Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
You should be thankful she didn't just call and have your gas shut off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009

Dirp posted:

I moved into a new apartment during the summer. I failed to get the gas put under my name for six months and the previous tenant recently came to my doorstep demanding $170 that she was charged over the past 6 months. I told her I wouldn't pay since it was a big negligence on my part to not get the issue taken care of and just assume I was getting free gas, now she is threatening to take me to small claims court. I have no idea how these things work. Can she sue me for greater than $170? Should I just pay up?

That might make it a little more clear.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
You stole $170 worth of services, and you're acting indignant about someone asking you to pay them back?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I hope she takes him to small claims court. And I hope he shows up to defend himself. :allears:

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

I'm kind of astonished that the previous tenant didn't do anything about it until six months later.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pixelated Dragon posted:

I'm kind of astonished that the previous tenant didn't do anything about it until six months later.

If the bill was still going to the old address, she might not have known until they tracked her down via collections or what have you. Or, depending on how far away she moved, it might have just been part of her new bill and she didn't realize she was getting billed for two addresses.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Bad Munki posted:

If the bill was still going to the old address, she might not have known until they tracked her down via collections or what have you. Or, depending on how far away she moved, it might have just been part of her new bill and she didn't realize she was getting billed for two addresses.

I'll bet he's going to be super surprised when he finds out that these utility companies consider him liable for the bill.

Edit: Goddamn I love a good dogpile before dinner!

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, I was figuring that maybe it was on automatic payment and she didn't notice or something. Still, wow, what an oversight.

$170 for six months of gas seems dirt cheap!

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Wait a moment.

Was she already billed the $170 and is now demanding that you pay her back, or is she being billed and it hasn't been paid yet?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

blarzgh posted:

I'll bet he's going to be super surprised when he finds out that these utility companies consider him liable for the bill.

Edit: Goddamn I love a good dogpile before dinner!

Pfffft, who cares, he hasn't entered into a contract with the gas company and no, your honor, he does not wish to create joinder, and I say, is that gold fringe on your flag????

Pixelated Dragon posted:

$170 for six months of gas seems dirt cheap!

Yeah, previous resident should be THANKING him, for pete's sake!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Wait a moment.

Was she already billed the $170 and is now demanding that you pay her back, or is she being billed and it hasn't been paid yet?

I suspect we'll never know.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Pfffft, who cares, he hasn't entered into a contract with the gas company and no, your honor, he does not wish to create joinder, and I say, is that gold fringe on your flag????

Yeah, previous resident should be THANKING him, for pete's sake!

I'm just marveling at how cheap that seems. Of course I think he should be the one to pay it.

I'm also wondering if the previous tenant has tried contacting the utility company about this confusion.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 20, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pixelated Dragon posted:

I'm just marveling at how cheap that seems. Of course I think he should be the one to pay it.
Yeah, I wasn't trying to imply otherwise, just being snarky.

quote:

I'm also wondering if the previous tenant has tried contacting the utility company about this confusion.
I bet you're right about the autopay thing, and I'm just gonna go out on a limb and guess that whatever billing scrub at the utility company she talked to was just like, "Ehh, not our issue, you'll have to take that up with the current resident."

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

You brought up a good point that she's the one with the contract. It would be a dick move not to pay pay it but would she have a leg to stand on?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well I tell you what if she went on Judge Judy with it I bet she'd win in a heartbeat.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
She owes the gas company, he owes her. He could probably pay the gas company and send her a receipt and everybody wins, if she hasn't already paid it. And make sure poo poo is in his name from then on.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Javid posted:

She owes the gas company, he owes her. He could probably pay the gas company and send her a receipt and everybody wins, if she hasn't already paid it. And make sure poo poo is in his name from then on.

That all depends on if she's already paid the gas company, like she may have forgotten to cancel the automatic billing or something. If the sum was unpaid and she is receiving the bills, she should be able to tell the gas company that she moved out on X date.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pixelated Dragon posted:

You brought up a good point that she's the one with the contract. It would be a dick move not to pay pay it but would she have a leg to stand on?

Judge: "So you're argument is that you shouldn't have to pay for the services/goods you accepted and used because you don't have a contract? I'm to understand that humans are now allowed to take whatever they want and they don't have to pay for it unless someone can prove they signed a piece of paper? Goddamn, you're right - case dismissed!"

