Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Kurieg posted:

I think he's saying "Oh god they think IP phones need computers" not "Oh god they want a phone without a computer"

At least they asked first? I'm not sure how that's a :suicide: type question, it seems like a pretty reasonable enquiry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

At least they asked first?

Agreed, usually they just take the phone and plug both jacks on it into the wall.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

GreenNight posted:

We have a ton of Cisco conference phones with no computers too.

See now so do we, but we have to login into the phone from a computer and use the butt dialler because we get charged extra if we use the phone as normal people would, and it fucks with things as calls are treated as being external.

I also once had to setup an important conference call meeting which A. we don't have the equipment for B. the room wasn't equipped for it C. I was given 15 minutes notice. I pretty much hauled rear end and took a random phone, plugged it into the wall and tried to use the goofy rear end conference call function which I only tested once ever... needless to say it was a giant failure. Of course there's all sorts of ways to do this, but a little heads up would be nice.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

pr0digal posted:

Today the power blew in two offices! I walk in to check it out and what do I see sitting on the floor? A space heater! Which I specifically told them not to use the last time I was in their office.

None of the circuits are tripped but the two rooms aren't getting any power. Now they get to suffer while we get our electricians to come out.

Space heaters are the devil.

I just spent 3 hours at a site replacing computers and every person working there had a space heater going, there was a space heater in a hallway, and one person had a space heater AND an electric blanket. It was probably 85F, and I about had a heat stroke. I do not know why the people in charge of this poo poo enable these people. It drives me insane. And of course they pop the breakers all the time too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You have to login to the phone from a computer to use the phone? The gently caress?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

flosofl posted:

Do wireless users require membership into a specific AD group for authentication or access to specific VLANs used by the WLAN? I know that for RDP, for instance, we have a specific AD group for server access, and while authentication will pass, access will be denied due to AD policy. It may be that as far as the iPhone is concerned authentication passed, and is busily sending DHCP REQUEST while access is being killed further up the chain.

Does the AP show the iDevice as an authenticated client (not the network, the AP)? Are you able to p-cap on the AP? That will tell you exactly where things are breaking down.

I checked the student's AD memberships against other students and grpStudent and domain users seems to be the only memberships students have. The student having the issue is a member of both. As far as the AP goes, I don't have that level of access. The fucky thing is we sent this ticket to our Network folks thinking the user was getting blocked for some reason. Especially since the device would work with a different username signed in, so didn't seem to be the device itself. The username was working as the user could sign into stuff on a campus computer. Network sent it back to Frontline saying the user is not blocked. I don't think we can do anything from our level to fix it. Although now that I sit down and type this I could have the user sign into the office ipad and see if the same thing happens there, then I'll know for sure the problem is following the student.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

GreenNight posted:

You have to login to the phone from a computer to use the phone? The gently caress?

Yep, great fun when people walk off and leave them online and their workstation auto locks after 10 minutes... or when the service inexplicably shits the bed and nobody can dial out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Coredump posted:

I checked the student's AD memberships against other students and grpStudent and domain users seems to be the only memberships students have. The student having the issue is a member of both. As far as the AP goes, I don't have that level of access. The fucky thing is we sent this ticket to our Network folks thinking the user was getting blocked for some reason. Especially since the device would work with a different username signed in, so didn't seem to be the device itself. The username was working as the user could sign into stuff on a campus computer. Network sent it back to Frontline saying the user is not blocked. I don't think we can do anything from our level to fix it. Although now that I sit down and type this I could have the user sign into the office ipad and see if the same thing happens there, then I'll know for sure the problem is following the student.

Well, if he's not getting "wrong password" type prompts he's definitely authenticating correctly to the AP. The order goes Association -> WPA-EAP Auth -> Authenticated. So if he's not getting any kind of invalid password messages he's good on the AP and AD. At that point you need to diagnose the real problem, which is that he's not getting assigned a DHCP address. So, either there's something up with the device or the DHCP service. I would lean more towards the device if he's the only one exhibiting symptoms.

This is where a p-cap on the bridge interface on the AP would allow you to nail down what's happening. Is his REQUEST going out? Is a REPLY with a valid IP coming back? Is he getting a DHCP DENY (did any one check the deny list for his wireless MAC)?

E: If you're able, this is where you lobby getting access to these kinds of tools, because they're non-intrusive, allow you to triage better, and you get to learn a LOT about networking.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 20, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

weird. double post. My bad.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

quote:

you do not have my permission to “close” this ticket… how dare you do so without asking, first.

:allears:

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Can't wait to see where this goes :munch:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

That's amazing!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Super Slash posted:

See now so do we, but we have to login into the phone from a computer and use the butt dialler because we get charged extra if we use the phone as normal people would, and it fucks with things as calls are treated as being external.
The gently caress? What kind of retarded phone system is that? Please let us know so we can never buy it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Whee, CEO had me buy 4K HDTVs for the sales team. He wants to know if I can figure out how to have them toggle between 4K video loops of sports or whatever, and gamifcation-style performance metrics that we pull from live sales data. Like we might have a smaller group of 30 sales reps and it would generate a live leaderboard from an Excel sheet or something.

