Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Do you have a citation for this? The only thing I can find is the other way around, with women given understated estimates of the risk of down's syndrome.

edit: Hell, there was another page. Well.
Y2K CAUSES AUTISM :byodood: Someone alert the Facebook/Soccer Moms!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

CitizenKain posted:

I'm not even sure you can buy them separate yet.

You can and it's $150, and no not one has been sold in my district.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So you had people saying that all of the missiles were going to launch or all the power plants would simultaneously explode and crap.

It didn't help that the major stations with off-air broadcast power pretty much all did their own made-for-TV movie takes on Y2K catastrophes, and had to preface them all with "THIS COULD ONLY POTENTIALLY HAPPEN" I remember one on NBC about a nuclear power plant in bumfuck, nowhere that was gonna irradiate the entire United States because its central computer failed and the hero had to sacrifice himself(?) to get it back on manual control and keep it from melting down.

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 06:15 on Feb 19, 2015

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Giving e/n a special Tiny Brontosaurus Pointless Slapfight Quarantine Thread was not enough. Every subforum should have one.

Yes it sure is a slapfight to: Know a year.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
In 1995, I got a lovely email from a girl at school making fun of me. I fired up a program called Kaboom! That let you send massive numbers of emails automatically, and wrote a message: "have fun trying to use email." I then left it running overnight. I got a call from her mother the next day. She'd told her mother she didn't know why I was bombing her, and so her mom started screaming at me. My mom snatched the phone up, asked her what happened, and told her to hold on. Mom asked, "did you do this?" "Because she sent me this email." Mom read the email to the lady, told her to gently caress off, hung up on her, then made me uninstall the program.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Croccers posted:

Y2K CAUSES AUTISM :byodood: Someone alert the Facebook/Soccer Moms!

Mothers Against Time start push for the outlawing of clocks to prevent autism.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

The White Dragon posted:

It didn't help that the major stations with off-air broadcast power pretty much all did their own made-for-TV movie takes on Y2K catastrophes, and had to preface them all with "THIS COULD ONLY POTENTIALLY HAPPEN" I remember one on NBC about a nuclear power plant in bumfuck, nowhere that was gonna irradiate the entire United States because its central computer failed and the hero had to sacrifice himself(?) to get it back on manual control and keep it from melting down.

Basically this, The Netherlands didn't have much of a Y2K scare going on and I barely remember news items about the whole thing.

Addendum: in 1998/1999 I was in my first year of still trying to become a network engineer and still over half the people in my class back then didn't have much interest in computers beyond "mom says: it's gonna be the future".

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yes it sure is a slapfight to: Know a year.

you are the most unnecessarily hostile dude i've seen on this place, and i exist

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Regardless what what particular statistic applies to what particular year I would would have been floored beyond belief at anybody past 1995 who thought computers were just a fad or had only seen one in the movies. That would have been kind of surprising in the late 80s to be honest.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Regardless what what particular statistic applies to what particular year I would would have been floored beyond belief at anybody past 1995 who thought computers were just a fad or had only seen one in the movies. That would have been kind of surprising in the late 80s to be honest.

He did say Pennsylvania . Dude's Amish. Don't judge.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Alouicious posted:

you are the most unnecessarily hostile dude i've seen on this place, and i exist
There's an argument on the internet. Hush baby, go back to bed. I can win this one, I can feel it.

I didn't get a PC until 2000, or 2001. Not because of y2k, but because I didn't need one. I had a c64 in the 80s/90s, and used a 386 and amiga 1000 at school, but my parents weren't interested in one and neither I or them could afford one anyway. (My mum got their first PC last year, a laptop with win8)
After moving out of my parent's home in the 90s I spent my money on cars and bought a playstation for gaming. I did intend on doing a comp science degree in 2001 so I got my first PC then (athlon 900, tnt2, 256MB RAM, 20GB HDD).
Also I lost a friend over y2k. He already married a religious woman who's father was a pastor, and they had full on bug out plans; buying land up in the country and transportable buildings and all that stuff. That's all he would talk about in 1998/1999 so I cut contact.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 09:03 on Feb 19, 2015

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Just a friendly reminder that the year 2000, when nobody knew what a computer was, was the year pets.com were advertising during the Superbowl and their sock puppet thing was on Good Morning America.

I mean pets.com was a passing fad but you'd literally have had to be an idiot to think computers were.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I was always a fan of outpost.com's stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cmT8M_67ow

There's a book called F'ed Companies which detailed the shifting sands that was the .dotcom crash. It was based off a blog that routinely got many angry letters from lawyers claiming defamation for reporting firms that sunk or just how useless their services were.

