Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jadaris
May 9, 2003

I am Leto, Lion of Atreides
Shovel Knight theme is the best theme c/d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Jadaris posted:

Shovel Knight theme is the best theme c/d

d

it's this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPmzoCxgrp0

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What sort of game is Monster Hunter? I see it is well-regarded but I can't figure out exactly what it is.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Waltzing Along posted:

What sort of game is Monster Hunter? I see it is well-regarded but I can't figure out exactly what it is.

It's Monster Hunter. Download the demo.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Waltzing Along posted:

it is an action rpg where you kill monsters with dark souls combat, then if you kill enough of them you can make better swords or guns or whatever. also it has coop, and kitties.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I'm so happy I could cry

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You quite literally just hunt monsters in Monster Hunter. I'm not a fan of it, I think it's boring, but people love it and play it to their heart's content.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

corn in the bible posted:

it is an action rpg where you kill monsters with dark souls combat, then if you kill enough of them you can make better swords or guns or whatever. also it has coop, and kitties.

Is there a story? Or is it just fighting poo poo, upgrading, fighting bigger poo poo, upgrading.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's worth trying the demo for MH4 at least because it's the kind of thing where if it clicks with you then you can easily put like hundreds of hours into it

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I get the worst controls whiplash switching between Majora's Mask and Monster Hunter. :negative:

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there a story? Or is it just fighting poo poo, upgrading, fighting bigger poo poo, upgrading.

From what I've played, there is a story, but the story is secondary to the gameplay; it's just a reason to get you to new areas and have you check out new monsters to kill.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Waltzing Along posted:

"Ah man, that things is big and looks scary. Let's kill it." - This is, with barely any exaggeration, the bulk of the story.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

the story is you are in a caravan of people who hunt monsters, and you hunt them and then go to a new place with bigger monsters

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

noirstronaut posted:

"Ah man, that things is big and looks scary. Let's kill it." - This is, with barely any exaggeration, the bulk of the story.

I think I'll stick to my Zeldaing and Laytoning with a side of Mario Karting.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

noirstronaut is scared of kut-ku which is why he doesnt like monster hunter this is canon

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Waltzing Along posted:

I think I'll stick to my Zeldaing and Laytoning with a side of Mario Karting.

I do think you should try the demo at least. I mean, it takes away from what's already very desolate anyway, but it might be something you like.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
man wouldn't it be fantastic if MH4 had gyro aiming for the long-range weapons?

this is seriously a million dollar idea capcom i'll be waiting for my check in the mail

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Awesome! posted:

you can certainly play for dozens of hours without repeating a quest or monster but you probably won't be making much new gear in that time
Nah, if you're capping everything you'll probably get enough drops to get you most of the way to a full set for a lot of the LR armors. Not that there's any reason to worry about crafting LR stuff, you're gonna replace all that when you get to HR anyway.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I found a new 3DS today and picked it up. Question about the system transfer: I only have the one charger (NINTENDOOO :argh:); if my old 3DSXL was on a full charge and I have the new one plugged in, will the system transfer finish before the old 3ds runs out of juice? I have to go back to work in a few minutes so I can't be here to swap cables.

(ed)

Awesome! posted:

noirstronaut is scared of kut-ku which is why he doesnt like monster hunter this is canon
To be fair a firebreathing chicken is kind of frightening, it's true

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Ciaphas posted:

I found a new 3DS today and picked it up. Question about the system transfer: I only have the one charger (NINTENDOOO :argh:), if my old 3DSXL was on a full charge and I have the new one plugged in, will the system transfer finish before the old 3ds runs out of juice? I have to go back to work in a few minutes so I can't be here to swap cables.

Depends on how much stuff you have. Mine took 2.5 hours (maxed 4GB), which is about half the life of an XL.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I found a new 3DS today and picked it up. Question about the system transfer: I only have the one charger (NINTENDOOO :argh:), if my old 3DSXL was on a full charge and I have the new one plugged in, will the system transfer finish before the old 3ds runs out of juice? I have to go back to work in a few minutes so I can't be here to swap cables.

