom:

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuck

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Back when I was first starting to ride, I was interested in a sport bike. The Harley Dealer (which had a nice Honda CBR600 for sale) wanted to convince me this was a bad idea, so we walked back in the shop to see a sport bike in for repair, and a mechanic started telling me about how they are worthless and have no value. He said it was extremely easy to total the bike, that if you ever wreck it the bike would have to be thrown away but a Harley could be rebuilt. To illustrate his point, he said that a random stranger could walk up with a pair of keys and with a few slashes he could scratch the tank or tear the plastic fairing, but worst of all he could key the exposed sections of the frame thus ruining the bike forever. The logic behind this was if the frame was scratched, insurance would write off the bike since it would require complete disassembly to repaint/coast/polish the scratches.

I did end up on a cruiser bike, primarily because I test drove a couple sport bikes and for me it just was not as fun as a cruiser bike. Yes the sport bikes handle a lot better, and they are a lot faster, but it simply was not as fun. On the sport bike, it was easy to get up to well over a hundred miles per hour, but I didn't get the same sensation of going fast since the sport bike was so smooth and quick. To put it another way, with a cruiser bike you know when you have reached or exceeded 100mph, the bike lets you know by vibration and slowness, etc. It also didn't help that my Dad (who I rode with a lot) rides cruisers and everyone else I knew liked cruisers, and American Chopper was a new popular TV show at the time featuring non-sport bikes, so I chose a cruiser. I would still love to own a sport bike, but I enjoy the cruiser too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cruisers: more fun than sportbikes.

Close thread.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I do know a retired racer who likes doing long trips on a cruiser now days so ya know, it can go either way.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Slavvy posted:

Cruisers: more fun than sportbikes.

Close thread.

I find my cruiser more fun than a sport bike. But we may have different ideas of fun. I have no desire to go flying around tight corners as fast as possible while dragging my knee on the ground. I do like riding out in the hill country viewing the sites and landscape and stopping in little small towns to get to know people.p and eat from mom and pop restaurants.

So to each their own right?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

Back when I was first starting to ride, I was interested in a sport bike. The Harley Dealer (which had a nice Honda CBR600 for sale) wanted to convince me this was a bad idea, so we walked back in the shop to see a sport bike in for repair, and a mechanic started telling me about how they are worthless and have no value. He said it was extremely easy to total the bike, that if you ever wreck it the bike would have to be thrown away but a Harley could be rebuilt. To illustrate his point, he said that a random stranger could walk up with a pair of keys and with a few slashes he could scratch the tank or tear the plastic fairing, but worst of all he could key the exposed sections of the frame thus ruining the bike forever. The logic behind this was if the frame was scratched, insurance would write off the bike since it would require complete disassembly to repaint/coast/polish the scratches.

I did end up on a cruiser bike, primarily because I test drove a couple sport bikes and for me it just was not as fun as a cruiser bike. Yes the sport bikes handle a lot better, and they are a lot faster, but it simply was not as fun. On the sport bike, it was easy to get up to well over a hundred miles per hour, but I didn't get the same sensation of going fast since the sport bike was so smooth and quick. To put it another way, with a cruiser bike you know when you have reached or exceeded 100mph, the bike lets you know by vibration and slowness, etc. It also didn't help that my Dad (who I rode with a lot) rides cruisers and everyone else I knew liked cruisers, and American Chopper was a new popular TV show at the time featuring non-sport bikes, so I chose a cruiser. I would still love to own a sport bike, but I enjoy the cruiser too.

please tell me this is a post from reddit or something lol

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I find my cruiser more fun than a sport bike. But we may have different ideas of fun. I have no desire to go flying around tight corners as fast as possible while dragging my knee on the ground. I do like riding out in the hill country viewing the sites and landscape and stopping in little small towns to get to know people.p and eat from mom and pop restaurants.

Just because a cruiser can't go flying around tight corners and drag a knee easily doesn't mean a sportbike can't just cruise in the 'hill country'

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So what you're saying is you regret not buying a touring bike?

hot sauce posted:

please tell me this is a post from reddit or something lol

This is the same poster who thinks he will crash his bike if he reaches up to hit a switch on a Sena on his helmet because he has one hand off the bars.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What kind of truck are you hauling it with?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I want a 954 with an 1 1/8" Protaper bar and some risers. "Cruiser."

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Crotch Fruit posted:

Crotch Fruit, you're my new favorite poster in CA. Every time I see that banana swinging as I scroll down I know that I'm in for a treat.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

HotCanadianChick posted:

So what you're saying is you regret not buying a touring bike?

The "got a cruiser and wishes he got a sport touring bike crew" checking in.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Unless you're riding on the track or in the dirt, the correct answer is pretty much always 'sport touring bike'.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
What are the thoughts on all the Concourses that sit at about $3k with 40k miles on them on craigslist? If that is a dumb idea what is the other affordable sport tourer option?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Guinness posted:

Unless you're riding on the track or in the dirt, the correct answer is pretty much always 'sport touring bike'.

Wrong the correct answer is always Super Duke 1290.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Crotch Fruit posted:

By that dealership guy's own logic, aren't the frames on cruisers generally more accessible and easier to scratch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
What would actually happen if someone keyed a sportbike frame? I'm gonna guess that it's not nearly as catastrophic as the Harley dealer guy said.

• Locked thread