It seems fun yet daunting. What do you guys think?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Zero VGS posted:

Sounds like a prime opportunity to order one "spare" and use it for "training purposes".

:edit: And by "training purposes" I mean motherfuckin' Tetris tournaments everyday.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zero VGS posted:

Whee, CEO had me buy 4K HDTVs for the sales team. He wants to know if I can figure out how to have them toggle between 4K video loops of sports or whatever, and gamifcation-style performance metrics that we pull from live sales data. Like we might have a smaller group of 30 sales reps and it would generate a live leaderboard from an Excel sheet or something.

WHAT DOES THAT TEXT SAY I CANT READ IT!!!

(Then you take it for yourself, replace it with a 1080 screen, and get thanked for it :v: )

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Well we were using 65-inch 1080p TVs in portrait, up close those are pretty drat blurry. If I can get the scaling and ClearType dialed in for these they should look much better from any distance.

Edit: Really though I'm thinking like something you'd see at a Bowling alley, how the monitors have "attract screen" animations of things then show scores... but in 4K.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
it should amaze me how poorly your company spends on things but sadly im used to it

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
"Help! My computer thinks it's 1980!"

Is your PC blaring out wicked sweet technosynth? :raise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbBCKXgNYWc

Because if so I'm gonna classify that as an intended feature and not a problem. :colbert:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

beepsandboops posted:

Can't wait to see where this goes :munch:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That's amazing!

Legacy email only ISP customer. They pay us next to nothing, asking for unsupported configuration assistance, which was sent to them in the closed email. I responded politely, but clarified that the request was closed correctly and sent them again what we had already confirmed.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

go3 posted:

it should amaze me how poorly your company spends on things but sadly im used to it

If you've seen my other posts you'd know I'm the biggest IT tightwad on the planet, but if the CEO walks up to me and demands Sonos players and flat screens with a deadline of yesterday, my hands are tied. I got the 55-inch 4Ks for $800 each, not even that shabby.

We're making crazy money though so it is conceivable I could actually see an ROI on these if it does boost morale and bring out the competitive bro spirit from the sales dudes. It still hurts inside to see the kind of kickbacks the marketing team buys, flying camera drones and poo poo.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Please tell me that was a new ticket, or reopening the old one. Then you can close the ticket (again) with the comment "Testing account configuration to verify permission is available to close tickets." Then reply to the customer that you do indeed have the appropriate permissions. Or even better, call them and thank them for pointing out a possible misconfiguration in your systems. :v:

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 20, 2015

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Please tell me that was a new ticket, or reopening the old one. Then you can close the ticket (again) with the comment "Testing account configuration to verify permission is available to close tickets." Then reply to the customer that you do indeed have the appropriate permissions. Or even better, call them and thank them for pointing out a possible misconfiguration in your systems. :v:

"Hi, this is Ken with BIG SYSTEMS INC, I'm just following up on your ticket earleir this week to let you know that our system configuration does grant me ticket closure permissions. Your ticket was closed successfully. If you have any questions don't hesitate to submit a new ticket at https://www.id10t.com"

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

kensei posted:

Legacy email only ISP customer. They pay us next to nothing, asking for unsupported configuration assistance, which was sent to them in the closed email. I responded politely, but clarified that the request was closed correctly and sent them again what we had already confirmed.

Did they really, REALLY use the phrase "how dare you?"

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Zero VGS posted:

You can do some very pretty visualizations with very little code in d3 or processing if you want something "fun". If you just want a live leaderboard, I'd guess you can do it in 10 lines of JavaScript

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
God loving damnit I hate our tier 3 team and today was no exception.

We found out the hard way that they decided to push an update to our remote application. Without telling anyone internal or sending any notice out to any clients. What happens?

The update gets flagged as a threat by our antivirus, and EVERY client calls our support desk and main engineers, freaking out about what's going on. We didn't get any advanced notice and nobody on tier 3 bothered to say anything until after our support desk got swamped with calls. Me and my partner engineer are fielding emails and angry/worried calls from clients wondering what's going on and if they need to do anything, so on and so forth.

We get an email about 20 minutes after the incident happens telling everyone that the update was a false positive and they're working to whitelist it in our AV. Meanwhile, I send an email out to the engineers asking why nobody was notified, since I got the alert on my PC and several other engineers in our office saw it too and had no loving clue what was going on. I politely ask if anything had been tested beforehand in our environment or on a basic test PC, and if in the future we could get some notification when an update happens so we can notify clients in the event of a problem.