The general killer for dot-com startups were offering services that tried to replicate online! something easily done in life, like coupon collection. Or they offer free delivery and other incentives without really thinking how fast their investments will burn. Or failing to really take into account the severe limits of bandwidth of the time and try to push forth high concepts like internet television.

Other causes of death were assorted forms to launder money, namely Flooz, or other early forms of "digital currencies". Or offering too useful a free service that users didn't buy the pro, such as myspace.com's early days as a file-storage host which offered a whopping 40mb of space, and became a hot ground for piracy.

As for Y2K, this stuff hit well around the late 90's. Computers were pretty common enough for most people to own at least one or to use one on a regular basis, even if it was within a public place like a cafe or library. It was the tipping point where PCs were becoming daily life, yet the surge of the digital revolution was still viewed as terrifying for many.

There's a great breakdown from Nick Davis who writes in Flat Earth News, how a simple hypothetical turned into a global hysteria resulting in billions being spent in testing completely useless devices for Y2K compatibility. I even saw CD-Roms being installed with yellow Y2K complaint stickers.

It also had stuff like this produced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEhEQEG43RU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Was a 'victim' of the dot com bubble, finished my university Computer Programming degree in 1999 with no jobs to go to.
Back then it was was a different mind set, there were some really obviously stupid ideas but some that sound stupid today sounded brilliant.
Back then people were still buying CDs and films by mail, so why not other small items like pet items or gifts or whatever.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Holy poo poo.

Lenovo sold computers with malware preinstalled. Not just some random unwanted adware either, but software that actually does a man-in-the-middle attack on the user, installed its own *root CA certificate*, which means that it's breaking into and reading all your SSL traffic. And as an even bigger facepalm, it uses the same root CA cert for each computer, which means that anyone else who sniffs your SSL traffic can also read it now. So, you know, don't use wifi to check your bank account or anything like that.

http://marcrogers.org/2015/02/19/lenovo-installs-adware-on-customer-laptops-and-compromises-all-ssl/
http://blog.erratasec.com/2015/02/some-notes-on-superfish.html#.VOX1kfnF9pl

But don't worry. To keep the ssl key secure, they stored it upside down:

https://twitter.com/supersat/status/568329299494744065

This is worse in magnitude of gently caress-the-customer contempt than the Sony rootkit debacle was, although it's probably not as widespread.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Ha, ubisofts and sony rootkits were pretty terrible, this is just as bad. When will these companies learn?
Seems like it didn't affect any lenovos before June 2014. That's good, as I recommended lenovo i5 laptops to many people early last year. Still, better to tell them to deny any software/driver updates from them I guess.
Life was so much simpler when you just had to avoid the brands with bad capacitors or video cards.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Feb 19, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

Ha, ubisofts and sony rootkits were pretty terrible, this is just as bad. When will these companies learn?

Never. It doesn't matter how scummy the practice is if there is money to be made off of it somebody, somewhere will do it.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

But we were talking about 1999, do you understand when 1999 is.

Right before the year 1900?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
That didn't take long.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/02/lenovo-pcs-ship-with-man-in-the-middle-adware-that-breaks-https-connections/

quote:

[Update: Rob Graham, CEO of security firm Errata Security, has cracked the cryptographic key encrypting the Superfish certificate. That means anyone can now use the private key to launch man-in-the-middle HTTPS attacks that won't be detected by machines that have the certificate installed. It took Graham just three hours to figure out that the password was "komodia" (minus the quotes). He told Ars the certificate works against Google even when an end-user is using Chrome. That confirms earlier statements that certificate pinning in the browser is not a defense against this attack (more about that below). Graham has a detailed explanation how he did it here.]

Lenovo's response should be an example to companies of how *not* to respond to a PR debacle:

http://news.lenovo.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1929

quote:

We have thoroughly investigated this technology and do not find any evidence to substantiate security concerns. But we know that users reacted to this issue with concern, and so we have taken direct action to stop shipping any products with this software. We will continue to review what we do and how we do it in order to ensure we put our user needs, experience and priorities first.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Saw this quote in an article:

quote:

Hopkins defended the adware, saying that it “helps users find and discover products visually” and “instantly analyzes images on the web and presents identical and similar product offers that may have lower prices."

A dumb move in marketing: Insisting that people want ads shoved in their faces more. I'm pretty sure Hopkins would not enjoy people paying a visit at his house to "help him discover products visually."

