Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

FronzelNeekburm posted:

You can definitely cheese requirements like that by having workshops, yards, etc. with toilets (or even showers, if you feel daring enough to keep them near power tools). Prisoners won't, say, leave the workshop during work hours to use a toilet that's in a nearby common room, but if you place them in the areas prisoners already congregate at, it'll help.

You think if I put a toilet in the parole room, they would stop pissing and making GBS threads in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Just started playing, it is as addictive as everyone said! Still working out the basics so far (took me a while to find grants!) like putting in utilities before walking off a cell block and building rooms the correct size. I definitely need to get a user tutorial on the go, feel like my prisons are too easy to escape.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
They've made prisoners a lot cleverer at tunneling than they used to be so it's hard to maintain zero escapes. Some new timer hints you might find helpful:

-The material in a tile affects how long it takes for a prisoner to dig through it; it takes longer for them to dig through a paved tile than a dirt/grass one, and perimeter walls are the absolute toughest for them to get through. On the other hand, tiles with large pipes in them are significantly EASIER for them to tunnel through, so you want to avoid running large pipes too close to your cells, or at the very least don't have them running to the exterior of your prison.

-Searching a toilet (they always tunnel starting from toilets) won't be guaranteed to reveal a tunnel being dug unless the prisoner is actually working on the tunnel right at that moment. I don't know what the success chance is exactly, but basically just because you don't find a tunnel doesn't mean there isn't one there. Dismantling a toilet will reveal tunnels as well, but that's generally more of a pain than it's worth.

-To keep prisoners from just bolting out the front door, put in a few layers of redundancy, like an airlock kind of system. One trick I learned early on is that you can build way more doors than you actually need, and just set most of them to be locked open. If you put your prison into lockdown, those doors will automatically slam shut and lock, creating way more obstacles for escaping prisoners (riot police will be able to open them to move through your prison, but not your guards, so bear that in mind), while still staying open most of the time so you don't bog down your prison with people stuck waiting at doors all the time. You do need at least ONE closed door between the prisoners and the outside, though, and two is better.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Thanks for the tips! I haven't really dabbled with perimeter walls yet, I think the airlock system is one I need to employ. Haven't really gone far into the tech tree either so that will probably help. Within the prison itself I assume it's cheaper to use normal doors when appropriate?

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
Cost of doors isn't really a factor, just depends on what you're using the door for. Staff Only where appropriate, cell doors when you want to allow prisoners, but you'll need a guard to operate. Wood door for like the laundry and cleaning so you're not restricting access. Wood doors are better than wall openings since they allow you to define each space and restrict access accordingly.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Airlock systems are pretty secure plus they look cool. I used to put a guard on patrol to open the doors, but using remote control is much better.

As for tunneling prisoners, surround the cell blocks with perimeter walls, but leave a door open somewhere out of the way, and have dogs patrolling between the cell blocks and the outer door. They'll beeline for the 'gap' in the perimeter wall but your dogs will always find them.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

uXs posted:

As for tunneling prisoners, surround the cell blocks with perimeter walls, but leave a door open somewhere out of the way, and have dogs patrolling between the cell blocks and the outer door. They'll beeline for the 'gap' in the perimeter wall but your dogs will always find them.

To make it even more enticing you can route your large water pipe through there.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

ModestMuse posted:

Cost of doors isn't really a factor, just depends on what you're using the door for. Staff Only where appropriate, cell doors when you want to allow prisoners, but you'll need a guard to operate. Wood door for like the laundry and cleaning so you're not restricting access. Wood doors are better than wall openings since they allow you to define each space and restrict access accordingly.

No wood door on cleaning, they get lots of contraband out of there (poison/sticks).

You can save a lot of money by putting wood doors on cell though. Just be sure to have guards nearby for when they start beating on it since they wont last long, but you only get one or two crazies that'll destroy their cell in 50 prisoners so it's not that bad (if you keep them relatively happy).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

No wood door on cleaning, they get lots of contraband out of there (poison/sticks).

You can save a lot of money by putting wood doors on cell though. Just be sure to have guards nearby for when they start beating on it since they wont last long, but you only get one or two crazies that'll destroy their cell in 50 prisoners so it's not that bad (if you keep them relatively happy).

