Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Since I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin I just like to imagine that Plinkett is literally my neighbor and that I have a psychopath who tortures women and reviews the Star Wars prequels just a stones throw away :v:

Hbomberguy posted:

My favourite NC thing was when he complained that too much of Waterworld involved doing stuff, and things happening to things. Waterworld has problems (I know, what a surprise!) but its popcultural status as the worst thing ever seems to have tricked people into claiming creative and thematically-relevant set and prop design is bad.

It would be like complaining Heaven's Gate is bad because it's got too many beautifully-shot period-appropriate sets. Or Fargo is bad because so much of it takes place in the snow holy poo poo I hope they fired someone.

I dunno if it's cliche to say but Doug seems to simply not -get- things a lot of times. I know the Nostalgia Critic is played up for laughs but he does put a lot of himself into it. I don't know how he doesn't understand the main character being a pig in Porco Rosso or people wanting the dog to live in ID4. I'm sure those are the most obvious examples but there just seems to be a disconnect between Doug and what a lot of things everyone else understands or can just give a pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Am I not supposed to? Is this GBS now?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The best thing about waterworld is that apparently it was popular enough for it to have its own theme park section a la Shamu event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCbw9abOFwI&t=1137s

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Tracula posted:

Since I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin I just like to imagine that Plinkett is literally my neighbor and that I have a psychopath who tortures women and reviews the Star Wars prequels just a stones throw away :v:

I'm pretty sure you can hit two with one stone in this city without trying too hard.

And honestly, as much as I deeply respect Mike and Jay, and the rest of the RLM crew for their attitudes towards filmmaking and dedication to doing things themselves and not falling into the some of the other pitfalls other small time guys who got relatively big did, there are aspects of them that do piss me off. Mike being a curmudgeonly workaholic in particular kinda blows from what I've seen on the PR streams.

Edit: In other news more directly related to the topic, I recently discovered Regular Car Reviews, and even though I know nothing about cars at all, they're really informative and entertaining. Does anyone else watch them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE1jZ6dRJWU

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 20, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm pretty sure you can hit two with one stone in this city without trying too hard.

And honestly, as much as I deeply respect Mike and Jay, and the rest of the RLM crew for their attitudes towards filmmaking and dedication to doing things themselves and not falling into the some of the other pitfalls other small time guys who got relatively big did, there are aspects of them that do piss me off. Mike being a curmudgeonly workaholic in particular kinda blows from what I've seen on the PR streams.

Why do you care, this has literally no effect on you.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

e X posted:

Why do you care, this has literally no effect on you.

Why does anyone care about anything regarding internet critics? Why bother having a thread to talk about them? Who cares what guys have to say about films or on social media and stuff.

Seriously though, what's the matter with caring? JB50 put it best though:

JB50 posted:

Am I not supposed to? Is this GBS now?

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 20, 2015

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Tracula posted:

I dunno if it's cliche to say but Doug seems to simply not -get- things a lot of times. I know the Nostalgia Critic is played up for laughs but he does put a lot of himself into it. I don't know how he doesn't understand the main character being a pig in Porco Rosso or people wanting the dog to live in ID4. I'm sure those are the most obvious examples but there just seems to be a disconnect between Doug and what a lot of things everyone else understands or can just give a pass.

The one that blew my mind was the Scooby Doo review, when he asked if all of the main characters were mad at each other because maybe they were angry in the original cartoon. And he'd just gone over the previous scene where they had a falling out. Like...that's called a story, Doug.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"I mean, human emotions? What, are we all supposed to be comfortable with breaks in our carefully planned routines so that we can scrutinize facial expressions to infer mental states? No thank you. I'll just go back to my train journal instead!"

[crosses arms in front of chest and glares cartoonishly.]

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Why does anyone care about anything regarding internet critics? Why bother having a thread to talk about them? Who cares what guys have to say about films or on social media and stuff.

Seriously though, what's the matter with caring? JB50 put it best though:

To be fair that's a really weird thing to fault someone for.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

How is it weird? He's kind of an rear end in a top hat when he isn't working on a project, and he gets pretty pissy about stuff very easily when he's not actively working on something like a shoot or whatnot. It doesn't make his work any worse, but it's kind of a personal blemish that comes through to watching his other stuff.

I mean at least he doesn't go on huge twitter rants when he's frustrated at least. He just gets kinda rude and snippy. I don't think finding out that a guy you respect a lot is kind of an rear end in a top hat in real life and being troubled by it is a weird thing though but whatever.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 20, 2015

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

How is it weird? He's kind of an rear end in a top hat when he isn't working on a project, and he gets pretty pissy about stuff very easily when he's not actively working on something like a shoot or whatnot. It doesn't make his work any worse, but it's kind of a personal blemish that comes through to watching his other stuff.