The transfer is fairly interactive at times, so I'd wait til you get home again. Just charge up the new one for now since it arrived at a half charge at best.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ciaphas posted:

If you follow the video, you will be fine.
If you want to skip the PC part and just do the whole thing wirelessly, you should be fine if both are charged UNLESS you have a huge SD card that is full. In that case it would be best to have both plugged in.

I did it via wireless and it took about 45 mins. I didn't even have a gig of data on my SD card, though.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
system transfer (assuming you aren't doing full card-to-card wifi transfer) takes about an hour, but you kinda have to babysit it so you might wanna wait till you get home anyway

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

capping one monster is probably not gonna get you one of their weapons of one piece of their armor usually. and dozens of hours would hopefully mean you're way out of low rank.

i just dont want the guy to get unrealistic expectations of no grinding from that is all. if you get into mh you are going to kill kut ku and velocidrome and rathian etc 50 times each at least and that's just something you have to accept and maybe be a little broken to actually enjoy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cool, thanks. I opted to do the second option (transfer licenses only I guess?) because I have no idea how big the card in my 3dsxl is and forgot until I'd already started that I could check easily :downs:

As I wrote this post it's gotten to about 60% though so yeah it'll be done before I even have to go back :)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Woops.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Ciaphas posted:

Cool, thanks. I opted to do the second option (transfer licenses only I guess?) because I have no idea how big the card in my 3dsxl is and forgot until I'd already started that I could check easily :downs:

As I wrote this post it's gotten to about 60% though so yeah it'll be done before I even have to go back :)

Well, you'll need to transfer the stuff over and you'll need a MicroSD reader, an SD card reader, and then a #0 screw to open your new XL to get the MicroSD out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Well, you'll need to transfer the stuff over and you'll need a MicroSD reader, an SD card reader, and then a #0 screw to open your new XL to get the MicroSD out.

I was led to understand that after the System Transfer was done I'd get the option to redownload my games, and my saves would be waiting and ready. :confused:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

Speaking of, the screw part was laughably easy. I was sweating it with popping off the cover though. It did not feel very sturdy at all.

Ciaphas posted:

I was led to understand that after the System Transfer was done I'd get the option to redownload my games, and my saves would be waiting and ready. :confused:

You'll need to transfer your SD card since you chose licenses only. If you have a regular SD card in your old one, you'll need to use a PC to copy from that card to the new micro.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ciaphas posted:

That sounds about right. I believe it transfers saves and stuff and if you are going to use a bigger SD card, you then copy it all manually. It's not the most elegant system in the world as evidenced by all the confusion in this thread. Part of the problem is the instructions are so simple and don't cover any of the obvious questions that would come up.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I posted this series of thoughts about Monster Hunter in the Wii U thread last week. I've played a bunch of 3U and still haven't progressed very far into it; maybe I can help you decide if it sounds fun:

Monster Hunter is really fun and addicting, but my recommendations for it are usually full of negatives because there are some pretty big barriers to entry that might turn you off before it clicks. I bought it for Wii not really knowing what to expect and dropped it after about a week; years later I bought it for Wii U knowing exactly what to expect and I love it.

- It's basically a loot grind, but the way that grind is implemented is super rewarding. Basically you kill a big monster and see that you can make a hammer out of his tail or a sword out of his claws, so you kill him a few more times to collect body parts and make that, then you see you can upgrade that weapon into something cooler with even more body parts from that monster or other monsters. Same with armor. There's a ton of options and the art design is top notch so you always have something to work toward; there's countless sets of armor and each of the dozen weapons has a HUGE upgrade tree. The other night I completed a set of armor made from a fish monster's skin that lets me swim better, and a huge fuckoff fire sword made from a dragon's talons, and went after a swimming monster that's weak to fire and beat the poo poo out of him and it was awesome.

