Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

everything but the main plot in graces is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

Huh, does the game abandon the traditional 2D-ish gameplay style of the series or what?

As for the FPS cap, I'm guessing that removing it for PC wouldn't be a very big deal.

It plays like Graces except with the kamui system that lets you fuse your party together and you fight on the field screen instead of a dedicated battle screen.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Erg posted:

Jarring isn't generally a positive way to describe something.

I dunno, depends on context, I guess. I wasn't sure if he meant "garish" or "surprising" (i.e. "well, as bad as the game is, the graphics are surprisingly decent").

Anyway, I need a PSX RPG. Here's what I have with me right now:

Brave Fencer Musashi
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy Tactics
Kartia: The Word of Fate
The Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legaia
Parasite Eve
Persona Revelations
Rhapsody A Musical Adventure
Star Ocean II
Suikoden
Valkyrie Profile
Wild Arms
Xenogears

If anyone wants to help me decide what to play, shout out one of the titles and I'll compile the first four unique ones into a list, then let a D4 make the final choice.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

final fantasy 9

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Final Fantasy Tactics

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Final Fantasy 9 is super great, but since someone already said that I'll say Brave Fencer Musashi, which is worth it just for the awful food puns.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Xenogears!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Out of that list, Suikoden for sure.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

If this is a vote system I'm pretty sure I'm gonna lose but Xenogears.

And if this is a "whoever gets my attention the most" system, XENOGEARS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSc59wy4aT4

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

1 - Final Fantasy 9
2 - Final Fantasy Tactics
3 - Xenogears
4 - Suikoden

Let's see what the D4 decides.

EDIT: 3. So, Xenogears.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Codiekitty posted:

I dunno, depends on context, I guess. I wasn't sure if he meant "garish" or "surprising" (i.e. "well, as bad as the game is, the graphics are surprisingly decent").

Brave Fencer Musashi
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy Tactics
The Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legaia
Parasite Eve
Persona Revelations
Star Ocean II
Suikoden
Valkyrie Profile
Wild Arms
Xenogears

If anyone wants to help me decide what to play, shout out one of the titles and I'll compile the first four unique ones into a list, then let a D4 make the final choice.

Persona. That way you can play it for 5 minutes and immediately scratch it off the list.

Serious answer: Musashi.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Brave Fencer Musashi, you dumb gal, or else ya'll gonna get a lickin'.

EDIT: You made a mistake.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 19, 2015

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Codiekitty posted:

1 - Final Fantasy 9
2 - Final Fantasy Tactics
3 - Xenogears
4 - Suikoden

Let's see what the D4 decides.

EDIT: 3. So, Xenogears.

RNG hosed you real hard on this one buddy.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The first half of Xenogears is real good.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

The D4's word is law guys, sorry.

But next time I do a dice throw, I'll just do it with FF9, FFT, Suikoden, and Musashi. Please don't kill me.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

RNG hosed you real hard on this one buddy.

Codiekitty posted:

"You don't scare me, I've played Pier Solar all the way to the end!

Codiekitty fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 19, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

Graces is one of the few titles I haven't played. Did it play more like Star Ocean or something?
Not really. Graces was... unique. In a good way though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc3Y7Hj-smI&t=988s

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Represent

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Brave Fencer Musashi, it's a great action RPG, certainly either best or second best (after Alundra) on PS1.
Shame we never got a sequel.

....Shut up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

al-azad posted:

Serious answer: Musashi.

Yeah, I love FF9 but it's a really involved game. Musashi is like buying a premade cake at the supermarket: it isn't good for you, but you know you're really gonna enjoy it.

Codiekitty posted:

The D4's word is law guys, sorry.

If I accepted the RNG's word as law, I never would've used Cheatengine with Borederlands 2, and that would've been a huge mistake.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
suikoden is good imho

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

A guy dressed in drag? Looks like a great game already.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Codiekitty posted:

Brave Fencer Musashi
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy Tactics
The Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legaia
Parasite Eve
Persona Revelations
Star Ocean II
Suikoden
Valkyrie Profile
Wild Arms
Xenogears

Xenogears then Final Fantasy 9

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Please never play Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'd go with Valkyrie Profile myself

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

The first half of Xenogears is like 80 percent of Xenogears.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Baby Babbeh posted:

The first half of Xenogears is like 80 percent of Xenogears' gameplay

I felt this statement was more or less correct, except XG's second disc is still like twenty hours long. Just, twenty hours of reading and watching text print at speeds ranging from "slow" to "excruciating."