I mean at least he doesn't go on huge twitter rants when he's frustrated at least. He just gets kinda rude and snippy. I don't think finding out that a guy you respect a lot is kind of an rear end in a top hat in real life and being troubled by it is a weird thing though but whatever.

You're making a whole lot of assumptions about his personality based on something where he hardly ever appears and when he does it's only for a short time to take the piss out of video games, something he clearly does not care about and his friends know that.

Like what you're saying here is pretty much based off nothing, because that's how rare it is for Mike to appear on PR and say something.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh my god what the gently caress are you even talking about

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Miss Wallace posted:

The one that blew my mind was the Scooby Doo review, when he asked if all of the main characters were mad at each other because maybe they were angry in the original cartoon. And he'd just gone over the previous scene where they had a falling out. Like...that's called a story, Doug.

It all makes sense when you realize that while he has been doing this since 2007, Doug has only a cargo cult grasp of film making and narrative storytelling.

PassTheRemote fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 20, 2015

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

DStecks posted:

Oh my god what the gently caress are you even talking about

Let me tell you what I think about that girl who shoes up on Best of the Worst sometimes based off the time I heard her for a few minutes on twitch. I don't know why you'd think this is weird.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I liked it when Plinkett used to mail out pizza rolls. Those were fun times.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BobbyK posted:

Let me tell you what I think about that girl who shoes up on Best of the Worst sometimes based off the time I heard her for a few minutes on twitch. I don't know why you'd think this is weird.

I think she's pretty funny. I like those two Canadian guys too. They should get that beard guy's spot if they ever move closer to the studio.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The RLM derail might be boring and lovely, but it feels good to see 40+ new posts in this thread, none of which are about gamergate. :unsmith:

HardHead
Nov 4, 2009

Bouncer, Hey bouncer.

Lichtenstein posted:

The RLM derail might be boring and lovely, but it feels good to see 40+ new posts in this thread, none of which are about gamergate. :unsmith:

Oh hey, remember that one time that guy made fun of the gg neo nazi? Good times.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBqPkMQ2ToU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

HardHead posted:

Oh hey, remember that one time that guy made fun of the gg neo nazi? Good times.

Skulls skulls everywhere, and not a brain to think.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Tracula posted:

The dog part got more baffling with some internet critics quoting that part as a good example of his analysis skilz. I remember at least Rap Critic citing that as something that got him to watch Doug.

Him attempting to understand trauma is quite a hoot. "I don't understand why someone whose kid was sniped in front of him would be rambling nearly an hour before! What's this pretentious diatribe about children???" "Why did a girl retract to herself after witnessing in rapid succession her family dog attempt to kill her and her brother killing the dog in front of her in defense? Why did she freak out at big rear end corn field circles appearing out of nowhere???!"

It also told me a lot about him the way he introduced people skating or surfing as being just exercises to boost one's confidence and then trying to pin a segment where the kid tries to surf as a "fetish" thing.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Lichtenstein posted:

On the mornings when I bring up the RGD board and see that there no new posts in this thread since I checked the thread the day before, I think "Nothing happened on the internet yesterday? Phew! Good job, guys. See you another day." I like this thread but I enjoy it when there's nothing new for me to think about.

Content: RLM chat is not a "derail" because it is internet criticism being discussed on the internet critic thread. Because it's largely old RLM stuff being discussed it more a "detour" than a "derail".

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Kunster posted:

The dog part got more baffling with some internet critics quoting that part as a good example of his analysis skilz. I remember at least Rap Critic citing that as something that got him to watch Doug.

Him attempting to understand trauma is quite a hoot. "I don't understand why someone whose kid was sniped in front of him would be rambling nearly an hour before! What's this pretentious diatribe about children???" "Why did a girl retract to herself after witnessing in rapid succession her family dog attempt to kill her and her brother killing the dog in front of her in defense? Why did she freak out at big rear end corn field circles appearing out of nowhere???!"

It also told me a lot about him the way he introduced people skating or surfing as being just exercises to boost one's confidence and then trying to pin a segment where the kid tries to surf as a "fetish" thing.

Or like the Barbie doll stuff in Small Soldiers being fetish poo poo. It's a Joe Dante film, how can you not understand that he has bizarre and deranged poo poo in his films for the sake of it being deranged.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 20, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tracula posted:

There is also the bit with a plot hole in the recent Matrix Reloaded review.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Testekill posted:

Or like the Barbie doll stuff in Small Soldiers being fetish poo poo. It's a Joe Dante film, how can you not understand that he has bizarre and deranged poo poo in his films for the sake of it being deranged.

Because Small Soldiers is a film for kids?