- Combat is very deliberately paced. Fights are long: 20 minutes or more is pretty common. Most weapons have attack animations that can't be cancelled out of, so when you attack you're committing to that motion and making yourself vulnerable. This is by design; the point is to read the monster's movements. At first this means a lot of circling and waiting for openings; once you're more familiar with a monster this means getting right in his face and positioning yourself just right and timing your blows so you're endlessly smacking him while his hits are barely missing you.

- The combat is surprisingly deep. There are a dozen categories of weapons that all have unique movesets, and dozens of monsters. Some are big brutes that will charge and stomp on you, others will hop around spitting poison at you, others will fly into the sky and divebomb you. You knock them down and cut off their tails and break their horns and smash their legs and this all affects their movements as well as the rewards you get from beating them. There's a lot of variety and it's really fun to learn each monster and try out each weapon and decide what may or may not work for each fight. The weapons range from small daggers to huge hammers to guns to lances to a giant bludgeon that plays songs to buff you and your party. I have about five categories of weapon that I enjoy using and I rotate between them for variety and depending on the monster I'm fighting.

- The game is entirely about the combat. There's no "open world"; there's a town and crafting and stuff, but it's all to service the combat. The different regions are fairly large maps, but are broken up into discrete zones with load screens in between. This was honestly the most disappointing part of the game for me.

- It takes a while to get going. I can't speak for 4, but 3U takes a couple hours teaching you the basics of the supplemental stuff like crafting, resource harvesting, and item usage before you get to fight anything interesting.

That's pretty rambling because I'm posting from a phone, but if the above game sounds appealing, get it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just saw this:

64 gig micro SD card for $20 or so:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7673956-64gb-patriot-signature-class-10-microsdxc-card-w-adapter-21-after-5-rebate-amp-more

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also worth mentioning that Monster Hunter, in addition to guns and lances, has a lance that is also a gun. This makes it a Good Game all on its own!

(ed)

I'll take that up at some point, thanks. Transferring data between microSD cards just takes a reader, a PC and time, right, no fancy shenanigans on the N3DS?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

yes. go to the eshop and log in and you can redownload your games and they'll load the saves that were transferred.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

- It takes a while to get going. I can't speak for 4, but 3U takes a couple hours teaching you the basics of the supplemental stuff like crafting, resource harvesting, and item usage before you get to fight anything interesting.

That's pretty rambling because I'm posting from a phone, but if the above game sounds appealing, get it.

I hadnt played one before 4, but within like half an hour I was doing a hunt in the single-player campaign, fighting a moderately big dinosaur with my mario cat. i think they deliberately put hunts in between tutorials for just that reason -- so you don't get bogged down before doing anything cool.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Monster hunter is a polarising game some people think it's dumb

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Thanks for monster chat all. Sounds like it's worth a try, gonna play the demo and see if BB ever gets any back in stock before they stop there 10 gift card with it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

tlarn posted:

I get the worst controls whiplash switching between Majora's Mask and Monster Hunter. :negative:

I played about an hour of Majora's Mask and decided I'm not even touching it again until I'm "done" with Monster Hunter, which will likely be many months from now.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

majoras mask and mh both got delivered on the same day. mm hasnt been in the 3ds once yet

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Looper posted:

Holy poo poo what!! :woop:

Live-a-Live's 20th anniversary was a few months ago and this is their way of celebrating.

They said they were gonna re-release it on VC in time for the anniversary but I don't think that ended up happening (and it sure as hell won't happen over here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Ciaphas posted:

Also worth mentioning that Monster Hunter, in addition to guns and lances, has a lance that is also a gun. This makes it a Good Game all on its own!

(ed)

I'll take that up at some point, thanks. Transferring data between microSD cards just takes a reader, a PC and time, right, no fancy shenanigans on the N3DS?

Yeah, I did it last night. The most time consuming thing was figuring out the card reader on my laptop was moving the read lock in the adaptor down making the card write protected. Other than that expect a 15 minute job.

I was even able to remove the 3DS cover without a video or posting incessantly on an internet forum asking how to do it. This has to be the most overblown goon thing I have ever witnessed.