Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

Triangulum posted:

You might wanna try a different treat on your walks too. Those pressed meat strip treats often aren't super high value and it's probably worth your time to figure out an extra awesome super special treat to help encourage her to walk with your husband.

She goes for them pretty well but I also take some of her normal kibble too, she'll do sit and stuff like that for those for quite a while. I take your point though, will have to look out for other things we can use as well just so she doesn't get totally bored of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
The harder something is for a dog, the better the reward should be (to a point - you still want your dog to be able to think rather than losing their drat mind). So for easy stuff like practicing sit and down in the living room, kibble's totally fine but for things she's reluctant about or are very difficult, she may need a little extra incentive at first. It's basically telling her "look, I know this is hard for you but I'll REALLY make it worth your while". Cheese, hot dogs, real meat, and liver treats are usually a big hit with most dogs. My go-tos are Jimmy Dean breakfast sausages and tinned roast beef because they're easy to tear up, don't require any prep, and one of my dogs is a picky dick who'll only do hard things for Real Beef.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

This right here is the only intelligent thing you said. You could leave it at that and be done with it. Unless you're willing to drop a thousand+ dollars on some AKC dog with papers from a Westminster breeder, you don't know what you're getting with a shelter dog. And I'm not inexperienced in owning a dog, either. My last dog was a lab/schnauzer mix that had a lab face with a schnauzer beard and it rocked! Bearded dogs rule.

You don't really know anything about breeders either.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Any dog 'may not be.' A shelter poodle could be a total oval office of a dog if it was abused or raised the wrong way.

No it's just a poorly bred dog with a mystery breeding, like the dog you're getting. Poodles are my thing and they're specifically bred for temperament and a bitey/lovely poodle is a poor poodle and it's not all in how you raise them lol.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 19, 2015

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

cheese eats mouse posted:

You don't really know anything about breeders either.

It's extra awesome because APBTs aren't even recognized by the AKC and I paid $150 and $250 respectively for my two extremely well bred ADBA APBTs lmao (not that this guy should go out and get a real pit bull, no one who had any would give him one after listening to him talk for three seconds)

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

It's extra awesome because APBTs aren't even recognized by the AKC and I paid $150 and $250 respectively for my two extremely well bred ADBA APBTs lmao (not that this guy should go out and get a real pit bull, no one who had any would give him one after listening to him talk for three seconds)

"I hear you breed..." he sighs, "nanny dogs?"

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

wtftastic posted:

"I hear you breed..." he sighs, "nanny dogs?"

I think he should adopt Woop.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I would recommend a poodle for him but I feel like the poodle would outsmart him.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

I think he should adopt Woop.

I think Woop just arrives at people's homes via some sort of weird space shuttle. Adoption is too simple for him.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

wtftastic posted:

I think Woop just arrives at people's homes via some sort of weird space shuttle. Adoption is too simple for him.

He's figured out the science of teleportation and time travel, but it's jsut a thing that happened to him and he does not know what it is.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Superconsndar posted:

He's figured out the science of teleportation and time travel, but it's jsut a thing that happened to him and he does not know what it is.

WOW COOL IM EATING THE SAME CHICKEN GRAIN OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Tonight: partial victory.

Kluliss and I took Wraggler for an evening walk together and at the furthest point out K walked out of sight while I waited with the dog (continually feeding her hotdog chunks). After a few minutes we walked home via a different (known) route. Apart from an initial freakout she was fine so I think we might try longer and longer separate walks over the next few days. She also didn't flip out when she got home and found Kluliss waiting for her, it was more of a "oh, hey you".

I will defeat you, dog.

e: I do not know the Legend of Woop

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Woop is the pinnacle of the noble gamebred American Pit Bull Terrier, a tiny backwoods Habsburg prince of a dog, long of loin and pricked of ear, whose love for humankind is so great there's no room inside him for a brain.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Wheats posted:

Woop is the pinnacle of the noble gamebred American Pit Bull Terrier, a tiny backwoods Habsburg prince of a dog, long of loin and pricked of ear, whose love for humankind is so great there's no room inside him for a brain.

Please link I must see this specimen and google just wants me to look at endless "woop woop!" comments instead of this canine prince

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Tamarillo posted:

Please link I must see this specimen and google just wants me to look at endless "woop woop!" comments instead of this canine prince

Dis Woo http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700934&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post441751234

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Woop/Boot my OTP
Who had that mockup of a custom photo credit card with the photo of puppy Woop making the OMG HI face while Fronkie humps the crap out of him? That was a good photo.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Oh what I thought that was a baby Peep. I can never keep track of your ~pack~

gaybaby apbt/pyr puppies match made in heaven, best temperament mix #hybridvigor

E: have you thought about breeding and selling, they will be sooooo fluffy and cute (with a big hairy blonde vag mouth)

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 20, 2015

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Supers gay names for her gay dogs changes every full moon.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

cheese eats mouse posted:

Supers gay names for her gay dogs changes every full moon.

