Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Sounds like we have our 2016 Republican candidate then. How can anyone top that? Maybe Walker could get close, but drat.

I warned you all, I warned you. Step back and prepare to embrace the bloodshed. Secretary of HHS Napolitano
Secretary of Defence Wolfowitz
Secretary of Homeland Security Rice
Secretary of State George W. Bush
Tax reform passed through a Republican Congress with Republican support in the Senate
Justice McCulloch
Justice Starr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My Imaginary GF posted:

I warned you all, I warned you. Step back and prepare to embrace the bloodshed. Secretary of HHS Napolitano
Tax reform passed through a Republican Congress with Republican support in the Senate
Justice McCulloch
Justice Starr

Stop quoting from the book of revelations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

My Imaginary GF posted:

Are there any legal restrictions about people in the line of succession other than the vice president being eligible to ascend to the Presidency?

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Are there any legal restrictions about people in the line of succession other than the vice president being eligible to ascend to the Presidency?

They're skipped in the succession if not eligible to serve as president, I believe.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Stop quoting from the book of revelations.

This is why Obama needed to resign 3 months after the 2014 election and make room for Joementum 2016. What does he think his legacy will be when Jeb gets elected with Republican control of Congress and the Supreme Court?

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

They're skipped in the succession if not eligible to serve as president, I believe.

In a 5 to 4 decision, the Supreme Court has found that term limits on the presidency only apply when determining eligibility to stand in elections, not to succession

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

fade5 posted:

"Iran will have a Nuclear Weapon any day now!"

Haven't Iran been a few years away from building a nuclear weapon for about 25 years now?

I mean North loving Korea has managed to cobble together some crude nukes, if Iran seriously wanted nukes shouln't they have some by now?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

Yes, that was a thing during Clinton with Madeline Albright. She wasn't eligible so they would have skipped her.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

muscles like this? posted:

Yes, that was a thing during Clinton with Madeline Albright. She wasn't eligible so they would have skipped her.

Long before that. Kissinger.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Gyges posted:

Also there was a super big charisma gap between both Carter/Reagan and Bush/Clinton. With Carter's other issues other than the economy and Bush seeming pretty out of touch there's more to it than just pointing to the recession and deciding that's why they lost. The recessions certainly didn't help, but just being in a recession isn't a kiss of death.

Also want to point out re. Carter losing to Reagan that Carter was also subject to a huge insurgency in the form of Ted Kennedy's primary campaign. Such a thing is both a symptom and a cause of a weak power base within one's own party and seriously diminishes the power of incumbency.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Deptfordx posted:

Haven't Iran been a few years away from building a nuclear weapon for about 25 years now?

I mean North loving Korea has managed to cobble together some crude nukes, if Iran seriously wanted nukes shouldn't they have some by now?
Yep, that's exactly the point; I was being sarcastic because "Iran is getting nukes any day now" is a running joke in the Political Cartoons thread thanks to how loving long it's been going on and how many cartoons have been made about it:

http://seriouslyanydaynow.tumblr.com/

Seriously, any loving day now man!:rolleyes:

Any loving day n- oh wait, we were just fine with the Shah building nuclear plants back in the 70's.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 19, 2015

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Can anyone tell me how gerrymandering might influence nomination primaries (as opposed to actual elections)? Does recent or past gerrymandering influence primaries at all, as I assume that primary nomination ballots are counted at ward level but tallied as a state-wide figure regardless of wins by ward. Or am I wrong?

Additional question: will voter ID regulations have any influence on nomination primaries?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Deptfordx posted:

I mean North loving Korea has managed to cobble together some crude nukes, if Iran seriously wanted nukes shouln't they have some by now?

North Korea probably had help from China, but in any case yes, Iran's nuclear technology is clearly more geared towards reactor-grade uranium than weapons-grade material.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Justice McCulloch
Justice Starr

More like Justices Yoo and Addington.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cigar Aficionado posted:

More like Justices Yoo and Addington.

Well, sure, if you want a moderate appointment.

Justice Harriot Miers nods dishevelledly

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

^^^^ Ya'll need to stop describing my personal nightmares. It's hard enough to get a good night's sleep.

In other news...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/ron-paul-good-news-that-secession-is-happening#.aiKVEv9y2

Ron Paul posted:

“The Fed is gonna end. There is going to be a defacto secession movement going on. The states are going to refuse to listen to some of the laws. We’ve seen tremendous success already with states saying to the federal government we’re not gonna listen to you anymore about the drug laws. And they’re getting out of it and I think the American people are waking up to that and as far as I’m concerned, the more the merrier.”
So how does Ron Paul continuing to speak out about his pet issues work for Rand? Is he going to own his father's positions to keep the Paul End-the-Fed Express rolling along or is he going to need to run from it to gain credibility with the GOP mainstream?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Who would enforce this? Maury Povich?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Litany Unheard posted:

^^^^ Ya'll need to stop describing my personal nightmares. It's hard enough to get a good night's sleep.