In general is there some sort of parasite or mental illness that makes advertisers think they're doing society a favor? I can accept the subtly, trickery or maybe some sleezyness of advertising, but to try to pretend it's something people like just seems nuts.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I figure it's because if you tell them the truth everyone will think your companies sleezy but if you throw out a lie almost everyone will know your sleezy but you might fool a few dumb people.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

In general is there some sort of parasite or mental illness that makes advertisers think they're doing society a favor? I can accept the subtly, trickery or maybe some sleezyness of advertising, but to try to pretend it's something people like just seems nuts.

Either they're sociopaths and they're lying through their teeth, or they're not sociopaths and are deluding themselves as a coping mechanism so that they can justify acting like sociopaths.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Oxyclean posted:

The parasite is called "money".

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

dpbjinc posted:

To be fair, the Wii was also the dumping ground for lovely bargain bin games, and I can't name a third-party title on the Wii anywhere that made good use of motion controls off the top of my head.

Also, Microsoft released an SDK for Kinect on Windows that is intended for actual business use. For one thing, I've seen it used in a FIRST Robotics competition as an alternate control scheme for the robots.

A guy at my school did his undergrad thesis on a robot that retrieves waste containers at a uranium refinery and brings them to the designated storage area. Normally it's a job that people have to suit up in protective gear for.

It used Kinect for vision and for that purpose it seemed remarkably capable and inexpensive.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

A guy at my school did his undergrad thesis on a robot that retrieves waste containers at a uranium refinery and brings them to the designated storage area. Normally it's a job that people have to suit up in protective gear for.

It used Kinect for vision and for that purpose it seemed remarkably capable and inexpensive.
That's neat. Was the robot automated (fully or partially)?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

I heard that Kinect may be useful for doctors during surgery. If a doctor needs to look at some patient information during surgery they can just reach up and wave their hands around instead of removing their gloves, handling the paperwork, washing up again and putting on a new set of gloves.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Ego-bot posted:

I heard that Kinect may be useful for doctors during surgery. If a doctor needs to look at some patient information during surgery they can just reach up and wave their hands around instead of removing their gloves, handling the paperwork, washing up again and putting on a new set of gloves.
I'm a grad student in interaction design/human-computer interaction, and I've actually used Kinect for a prototype before. It's a really convenient way to get motion sensing working cheaply, so long as it won't be used in an area that it could be confused, since it "sees" in IR. It's also drat near impossible to get multiple working together unless you make absolute sure their viewing areas don't overlap at all.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Millennials are immune to advertising.

Wow dude that's a really crazy thing to say, why would you say that

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Grey Fox posted:

That's neat. Was the robot automated (fully or partially)?

Fully automated. From the way he explained it to me, Kinect has something like LIDAR but with discrete points instead of continuous scanning, so it made generating 3D data of the surrounding fairly easy without the complexity of full-on LIDAR.

It might not be as impressive as it sounds in practice though, since it mostly just follows a set path while using the Kinect only to make sure nothing unexpected gets in the way and to make sure it's actually following the expected path.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ishamael posted:

Wow dude that's a really crazy thing to say, why would you say that
Hey did you hear Jon Stewart retired

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

dpbjinc posted:

I can't name a third-party title on the Wii anywhere that made good use of motion controls off the top of my head.
Looks like somebody missed No More Heroes!

To contribute, I think it's already been said, but the WiiU was badly marketed. I would tell my friends that I was thinking about getting it / had gotten it, and many were under the impression it was an add-on the normal Wii instead of a whole new system.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

dpbjinc posted:

To be fair, the Wii was also the dumping ground for lovely bargain bin games, and I can't name a third-party title on the Wii anywhere that made good use of motion controls off the top of my head.

Resident Evil 4 Wii was ace.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

sudonim posted:

Looks like somebody missed No More Heroes!

To contribute, I think it's already been said, but the WiiU was badly marketed. I would tell my friends that I was thinking about getting it / had gotten it, and many were under the impression it was an add-on the normal Wii instead of a whole new system.

I honestly thought it was just a special controller. I had to look it up just now because I seriously didn't even know what it looks like.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
I'm tired of Hershey telling me the proper name for one piece of the one bar they make that has breakable pieces. Stop trying to make "pip" happen, guys - no one cares about your internal terminology, and it kind of sounds condescending, especially in the new version of the commercial where "it's called a pip" comes out of nowhere in the middle of the commercial.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I'm tired of Hershey telling me the proper name for one piece of the one bar they make that has breakable pieces. Stop trying to make "pip" happen, guys - no one cares about your internal terminology, and it kind of sounds condescending, especially in the new version of the commercial where "it's called a pip" comes out of nowhere in the middle of the commercial.

