Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

The Bunny posted:

Is there an easy way to get raw meat to cook? DO I have to kill and skin each monster.
Use the farm guy to make materials for Energy Drinks and never have to eat another steak again, I don't think I ever ate a steak in MH4 in Japanese in 150 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Yeah, I have all healing stuff on my main palico. In a game with a random pubbie hunter we were doing pretty well, but got our stuff pushed in out of nowhere when we got an unexpected enrage. My palico saved our bacon with some super healing, then both palicoes hopped on the monster's face and we cleaned up the mess.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I'm glad it is being discussed right now, because I just finished the story Shigeru Miyamoto fight and found it infuriating. I didn't cart, but I did chug ~23 megas/first aids. He seemed enraged like 80% of the fight, and seemingly all of his animations involve him jumping back or to the side or running or flying as part of attacks so not only did I only hit him a small minority of the time, he would get free hits in that would set up the occasional bullshit combo. Then he summoned the geysers and got to do nearly instant damage to me without having to leave openings! :shepicide: The fight doesn't seem to be designed around slow weapons, as I basically just gave up trying to do the Axe stuff with my Charge Axe and just poked him impotently unless he was 100% focused on my cats, then I would hit one Axe swing then waste a phial missing the very next attack because oh hey he finished one entire attack, turned, and hit me before my second attack could get off. A WELL DESIGNED FIGHT

It was like fighting an rear end in a top hat combo of Tigrex and Silver Rath and I don't want to do it ever again. I'd rather fight loving Fatalis or something than that golden fuckwad.

Fatcat214
Feb 19, 2015

Party Poogie

Internet Friend posted:

No, you can get it in Low Rank. It's rare from mining points in the Volcanic Hollow

Ah, thank you!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I'm glad it is being discussed right now, because I just finished the story Shigeru Miyamoto fight and found it infuriating. I didn't cart, but I did chug ~23 megas/first aids. He seemed enraged like 80% of the fight, and seemingly all of his animations involve him jumping back or to the side or running or flying as part of attacks so not only did I only hit him a small minority of the time, he would get free hits in that would set up the occasional bullshit combo. Then he summoned the geysers and got to do nearly instant damage to me without having to leave openings! :shepicide: The fight doesn't seem to be designed around slow weapons, as I basically just gave up trying to do the Axe stuff with my Charge Axe and just poked him impotently unless he was 100% focused on my cats, then I would hit one Axe swing then waste a phial missing the very next attack because oh hey he finished one entire attack, turned, and hit me before my second attack could get off. A WELL DESIGNED FIGHT

It was like fighting an rear end in a top hat combo of Tigrex and Silver Rath and I don't want to do it ever again. I'd rather fight loving Fatalis or something than that golden fuckwad.

I fought him with a Charge Blade and had no trouble hitting him with phial attacks or dodging his attacks. :gitgud:

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 20, 2015

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Shaggy is fun but with him taking up the whole screen at times and all the explosions, it's really easy to get confused and mess up the controls.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

When I fight Shagaru I make good use of the tiny ledges you can hop off if to knock it down. It makes things a lot easier.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
How long does the Gloves Off effect last? Seems like it might be okay but I'm willing to bet it's like 30 seconds or something terrible like that.

Alternatively, any good armor sets/skills for dual blades in high rank?

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
Finally got the new 3ds xl today and mh4u and so far I am loving the game. My only complaint is trying to grip the console is causing my hands to cramp. Any of you larger goons have a set of pseudo - controller grips you would recommend?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

That Gobbo posted:

How long does the Gloves Off effect last? Seems like it might be okay but I'm willing to bet it's like 30 seconds or something terrible like that.

Alternatively, any good armor sets/skills for dual blades in high rank?