Realtalk: there are several different causes of action that account for this sort of thing, like "civil theft", what we call "quantum meruit", "unjust enrichment" and others. Breach of Contract is just one, and a pretty specific, cause of action that comes with additional and varied types of recovery where simpler, less demanding causes of action like those above do not.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Yeah. It's been a long time since I took contracts but this seems an open shut unjust enrichment case. It's only 170. Don't be an rear end.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
They likely both owe the gas company, jointly and severally, and he also owes her if she has paid the bill. I'm certain that her original service agreement would have contained a provision that made her liable for charges in such a situation as this. Gas companies have good lawyers writing their agreements, and the more people you can have on the hook for your bills, the more likely you are to get paid.

He owes the gas company because he took services from the gas company and hasn't paid for them yet. Simple as that. The second that she pays the gas company for the bill, he becomes liable to her for unjust enrichment (or state equivalent.)

If I were him though, I would make absolutely sure she's actually paid the bill before I gave her a dime.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Changed my answer: fall in love with her, get married, and always keep 170 , in a joint savings account. When the statute of limitations runs out, leave her.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Changed my answer: fall in love with her, get married, and always keep 170 , in a joint savings account. When the statute of limitations runs out, leave her.

the long con.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Is it normal for judges to receive emails like this? Yes, she seems mentally ill - that's pretty obvious. I'm just a spectator in all this and her mental health is not my concern. I'm just curious about what the legal system thinks about emails like this showing up in their inboxes on a weekly basis from the same person.

:rant: posted:

Subject: RE: YOUR PERSONAL LIABILITY FOR MY SONS AND DAUGHTERS CIRCUMSTANCES
To: (Judge),(About 20 other people who are directly or vaguely related to all this)

(JUDGE);

AT ALL TIMES YOU KNEW.

THERE IS NO REASON FOR (DAUGHTER) AND (SON) TO NOT BE HERE RIGHT NOW.

THEY THINK THAT THEY HAVE YOUR PERMISSION TO RUN ALL OVER TOWN AND DO WHATEVER THEY LIKE...

YOU ARE USING MY FAMILY FOR YOUR MONEY TRANSACTIONS.

(EX-HUSBAND) IS STILL MAD BECAUSE YOU MADE HIM SELL THAT JEEP IN 2006 AND HE STILL BEATS ME FOR IT THROUGH THESE KIDS..

AND YOU HAD NO RIGHT TO THAT MONEY THEN EITHER.

AND (???) HAD NO RIGHT.

YOU ARE A MAKER OF FALSE CLAIMS; OVER AND OVER AND OVER..

YOU KNEW THAT (???) HAD NO CLAIM TO OUR HOME.

YOU KNEW THAT (???) HAD NO RIGHT TO FILE.

YOU KNEW THAT (EX-HUSBAND) KIDNAPPED MY KIDS AND TRAFFICKED THEM FOR WELFARE.

YOU KNEW.

YOU HAD POWER TO ACT.

YOU CHOSE TO COVER IT UP AND PROTECT IT.

MY KIDS ARE HARMED AND THEY WILL NEVER BE THE SAME.

EVERY DAY IT GETS WORSE.

HE KEEPS THEM FROM ME AND YOU KNEW.

HE USES THEM.

YOU USE THEM.

YOU ARE LIABLE.

AT ALL TIMES YOU ARE OBLIGATED TO ACT; AT ALL TIMES YOU ARE ENGAGED IN USE OF MY KIDS IN VIOLENT CRIME.

(EX-HUSBAND) KEEPS MY KIDS FROM ME BASED ON HIS IMAGINARY IDEA THAT I AM CRAZY AND YOU HELP HIM BECAUSE YOU ARE A PREDATOR AND A THIEF AND YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO COVER UP AND PROTECT YOUR GROSS WILLFUL AND MALICIOUS ERROR.

YOU ARE LIABLE TO OUR FAMILY AND EVERY MINUTE YOU FAIL TO ACT DAMAGES ARE ACCUMULATING.

YOU HAVE REPEATEDLY BREACHED YOUR OBLIGATION TO FIDUCIARY DUTY ON THESE ACCOUNTS.

YOU ARE ABUSIVE AND IMMORAL..

AT LEAST (EX-HUSBAND) AND (HIS GIRLFRIEND) CAN'T HELP IT, THEY ARE VULNERABLE ADULTS.

IS THAT YOUR EXCUSE TOO?

YOU HAVE REASON TO KNOW, YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN, YOU DID KNOW.