This was a common complaint about Oreos advertising campaign in the UK - the whole condescending "twist it, lick it, eat it" thing. Carefully breaking the top off a custard cream or bourbon before scraping the cream off with your teeth and eating what's left has been done for years here (by kids and, er, me) so we hardly need to be told how to eat a biscuit.

The fact that Oreos are foreign and, worse than that, American, didn't help either. This is the rubbish they came up with. The most sold biscuits in the UK are digestives/rich tea/hobnobs/bourbons/custard creams, all of which have a dozen generic rip offs so they hardly bother advertising on TV anyway. One of the few companies that does is Jaffa Cakes - notice that you don't even see the biscuit until the last few seconds of the advert.

Having said that Oreas haven't actually done too badly and they're now manufactured here, although a market share of 1% for the worlds favourite cookie is... well, quite bad.

Oh and the original recipe in 2008 contained cheese :lol:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

duckmaster posted:

This was a common complaint about Oreos advertising campaign in the UK - the whole condescending "twist it, lick it, eat it" thing. Carefully breaking the top off a custard cream or bourbon before scraping the cream off with your teeth and eating what's left has been done for years here (by kids and, er, me) so we hardly need to be told how to eat a biscuit.

The fact that Oreos are foreign and, worse than that, American, didn't help either. This is the rubbish they came up with. The most sold biscuits in the UK are digestives/rich tea/hobnobs/bourbons/custard creams, all of which have a dozen generic rip offs so they hardly bother advertising on TV anyway. One of the few companies that does is Jaffa Cakes - notice that you don't even see the biscuit until the last few seconds of the advert.

Having said that Oreas haven't actually done too badly and they're now manufactured here, although a market share of 1% for the worlds favourite cookie is... well, quite bad.

Oh and the original recipe in 2008 contained cheese :lol:

Speaking of Oreos, they recently launched a series of ads 'introducing' Oreos to Belgium, supposedly the last country in the world to not have them. Despite them being widely available here since the early 2000's. The ads were not well received, as they are also annoying and condescending as gently caress.

Fishstick has a new favorite as of 13:28 on Feb 24, 2015

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I remember being quite excited about trying Oreos when they started appearing in shops since I'd seen in them in so much American media, but the product didn't live up to the brand recognition, especially compared to the aforementioned custard creams etc. My brand loyalty to Tunnocks is extremely strong as well...

Chas McGill has a new favorite as of 13:40 on Feb 24, 2015

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
NPR just did an unelightening piece on millenials:
http://www.npr.org/2015/02/24/388592666/how-do-you-market-to-millennials
It makes we wonder why anyone gives a poo poo about us anyway. We're broke.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

jidohanbaiki posted:

NPR just did an unelightening piece on millenials:
http://www.npr.org/2015/02/24/388592666/how-do-you-market-to-millennials
It makes we wonder why anyone gives a poo poo about us anyway. We're broke.
Wow, you're right, that sucked. Just a bunch of millennials sitting around and pushing the same tired stereotypes that have been hammered into their brains over the last decade by Gen X'ers and Boomers with no self-awareness.

IBM did a much more extensive study that's relevant here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-leadership/wp/2015/02/23/what-you-think-about-millennials-is-wrong/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The stuff that Millennials said they didn't like in that NPR piece were pretty good, but the stuff they said they did like seemed really spurious. Just general pageantry by the sound of it.

Even then this comes across as "people are generally not as narcissistic or entitled as we're drilled to think they are?" Well no poo poo. 9 times out of 10 when I notice someone pissed off at a young person it's for a few obvious reasons:

- the young person is reminding them they're getting older and there's poo poo all anyone can do about it
- the young person is reminding them of freedoms and potential they've had to give up in the name of things like their children and spouse
- the young person is reminding them that they're not where they want to be professionally regardless of how high that is
- the young person is reminding them that they are in-fact getting older and slower and there are young and energetic people ready and willing to come in and usurp them
- the young person is reminding them of cultural influences that are inherently scary because it's a blunt reminder of how parochial we all actually are

I'm barely 26, single, and mostly solvent with a career ahead of me and I still feel this all the loving time when I interact with 15-21 year-olds. I can only imagine how much it pisses off someone locked into a dead-end job with 2 kids, a dead marriage, and a mortgage.

So instead of being able to recognize or process these feelings it's far more convenient to just assert dominance by denigrating the character of the young-- in this case by building strawmen about their ambition, lack of experience, and basic sense of entitlement for survival and pleasure.