I assume the dog in ID4 part is the whole 'Boomer will live' gag. It's been ages but all I remember is that it was a joke over an obviously ridiculous sequence involving a dog with plot armour. I don't see a problem with joking about that but I can't recall if he took it any further.

Regardless immortal action dogs arnt a problem with me. If you kill a dog in your film without a drat good reason you will lose me as an audience member. :colbert:

... dead pets make me cry.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Testekill posted:

I think that was partly a callback to a joke in the Foodfight review.

Honestly, though, I can think of several times where he just doesn't grasp stuff that should be obvious, or takes a really weird stance on something. I could list a few examples (though the ones I"m thinking of are probably pretty petty compared to the ones people have already pointed out). I wondered if in some cases, he intends for it to be 'in-character', but the Porco Rosso example probably invalidates that theory.

Also, on a side note, the latest NC video was on Mamma Mia, which Paw also reviewed.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

I think she's pretty funny. I like those two Canadian guys too. They should get that beard guy's spot if they ever move closer to the studio.

No way man, bump Len K up, he's the best :swoon:

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 20, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Len Kabasinski is entirely too positive a person to fit in with RLM.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

In other news, Rifftrax just announced their 2015 live shows Kickstarter and look what made the roster:

Okay, everyone's tackled The Room, even Rifftrax has tackled The Room (not for a live show though). But I'm fairly certain I've only seen OLP do Miami Connection though. Go Alamo Drafthouse for putting that one on the radar.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Rebochan posted:

In other news, Rifftrax just announced their 2015 live shows Kickstarter and look what made the roster:

Okay, everyone's tackled The Room, even Rifftrax has tackled The Room (not for a live show though). But I'm fairly certain I've only seen OLP do Miami Connection though. Go Alamo Drafthouse for putting that one on the radar.

The Room live is happening on my birthday, so I will enjoy that one a lot.

Max Wilco posted:

I think that was partly a callback to a joke in the Foodfight review.

Honestly, though, I can think of several times where he just doesn't grasp stuff that should be obvious, or takes a really weird stance on something. I could list a few examples (though the ones I"m thinking of are probably pretty petty compared to the ones people have already pointed out). I wondered if in some cases, he intends for it to be 'in-character', but the Porco Rosso example probably invalidates that theory.

Also, on a side note, the latest NC video was on Mamma Mia, which Paw also reviewed.

The NC Matrix review also had some odd things. I get that he does not care for the film, but he gravitates to really nitpicking flaws like the agents cant see through walls, and making a remark about the color filter while missing how the color pallettes in that movie served as a distinction between the Matrix and the real world.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ugggh, I've been rewatching some of Nostalgia Critic's crossover videos, and dammit they are annoying whenever the guest star knows a hell of a lot more than Doug does. Any time someone might have something insightful to say, the script has NC shutting them up because they're "boring". See all of his Star Trek reviews, especially his one with Linkara, or the Digimon Movie with JO where she tried to go into detail about the animation and got shut up. Maybe I want to hear something interesting rather than needless nitpicking once in a while.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxfDnq9ORIs

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

PassTheRemote posted:

The Room live is happening on my birthday, so I will enjoy that one a lot.

The NC Matrix review also had some odd things. I get that he does not care for the film, but he gravitates to really nitpicking flaws like the agents cant see through walls, and making a remark about the color filter while missing how the color pallettes in that movie served as a distinction between the Matrix and the real world.
It sounds like he overheard someone talking about how they went back and recolourised the original to match the style of the sequels and sort of used that as a jumping-off point.

Although they didn't even really do that, that style was already there - they just did it in a better way.

The redone version has more colours and is less washed out, and only looks noticeably more green because of the new presence of other colours, and therefore greater contrasting detail in the frame. It looks like they tried to make it 'more green' by removing a bunch of other colours from the print, and later realised it would be better to keep them all in and just dial up the green a little more.

Although the thematic changes between the first movie and the sequels are a big part of it - in the original, the Matrix is represented by phone lines and dial tones and stuff. The other two portray the matrix as a digital thing, with different properties. So the matrix world goes from a mundane place designed as a distraction from reality, to a very noticeably fake world with a pervasive 'falseness' to it, underlying everything.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 20, 2015

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Hey, I've been putting a lot of time in the woodshed lately (loving making vids right now) but here's something that might be of interest - a new series looking at classic British gaming TV! Here's the first episode, and it's all about Gamesmaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxNJ55GLAjI

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ugggh, I've been rewatching some of Nostalgia Critic's crossover videos, and dammit they are annoying whenever the guest star knows a hell of a lot more than Doug does. Any time someone might have something insightful to say, the script has NC shutting them up because they're "boring". See all of his Star Trek reviews, especially his one with Linkara, or the Digimon Movie with JO where she tried to go into detail about the animation and got shut up. Maybe I want to hear something interesting rather than needless nitpicking once in a while.