Gotta keep track of these things, gotta stay "in the know"

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
i miss you ladies who do I PM about fb group

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

i miss you ladies who do I PM about fb group

I was hoping you would return to the flock omg

PM CryingScarf. I'll link her this thread too.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So my puppy is starting to show some pretty bad behavior. Things like crying for attention, scratching at my chair (even now as I'm typing this, not giving her attention), getting upset when I'm showing affection with my girlfriend, when either of us are giving attention to the cat, and stepping out into the other room. She's showing some other things that seem odd as well, but we're not sure if they're an issue (things like redirecting bites when chewing to our clothing, chewing on her feet, chasing her tail occasionally, etc).

She's 3 months old and we're wondering if she was potentially taken away too early from her mother. We adopted her 2 weeks ago, and we figure the adoption process could mean she was in there since she was at least a month old. Mostly we're curious how we can train her away from these behaviors.

She's otherwise a great dog. She's friendly with strangers and other dogs, she's starting to get better at being house and crate trained (though she does still cry at night sometimes), and she's good on walks when it's not freezing outside.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Sounds p normal to me

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

So my puppy is starting to show some pretty bad behavior. Things like crying for attention, scratching at my chair (even now as I'm typing this, not giving her attention), getting upset when I'm showing affection with my girlfriend, when either of us are giving attention to the cat, and stepping out into the other room. She's showing some other things that seem odd as well, but we're not sure if they're an issue (things like redirecting bites when chewing to our clothing, chewing on her feet, chasing her tail occasionally, etc).

She's 3 months old and we're wondering if she was potentially taken away too early from her mother. We adopted her 2 weeks ago, and we figure the adoption process could mean she was in there since she was at least a month old. Mostly we're curious how we can train her away from these behaviors.

She's otherwise a great dog. She's friendly with strangers and other dogs, she's starting to get better at being house and crate trained (though she does still cry at night sometimes), and she's good on walks when it's not freezing outside.

your dog has a narcissism disorder and needs to be drugged to the gills asap if it is ever to function in normal society

Tramii
Jun 22, 2005

He's a hawk. A hawk. Can't you tell just by looking at him?

Verisimilidude posted:

So my puppy is starting to show some pretty bad behavior. Things like crying for attention, scratching at my chair (even now as I'm typing this, not giving her attention), getting upset when I'm showing affection with my girlfriend, when either of us are giving attention to the cat, and stepping out into the other room.

Congratulations! You are the owner of a perfectly normal puppy. One day you will express how much you miss this time. Take lots of pictures/videos.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Tonight: total victory.

Once I'd dragged Wraggler out of the driveway she immediately went "you win" and happily trotted along with me for the rest of the walk. I'll keep being the giver of food and treating her on walks etc but fortunately it seems like she's a lot less stubborn than I thought.

~*ANOTHER PET ISLAND SUCCESS STORY*~

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Party Boat posted:

Once I'd dragged Wraggler out of the driveway she immediately went "you win" and happily trotted along with me for the rest of the walk. I'll keep being the giver of food and treating her on walks etc but fortunately it seems like she's a lot less stubborn than I thought.

Yay Clicktreat party boat

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Party Boat posted:

Good lad, paaty buuht

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Tramii posted:

Congratulations! You are the owner of a perfectly normal puppy. One day you will express how much you miss this time. Take lots of pictures/videos.

That's a relief. Several different people all told me the same thing, so I was beginning to worry.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Puppies are assholes

but they're cute so they get a pass.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I'll have had my puppy for a week as of tomorrow night and so far she's been pretty great. She seems to get using the bathroom outside and has in the last few days only had a few accidents inside, typically after she was done playing around. Training and walking her has been a bit difficult because it has been in the 5-10 degree range outside and now there's a bunch of icy slush on the ground. I would love to give her longer walks but she really doesn't seem like she can handle it when it's that cold and I don't want to push it.

With that in mind, around 11pm, after her last walk, she gets a ridiculous burst of energy for about an hour where she is impossible to deal with. She tears up her wee-wee pad, starts knocking anything over that can be knocked over, and if you get near her she gets even more bitey then usual and I can't really redirect her onto a toy, she just goes for my hands or legs. I'm under the impression that this is totally normal puppy behavior (zoomies?) but I would really love a way to properly handle it. I don't have any illusions about being able to calm her down because I just don't think that can happen, but by that time I am already exhausted and realize I am getting really upset.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this or to maybe induce it to happen an hour or two earlier? I read a bunch of things on websites that the dog is overstimulated or understimulated or didn't get enough exercise or is just trying to stay awake for some reason or blah blah blah. Lots of conflicting information.

