Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dr_Amazing posted:

What do you call the genre of movies like Airplane, Hotshots, and the Naked Gun ? I'd call them parodies I guess, but is there a name for a comedy that has constant on screen jokes while the plot is played straight faced?

Those particular films are also made (in some form or another) by Zucker Abrahams Zucker, which can be used to describe the whole genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
Are there any other films like Airplane that spoof a serious film and keep a majority of the original lines intact?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BjU-e01zQ4

Ninja Gamer fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 20, 2015

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

re: plot holes

Has anyone noticed how in every film with famous actors the other characters that interact and meet with them never make a remark like "You sure look like Tom Cruise/Ryan Gosling!"

It plagues a wide swath of films. Is there a term for this?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

re: plot holes

Has anyone noticed how in every film with famous actors the other characters that interact and meet with them never make a remark like "You sure look like Tom Cruise/Ryan Gosling!"

It plagues a wide swath of films. Is there a term for this?

I don't know, but Ocean's 12 did the most amazing inversion of that. Only good thing about that terrible film.

edit: Seed of Chucky/Curse of Chucky do some very bizarre things like this as well. However, no one should watch them. Anyone who's curious and too lazy to google it, let me know. I will happily digress.

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 20, 2015

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It does kind of irrationally irk me whenever characters end up in a very common media trope situation and they act like they have no idea what that thing is, mostly when it happens in Alien movies. But I fully admit I'm kind of a moron about that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snak posted:

I don't know, but Ocean's 12 did the most amazing inversion of that. Only good thing about that terrible film.

That was the worst part of that terrible film.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

It does kind of irrationally irk me whenever characters end up in a very common media trope situation and they act like they have no idea what that thing is, mostly when it happens in Alien movies. But I fully admit I'm kind of a moron about that.

They live in a world without that sort of media. It's either that or they hang a lantern on it in the clumsiest way possible, which is really always a way to excuse lazy writing. "This is by a wide margin the least likely thing to have ever happened, yet it did happen so let's go with it!"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jack Gladney posted:

They live in a world without that sort of media. It's either that or they hang a lantern on it in the clumsiest way possible, which is really always a way to excuse lazy writing. "This is by a wide margin the least likely thing to have ever happened, yet it did happen so let's go with it!"

Yeah, that kind of self-awareness doesn't really work for the tone that some films are trying to achieve. It's like how zombie movies don't exist in zombie movies, or you go to the other extreme and there's always a character that gets very tactical-realist (thread callback!) about the whole situation.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Like "Watchmen", which exists in a universe where superhero comic books never came into popularity and pirates are instead the prominent subject matter.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Probably because when it comes to well-worn tropes the last thing you want to do is remind people of all the other, better treatments of it that they could be watching right now.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah I mean, I know exactly why it happens, and no movie would be made better by having characters go "Holy poo poo, Ghosts!/Aliens!/Zombies!/Whatever! Just like in the Book!/Movie/Game!", It's dumb and irrational.

Klungar posted:

Like "Watchmen", which exists in a universe where superhero comic books never came into popularity and pirates are instead the prominent subject matter.

But this was a really good way of subverting that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

That was the worst part of that terrible film.

I mean, I understand why someone would hate the idea of it, on principle maybe, but the execution was great, and if it was given away in the trailer, I don't remember. The balls to do that, and also hav ea bruce willis cameo as himself was genius. The whole "Remember that scene from Entrapment capoeira past the lasers scene was bad, and y extension, the villain was lame and terrible. Oceans 13, now that was a decent movie. The whole franchise is based on the chemistry and charisma of the actors involved. The Julia Roberts scenes were the strongest part of Ocean's 12, even if the whole idea pissed you off. I thought it was hilarious.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Alien was made 36 years ago. It borrows a lot of elements from oldet films like The Thing From Another World and Planet of the Vampires but a lot of the tropes weren't nearly as established as they are today.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I didn't literally mean 'Movies set in the Alien universe' I just meant movies with aliens in them.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The A was big. :colbert:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FreudianSlippers posted:

The A was big. :colbert:

He could have been talking about Spring Breakers. Though they were actually pretty media-savvy in that one

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Snak posted:

I mean, I understand why someone would hate the idea of it, on principle maybe, but the execution was great, and if it was given away in the trailer, I don't remember. The balls to do that, and also hav ea bruce willis cameo as himself was genius. The whole "Remember that scene from Entrapment capoeira past the lasers scene was bad, and y extension, the villain was lame and terrible. Oceans 13, now that was a decent movie. The whole franchise is based on the chemistry and charisma of the actors involved. The Julia Roberts scenes were the strongest part of Ocean's 12, even if the whole idea pissed you off. I thought it was hilarious.

