Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

AbusePuppy posted:

I thought that was only true for the versions available to Adeptus Sororitas, whereas the Inquisitorial ones still had the option of any power weapon? I could easily be wrong, though.

The Inquisition book (the digital one anyway) got an update at one point that moved them to power swords, shortly after 7th edition came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Just a points reduction isn't gonna do it. Even at 9 points stormboyz are pretty disappointing.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Does anybody have a fun/balanced way to play a free-for-all? There was a game type a goon posted a long time ago where all players need to get there HQ within 12" of a central objective.

We've been playing the poo poo out of it, but some variety would be nice

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone look at how to run the harlequins based on the rumors? Right now I'm thinking troupe master with caress, and 2 embraces. The pistols have really nice stats, but the price makes them not really worthwhile... maybe a naked unit with a couple of neuro disruptors?

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Jump infantry are bad to average at everything they do. They also take up FA slots which are better spent on units that are better.Bikes are quicker, tougher, shoot better and have better saves. Ork Bikes are good, Stormboyz are bad. Not awful, just bad.Bikes do everything they do better. The advantage, deep strike, doesn't work well for assault focused units.

I would let them deepstrike into assault, either by changing a mishap into assault or giving them a 2d6 once they land. It could be a disorganised charge with dangerous terrain on a 1 or 2 to add some balance.

I have a lot of Stormboyz. Every time I have used them, bar one, it has gone terribly. I had one glorious assault from deep-strike with Zagstrukk, but they have taken that away from me now. Bastards. I want to cause fear in the same way a drop pod full of Sternguard will. Death from above.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

NTRabbit posted:

I think the biggest problem you'll face is finding out that if you'd asked this about 2 weeks ago, you could have gotten it for $90 in the site wide 25% off sale that ran Jan 30 to Feb 10

And then I would have had to pay import tax, sales tax and S&H tax :v:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Hixson posted:

Does anybody have a fun/balanced way to play a free-for-all? There was a game type a goon posted a long time ago where all players need to get there HQ within 12" of a central objective.

Maybe try adapting the WHFB Triumph & /treachery rules? Those look pretty fun with the potential for political backstabbery.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
We all agree that marine bikes are better over assault Marines but don't pretend that bikers are good at assault. They have one attack, no ccw and hammer of wrath is only for base contact on the charge.

They are expensive T5 Marines basically once you are in the scrum. They will very slowly loose combat just like any other normal marine unit. Assault marines have more attacks and cheaper points.

Both suck at CC is what I am saying.

Though, there are some variation of command squads with shields and attached characters but those are not really the same since they are more expensive and apart of retinue/free HQ crap.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Hollismason posted:

You all know that picture is staged and fake right? Like that legitimately didn't happen.

Hollismason posted:

What the gently caress dude, do you like follow my posts seriously it's at this point getting creepy. ( Ps. I was right)

I've remarked that the incessant personal attacks against you are dumber and more annoying than anything you could post but you've done it, you've topped them. With these two you have become over and beyond.

Responding to posts this bad is as innocent as yelping like a cartoon character when a beehive falls from a tree and is comically lodged on someone's head.

Even as you sperg about being right when no one cares, you weren't right. You said it was fake and staged; it was a staged photo of something that actually happened. For the love of all, for your sake as well, stop doing this. :cripes:

Hixson posted:

Oh man, one of the most fun games I ever had used free-for-all rules, I don't remember the name though. I think it was in the 4th Edition rulebook and was for the situation that could most easily result in one sad player getting ruthlessly bulldozed by the other two players: a three player match. It was called something like, "Uneasy Truce."

Rules were something like this: everyone places an HQ unit in the center of the board, the rest of the army is either all in reserve or are on the edges of the board (this represents leaders negotiating a truce). Players roll for first (and second) turn as usual, but the best part is that who gets first turn rotates after that. It's a blast to play and would likely be easy to adapt for more players, if I still have the book I'll try to find it.

Edit: It's called Broken Alliance, I'm looking for a copy of the rules.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 20, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Plastic space mans.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I am going to honestly play and field a all Wyches , Harlequin army. Shadowseers being 60 points to gain Hit and Run on them seems pretty sweet and I have way to many Wyches from EBAY deals where I just kind of ended up with them.

Seriously though gently caress cross hatch and diamond pattern painting though, ugh I hate doing it so much.

Anyone have a line on any really good 3rd party Harlequinesque figures? I want to mix things up with the army. I already have some of the Dark Elves stuff for when I get around to converting Helions into Green Goblins, so I have like lots of headless Dark Elf bodies now.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 20, 2015

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Post 9-11 User posted:

I've remarked that the incessant personal attacks against you are dumber and more annoying than anything you could post but you've done it, you've topped them.

I agree with this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm assuming you all are still virgins because you just can't let poo poo go.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Hmm, no dice on finding a copy. Being half the ham I used to be I chucked my copy of the book (it's 5th edition, by the way). Never forget:

This is what we fight for.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
:yikes:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Hollismason posted:

:eyepop:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can we maybe not do this poo poo again?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

WhiteOutMouse posted:

We all agree that marine bikes are better over assault Marines but don't pretend that bikers are good at assault. They have one attack, no ccw and hammer of wrath is only for base contact on the charge.

They are expensive T5 Marines basically once you are in the scrum. They will very slowly loose combat just like any other normal marine unit. Assault marines have more attacks and cheaper points.

Both suck at CC is what I am saying.

