Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I was thinking of starting a Very Serious People thread for people like Wolf Blitzer and Tom Friedman and David Brooks and Ross Douthat and Fareed Zakaria. It's an interesting contrast; the guys I just mentioned are "reasonable" defenders of the status quo while the right wing media sphere is the screaming id of a subset of Americans.

But, I'm bad at writing OPs and the thread doesn't sound like it would be terribly interesting.

I like this idea, but at the same time it seems fun to post about them in the USPol thread in general as those guys say dumb things, but aren't necessarily worthy of being on Right Wing Watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think after over 200 years of stuff that is supposedly done in the best interest of people with clearly negative results I'm not really going to give conservative lawmakers and politicians the benefit of the doubt that they are trying to do good but they are misguided by whatever. When they pass laws to strip people of the ability to vote, try and undo civil rights legislations, to cram people in to ghettos, move away when minorities move in and then leave schools underfunded, remove the ability of women to be in control of their bodies but then do nothing to help the unwanted children that results in, take food from the mouths of the hungry, kill people in other countries because it will help you politically, allow friends to pollute the earth and poison people because they give them money, etc, etc, etc you can't just say they think they are making the country a better place for anyone except themselves and their friends. Maybe there are uninformed people that vote conservative because they don't know better and live in a bubble but the people at the top making the decisions know exactly what the score is and who they are loving.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

BiggerBoat posted:

It's been brought up. There have been several Bill Maher and Micheal Moore de-rails. There was the Brian Williams discussion and few back and forths about Racheal Maddow.. I think when someone outside of FOX and AM radio fucks up or lies with impunity, it's worth bringing up here. The point of the thread, as I intended it at least, was to point our how the right wing media does this sort of poo poo every single day.

Maybe the next thread should just be a "U.S. Media" thread?

U.S. Media: Lying loving Liars loving Lying

Radish posted:

I think after over 200 years of stuff that is supposedly done in the best interest of people with clearly negative results I'm not really going to give conservative lawmakers and politicians the benefit of the doubt that they are trying to do good but they are misguided by whatever. When they pass laws to strip people of the ability to vote, try and undo civil rights legislations, to cram people in to ghettos, move away when minorities move in and then leave schools underfunded, remove the ability of women to be in control of their bodies but then do nothing to help the unwanted children that results in, take food from the mouths of the hungry, kill people in other countries because it will help you politically, allow friends to pollute the earth and poison people because they give them money, etc, etc, etc you can't just say they think they are making the country a better place for anyone except themselves and their friends. Maybe there are uninformed people that vote conservative because they don't know better and live in a bubble but the people at the top making the decisions know exactly what the score is and who they are loving.
Sometimes. Some people KNOW that removing any sort of environmental safeguards will doom species and ecosystems. Others just kinda think "there's always more trees" in a very short-sighted and scientifically illiterate manner. Same impetus though: creating jobs/getting oil/whatever profit-drive scheme someone hatches.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Pander posted:

U.S. Media: Lying loving Liars loving Lying
Sometimes. Some people KNOW that removing any sort of environmental safeguards will doom species and ecosystems. Others just kinda think "there's always more trees" in a very short-sighted and scientifically illiterate manner. Same impetus though: creating jobs/getting oil/whatever profit-drive scheme someone hatches.

U.S. Media: Liars, Shills and Cowards, oh my!

I think a title like that can encompass everything from Wolf Blitzer, Don Lemon and Tom Friedman on one end to Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh on the other.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

I didn't know Konami had a magazine

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Radish posted:

:words: the people at the top making the decisions know exactly what the score is and who they are loving.
yeah but the pussy game ridiculous

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I was thinking of starting a Very Serious People thread for people like Wolf Blitzer and Tom Friedman and David Brooks and Ross Douthat and Fareed Zakaria. It's an interesting contrast; the guys I just mentioned are "reasonable" defenders of the status quo while the right wing media sphere is the screaming id of a subset of Americans.