AT ALL TIMES YOU HAVE THE POWER TO ACT AND REFUSE; YOU ARE A CHILD ABUSER AND A BABY SELLER.AND A SELF RIGHTEOUS THIEF AND THAT'S WHY I CALLED YOU A BITCH ON THE INTERNET AND IF YOU THOUGHT THAT YOU WEREN'T OR THAT I HAD NO RIGHT TO DO THAT THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE SUED ME FOR IT PROPER OR ATTEMPTED TO CHARGE ME WITH A CRIME

BUT YOU KNEW THAT I HAD EVERY RIGHT BECAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO OUR LIVES YOU HAVE NO RIGHT AND YOU ARE A VILE GREEDY WITCH WHO TRAFFICS FAMILIES WITH YOUR SIGNATURE AND I AM HOLDING YOU ACCOUNTABLE FOR THAT.

YOU HAVE NO DISCRETION TO MAKE THIS VENGEFUL MESS.

I WANT THE RESULTS OF YOUR MENTAL HEALTH EVALUATION THIS IS CRIMINAL.*

YOU ARE A VICIOUS AND VENGEFUL WOMAN WHO IS COVERING UP FOR YOUR GROSS ERROR AND LONG TERM ABUSE OF THESE ACCOUNTS.
AND YOU WILL COME CORRECT
YOU ARE LIABLE TO ME
YOU ARE ENGAGED IN FINANCIAL CRIMES
YOU ARE GOING TO CORRECT IT AND YOU WILL COMPENSATE US AND PUT US BACK.

*That judge ordered her and ex-husband to have a mental evaluation as part of the custody hearing 3-4 years ago. Ex-husband did his and turned it in. She did hers, but whited out all the things she didn't agree with and wrote in her own evaluation and turned that in to the court. Ex-husband got custody.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SkunkDuster posted:

Is it normal for judges to receive emails like this?

I think you know the answer to this question, lol.

Edit: I've just now found myself wondering how she settled on what sentiment to end with.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 20, 2015

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

blarzgh posted:

I think you know the answer to this question, lol.

Edit: I've just now found myself wondering how she settled on what sentiment to end with.

Honestly, I don't know the answer. I've never seen someone this mentally messed up outside of documentaries on Netflix, but I don't deal with hosed up people on a daily basis like the court does. I was seriously asking if stuff like this is business as usual in the legal system.

I can't read her mind, but I've read hundreds of her emails and faxes over the last few years similar to this one (they have been more desperate and angry as time goes on) and they all seem to be focused mainly on how she was wronged and the court system is corrupt, but there is always that side mention of her being financially compensated (in treble) for EVERYTHING. I've been watching it from sidelines for a few years and have wondered myself what her primary goal truly is.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SkunkDuster posted:

I've been watching it from sidelines for a few years and have wondered myself what her primary goal truly is.

To quiet the voices.

No, this is not normal.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
WA State Auto Accident Question:

This ended up kind of complicated, but here we go. My wife was rear ended by a woman(heh heh) driving a truck that she did not own. At the scene of the accident the Woman provided insurance info for the truck and for the person who owned that Truck(I guess). We have auto insurance but we do not have collision coverage so my insurance isn't doing poo poo to help us out really. We called their insurance to file the claim and were told that the Woman that hit her is not on the insurance for that Truck and so they aren't going to be able to do anything for us.

This seems like bullshit to me. I've talked briefly to a lawyer over the phone who said that if she was uninsured I shouldn't even get a lawyer because they normally sue the person to get money from an insurance company. I'm planning on getting a second opinion, but I also wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas. Ideally I want to be reimbursed for towing the car and getting it fixed, etc.

I serve legal papers so I have a very limited understanding of how things work, but I also did research on the person who owns the car and as much as I can on the Woman driving the car. To me it seems like the person who owns the car would have access to money but the Woman driving the car probably does not. I'm a poor dude supporting a family so having to pay to repair our single car is lovely as gently caress and my wife is stuck taking the bus to get places and I want those bitches to pay for it insured or not. Any ideas or ways to put pressure on these people thats within my legal ability? Was that first lawyer I talked to kind of talking poo poo?

I've tried calling both the owner of the vehicle and the Woman driving to see if maybe she provided the wrong insurance(yeah right), stupid bitch probably just pulled that poo poo out so she wouldn't get another ticket for not having proper insurance. Also the Woman was cited for negligent driving so I don't feel like fault is going to be something thats going to be too hard to prove.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Was she charged with a crime or just an infraction. If it is a misdo, you might be able to get restitution through the local das office.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

SkunkDuster posted:

Is it normal for judges to receive emails like this? Yes, she seems mentally ill - that's pretty obvious. I'm just a spectator in all this and her mental health is not my concern. I'm just curious about what the legal system thinks about emails like this showing up in their inboxes on a weekly basis from the same person.