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Harrow posted:

Final Fantasy 9 is super great, but since someone already said that I'll say Brave Fencer Musashi, which is worth it just for the awful food puns.

poo poo, sorry, I missed that you put Musashi at the end there, I just saw "FF9" and moved on. Well, like I said, when (hopefully not "if", the second disc is going to have to suck something fierce for me to bail on it) I finish Xenogears I'll do another toss for those other four.

EDIT: Actually, I'll just go straight to BFM after Xenogears (A) since it would have won if I'd stopped to read, and (B) as an apology for my not being able to read.

Codiekitty fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 20, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The funny thing about Xenogears Disk 2 is that, while it can be slow, it has several of the greatest moments in the game. One part in particular everyone I've ever met loves to pieces.

I'm glad you're giving it a try,, XG is my favorite JRPG ever. If it fails to live up to your expectations, I do apologize because i know it isn't for everyone.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

im fei

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
im emeralda

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I'm still pissed that my Brave Fencer Musashi had a glitch that made it impossible to get past that part where you fight your rival, because it was a truly excellent game up until that point. Really fun mechanics and it doesn't take itself especially seriously, so it was VERY against type for PSX-era Square.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NikkolasKing posted:

One part in particular everyone I've ever met loves to pieces.

Was it the rat getting crucified

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
im the ordinary country doctor

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

corn in the bible posted:

im the ordinary country doctor

that guy owned

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Codiekitty posted:

poo poo, sorry, I missed that you put Musashi at the end there, I just saw "FF9" and moved on. Well, like I said, when (hopefully not "if", the second disc is going to have to suck something fierce for me to bail on it) I finish Xenogears I'll do another toss for those other four.

EDIT: Actually, I'll just go straight to BFM after Xenogears (A) since it would have won if I'd stopped to read, and (B) as an apology for my not being able to read.

The second disc of Xenogears is my favorite part of Xenogears. It's the best part if you're into it for the story, as I was. I've gone back and replayed just the second disc before. Just be ready for it to be mostly text. I think it may help to consider Disc 1 the game of Xenogears and Disc 2 to be just a really nice 10 hour long ending. After Disc 1, the game is over. Disc 2 is your reward. The best RPG reward ever.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

I felt this statement was more or less correct, except XG's second disc is still like twenty hours long. Just, twenty hours of reading and watching text print at speeds ranging from "slow" to "excruciating."

Late 90s Square seems to be all about excruciatingly slow dialog.

Many soldiers who returned from the war... had no jobs... l...i...t...t...l...e..............................m...o...n...e...y

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

al-azad posted:

Late 90s Square seems to be all about excruciatingly slow dialog.

Many soldiers who returned from the war... had no jobs... l...i...t...t...l...e..............................m...o...n...e...y

Slow dialogue and unskippable cutscenes can go diaf

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It's the best part if you're into it for the story, as I was. [...] Just be ready for it to be mostly text [...] Disc 2 is your reward. The best RPG reward ever.

If you consider 10+ hours of tiny, slow JRPG text boxes to be a reward, I hate to see what you think is a punishment.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

The funny thing about Xenogears Disk 2 is that, while it can be slow, it has several of the greatest moments in the game. One part in particular everyone I've ever met loves to pieces.

Which one was it? Mine is the whole part with the Wels and releasing everyone's potential with nanomachine rain, it's just so creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Super Ninja Fish posted:

The second disc of Xenogears is my favorite part of Xenogears. It's the best part if you're into it for the story, as I was. I've gone back and replayed just the second disc before. Just be ready for it to be mostly text. I think it may help to consider Disc 1 the game of Xenogears and Disc 2 to be just a really nice 10 hour long ending. After Disc 1, the game is over. Disc 2 is your reward. The best RPG reward ever.

Yup, if you're into the story, then disc 2 is great because you get a lot of sweet plot dumped on your lap. That said, there are a lot of things I really wish we'd been able to see happen, such as (HUGE late game Xenogears spoilers)Bledavik being destroyed by Solaris's mobile weapon, actually visiting the Soylent facilities, actually fighting some of Krelian's human/machine hybrids, see whatever the hell happened to Jessie and Yui, having some battles with the angel enemies before you get the Xenogears, so you could see just how outclassed humanity was, and most importantly, see when and how Shevat got loving shot out of the sky (I mean, it was probably shot down by Merkava's cannon, but still).