In other news...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/ron-paul-good-news-that-secession-is-happening#.aiKVEv9y2

So how does Ron Paul continuing to speak out about his pet issues work for Rand? Is he going to own his father's positions to keep the Paul End-the-Fed Express rolling along or is he going to need to run from it to gain credibility with the GOP mainstream?

He has his dad throw out the red meat for Ron's base, while Rand talks about the stuff that's more widely liked and avoids discussing his dad. Best of both worlds: he gets to have the crazies vote for him without the crazy coming out of his mouth.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Justice McCulloch
Justice Starr
Are you George Will?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Sounds like we have our 2016 Republican candidate then. How can anyone top that? Maybe Walker could get close, but drat.

Walker just had to back down from taking the words "improve the human condition" and "basic to every purpose of the system is the search for truth" out of the Wisconsin Idea, which has been the governing principle of the UW system for over 100 years. He changed the system's mission to add the words "to meet the state's workforce needs". And he tried to do all this in the same budget bill that cut $300 million in funding from the system.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i fully intend to vote for sarah palin and you big gay lefty retards can not do anything to stop me

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's smelling like Jeb!

The only question I have is how obvious the media blow jobs will be.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nessus posted:

Are you George Will?

George Will has some helluva good drinking stories, if you get the chance to hear them.

Seriously tho, why aren't folks preparing for the fallout of Jeb 2016? Its as if the implications of Bush 2016-2024 with Republican Congressional majorities haven't sunk in yet

now is the time to give Biden your time in iowa and money if you wish to prevent this, while urging Obama to resign

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Blue Raider posted:

i fully intend to vote for sarah palin and you big gay lefty retards can not do anything to stop me

She would be a good president, we need a fun president

It's not like the policies would be any different anyway

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

She would be a good president, we need a fun president

It's not like the policies would be any different anyway

i agree she strikes me as a go getter

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I cannot wait for President Jeb. He'll continue the national security and civil liberty legacy left by Obama.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

TEAYCHES posted:

I cannot wait for President Jeb. He'll continue the national security and civil liberty legacy left by Obama.

i would settle for jeb being on the ticket behind president elect pailin

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm pretty sure America is not ready for a Jeb in the white house.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I'm pretty sure America is not ready for a man named after a Clampett in the white house.

You're thinking of Jed Clampett, and they were ready enough to elect a guy with the name twice despite his MS.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Blue Raider posted:

i agree she strikes me as a go getter

As in... go get the Fox money instead of finishing your term as Governor go-getter?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

My Imaginary GF posted:

George Will has some helluva good drinking stories, if you get the chance to hear them.

Seriously tho, why aren't folks preparing for the fallout of Jeb 2016? Its as if the implications of Bush 2016-2024 with Republican Congressional majorities haven't sunk in yet

now is the time to give Biden your time in iowa and money if you wish to prevent this, while urging Obama to resign
I can't do that because I died from Ebola in that other thread

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

a jeb in the hand is worth 2 in the bush

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm sure you have some sort of hilarious-in-your-head $.99 Ebook novella knocking around after all of this, but it's getting a bit stale.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I'm pretty sure America is not ready for a Jeb in the white house.

J.E.B. Stuart would win with 65% of the popular vote

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
Remind me again just why Obama needs to resign so badly?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Because if he does not, Iran will be invaded and then Russia will nuke the Ukraine.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Hey, you can't let someone off the hook for kicking you out of the whitehouse. You gotta wank over that grudge.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Killing an American citizen without due process and violation of the 4th amendment to the constitution.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Benghazi-ghazi.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gyges posted:

You're thinking of Jed Clampett, and they were ready enough to elect a guy with the name twice despite his MS.

Sorry that was wrong but imo Jebs are equally offensive. Consider what America was willing to do to keep a Mormon out of the country's most exclusive country club; fake Texas accents are one thing but a guy who actually calls himself Jeb is taking the whole hillbilly thing way too far.

Chadderbox posted:

As in... go get the Fox money instead of finishing your term as Governor go-getter?

Sounds like the kind of fiscal sensibility that might finally resolve our debt crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I don't normally pay attention to repub primaries but it's actually important this time since I'm not voting for hillary

• Locked thread