It just occurred to me - do prisoners on janitorial duty actually need to be able to get into the cleaning room? I've noticed that the prison keeps ordering more bleach so something must be using it up - but is it automatic, or do prisoners have to go in there and grab it before they can start cleaning?

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

So why did all my defending troops decide to get on 19 ships and plant themselves out at sea? I can't even beach all of them. Why the gently caress did they get in boats?! They were in the city and never embarked.

Wrong thread city. Unfortunately they did not add in vikings or ships. Sorry.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 20, 2015

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Shadowlz posted:

So why did all my defending troops decide to get on 19 ships and plant themselves out at sea? I can't even beach all of them. Why the gently caress did they get in boats?! They were in the city and never embarked.

Did you try locking the doors on the ships open? You might need a guard to go and unlock them.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Shadowlz posted:

gently caress me, I stop playing for two months and the devs put in work

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

I'm also shying away from putting cell doors on cells and instead using staff/wood doors. Not only are they cheaper, but they allow staff to go into the cell without a guard opening it for them, which can be a big timesaver if you end up with a lot of wounded inmates or if the cells need repairs. The only downside I can see is that they would be easier for inmates to destroy, but normally if a prisoner starts breaking poo poo it's going to be during the day when his cell door is probably open anyways.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It just occurred to me - do prisoners on janitorial duty actually need to be able to get into the cleaning room? I've noticed that the prison keeps ordering more bleach so something must be using it up - but is it automatic, or do prisoners have to go in there and grab it before they can start cleaning?

You can't set janitorial jobs for prisoners without a cleaning cupboard and yes, they do need to get in. Even though they seem to just congregate there while others actually do the work.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

GamingHyena posted:

I'm also shying away from putting cell doors on cells and instead using staff/wood doors. Not only are they cheaper, but they allow staff to go into the cell without a guard opening it for them, which can be a big timesaver if you end up with a lot of wounded inmates or if the cells need repairs. The only downside I can see is that they would be easier for inmates to destroy, but normally if a prisoner starts breaking poo poo it's going to be during the day when his cell door is probably open anyways.

I use wood doors on min sec, staff doors on gen pop, cell doors on max sec and protective, and solitary doors on super max. Lots and lots of solitary doors everywhere in super max, most of them locked open, just waiting for a lock down to seal that wing off.

It would be easier to bust through a wall then through all those doors.

I also do that for my armory. Solitary doors five thick on both sides of the walkway leading to it. If they can get to it then they've earned the right to kill everyone and take over the place.

Little Abigail fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 22, 2015

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Yep, airlock system for the entrance is the best. I even have two armed guards at the entrance 24/7. They actually avoided a massive escape once: a group of 20 prisoners got a shotgun and a bunch of weapons, beat to dead a guard and got the keys. They tryied to make it for the exit, but as they approached the exit i triggered freefire. As a few fell down, all the other surrendered.

Question: how do i properly set up a protective custody? When the guys under protection have free time, they always tend to get out of protection, even if they have a fully furnished common room in their wing.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Just zone it so they're not allowed to go anywhere else?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You can cut an isolated part of the prison off by having an airlock which is set to staff-only, then prisoners will have to pass through there to enter or leave the section, and under normal circumstances they won't.
Unfortunately airlocks like that can make the canteen, cleaning and laundry systems break and you risk some prisoners not getting properly fed or never getting fresh uniforms.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

nielsm posted:

You can cut an isolated part of the prison off by having an airlock which is set to staff-only, then prisoners will have to pass through there to enter or leave the section, and under normal circumstances they won't.
Unfortunately airlocks like that can make the canteen, cleaning and laundry systems break and you risk some prisoners not getting properly fed or never getting fresh uniforms.

Yep, that's exactly what i wanted to avoid. Anyway i'll try to go for the staff only buffer room.

Anyway to check whenever a new entry is a snitch or a law enf, i just have a CI at 95% that i summon every morning as the new inmates get in, so i usually get those that are targeted to be killed

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Little Abigail posted:

I use wood doors on min sec, staff doors on gen pop, cell doors on max sec and protective, and solitary doors on super max. Lots and lots of solitary doors everywhere in super max, most of them locked open, just waiting for a lock down to seal that wing off.

It would be easier to bust through a wall then through all those doors.

I also do that for my armory. Solitary doors five thick on both sides of the walkway leading to it. If they can get to it then they've earned the right to kill everyone and take over the place.

