Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Re: Ridiculous decklists

Sam Black posted some videos of him using Amulet Combo in MODO, losing game 4 to a Narset combo deck that seems utterly insane. Spoils of the Vault, Goryo's Vengeance, the Esper Ultimatum, and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That post literally contains the words "I'm telling you guys".

Yeah, literally coming after the word "lol". This is a comedy website for jokes and stuff, after all

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Konstantin posted:

While I doubt they will bring Storm back, I don't think it would be too broken in Standard since there aren't any rituals. If Grapeshot was Standard legal it wouldn't see competitive play.

Considering that there are 2 combo decks running around that can generate infinite mana, let's not count on it.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Yeah, literally coming after the word "lol". This is a comedy website for jokes and stuff, after all

But like...There are people on this site at that level of :spergin: who do that sincerely... It's hard to be mad at nerds about their opinions on virtual Wizard Poker ._.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Konstantin posted:

While I doubt they will bring Storm back, I don't think it would be too broken in Standard since there aren't any rituals. If Grapeshot was Standard legal it wouldn't see competitive play.

Grapeshot isn't broken in any extant format unless one is using "broken" as a dogwhistle for "dirty combo deck."

e: poo poo, didn't realize I was replying to something from 3 pages ago.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Gensuki posted:

But like...There are people on this site at that level of :spergin: who do that sincerely... It's hard to be mad at nerds about their opinions on virtual Wizard Poker ._.

I would never make fun of a "well, actually" in my entire life.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

bhsman posted:

Re: Ridiculous decklists

Sam Black posted some videos of him using Amulet Combo in MODO, losing game 4 to a Narset combo deck that seems utterly insane. Spoils of the Vault, Goryo's Vengeance, the Esper Ultimatum, and so forth.

That's another Woo Brew. Posted here: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/woo-brews-health-of-paper-magic-and-omnarscience/

Deck is kind of sweet, if ultimately too goofy to give any serious consideration to.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Myriad Truths posted:

That's another Woo Brew. Posted here: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/woo-brews-health-of-paper-magic-and-omnarscience/

Deck is kind of sweet, if ultimately too goofy to give any serious consideration to.

The version Sam's opponent ran didn't have Omniscence/Enter the Infinite from what I remembered, FWIW, just reams of extra Combat Phase spells.

But yeah, I'd love to play that deck at an FNM and then never again.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

bhsman posted:

The version Sam's opponent ran didn't have Omniscence/Enter the Infinite from what I remembered, FWIW, just reams of extra Combat Phase spells.

But yeah, I'd love to play that deck at an FNM and then never again.

Someone at our store built it, it is as you would expect stupid. Sometimes you just cast serum visions then they win the game. Sometimes they just have no gas and you whip their rear end while they play draw-go.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

AceClown posted:

79' bitches suck it you youngsters.

'77, you child. Game, set, match.

Now where did I put my spectacles.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Sarcastro posted:

drat I thought I was gonna win at '78. I'm such a loser.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

1879, you hobbadehoys. Now shut yer bone-boxes before I give you all a right anointing. :corsair:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Finally found my old Ninth Edition Fat Pack player's guide, and here's proof that Baneslayer's art was originally intended for Serra Angel:

Also with bonus unused second draft.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Zonekeeper posted:

Finally found my old Ninth Edition Fat Pack player's guide, and here's proof that Baneslayer's art was originally intended for Serra Angel:

Also with bonus unused second draft.

Do you still have the matching boxes with Serra Angel and Hypnotic Spectre? I do and they still serve me well to this day.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Balon posted:

Do you still have the matching boxes with Serra Angel and Hypnotic Spectre? I do and they still serve me well to this day.

I do indeed! I use them as storage for my commander stuff. They also have awesome art:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Zonekeeper posted:

I do indeed! I use them as storage for my commander stuff. They also have awesome art:

That's the stuff. People still ask me where I got them to this day. I use them to carry my cube! I also have the Ravnica one with all the guild leaders on it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Zonekeeper posted:

I have these as well and they own own own

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

tonetta if you wanna see a real knee-slapper go watch Tom Martell learning to play Amulet Combo. He totally doesn't realize you can Transmute for lands and it costs him more than once.