Here's a picture of her wearing a coat:

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 22, 2015

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Is she crate trained? I'd stick her in her crate after her last walk so she gets the idea that bedtime walk = settle down and go to sleep when you come inside.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I just got a puppy yesterday and no matter what I do, whistle, clap say something, make a noise I can't pull her attention away and as a result can't get her to come to me. I can only get her to come to me if I get her to chase me which can be kinda tricky if she is focusing on other things. I've never struggled to get a puppy to come to me before, what do I do?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I just got a puppy yesterday and no matter what I do, whistle, clap say something, make a noise I can't pull her attention away and as a result can't get her to come to me. I can only get her to come to me if I get her to chase me which can be kinda tricky if she is focusing on other things. I've never struggled to get a puppy to come to me before, what do I do?

Start small. Sit next to her and say her name and reward her if she looks at you and build from there.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Is she crate trained? I'd stick her in her crate after her last walk so she gets the idea that bedtime walk = settle down and go to sleep when you come inside.
I think she was in a crate when she was being fostered but she isn't with us, though my girlfriend and I are thinking about getting her one for discipline reasons. Right now we have the kitchen gated off and let her have that as her area with a little bed, her food, water, and toys, so it's a bit difficult to really put her to bed since she physically has so much more space to walk around in.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

dog might be deaf. post pics to help diagnosis.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I think she was in a crate when she was being fostered but she isn't with us, though my girlfriend and I are thinking about getting her one for discipline reasons. Right now we have the kitchen gated off and let her have that as her area with a little bed, her food, water, and toys, so it's a bit difficult to really put her to bed since she physically has so much more space to walk around in.

If you ever want the dog to go in the crate don't ever use it solely for discipline. You don't have to crate her all the time, but when you need to confine her for any reason you don't want it to be a huge fight to get her in the crate. Crate time should be happy fun time, but relaxed happy fun time. If she associates the crate with being in trouble she's not going to want to go in there and she's just going to be a big ball of anxiety the whole time. Instead if you need her to chill out you mask it in "happy fun crate time now!" and she'll be all "yay!" while you can enjoy some time without being harassed by a dog.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

If you ever want the dog to go in the crate don't ever use it solely for discipline. You don't have to crate her all the time, but when you need to confine her for any reason you don't want it to be a huge fight to get her in the crate. Crate time should be happy fun time, but relaxed happy fun time. If she associates the crate with being in trouble she's not going to want to go in there and she's just going to be a big ball of anxiety the whole time. Instead if you need her to chill out you mask it in "happy fun crate time now!" and she'll be all "yay!" while you can enjoy some time without being harassed by a dog.
Right, I get that the crate is definitely supposed to be a thing the dog should enjoy and should associate it with chilling out and having a good time but would that really work if she is just going off the wall nuts?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Right, I get that the crate is definitely supposed to be a thing the dog should enjoy and should associate it with chilling out and having a good time but would that really work if she is just going off the wall nuts?

It'll take some time but if you build an association that crate = naps, like if you make a point to put her in the crate around when she usually takes a nap she'll eventually know that crate = chill out and be calm. If she throws a fit in the crate wait till she calms down (this can be excruciating) before you let her out so she doesn't get the idea that if she throws a temper tantrum she gets let out. The key is to do crate training when she's already calm and not bouncing off the walls to build a good foundation.

I inadvertently trained my dogs to chill out when I tell them "bedtime", they could be chasing each other around the house like lunatics but as soon as I tell them "ok it's bedtime settle down" they both hop into bed and curl up and chill out. They're both super high energy herding dogs so I know what it's like to have a dog going nuts when you just want to hang out and chill :)

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

It'll take some time but if you build an association that crate = naps, like if you make a point to put her in the crate around when she usually takes a nap she'll eventually know that crate = chill out and be calm. If she throws a fit in the crate wait till she calms down (this can be excruciating) before you let her out so she doesn't get the idea that if she throws a temper tantrum she gets let out. The key is to do crate training when she's already calm and not bouncing off the walls to build a good foundation.

I inadvertently trained my dogs to chill out when I tell them "bedtime", they could be chasing each other around the house like lunatics but as soon as I tell them "ok it's bedtime settle down" they both hop into bed and curl up and chill out. They're both super high energy herding dogs so I know what it's like to have a dog going nuts when you just want to hang out and chill :)
Cool, alright. I think a crate is definitely going to happen soon, seems like a lot of things are pointing toward it and we'll just have to deal with a slightly smaller kitchen space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Start small. Sit next to her and say her name and reward her if she looks at you and build from there.

Awesome, thanks. I'll definitely try that.

thatbastardken posted:

dog might be deaf. post pics to help diagnosis.

Nah, she's not deaf, she reacts to sound. But if it'll help a more conclusive diagnosis.

Sorry for the quality, I'm no photographer.