'Member in fight club where tyler durden makes fun of guys who like "clever", you're that guy

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

thehandtruck posted:

'Member in fight club where tyler durden makes fun of guys who like "clever", you're that guy

Okay but arguably the whole point of the plots in Ocean's movies is "clever". Again, movies like that live or die based on the charisma of their cast.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Snak posted:

Okay but arguably the whole point of the plots in Ocean's movies is "clever". Again, movies like that live or die based on the charisma of their cast.

Very charismatic cast, but the whole Julia Roberts thing was lazy writing and really loving annoying to watch.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Maestro posted:

Very charismatic cast, but the whole Julia Roberts thing was lazy writing and really loving annoying to watch.

I mean, I only saw the movie once. I thought most of it was bad but the fact that they did that "wacky meta bit" seemed like a bright point in an otherwise really lazy attempt to recreate the success of the first one. It's not like I'm going to rewatch it just to see if it was worse than I remember. It's just one of those things were it seems like most people who hate it are rubbed the wrong way by the idea, so of course they hate the execution. I thought including the Bruce Willis-playing-himself cameo really helped it along.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Bruce Willis is a charming and funny man and is usually fun to see, yes. That scene was the worst though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Yeah I mean, I know exactly why it happens, and no movie would be made better by having characters go "Holy poo poo, Ghosts!/Aliens!/Zombies!/Whatever! Just like in the Book!/Movie/Game!", It's dumb and irrational.

On the other hand, its really dumb when a movie tries to be clever by giving supernatural creatures new names. This mainly applies to zombies/vampires. its really stupid when they come up with names like Zeds/Virals/Walkers/Etc..

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Speaking of Wacky Meta, I just watched Guardians of the Galaxy and hooooooooo boy.
I want to rewatch it and count how many times the characters get to whedon out. Rocket probably being the worst offender, every other comment is "oh wait... ok, now we're all standing, ok, standing around in a circle, we're on the same page..." just smarmy audience-winking of "Hey look, everyone, look at how ironically detached he is, isn't this loving great" that made me dump a Buffy fan in 9th grade and sure as hell hasn't gotten any easier to listen to.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Quad posted:

Speaking of Wacky Meta, I just watched Guardians of the Galaxy and hooooooooo boy.
I want to rewatch it and count how many times the characters get to whedon out. Rocket probably being the worst offender, every other comment is "oh wait... ok, now we're all standing, ok, standing around in a circle, we're on the same page..." just smarmy audience-winking of "Hey look, everyone, look at how ironically detached he is, isn't this loving great" that made me dump a Buffy fan in 9th grade and sure as hell hasn't gotten any easier to listen to.

Yeah that was my big annoyance with it too. Still a fun watch despite that. Rocket's dialogue did work when he was scanning for bounties and insulting people.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Klungar posted:

The Incredibles comics are written around past villan captures/adventures as are cartoons. Although it's only briefly seen and mainly on the DVD extras.
I think that Tim Allen and the Kurt Russel superhero films did this too?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

IShallRiseAgain posted:

On the other hand, its really dumb when a movie tries to be clever by giving supernatural creatures new names. This mainly applies to zombies/vampires. its really stupid when they come up with names like Zeds/Virals/Walkers/Etc..

Underworld was the first time I ever heard the term lycan to refer to werewolves. I spent the whole movie wondering why they were calling them lichens.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr_Amazing posted:

Underworld was the first time I ever heard the term lycan to refer to werewolves. I spent the whole movie wondering why they were calling them lichens.

So in the TWD universe, people would say "walkers don't make honey so why are they zombies?"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

computer parts posted:

So in the TWD universe, people would say "walkers don't make honey so why are they zombies?"

I don't get what you mean. I'm saying I was confusing lycan
with lichen which has an identical pronunciation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr_Amazing posted:

zombie sounds like bee.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's not really their fault you are retarded.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is there something in The Godfather Part II (or maybe the script) that details what exactly Fredo did to betray Michael? The movie says that he "talked" to Johnny Ola but I don't remember any specifics of how that led to gunmen outside of Michael's bedroom. The only thing I can think of is that he pointed Ola/Roth in the direction of some compound guards that would look the other way for the right price.

Also, is there a definitive point where Al Pacino turned in the maniacal stereotype he is today? I though he was good in Heat despite some textbook crazy Al moments (I love that Hank Azaria's reaction is 100% genuine), but it's still a world away from the first two Godfather movies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

david_a posted:

Also, is there a definitive point where Al Pacino turned in the maniacal stereotype he is today? I though he was good in Heat despite some textbook crazy Al moments (I love that Hank Azaria's reaction is 100% genuine), but it's still a world away from the first two Godfather movies.
He started playing that kind of character fairly early in his career starting with Dog Day Afternoon (although Scarface is probably the key example) and alternated it with more restrained roles. I speculate that Scent of a Woman is the first movie he did that had people saying that he could walk on with his eyes closed (ho, ho) and pick up a paycheck for chewing every bit of scenery within reach.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Halloween Jack posted:

He started playing that kind of character fairly early in his career starting with Dog Day Afternoon (although Scarface is probably the key example) and alternated it with more restrained roles. I speculate that Scent of a Woman is the first movie he did that had people saying that he could walk on with his eyes closed (ho, ho) and pick up a paycheck for chewing every bit of scenery within reach.

