Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

King Lou posted:

Greggy, what you & Billy Corigan did was very odd. I was not expecting to hear my show referenced! I hope you enjoyed the subject matter. :P

It was great, I love the show Lou.

And yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens from that Hollywood Handbook mention, it was very nice for Hayes to do that for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

maybe you could spend a little casheesh and buy the pro version you cheapskate.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
once the money from all these ads I've been reading starts pouring in I will go double pro

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Just heard this terribly sad news: Harris Wittels has died of an overdose. So shocking and sad. He'll be telling his Foam Corner jokes to God now :smith:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Binowru posted:

Just heard this terribly sad news: Harris Wittels has died of an overdose. So shocking and sad. He'll be telling his Foam Corner jokes to God now :smith:

That's awful. I just listened to him on You Made It Weird and his openness about his struggle with heroin is incredible.

According to his friends on twitter, he said he was sober and in a good place last night. Either he relapsed today or has been covering it up.

E: VV I think he even said on a podcast that he nearly died on his first relapse because his tolerance dropped. And I think there was another time he moved and there was a regional difference in heroin purity and he passed out with a needle in his arm.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 20, 2015

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

red19fire posted:

That's awful. I just listened to him on You Made It Weird and his openness about his struggle with heroin is incredible.

According to his friends on twitter, he said he was sober and in a good place last night. Either he relapsed today or has been covering it up.

He probably did relapse just today. I've read that a lot of OD's happen after someone gets sober because their tolerance level gets really low and they try to use at their previous levels.

And man, I'm right there with you. His death seems really unreal. This is loving terrible.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
That's so sad. He had so much more foam to give.

I need to put Analyze Phish and all his CBB appearances back into rotation. He was always great without trying too hard.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

So a week after having Rory back and it being really funny, Todd Glass this Friday had Adomian on and this is great. If they could just get better with the dialing sounds, it would be perfect. Coincidence that it's two weeks in a row? Or maybe he's trying to get back to the basics.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Andy Kindler is on this week's Stop Podcasting Yourself so it's basically all of my favorite things at once.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

So a week after having Rory back and it being really funny, Todd Glass this Friday had Adomian on and this is great. If they could just get better with the dialing sounds, it would be perfect. Coincidence that it's two weeks in a row? Or maybe he's trying to get back to the basics.

As much as I've complained about the show they really have gotten a lot better at doing the show. When Todd keeps the ranting to a minimum and the silliness to a maximum it's a pretty great show.

I'm still hoping for Scott Aukerman as a guest. Maybe someday.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I don't have a better way to get ahold of you, Lou, but I just came across one of your voiceovers in the wild. I'm working on a video for a client and they passed along a video made by AT&T to describe APIs (for reference) and it wasn't until halfway through that I realized it was you. After that I started wondering when you'd start talking about forcing people to eat cum.

What's worse to read: Crappy explainer video narration, or graphic anal vore fantasies?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Can someone tell me if the new Dead Authors' Podcast is awkward to listen to? There was a preamble to the intro stating that PFT yelled at someone for coming in late, and it's weird that they would bother doing that if it didn't get weird.

CherryDoom
Jul 5, 2005

SIGH

UP AND ADAM posted:

Can someone tell me if the new Dead Authors' Podcast is awkward to listen to? There was a preamble to the intro stating that PFT yelled at someone for coming in late, and it's weird that they would bother doing that if it didn't get weird.

I haven't listened to the whole thing, but I did hear the incident in question. It's actually quite benign and humorous. PFT wasn't actually mad or anything. I think the preamble was just a joke. That said, I haven't finished the rest, but I doubt it escalates or anything.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

I have no idea what the preamble was for, except perhaps to give context for why Paul suddenly goes "I SEE YOU!" and gets a protracted laugh out of it. After a brief explanation/apology it's not mentioned again.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
It's maybe a little awkward to hear a ringing endorsement of heroin :(

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Reformed Pissboy posted:

I have no idea what the preamble was for, except perhaps to give context for why Paul suddenly goes "I SEE YOU!" and gets a protracted laugh out of it. After a brief explanation/apology it's not mentioned again.

Yeah, that's what it was for. The preamble is just so podcast listeners aren't left going, "Wait, why the hell did he say that?"

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

Andy Kindler is on this week's Stop Podcasting Yourself so it's basically all of my favorite things at once.