But, I'm bad at writing OPs and the thread doesn't sound like it would be terribly interesting.

I'd like this, as I'm sorta vaguely aware that people like Blitzer might be blow hards, but frankly I don't watch them enough to back it up. And basically all my Young Liberal Friends eat up anything he says.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Breitbart publishes this article about MMA Fighter

RONDA ROUSEY TO BREITBART: YOU ARE WHAT WE NEED TO CHANGE ABOUT THIS CULTURE

Pretty reasonable response by her. Further down the page in the article they post her naked Sports Illustrated Body Issue cover.

And then come the comments to prove her point.

I know UFC tickets are like $200 or something dumb like that but I'd pay that multiple times over if they had a Ronda Rousey vs Morbidly obese misogynist comments section conservatives bout.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

MaxxBot posted:

I know UFC tickets are like $200 or something dumb like that but I'd pay that multiple times over if they had a Ronda Rousey vs Morbidly obese misogynist comments section conservatives bout.

so many armbars breaking elbows

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/daily-caller-article-headline-kill-all-jews

quote:

Tucker Carlson Blames 'Hungover' Editor For 'Kill All The Jews' Headline

Tucker Carlson, the editor-in-chief of the conservative news site The Daily Caller, told TPM on Thursday that a "hungover" editor was to blame for a headline on the site's "Guns and Gear" section that included the phrase "Kill All The Jews."

The post, originally headlined, "Kill All The Jews And When That Is Done Kill Those That Refused To Defend Them," was published on Tuesday.

The article, written by Maj. Gen. Jerry R. Curry, a retired US Army veteran and former assistant to the Ford, Carter, Reagan and Bush administrations, argued that Muslim terrorists targeting Jews will soon turn to other groups such as Christians, "just as the Nazis did" during World War II.

"If today the civilized world, led by the United States, doesn’t stand up and speak out for Israel and the world’s Jews, when Islam comes for the Christians, and it will come, there will be no one left to speak for them," Curry wrote.

Curry's article has since been given a different headline and a note was added beneath it: "Correction: The original headline on this op-ed was wildly inarticulate and perverted the meaning of the piece. We apologize."

(The post's URL still included the phrase "kill-all-the-jews" as of Thursday morning.)

Oh. Then it's settled.

I think the first time a picture of Loesch's husband was posted in this thread, someone said they didn't know she was married to Dr. Strange.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 19, 2015

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The next six posts will be critical

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Lmao at looking like that on purpose.

Also whoever lit that shot did a terrible loving job.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Lmao at looking like that on purpose.

Despite the Anthrax beard and twirly moustache, he still looks significantly less pathetic than Steven Crowder.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
quick someone show me a person with a lengthy/scraggly goatee that looks good.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

quick someone show me a person with a lengthy/scraggly goatee that looks good.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Thank you.

edit: the "very serious people thread" sounds cool. I'd read it.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 19, 2015

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Any thread that gives everyone the opportunity to use :wow: more would be entertaining I'm sure.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

MaxxBot posted:

Please do this. You know there's at least one rear end in a top hat that thinks their set of testicles will give them fiat victory over a trained female fighter and a lot of people who would gladly pay to see him proven wrong.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

How to rock a scraggly goatee:
1) Learn how explode someone's heart at will.
2) ...

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Also like 80% of the output of the Very Serious People is just mealy mouthed nothings and platitudes so most of the thread would be "Matt Yglesias spent a thousand words saying nothing again"

On the other hand there's always like a million people trying to bust in to the ranks of the VSP's so we could probably work on something like that. I dunno if no one else does I have like two hours where I'm gonna be doing nothing but staring at a door tonight so I'll see if I can muster the will to make an OP

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Flaggy posted:

gently caress this guy.

Really. I teach at a school that focuses on ADD, ADHD and autism spectrum kids. I've also taught in public schools. And yes, there is a definite difference between your average student fidgeting and our ADD/ADHD kids. These are kids that you watch when they're showing symptoms and you, or anyone else, would say "Uh, there's something wrong with this kid".