Ah, you are right about the attack--I forgot that loyalist bikers don't have a CCW so they only get one attack. Even still though, this is mitigated by the extra boltgun shot they make before their charge, which is significantly better than a CCW attack since it hits on a 3+ and has AP5 (and this shot is going to happen even if you fail your charge distance roll). After that, they're marginally worse by virtue of only having one attack but T5 is still a good thing to have in assault and the assault marines don't make up for the discrepancy until the third round of combat.

T1:
Bikers - move 12", 2 boltgun shots, 1 HoW attack, 2 attacks charging (5)
Assault marines - move 12", 1 bolt pistol shot, 3 attacks charging (4)

T2:
Bikers - 1 attack (6)
Assault marines - 2 attacks (6)

T3:
Bikers - 1 attack (7)
Assault marines - 2 attacks (7)

That's a long time, and your assault marines will die at a faster rate thanks to a lower toughness. I agree that none of them are excellent in close combat, but even if you want to get all fussy about the attacks (which for chaos marines are a hilarious non-factor), it's still obvious that assault marines are outclassed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Bikers can get 2 of the best special weapons (1/2 a Tigurius) and can get the hit and run special rule. That's well and above what the assault marines can come close to getting, that's what takes them over the top. Not only are you going to get assaulted and tied up in combat, their probably going bounce back out of the combat during your turn and restart the charge all over.

So yeah you say " Well they can't hold their own in assault" but they actually can because they have access to being able to get that rule, which does make them good at assault.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 20, 2015

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Assault Marines were the thing that got me into Blood Angels, but after the new Codex and learning the rules a bit better, I don't know that I'll be bringing them anytime soon. They certainly have a leg up with access to Meltaguns, but even then they're usually destined for suicide missions. I still think Death Company rules though. I'm not too hot on bikes, but they do seem to be the better mobile firepower delivery system.

Hollismason posted:

The joke's on you, I'm actually a prolific homosexual. :smug:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Assault Marines were the thing that got me into Blood Angels, but after the new Codex and learning the rules a bit better, I don't know that I'll be bringing them anytime soon. They certainly have a leg up with access to Meltaguns, but even then they're usually destined for suicide missions. I still think Death Company rules though. I'm not too hot on bikes, but they do seem to be the better mobile firepower delivery system.

The joke's on you, I'm actually a prolific homosexual. :smug:

The Blood Angels are going to have to change up some of their tactics you can still actually run an all assault marine army, pretty easily with Formations, but people are all Wah Wah about formations even though the game is headed that way. Good or Bad depending on your view of it.

The Blood Angels Bike Squadron is pretty nice, even if it doesn't have hit and run, ST5 on the charge , possible to get Ini 5 .

I've played against the Sanguine Wing I think it's called the free special weapons formation, and that thing is uh.. formidable. Having two units with ST8 on the charge weapons is brutal.

Also
I'm queer

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Things that were still missing from my exhaustively compiled dossier on Hollismason: sexual orientation

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'm pretty sure he's mentioned it a few times.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Raptors, even with Mark shinanigans suck, tis a pity as there was a decent mediocore unit in them.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Oh hey, Blood Angels Assault Sergeants can take Combi-weapons. It's amazing, the more I actually read my codex, the more I find out.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I'm pretty sure he's mentioned it a few times.

Yeah he told us about sucking off a minor celebrity in a Burger King bathroom or something.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Hollismason posted:

Bikers can get 2 of the best special weapons (1/2 a Tigurius)

Actually 1 Grav Gun = 1 Tigurius, and since they are relentless and Grav Guns are 2/3 Slavo that makes them more like 3 Tigurius per Bike Squad.

Tigurius.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Tequila Ranger posted:

Actually 1 Grav Gun = 1 Tigurius, and since they are relentless and Grav Guns are 2/3 Slavo that makes them more like 3 Tigurius per Bike Squad.

Tigurius.

Is Tigurius riding the bike, or is he attached to the bike?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's a solid dex but really lost out on the more powerful stuff the Space Marine Codex has, I mean their suppose to be one of the strictest adherents to the Astartes laid out by Guilleman but they don't have Centurions, or Stormtalons? is that the one they dont have?

The Death Company is legitimately terrifying in CC ST9 power fist or even power weapons, fast tanks, etc.. etc..

I'd be really surprised if we get out of this year without getting a 7th edition Codex,for Space marines, and I won't be surprised at all if they lose bikes as troops.

Also, Harlequins are loving awesome and I am now torn because I play Dark Eldar and Necrons, so it's like gently caress.. I've only got so much money and I need to buy poo poo for my Necrons, but then it's like fuckkk I need some Harlequins.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 20, 2015

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Is Tigurius riding the bike, or is he attached to the bike?

Tigerius is the bike

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
(Tigerius counts as 2 bikes)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I am so confused now.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does Wazdakka make Tigurius count as troops?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Safety Factor posted:

Does Wazdakka make Tigurius count as troops?

Wazdakka rides Tigurius as a bike.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
I propose we swap out Hollismason for Noctis, if that dude is still around.

The drawers could use a different poo poo, so to speak.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah ha Hollismason that card. Anyway , yeah does anyone know of any good head swaps, Elf or possibly Harlequin themed? I need some Harlequin heads .

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Absolutely not.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wazdakka gets +1A since his bike has a CCW and ATSKNF

e: Have some new 30k rules:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/N/Narik.pdf
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/A/Autilon.pdf

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 20, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm not familiar with Warhammer 30k what's the difference between a jetpack and a jump pack? Or are they the the same thing??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Hollismason posted:

I'm not familiar with Warhammer 30k what's the difference between a jetpack and a jump pack? Or are they the the same thing??

Jetpacks are in 40k also. For example - Shadow Specters have them.

You move as normal infantry and then you can move in the assault phase with Jetpacks.

• Locked thread