E:
"All I can do is transmute for Summoner's Pact and Titan since I forgot to tutor my double strike land!"
/
:negative:

E2: And his land sequencing, god. He keeps holding Garrison in his hand for days, always remembering (too late) that if it's not in his deck he can't get it out easily. It's so painful to watch all these mistakes (that I probably made when I started playing the deck over a year ago).

E3: Thinks Spellskite is bad against him, and that Summoner's Pact can fetch any creatures. Tragic.

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 20, 2015

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Mikujin posted:

tonetta if you wanna see a real knee-slapper go watch Tom Martell learning to play Amulet Combo. He totally doesn't realize you can Transmute for lands and it costs him more than once.

E:
"All I can do is transmute for Summoner's Pact and Titan since I forgot to tutor my double strike land!"
/

E2: And his land sequencing, god. He keeps holding Garrison in his hand for days, always remembering (too late) that if it's not in his deck he can't get it out easily. It's so painful to watch all these mistakes (that I probably made when I started playing the deck over a year ago).

E3: Thinks Spellskite is bad against him, and that Summoner's Pact can fetch any creatures. Tragic.

Amulet combo is not a deck to worry about unless someone who is actually good shows up with it. I'd guess the vast majority of people who try it ship it because it requires a depth of knowledge that most other decks don't. I'm pretty sure we could hand any average player on SA UR Twin and Amulet Combo and they'd do far far better with Twin. The fact that even pro's stink with it doesn't surprise me.

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003
For those of you who have ever been on, qualified, and/or ran deep at a PT. Or have had deep runs in big events, how would you rank the factors that made you successful?

I'm thinking things that are big parts are:
I don't suck at magic
My deck was positioned well in the meta
I made few mistakes than my opponent
I drew hot fire all weekend

The reason I'm asking is that while I feel that I am pretty talented in limited formats, my standard constructed is lacking. I can do fine at FNM or what not and go 4-0 or 3-1 but I feel in bigger stages I can't? I'm not sure what the reason is. I don't feel like I make playing mistakes, maybe a few timing ones due to being new back to magic after a hiatus that started in Mirage.

How detrimental to my success is "not knowing how to mulligan vs certain decks?"

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

jassi007 posted:

Amulet combo is not a deck to worry about unless someone who is actually good shows up with it. I'd guess the vast majority of people who try it ship it because it requires a depth of knowledge that most other decks don't. I'm pretty sure we could hand any average player on SA UR Twin and Amulet Combo and they'd do far far better with Twin. The fact that even pro's stink with it doesn't surprise me.
Oh this is exactly that case. I've swapped decks with buddies at FNM/modern nights just because they wanted to play it and it's incredibly funny to see some of the lines the take/don't see. Like I said, I'm a veteran player so I see all the lines that lead to immediate wins that Tom was missing and some of the smaller errors/sequencing confusion that lead to some losses. It is definitely not a deck you can just pick up and play, that is for sure.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Mikujin posted:

E:
/

Did no one in the stream chat correct him the first time he missed, say, the transmute for lands line? Or was it a case of the blind leading the blind and no one knowing what the gently caress. I'm sad I missed it, that sounds entertaining as hell regardless

edit: nevermind! just saw it's posted as a video on CFB. *grabs popcorn*

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 20, 2015

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Did no one in the stream chat correct him the first time he missed, say, the transmute for lands line? Or was it a case of the blind leading the blind and no one knowing what the gently caress. I'm sad I missed it, that sounds entertaining as hell regardless
No idea if it was up on stream, but it's actually up on CFB right now which is where I saw all the hilarity go down.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
A cool thing I learned from watching at least -- which may have been obvious or just widely known since Martell got it right immediately -- was that having multiple Amulets allows the triggers to stack so you can get multiple uses out of freshly played bouncelands. That's cool.

edit: I guess it is obvious when you realize the card's effect is a triggered ability and not a replacement effect which I guess I'd shortcutted myself into thinking.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

MiddleEastBeast posted:

A cool thing I learned from watching at least -- which may have been obvious or just widely known since Martell got it right immediately -- was that having multiple Amulets allows the triggers to stack so you can get multiple uses out of freshly played bouncelands. That's cool.

edit: I guess it is obvious when you realize the card's effect is a triggered ability and not a replacement effect which I guess I'd shortcutted myself into thinking.