I'm not really familiar with his work, so I initially found him a little annoying, but by about halfway through the show I was super into his schtick.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I love Andy Kindler when he's doing his thing and Andy Kindlering around like he does. I can't stand him when he's doing his "I am the official judge of comedy and the following comedy people are not ok with me" thing. Fortunately SPY is the perfect environment for a guy who is good at making silly jokes so it was mostly the good Andy Kindler.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Hey folks,

A new episode of Lou Reads is up.

Human Puppy Enthusiasts

Are you down with H9 instead of K9? Then this episode is for you!

Beeez
May 28, 2012

tnimark posted:

I love Andy Kindler when he's doing his thing and Andy Kindlering around like he does. I can't stand him when he's doing his "I am the official judge of comedy and the following comedy people are not ok with me" thing. Fortunately SPY is the perfect environment for a guy who is good at making silly jokes so it was mostly the good Andy Kindler.

I have trouble enjoying him at all because of the "official judge of comedy" thing he does.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Roach Warehouse posted:

I'm not really familiar with his work, so I initially found him a little annoying, but by about halfway through the show I was super into his schtick.
I didn't like that early on he started talking poo poo on Emily Nussbaum for some reason. I like Emily Nussbaum.

I hear a lot of hyperbole about Kindler as some kind of Comedian's Comedian but this is a hard episode for me to finish.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Fitzdog Radio is slowly becoming one of my favorite podcasts. The last two episodes with TJ Miller and Kirk Fox were especially good.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Fitzdog Radio is slowly becoming one of my favorite podcasts. The last two episodes with TJ Miller and Kirk Fox were especially good.

I was shocked by how much I liked the TJ Miller one. I was going to skip it because he seemed like he'd be really irritating, but it ended up being a good mix of funny and other stuff. I had no idea about his crazy brain troubles.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but I'm loving the fact that their joint love of Australia seems to have persuaded Dave and Greg to do a live WTR in Melbourne despite Dave repeatedly insisting it was completely dead.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Yeah, I wonder what that show will be like. It'll either be entirely devoted to the show's latest implosion, or they'll mention it twice and try to pretend like it never happened.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

wafflesnsegways posted:

Yeah, I wonder what that show will be like. It'll either be entirely devoted to the show's latest implosion, or they'll mention it twice and try to pretend like it never happened.

Hoping they record it, and that the show opens with Greg saying "Welcome to The Dollop".

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
The latest Race Wars has the best loving story ever from Kurt about being in Ottawa with a coke dick.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Senor Tron posted:

Hoping they record it, and that the show opens with Greg saying "Welcome to The Dollop".

They have confirmed that it will be released on the old WTR rss.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've started listening to some other podcasts on Maximum Fun this week since I never really listen to any of them except Stop Podcasting Yourself.

- Baby Geniuses is pretty drat funny, and the theme song is stuck in my head all of the time now. It's a pretty typical chat show but with some roleplay and good segments to help differentiate it from the usual "2-3 people talking about whatever" podcasts.

- Oh No Ross and Carrie is pretty hit or miss (their episodes about cold reading or Christian Science were good, their ones about oil pulling or synthetic pheromones were kind of boring) but overall I like the concept and there's only one episode a month so I think I'll be a regular listener, I'm going through the backlog cherry picking episodes that sound good. I am looking forward to hearing about them going to a pro life pregnancy clinic, or when they covertly joined a truther group.

- Sawbones is great, and now that I'm working through their backlog I'm noticing that the Dollop has done a lot of episodes based on similar content, though the Dollop is funnier (Sawbones is shorter which probably is also a factor). Their episode on vaccines was great. I'll be a regular listener to this one too.

Any other maxfun podcasts worth checking out? I heard they have one with one of the 11 McElroys talking about amateur survivalism which sounds kinda interesting, anyone listened to that?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
MBMBAM is probably my favorite podcast.

Adventure Zone is basically another twice monthly episode of MBMBAM, but with their daddy. It's so great.

I like Jordan Jesse Go, but some people really dislike Jesse, and I can forgive them for that.

Throwing Shade is fun. I feel like I should put more than that here, but that's all I've got.

International Waters can be pretty great, but it's in my "listen when you have time" tier, rather than my "listen the week it comes out" tier.

I was really excited for Bunker Buddies because I really liked In Case of Emergency, which was basically the same podcast but with Travis and two of his Cincinnati friends instead of his LA friend. It's not as good.