And you can definitely tell when someone "forgot" to take his/her meds!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

QwertyAsher posted:

Also like 80% of the output of the Very Serious People is just mealy mouthed nothings and platitudes so most of the thread would be "Matt Yglesias spent a thousand words saying nothing again"

On the other hand there's always like a million people trying to bust in to the ranks of the VSP's so we could probably work on something like that. I dunno if no one else does I have like two hours where I'm gonna be doing nothing but staring at a door tonight so I'll see if I can muster the will to make an OP

Yeah, Tom Friedman has written some of the most bland and vapid garbage I've ever read, as opposed to actively malicious like a Rush. Though as someone upthread mentioned, an excuse to drop :wow: every post.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

William Bear posted:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/daily-caller-article-headline-kill-all-jews

quote:

...argued that Muslim terrorists targeting Jews will soon turn to other groups such as Christians, "just as the Nazis did" during World War II.

Gott Mit Uns indeed!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

really weird Tatyana/The Outrider cosplay

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

You can see Dana at 6 p.m. nightly on her show on TheBlaze TV channel and Chris at 9 p.m. nightly at the Magic Castle.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

edit: I just noticed he had a soul patch hidden in there. Motherfucking facial hair trifecta.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 20, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

He looks like Guy Fawkes with hair.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

He looks like Guy Fawkes with hair.

he looks like if harlan sanders hung out behind gyms selling fake ecstacy to high school sophomores

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Steven Crowder is a fat virgin who waited til he was married to have sex and then wrote an article about it. Thing is, the article wasn't about him making a personal choice, it was about how his choice to be a stupid virgin made his marriage inherently better than those of us sex havers. Dude is the biggest loving tool on the planet.

I can't wait until he turns 80 and tells us how it's a lot cooler to start smoking weed when you're 80 and everyone else is missing out starting young

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

edit: I just noticed he had a soul patch hidden in there. Motherfucking facial hair trifecta.

ahhahaha lookin rear end

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

FYI this is his O face and his pooping face. True story.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

mr. mephistopheles posted:

ADHD diagnoses are based on a baseline of "normal" that is founded in the status quo and it's entirely possible that's not the way all humans do or are meant to function. It's a valid argument.
I'm fairly certain that "deviation from normal physiology" is literally the definition of disease. The idea of how humans are "meant to function" is nonsense.

That Cambridge article you linked is bona fide though. We've been slinking away from the idea of a dopa or NEpi basis for ADHD for a long time now, and the fallback for a lot of neuro disorders when there is no clear signal transduction failure is "welp, it must be structural!" However there is wide consensus that it is a real disease and that loving Walsh article is loving poisonous to people like me who have suffered from this poo poo for ages.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Yeah, Tom Friedman has written some of the most bland and vapid garbage I've ever read, as opposed to actively malicious like a Rush. Though as someone upthread mentioned, an excuse to drop :wow: every post.

Friedman to me is worse in many ways because he's the poster child for neoliberalism presented as common sense. I would love a Very Serious People thread.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Friedman now is pretty bland but there was a time when he was very much actively malicious. I used to sort of like the guy but after seeing this video I don't think he deserves any more respect than someone like Rush Limbaugh.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwFaSpca_3Q

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Mass resignations and despicable practices at Tea Party News Network

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/02/19/tea-party-news-network-turns-off-the-faithful-with-fight-videos.html

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 20, 2015

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

He comes off as desperate for attention.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Seven Force posted:

He comes off as desperate for attention.
That's crazy. You're crazy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Crowder wasn't even alive the last time that poo poo was funny to somebody.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Posting that Crowder tweet right after listening to Friedman's mealy-mouthed bullshit made me reflexively say gently caress sorta loud here in the library. My labmate came over and asked what it was about and I just said "loving white people".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

TPNN devolves to justifying beating women and slandering black Americans and people are surprised?

"This isn't what we signed up for!"

Well... kinda....