*That judge ordered her and ex-husband to have a mental evaluation as part of the custody hearing 3-4 years ago. Ex-husband did his and turned it in. She did hers, but whited out all the things she didn't agree with and wrote in her own evaluation and turned that in to the court. Ex-husband got custody.

Our office gets letters and pro se lawsuits and death threats that rival this level of crazy.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

I wish you would make more of these. They were the first thing that popped into my head when Family Law was brought up.

Edit: I've enjoyed these so much, I'd like to give you something for your time. Is it OK if I pay you in dogs?

Centripetal Horse fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 20, 2015

Dirp
May 16, 2007
I never got any bills in her name at this address. She said she already paid the bill and cancelled so I started it up again in my name. I'm calling her bluff and I'm not gonna pay her poo poo.

Dirp fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 20, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Dirp posted:

I never got any bills in her name at this address. She said she already paid the bill and cancelled so I started it up again in my name. I'm calling her bluff and I'm not gonna pay her poo poo.

wow. you're an rear end in a top hat.

Hope your gas pipe breaks.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Oh these bring back memories of military legal assistance. even the parts about Guam.

EDIT: OMFG I just got to the part about the beanie babies. I worked on a DV case stemming from an ugly divorce. Reviewing docs related to the case, there were letters back and forth discussing distribution of property. Actual quote: The defendant has already, at great personal expense, returned the plaintiffs extensive stuffed animal collection.

Memories.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 20, 2015

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dirp posted:

I moved into a new apartment during the summer. The old tenant failed to cancel the gas under her name for six months and recently came to my doorstep demanding $170 that she was charged over the past 6 months. I told her I wouldn't pay since it was a big negligence on her part and now she is threatening to take me to small claims court. I have no idea how these things work. Can she sue me for greater than $170? Should I just pay up?

"a big negligence on her part"?

If you lived in my city, she could take you to small claims court, would win without a doubt, and you would have to pay the $170 as well as the $100 filing fee.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dirp posted:

Can you please PM one of us her contact info? No reason.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Reason posted:

I've tried calling both the owner of the vehicle and the Woman driving to see if maybe she provided the wrong insurance(yeah right), stupid bitch probably just pulled that poo poo out so she wouldn't get another ticket for not having proper insurance. Also the Woman was cited for negligent driving so I don't feel like fault is going to be something thats going to be too hard to prove.

I'm just a stupid person randomly googling things, but apparently if an uninsured driver fails to pay for collision damages, you can have their license suspended

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/collision.html

quote:

How to report uncompensated damages from a collision with an uninsured driver

If an uninsured driver fails to pay collision damages, you may report it to us by completing a Motor Vehicle Collision Claim for Damages within 180 days of the collision

To qualify, the collision must have resulted in at least $700 in property damages or an injury.
If the uninsured driver fails to pay, we could suspend their driver license.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nm posted:

Was she charged with a crime or just an infraction. If it is a misdo, you might be able to get restitution through the local das office.

According to what I'm reading its both?

quote:

Negligent driving in the second degree is a misdemeanor and is a traffic infraction. When a driver is cited, they usually have to pay a $250 fine.

quote:

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/collision.html

Also thanks for this. I'm wondering if its possible/if I should report the fact that she provided what seems to be misleading insurance info at the scene of the accident? Would I report that to the PD that responded?

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 20, 2015

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Reason posted:

WA State Auto Accident Question:

I wouldn't be surprised if the attorney you talked to is being straight with you. I'll tell you that in Texas, you would have to sue the driver for negligence, and not be able to collect against the owner's insurance policy if you won. Here, you could theoretically sue the owner for "negligent entrustment" but you would probably lose, and the insurance company wouldn't cover it anyways.

The resource the guy above posted seems like a great option. Also, if your facts are good, often times our recommendations against small claims Court are based on cost v. benefit, but also because normally people think their cases are 'slam dunks' when they really aren't. A car wreck can be a little more straightforward in terms of liability, so your risk of losing is probably lower. That still doesn't mediate the time and expense factor though.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

Our office gets letters and pro se lawsuits and death threats that rival this level of crazy.

Do you read them and file them away for later use, or just add that person to your spamlist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SkunkDuster posted:

Do you read them and file them away for later use, or just add that person to your spamlist?

Reply with a box full of live spiders.