Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
we did java first year and c# second, seems to be common. idk why really but anything java strikes me as really bad. maybe its damage from the countless exploits, using azureus before utorrent or all the lovely school projects ive witnessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

my very first programming course in 9th grade was VB6, second semester was perl. 10th grade was pascal 11th was c++

sweet curriculum

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

JawnV6 posted:

yeah, turns out lacking half the letters in HVAC affects some use cases

i have a couple of air conditioners i put in the windows when it gets really hot out. usually only need them for a couple weeks.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Maximum Leader posted:

we did java first year and c#

wtf learning institution is teaching c# :stare:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

how many homes really have the V anymore?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Maximum Leader posted:

we did java first year and c# second, seems to be common. idk why really but anything java strikes me as really bad. maybe its damage from the countless exploits, using azureus before utorrent or all the lovely school projects ive witnessed.

java's garbage for user-facing but it's hugely popular for backend stuff, it's gonna be the next cobol lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Endless Mike posted:

my childhood home had a swamp cooler and an aircon

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Endless Mike posted:

rich mcmansion homes pay special attention and have computer controlled outside air intake systems because we are so better at sealing houses now into a literal sterile bubble that never exchanges any air

regular homes, gently caress you, got mine

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

graph posted:

wtf learning institution is teaching c# :stare:

im in informatics so we might be doing different stuff, not sure if comp sci are doing c# but they do java, c++ and asm for sure. im not american though.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

cis degree at my college did c#, but the cs degree was java, then that or c for higher levels

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

carry on then posted:

java's garbage for user-facing but it's hugely popular for backend stuff, it's gonna be the next cobol lol
this

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
COBOL will be the next cobol. we will never replace it. :twisted:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

carry on then posted:

:agreed:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Citizen Tayne posted:

COBOL will be the next cobol. we will never replace it. :twisted:

As the magic wizard beardos that every bank keeps close to their chests die off, so will COBOL a bit.

it wont go away overnight but its advocates will stop pushing cobol and start pushing daisies

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ugh, trigger warning please

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Maximum Leader posted:

java is rly good for heavy lifting backend stuff. having normals run random native code off the internet is gonna be dumb no matter what language it is.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

rich mcmansion homes pay special attention and have computer controlled outside air intake systems because we are so better at sealing houses now into a literal sterile bubble that never exchanges any air
The best part about this is that anyone who just thinks that more insulation is more gooder makes their house into a mold colony due to the amount of humidity people themselves and stuff like showers put out. There HAS to be some air exchange. But it doesn't stop the Grover-inclined from ignoring advise and doing it anyway

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

qirex posted:

startups should write stuff in java because then when it fails they'll be able to get jobs at real companies

v good point

guess I assumed they're all plang hipsters because why not if you're gonna greenfield your artisanal health and safety violation enabler but you're never gonna hit 10x if you don't know your tools inside and out

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Jonny 290 posted:

As the magic wizard beardos that every bank keeps close to their chests die off, so will COBOL a bit.

it wont go away overnight but its advocates will stop pushing cobol and start pushing daisies

It's easier to replace the advocates than it is to replace 40 years of testing.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's easier to replace the advocates than it is to replace 40 years of testing.

nobody went to school for that poo poo since 1990 and if they do, they know the jig and will be asking for one meeelion dollars. it'll fade imo

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If it hadn't faded by now it's not going to. They haven't taught COBOL in 2 full generations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FCKGW posted:

WSJ put together a cool chart with all the bubble companies in the new web economy

http://graphics.wsj.com/billion-dollar-club/

you can even play back the positions as they changed over the past 12 months.

Xiaomi is pretty legit

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Munkeymon posted:

just got around to watching silicon valley and I'm wondering if java really is that common in startups out there or whether that's the big language the writers have actually heard of

i mean mike judge was actually in silicon valley in the late-80s, so some of the content might be dated

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Jonny 290 posted:

nobody went to school for that poo poo since 1990 and if they do, they know the jig and will be asking for one meeelion dollars. it'll fade imo

- Industry analysts in 1982

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

WSJ put together a cool chart with all the bubble companies in the new web economy

http://graphics.wsj.com/billion-dollar-club/

you can even play back the positions as they changed over the past 12 months.

i'm not sure i'd put xiaomi and palantir in the same category as uber

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
fact of the matter is, for places it is still in use, there's no reason to replace cobol. there are only so many ways to calculate how many hours Mike worked last week and cut him a check. that's a solved problem and the flavor of the month language won't improve doing that at all.

it is still in use for a good reason.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 21, 2015

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
("because it's old" is not a good reason)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sassafras posted:

If the smart money can't distinguish the two, who are you to think you can?

lol there's no smart money in silicon valley

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bhodi posted:

If it hadn't faded by now it's not going to. They haven't taught COBOL in 2 full generations.

a buddy of mine had to learn it in order to work for nasa

turns out even modern photography satellites use it

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
space is up there with medicine in that it will cost them far too much money to create new standards and poo poo for them to be able to use a new language, so they have to stick with what they always used (and possibly be worse off )

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

bobbilljim posted:

space is up there with medicine in that it will cost them far too much money to create new standards and poo poo for them to be able to use a new language, so they have to stick with what they always used (and possibly be worse off )

if an old standard does everything they need it to, why change? why would a satellite imaging application benefit from a new codebase in a flavor of the month language?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

if an old standard does everything they need it to, why change? why would a satellite imaging application benefit from a new codebase in a flavor of the month language?

...disruption?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

a lot of physics and astronomy stuff is also written in fortran.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

make the satellite imaging application more agile

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
changing a codebase for an established product costs many many millions of dollars, so there absolutely better be a real benefit. "It's newer" is not a benefit.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hubble firmware v 6.0
- new filters: Slumber, Crema, Ludwig, Aden, Perpetua

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
newer langs have some useful poo poo and they could draw on newrr libraries. but yeah, yall are probably right

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
computer science majors seem to do java now while non-cs but still math heavy people (so, engineers or physics majors) seem to do whatever, from fortran to python

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

computer parts posted:

computer science majors seem to do java now while non-cs but still math heavy people (so, engineers or physics majors) seem to do whatever, from fortran to python

matlab lol

• Locked thread