It was 90 seconds in 3u, and I don't think it's been changed, but I haven't actually tried it myself.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I just killed Gore Magala for the first time. It was extremely stressful and I think that Hunting Horn is not the best weapon to use against it. It's way too fast and strong for me to keep up. Before continuing on I gotta do some serious farming to upgrade my armor to something more safe, at the very least.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Finished my Attack Up (L) set, time to go do things past HR1 now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone else think the nub on the N3DSXL kinda sucks for controlling the camera? It's difficult for me to get my thumb in place to move the nub down, and the camera controls being effectively digital doesn't help much. Kind of disappointing :(

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone else think the nub on the N3DSXL kinda sucks for controlling the camera? It's difficult for me to get my thumb in place to move the nub down, and the camera controls being effectively digital doesn't help much. Kind of disappointing :(

It is fine for horizontal movement but moving the camera up and down is not really easy to do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ciaphas posted:

I've had nothing but good experiences with my nub (ha)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I... actually got used to it fairly quickly. There were still times where my thumb would reach for the d-pad like it used to in 3U, but now I'm fine with it. I use it all the time.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ciaphas posted:

I acclimated very quickly. Give it more time maybe?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

People say the nub gets worn in and gets more responsive over time

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I slammed pink rathian in the Online urgent so hard with a hammer that she exploded into pieces

What I did was zone in from the tippy top where you take the big fall into the pit and I drew my hammer as I went down and landed in her middle and it was a direct hit. The Back broke, her head broke, and both her wings broke.

And then about a second later someone taps her tail with a sword and it went flying off.

The Shark hammer makes a delightful air whizzing wooshing sound as it's going down through the air.

We then did hammer diving on black gravios one after the other when he went into the area with the vine ceiling. He was down within 6 minutes.

we then repeated it 3 more times so everyone could be HR6.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 20, 2015

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Celery Face posted:

Rathalos is somehow an even bigger rear end in a top hat in this game. Stop spending so much time in the air! :argh:

MH4 Rathalos is MH3 Azure Rathalos, complete with the mini-dive and the aerial shotgun breath. Normal Rathalos does not gently caress around this time. He also needs to drop 3 goddamn tails for me. When I sever the tail, and I carve the tail, I expect to receive a motherfucking tail!

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Celery Face posted:

Rathalos is somehow an even bigger rear end in a top hat in this game. Stop spending so much time in the air! :argh:

Crag shot the wings, bring it down :getin:

I already miss my God's Archipelago from 3U

Rathalos does linger in the air, but he doesn't take to the air nearly as much as Blue Rathalos, who also likes to attack from the air. I think all the climbing and mount mechanics may have required that the time in the air was adjusted to balance, but that's speculation for now.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So I just did a rare expedition that said it had a treasure area, but I don't see one, are they hidden or something?

I found one, it was an area with no monsters and rare finds, particularly one node that had rusted shards and battered items(2 or 3).

I think one of the required expeditions I did had a treasure room. Anyone else?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So thanks to following the thread, I've gotten over a lot of my other issues with the game and have Embraced The Clunk. So thanks for that. :3:

There is one last thing I'm not very clear on, though: how, exactly, does "elemental" damage work? Especially when the "element" is a status effect?

The example I'm faced with right now: Stealth Glaive versus Leumundslist. So obviously the Stealth can poison targets, I've done that, and I assume that a higher number for the status effect just means it's easier to land an effect, especially after the monster builds up a little resistance to it over a fight. I'm a little unclear on exactly how Leumund or other pure-element weapons work, however - do they just do flat elemental damage of their type on top of their raw damage? Or is it like other status effects where the element number is a chance to inflict that element's blight (e.g. dragonblight?) Or is it both? If it's both, does that mean there's "poison damage" or "paralysis damage" too? That doesn't seem right to me, but at this point I'm not sure.

Basically how element work halp :saddowns:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there a place online that has a list of which quests you need to do to go through each HR?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is there a place online that has a list of which quests you need to do to go through each HR?
Caravan/village quests
Guild quests

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Not fully translated but you can match up the icons and take your best guess. You'll want to do all of the quests eventually anyway (for VE tickets) so I just clear out each HR before moving on.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Just use http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/quest/guild

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

SpaceDrake posted:

Elemental damage is like a completely separate damage that's done similar to regular, unaspected damage. If the monster is weak to the element, and you use a lot of it, you should be able to outperform a weapon of equal damage that doesn't have an elemental aspect.

On the other hand, you use elemental against something that's not weak/resistant to it, and it'll take forever to kill something. I know there's math on this, but I don't know if the numbers for this changed between 3U and 4/4U.