That's not very sporting.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

I hope that somehow they implement a more deep "goal" system, meaning that somehow the divide task between inmates (going to armory, stealing keys, etc..). But the best would be a "replay" system, that tells you how that happened and when

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd like to see them try to tunnel to places other than just outside the prison. Prisoner's making tunnels into the armory to steal weapons or the security room to steal keys before attempting an escape would make a lot of sense.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I just can't wait till they allow multiple floors.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

HBNRW posted:

I just can't wait till they allow multiple floors.

I don't think they ever will in the main game. Maybe a mod after release?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The entire game is built around there being a single level. Rooms above rooms is never happening and can't be modded in, it would be a major change in the engine.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

I don't think it will ever happen.
I wouldn't even personally like it, since it is so nice to look at all your prison only in one glance.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Met posted:

That's not very sporting.

I think it's very sporting. Can't make it too easy on them but if they can do it then I'll stop trying to go against them. They have effectively won.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I switched the Protective Custody prisoner's schedule around i.e. they are up when everybody is sleeping, they are sleeping when everybody is up. Except they actually aren't sleeping. They might be maxed out on Sleep need during sleep time but they won't actually sleep except maybe during Freetime. Is it a bug or do they just not want to sleep during daytime?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Yeah, they want to sleep at night.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Trogdos! posted:

Yeah, they want to sleep at night.

Well they can go gently caress themselves. The assholes can't even keep themselves alive. They insist on wandering into the cafeteria while the other inmates are eating and getting their rear end shanked.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

Lareine posted:

Well they can go gently caress themselves. The assholes can't even keep themselves alive. They insist on wandering into the cafeteria while the other inmates are eating and getting their rear end shanked.

Yea i tried that tactic as well, it really didn't work out very long, as the protective stance population dropped drastically. They only sleep at night.

What you can do is to build a separate cafeteria for the yellow people

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

RattiRatto posted:

Yea i tried that tactic as well, it really didn't work out very long, as the protective stance population dropped drastically. They only sleep at night.

Or I could have the Maxes finish off the one I still have. It's not like it matters if their sentence gets extended because their sentences are long already.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

Lareine posted:

Or I could have the Maxes finish off the one I still have. It's not like it matters if their sentence gets extended because their sentences are long already.

Supermax is the funniest part. I have a wing with 20 supermax (legendary, or 3+ traits). Whatever enters there gets out bleeding. 3 layers of doors each one with guards and shutguns. Perfect place to send some "unwelcome" prisoner to ends his days

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

RattiRatto posted:

Yeah building them their own canteen is the safest way to keep PCs actually protected.

A recent tweet by a devs suggested they are working on meal delivery (to solitary prisoners), so maybe they'll do in-cell delivery too

https://twitter.com/IVSoftware/status/568802149989285888

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I want detailed guards. I want them to be fired and hired from a limited pool. I also want them to arrive with trucks instead of just appearing. And to have biographies.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lareine posted:

I switched the Protective Custody prisoner's schedule around i.e. they are up when everybody is sleeping, they are sleeping when everybody is up. Except they actually aren't sleeping. They might be maxed out on Sleep need during sleep time but they won't actually sleep except maybe during Freetime. Is it a bug or do they just not want to sleep during daytime?

Abuse the TimeWarpFactor of a Large prison, since it gives you 48 hours a day with 16 hour nights, you can easily have two separate prisoner groups use the same grounds but sleep at separate times. One group begins sleep at 23, the other at 03, with 1 hour overlap.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah building them their own canteen is the safest way to keep PCs actually protected.

A recent tweet by a devs suggested they are working on meal delivery (to solitary prisoners), so maybe they'll do in-cell delivery too

https://twitter.com/IVSoftware/status/568802149989285888

Aw gently caress yeah, that's what I was waiting for.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Carpentry apprenticeships don't work, keeps coming up as "No Equipment"

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lareine posted:

Carpentry apprenticeships don't work, keeps coming up as "No Equipment"

Do you have carpentry tables in your workshop?
If you have more than one workshop room, are you sure the class is being scheduled for one that does have carpentry tables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

nielsm posted:

Do you have carpentry tables in your workshop?
If you have more than one workshop room, are you sure the class is being scheduled for one that does have carpentry tables?

Turns out, it didn't like the way I positioned the table.

• Locked thread