Judge John Hodgman seems to have fallen to my "I don't actually listen to this anymore, but can't bring myself to unsubscribe" tier.

The Memory Palace is also really good, but never updates and apparently isn't a Max Fun show anymore, but you should listen to the archives anyway.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Judge John Hodgman seems to have fallen to my "I don't actually listen to this anymore, but can't bring myself to unsubscribe" tier.

JJHo used to be, like, top 3 podcast for me, but I listen maybe monthly now to whatever case sounds most interesting. Every other case seems to end with "I can't compel someone to do something that they don't want to do, but I can compel them to consider it for the sake of others", and there's only so many times that the case leading up to that conclusion can be funny.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Their requisite bad movie podcast, The Flop House, is pretty good. I think I like it better than How Did This Get Made though it's less flashy. They devote a lot of time to mailbag at the end which is skippable and make it a reasonable length. They just have a really good way of riding on each other and going on interesting tangents.

Why do people hate Jesse Thorn? I used to really like him but lately I'm finding myself liking him less and less and I'm not exactly sure why. Last week's JJGo was just Jordan and I found myself saying Thank God, but not really knowing why. I still really enjoy Bullseye for instance, I think he does really good interviews.

greatn fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 7, 2015

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

PFT is on todd glass. They stop talking about the word retard at 1:05 in.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Just to be clear, that's one hour and 5 minutes, right?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Mr. Squishy posted:

Just to be clear, that's one hour and 5 minutes, right?

Yes, not 1 day and 5 hours, which is not out of the question.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
jooseBAR

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
I have listened to that The Adventure Zone potion cannon/giant ogre fight three times now. It's so entertaining. If you haven't heard it, it's about halfway through this ep:

http://www.maximumfun.org/adventure-zone/ep-8-moonlighting-chapter-two

Poopy Palpy posted:

International Waters can be pretty great

Yes, International Waters CAN be pretty great. Everyone should listen to it, and also, pledge their money to it.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I used to love Jordan Jesse Go and The Sound of Young America, but I've had my fill of Jesse Thorne and I can't really listen to him any more. I don't want to pile on him too much, since, since I still respect him. But I think since he's gone pro, he's become kind of ungrounded and less self-aware, and he can be kind of overbearing and self-congratulatory. (At least when he's in his podcast persona. He also used to let his guard down more, which made me like him better.) He also still has this teenage attitude where he spends a lot of energy and pride on having the "right" opinions on entertainment. I'd rather listen to someone with "bad" taste talk about their opinions in an interesting and insightful way than listen to someone with "good" taste recite their opinions over and over.

But he's also funny and has done some great interviews, and some of those early episodes of Jordan Jesse Go are fantastic, and some of the things he said on them still pop into my head occasionally. He's also a good sidekick on Judge John Hodgman.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And Flop House is really funny and the hosts have great chemistry. And when they actually do talk about movies, they have interesting things to say about them, although that's only 5% of the running time of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

wafflesnsegways posted:

I used to love Jordan Jesse Go and The Sound of Young America, but I've had my fill of Jesse Thorne and I can't really listen to him any more. I don't want to pile on him too much, since, since I still respect him. But I think since he's gone pro, he's become kind of ungrounded and less self-aware, and he can be kind of overbearing and self-congratulatory. (At least when he's in his podcast persona. He also used to let his guard down more, which made me like him better.) He also still has this teenage attitude where he spends a lot of energy and pride on having the "right" opinions on entertainment. I'd rather listen to someone with "bad" taste talk about their opinions in an interesting and insightful way than listen to someone with "good" taste recite their opinions over and over.

But he's also funny and has done some great interviews, and some of those early episodes of Jordan Jesse Go are fantastic, and some of the things he said on them still pop into my head occasionally. He's also a good sidekick on Judge John Hodgman.

I agree with most of this. I stopped listening to JJGO just because sometimes those two are really overly pleased with themselves to the point where I couldn't take it anymore. They have a commercial that runs on a lot of the MaxFun shows for JJGO where they are just saying a list of non-sequiturs and you can hear how preciously clever they think they are being. Also before he turned 30 & had a kid Jesse could be amazingly age-ist, which I found tiresome (because I get tired because I'm old). Also, his obsession over Bay Area hip hop borders on mania.

I do like Jesse on Judge John Hodgman. I met Jordan Morris at a friends BBQ and he was a very approachable guy.

• Locked thread