Basically, certain weapons are better for elemental, but if you're sperging over efficiency, go for more damage.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Ceadeus was such a boring fight that Shagaru Magala would have to be astoundingly badly designed to be less fun. I've said it before and I'll say it again, water combat was trash and its removal is one of the best things about MH4U. Ceadeus would have been a lovely fight on land but it's just so so awful in water.

The land version of Ceadeus is basically Lao-Shan, so yeah pretty much

Notorious QIG posted:

Ceadeus would've been fun if the fight was entirely in area 3.

I made both Helios X and Z and farmed him for money, so I'm uniquely qualified to say gently caress no

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mistle posted:

Elemental damage is like a completely separate damage that's done similar to regular, unaspected damage. If the monster is weak to the element, and you use a lot of it, you should be able to outperform a weapon of equal damage that doesn't have an elemental aspect.

On the other hand, you use elemental against something that's not weak/resistant to it, and it'll take forever to kill something. I know there's math on this, but I don't know if the numbers for this changed between 3U and 4/4U.

Basically, certain weapons are better for elemental, but if you're sperging over efficiency, go for more damage.

Okay, I thought that was the case for standard elements, but I'm still a little unclear on how the status effects work, then. Is the "element" number just how well the weapon beats a monster's status defense? Or does it also do damage?

Is "Poison-element damage" or "Paralysis-element damge" a thing, is what I'm asking here.

Sorry if this seems :saddowns: as all hell, it's just one of those things the game is super unclear on.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

So thanks to following the thread, I've gotten over a lot of my other issues with the game and have Embraced The Clunk. So thanks for that. :3:

There is one last thing I'm not very clear on, though: how, exactly, does "elemental" damage work? Especially when the "element" is a status effect?

The example I'm faced with right now: Stealth Glaive versus Leumundslist. So obviously the Stealth can poison targets, I've done that, and I assume that a higher number for the status effect just means it's easier to land an effect, especially after the monster builds up a little resistance to it over a fight. I'm a little unclear on exactly how Leumund or other pure-element weapons work, however - do they just do flat elemental damage of their type on top of their raw damage? Or is it like other status effects where the element number is a chance to inflict that element's blight (e.g. dragonblight?) Or is it both? If it's both, does that mean there's "poison damage" or "paralysis damage" too? That doesn't seem right to me, but at this point I'm not sure.

Elements just add bonus damage if the monster is weak to that element. If the monster isn't weak to that element, you'll just deal your weapon's raw damage. For Status weapons, a bigger number means you'll need less applications before it kicks in. Each monster has a tolerance for status effects, and you wear down that tolerance with your weapon strikes if you're using a status weapon. When their tolerance hits 0, they receive the actual effect. Each time they succumb to a status effect, it requires more and more hits to trigger another. SnS and Dual Blades are great for applying status effects since the multiple hits means they'll be afflicted sooner.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Do the Wycoon farm-like places level up through use or quests? All the Sap Plants and Seeds have Pokke at 3 stars while the other two sit at one.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Seltas Queen was fuckin scary.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
When do you unlock buying potions/first aid? I really don't want to go gather mushrooms.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So finally trying out Glaive myself to force myself out of my Long Sword/Gunlance routine, is there any "ideal" stat setup I should be building towards, or is it enough to just keep bumping the Stamina + Speed?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way to buy raw meat? :(

Pomp fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 20, 2015

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Am I the only one that thinks Wycoon sounds like an ethnic slur?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there arent any n3ds xl grips on amazon and many other places like play-asia are out of stock so Im going to be buying mine via a proxy shipper on amazon.jp I can order a few more if anyone else wants one. It should be about $20 shipped and you need to let me know in the next few hours if you want one.

this one

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 20, 2015

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Do the Wycoon farm-like places level up through use or quests? All the Sap Plants and Seeds have Pokke at 3 stars while the other two sit at one.
They level up through use so send them on runs as often as possible.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Today I got my rainbow armour option and killed Crimson Fatalis. These are the fruits of my labour for doing every single quest. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Gyoru posted:

They level up through use so send them on runs as often as possible.

Balls. I don't want to stop making sap plants. Any idea what the max level is? And is it number or runs or cycles? I usually do the max number of cycles since I'm lazy.

• Locked thread