Yeah, on the aforementioned Sam Black video his opponent conceded once Sam cast Primeval Titan with two Amulets out, and he pointed out that had the game continued he could have cast a second Titan, given them both haste and Double Strike, and then swung for the win. Double Amulets leads to some insane poo poo with that deck.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Sarcastro posted:

August 77...

I am going to win this by a hair!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

DoctorOozy posted:

August 77...

I am going to win this by a hair!

January 75. Magic came out my Freshman year of College...

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

Sarcastro posted:

78 here, so I'm hardly younger by much. I started playing right as The Dark was ending and Fallen Empires was starting.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Pinwiz11 posted:

January 75. Magic came out my Freshman year of College...

Holy gently caress, you're that old weirdo people look at funny at FNM.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

jassi007 posted:

Holy gently caress, you're that old weirdo people look at funny at FNM.

Yeah, and how many people in this thread are destined to be that old gently caress playing Magic in their Depends at the FLGS.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

bhsman posted:

Yeah, on the aforementioned Sam Black video his opponent conceded once Sam cast Primeval Titan with two Amulets out, and he pointed out that had the game continued he could have cast a second Titan, given them both haste and Double Strike, and then swung for the win. Double Amulets leads to some insane poo poo with that deck.

Double Amulet has allowed me to get four 8/6 hasty Titans on turn two. It's pretty sweet.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Yeah, and how many people in this thread are destined to be that old gently caress playing Magic in their Depends at the FLGS.

I just wanna die before i grow old

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

forbidden lesbian posted:

I just wanna die before i grow old

Keep it up and you might, you young turk.

(I'm imagining what the old dude at the FLGS would say. Apparently in my head he was born in 1930.)

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
At my FLGS there are at least 4 of us who have kids & are over 40. The other three of the guys kids are even playing in events there, and placing! Losing to a nine year old who you lent $400 worth of cards to is tough, especially when it's your own card that finishes you off.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I was kidding about the age thing I'm 35 and have 2 kids.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Jorath posted:

At my FLGS there are at least 4 of us who have kids & are over 40. The other three of the guys kids are even playing in events there, and placing! Losing to a nine year old who you lent $400 worth of cards to is tough, especially when it's your own card that finishes you off.

My favorite magic thing I ever saw was some 8 year old girl beating a super-grog magic player at the RTR prerelease, and then her chastising him for only running 15 lands in his sealed deck.

I about poo poo myself with happiness.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Madmarker posted:

My favorite magic thing I ever saw was some 8 year old girl beating a super-grog magic player at the RTR prerelease, and then her chastising him for only running 15 lands in his sealed deck.

I about poo poo myself with happiness.

There's a kid at one of my LGSs that's about 12 and in a wheelchair. I saw him beat a control deck that had Tamiyo emblem and Supreme Verdict in hand by just bashing with Archwing Dragon , it was the best thing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Madmarker posted:

I about poo poo myself

I believe you, grandpa

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
One guy had been paired against his son in the first round of the last two pre-releases. 60+ players and he loses to his son in round 1, then gets the bye in round 2. Thanks WER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I believe you, grandpa

Back in mah day, you young whippersnapper, we had hard counterspells that cost 2 mana, none of that namby pamby conditional stuff and manaburn....manaburn as far as the eye could see, and you would 4th pick that 3 grey ogre in limited, and you would like it. You drat kids with your Planeswalkers and your creatures...."

• Locked thread