That poo poo lead to Josh Hadley having a swearing fit at Diamanda Hagan, thinking she was making GBS threads on Heavy Metal when she just had her hands tied next to Doug and not be able to elaborate on well, anything. She guested on another episode and Josh started by apologizing to her.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 20, 2015

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

It sounds like he overheard someone talking about how they went back and recolourised the original to match the style of the sequels and sort of used that as a jumping-off point.

Although they didn't even really do that, that style was already there - they just did it in a better way.

The redone version has more colours and is less washed out, and only looks noticeably more green because of the new presence of other colours, and therefore greater contrasting detail in the frame. It looks like they tried to make it 'more green' by removing a bunch of other colours from the print, and later realised it would be better to keep them all in and just dial up the green a little more.

I have the old DVD and I remember it looking somewhat washed out. I wonder if the color correction in the original was digital color correction a la O Brother Where Art Thou, or more of a film process. I don't have a problem with the recolorization for the blu-ray.

Hbomberguy posted:

Although the thematic changes between the first movie and the sequels are a big part of it - in the original, the Matrix is represented by phone lines and dial tones and stuff. The other two portray the matrix as a digital thing, with different properties. So the matrix world goes from a mundane place designed as a distraction from reality, to a very noticeably fake world with a pervasive 'falseness' to it, underlying everything.

I don't have a problem with that as much in the sequels as Neo is the character the audience sees this world thru, now that he is fully aware of the martix from the beginning, it would color how he and the audience see that world. Also, the shift from mostly dial-up to broadband computing probably had an impact on the sequels. The first one was written in '97 correct?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kunster posted:

That poo poo lead to Josh Hadley having a swearing fit at Diamanda Hagan, thinking she was making GBS threads on Heavy Metal when she just had her hands tied next to Doug and not be able to elaborate on well, anything. She guested on another episode and Josh started by apologizing to her.

Really? Ouch. That's a pity, Hagan as usual turned in a great and funny performance there. I'd love to see how she would have done it differently given the chance.

It's funny, I went back and rewatched a lot of the Nostalgia Critic's earlier stuff and it doesn't hold up as well through the lens of hindsight and in comparison to other critics. I think he's definitely gotten worse over the years, and since the relaunch it's been generally awful both in terms of the critic portions and the intrusive skits, but even back at his best he wasn't as good as some other shows (like incidentally Diamanda Hagan). Really the exaggerated man-child character of his became petulant and unappealing to me after a while, and it feels like that character has just become screechier as time has worn on. I think the turning point for me was in the Signs review when he had a bitterly unenjoyable apoplectic fit, Signs is ripe for mockery and I can't help but feel he blew it by making the review such a slog.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

PassTheRemote posted:

I have the old DVD and I remember it looking somewhat washed out. I wonder if the color correction in the original was digital color correction a la O Brother Where Art Thou, or more of a film process. I don't have a problem with the recolorization for the blu-ray.

I don't have a problem with that as much in the sequels as Neo is the character the audience sees this world thru, now that he is fully aware of the martix from the beginning, it would color how he and the audience see that world. Also, the shift from mostly dial-up to broadband computing probably had an impact on the sequels. The first one was written in '97 correct?

I think it's a bit of both, re-adding color channels they took out in the original release but also correcting it with some new tools.

The first was written around that time, but doubtless had been gestating as an idea for longer, and was influenced by all the virtual reality/technofuturistic philosophy stuff that was written beforehand, which prior to that time had never really dealt with the implications of digital aesthetics and filmmaking. The Matrix sequels (and the SW Prequel Trilogy) were among the first films to deal with 'digital reality' the way horror directors dealt with 'plastic reality' and the invention of the more cool skin/monster props and stuff. Their bigger failings are largely because they're the first of their kind. It's the aesthetic and thematic differences between THX1138's machinery and factories and people becoming like robots and the very similar scenes in Attack of the Clones, where the entire world is reduced to a cartoon you experience as reality. They're similar in a lot of ways but the tools used to tell the story create different effects.

It's why lots of CGI-heavy films look so unrealistic. They're not going for realism, but the hyper-real emotional and thematic aspects. I'm tempted to say they're a different medium entirely to standard movies, the same way cartoons aren't like regular tv shows.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Kunster posted:

Can we stop talking about Josh Hadley? He's a horrible uninteresting person who doesn't even have a show with Brad anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Maybe I want to hear something interesting rather than needless nitpicking once in a while.

Why are you watching Daffy Duck Reviews then?

• Locked thread