People remember the Attica bit of Dog Day Afternoon and get down on Pacino, but it's mostly fairly restrained and only like, marginally more yelling than Godfather Part II the previous year, and way less than Serpico or And Justice For All. Yelling claimed more and more of Al Pacino's career from 1973 onwards, my own theory being he felt he had to catch attention after being about fourth down on the list of actors who got awards attention from The Godfather. Scarface is more or less the dividing line between acting with sporadic yelling in it and yelling with sporadic acting in it (GRRRREAT rear end).

The intrigue in Godfather Part II is left fairly vague throughout but Fredo was approached by Ola (ostensibly to help close the Havana deal), agreed to let Roth's hitmen into the compound, and then killed them before Michael's men could capture them and expose him. The most sense it makes from what Fredo says is that he only thought they were planning some horse's-head type poo poo rather than actually seeking to kill Michael, or at least that's what he'd convinced himself of before the guns started going off. It does require accepting that Fredo is capable of much darker thoughts and actions than you see from Michael's perspective.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

GimpChimp posted:

Scarface is more or less the dividing line between acting with sporadic yelling in it and yelling with sporadic acting in it (GRRRREAT rear end).
Heh, I actually forgot about that movie despite owning it. I guess he did move back and forth a bit since Glengarry Glen Ross was '92 and I would say that was acting with yelling rather than the opposite.

quote:

The intrigue in Godfather Part II is left fairly vague throughout but Fredo was approached by Ola (ostensibly to help close the Havana deal), agreed to let Roth's hitmen into the compound, and then killed them before Michael's men could capture them and expose him. The most sense it makes from what Fredo says is that he only thought they were planning some horse's-head type poo poo rather than actually seeking to kill Michael, or at least that's what he'd convinced himself of before the guns started going off. It does require accepting that Fredo is capable of much darker thoughts and actions than you see from Michael's perspective.
I don't know how Fredo thought that Roth punking out Michael would have helped seal the deal in any way, but maybe that's the point - Fredo was so frustrated and humiliated he wasn't thinking too straight either and fudged the middle part in his daydreams of how everyone would come to respect him. I don't believe either that he actually wanted Michael dead, although there is the chance he was just trying to weasel himself out of retribution when he got caught. The movies never show Fredo doing much of anything that would actually earn him respect so maybe he really just was that drat stupid instead of being unfairly overlooked.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
For Spartacus:

In the restored version, there is a "oysters and snails" scene that is about one character's bisexuality. But I can't for the life of me figure out why it was filmed and what place it has in the film. Is it supposed to be character development, but then how is it relevant? Was it just an attempt to get something past the radar?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
How did they film the ending of The Red Balloon with the boy flying? Googling tells me they didn't use any special effects, but the sites all either explain how they moved the balloon around or give me explanations of the ending's meaning.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Quad posted:

Is "whedon out" a real term people use to describe meta dialogue? GotG was written by James Gunn and Nicole Perlman. I think "Gunning out" sounds cooler.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's also ridiculous. This type of dialogue/humor is hugely in right now. I've heard it in commercials. If you don't like it, that's fine, but attributing it to Joss Whedon (who I also don't care if you dislike) is just ignorant.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

MacheteZombie posted:

Is "whedon out" a real term people use to describe meta dialogue? GotG was written by James Gunn and Nicole Perlman. I think "Gunning out" sounds cooler.

Apropos of nothing, but the Nicole Perlman credit is pretty interesting. She's part of the Marvel system in which basically they hire a writer to throw down a first draft based on a Marvel story so that Marvel can see how something works on the page. When that's done Marvel start pre-viz for the effects, often time before a Director has even come on board. In the case of GotG James Gunn did a complete re-write, except there were some story beats that he couldn't change, and because he didn't change enough of the plot then Perlman still gets a credit.

It made an awkward press tour because there were a bunch of profile stories about how Perlman is a woman with a voice in Marvel, whereas during press junkets Gunn talked about doing a page one rewrite.

I think the only person who actively worked with the original writer was Shane Black, who seemed to genuinely like the original script and decided to work with the writer instead. I think the original guy has spoken about being surprised that Black decided to keep him on because he was expecting to be re-written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Snak posted:

It's also ridiculous. This type of dialogue/humor is hugely in right now. I've heard it in commercials. If you don't like it, that's fine, but attributing it to Joss Whedon (who I also don't care if you dislike) is just ignorant.

But Whedon is largely credited with popularizing the style in the 90s with Buffy, and it's a style he uses in everything he writes. I can't think of an earlier example that was so high profile, so his name is a useful shorthand for the style. What else would you call it that would so clearly and briefly communicate the style?

It's not even a flat insult. Like I hate everything he writes, but people who like him use the term in a positive sense too.