And in the same vein as a previous post about my passive-aggressive CEO, the jackass does the same thing and complains to my direct manager about the email I sent out. Basically says that it was unprofessional (despite me being completely polite and professional, no foul language or anything like that) and I shouldn't be sending mass emails out like that. This wasn't the first time we've had a problem like this - we rolled out a new tool that lets our clients submit tickets on their own, instead of having to call or email, so it saves the engineer the extra time. Of course the tool gets pushed to several machines, and ends up causing problems like blue screens and random PC freezes when someone tries to reboot or log out. I bring up that mistakes like this are happening more often, and yet I'm the one that gets criticized and reprimanded for calling out our tier 3 team for not doing their jobs thoroughly, and not communicating anything despite being told time and time again that "communication is key and we need to be sure everyone is in the loop for major changes".

I had a brief meeting with my direct manager, he wasn't upset and absolutely understood my frustration and knew my email wasn't inflammatory or anything. As much as it sucked to do, I told him that if anything happened like this again and I had to bear the brunt of client anger and frustration over another team's mistake, I'll be putting in my resignation. It's some serious bullshit to be told that pointing out a flaw in the system (and suggesting a better solution) gets ME in hot water with management, versus them going after the dipshits that didn't follow procedure. I swear, up until a few months ago I used to love this job, but the office politics, special treatment, favoritism and passive-aggressive bullshit from management is really wearing on my nerves.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

It was a response, and I told them it was closed correctly.

Che Delilas posted:

Did they really, REALLY use the phrase "how dare you?"

That was an exact quote, anthonypants can verify.

e: my response:

quote:

Your email account is working as intended, since you are able to send and receive mails. Since it is working, we provided you the correct settings for your smart phone configuration, and advised you that we no longer support the manual setup of email on iphones. Therefore, the ticket was marked as Closed. A response re-opens the ticket; however, the same information applies, and we would recommend that you speak with someone from your cell phone provider, or a genius from the Mac Store.

and I closed it again.

kensei fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 20, 2015

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

kensei posted:

It was a response, and I told them it was closed correctly.

e: my response:

and I closed it again.

I've had people flip a poo poo over the same thing.

"THIS ISSUE IS NOT CLOSED YOU CANNOT CLOSE THIS TICKET UNTIL I AM SATISFIED"

<issue is with client ISP, nothing we can do, closing ticket>

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Thats when the difference between "closed" and "resolved" in jira parlance comes in handy. A response via email automatically re-opens a resolved ticket, but a closed ticket stays closed.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

flosofl posted:

Well, if he's not getting "wrong password" type prompts he's definitely authenticating correctly to the AP. The order goes Association -> WPA-EAP Auth -> Authenticated. So if he's not getting any kind of invalid password messages he's good on the AP and AD. At that point you need to diagnose the real problem, which is that he's not getting assigned a DHCP address. So, either there's something up with the device or the DHCP service. I would lean more towards the device if he's the only one exhibiting symptoms.

This is where a p-cap on the bridge interface on the AP would allow you to nail down what's happening. Is his REQUEST going out? Is a REPLY with a valid IP coming back? Is he getting a DHCP DENY (did any one check the deny list for his wireless MAC)?

E: If you're able, this is where you lobby getting access to these kinds of tools, because they're non-intrusive, allow you to triage better, and you get to learn a LOT about networking.

Yeah that's thing, I logged in as myself on the devices in question. And they both worked for me. Ipad and iphone. I would get a proper ip address and everything. He logs in and bam, 169.254. Weird. The ticket has been moved out of my hands at the moment I'll keep an ear out to see what comes of it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I put in a ticket with Microsoft to get something in Office 365 configured today, the engineer calls me up and spends an hour on the phone not able to figure it out himself with remote control on my admin portal. He had to tell me he'd call me in another two hours once he figured it out, and never did.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Zero VGS posted:

My boss and I did this a few years ago with 1080 plasmas and a crap-ton of Access, Excel and Automate. (I'm sure there are better ways, but we were fumbling through it.) It was a great way to get sexy visuals, but it was pretty flat back then. And it was a good way too make a customer service center look less like a dungeon.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
A verbal request came in:

"Could you please put the intranet on my mozzarella?" :v:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GargleBlaster posted:

A verbal request came in:

"Could you please put the intranet on my mozzarella?" :v:
Good ol Mozzarella FoxFire.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Siochain posted:

"Can. Did. Will do again."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

kensei posted:

That's just so precious.

DigitalRaven posted:

"Can. Did. Will do again."

"I'll prove it. I'll close another one right now. Yep. Still works.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Eh, there's never a benefit to being so adversarial. Just very politely tell them to go gently caress themselves.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Eh, there's never a benefit to being so adversarial. Just very politely tell them to go gently caress themselves.

As long as it's polite, you're good.

I've found "with all due respect" works as well.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Mo_Steel posted:

"Help! My computer thinks it's 1980!"

Is your PC blaring out wicked sweet technosynth? :raise:

It's the Jitterbug Gang, one of the most violent hacker groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Siochain posted:

Where I work we mark tickets as "ready to close" and then wait for the users to close the ticket. Cue having 8 month old tickets that a user responds to because they encountered a related (or something completely new) problem on that server. Or password reset tickets hanging open because the person has left the company.

• Locked thread