Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Collateral Damage posted:

I remember first seeing that when I was in high school about 20 years ago. I wonder if they've ever had a serious offer on it.

After reading "Command and Control", about the US missile program and how amazing it is that we made it out of the '60's without a major nuclear accident, my interest in buying a silo home dropped dramatically. I can't even imagine the absurd amounts of carcinogens that would be floating around those places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

After reading "Command and Control", about the US missile program and how amazing it is that we made it out of the '60's without a major nuclear accident, my interest in buying a silo home dropped dramatically. I can't even imagine the absurd amounts of carcinogens that would be floating around those places.

Yeah, generally if you get one you wind up paying a ton of money to clean up the thing, more money to bring it up to modern fire codes / fix the crumbly bits, repair what's been abandoned for 40 years, etc. Then you get to live in a cold concrete hole in the ground in the middle of bumfuck nowhere flyover state.

They only cost like $100,000 for a reason.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
But just think how quiet it would be.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Yeah, generally if you get one you wind up paying a ton of money to clean up the thing, more money to bring it up to modern fire codes / fix the crumbly bits, repair what's been abandoned for 40 years, etc. Then you get to live in a cold concrete hole in the ground in the middle of bumfuck nowhere flyover state.

They only cost like $100,000 for a reason.

They only cost like 100k till someone has done all that for you - also, the temp underground is fairly constant once you get below about ten feet or less, at 55 degrees or higher, which means you need very little insulation to maintain a comfortable temp year round.

Moisture and drainage are the big issues.

As for middle of bumfuck nowhere, some of us like that - flyover state, not so much.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Other threads have taught me that people who live in a flyover state get upset when you call it a flyover state.

But yeah, that silohome has a personal air strip not because it's neat, but because it's the only practical way to get there.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Other threads have taught me that people who live in a flyover state get upset when you call it a flyover state.

But yeah, that silohome has a personal air strip not because it's neat, but because it's the only practical way to get there.

Feature, not a bug.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

... it's only like 20 miles from interstate 87, dude. :v:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The real problem is that the internet out there is going to be awful.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Zhentar posted:

The real problem is that the internet out there is going to be awful.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The only way I am buying that place (yes, I have wanted to for years, shut up, don't judge me, etc) is if I win the lottery so I figure that isn't a difficult problem to solve.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

... it's only like 20 miles from interstate 87, dude. :v:

So it takes 20 minutes before you can get started on going to where there's actually something to do!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My only interaction with pretty much all of middle-america's rectangle states has been flying over them so petition to get air corridors changed if you don't want to be a flyover state :shrug:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

kastein posted:

The only way I am buying that place (yes, I have wanted to for years, shut up, don't judge me, etc) is if I win the lottery so I figure that isn't a difficult problem to solve.

Nobody is judging you man, it would be the most sensible real estate purchase we have seen you make. Carpenter ants can't eat concrete.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I was joking with that - should have made it clearer.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So it takes 20 minutes before you can get started on going to where there's actually something to do!
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on that one. You stay in the city, I'll stay out in the woods.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I grew up 10+ miles from town and it sucks to be the only kid in your class who can't just ride their bike to their friends' houses :(

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on that one. You stay in the city, I'll stay out in the woods.

Sorry, I was more referring to basic services like groceries and hospitals (and perhaps more pertinently for this thread, hardware stores). Having to drive for ages to get that stuff is a pain in the rear end and/or seriously dangerous. I absolutely understand the appeal of living out in the middle of nowhere; there's plenty to do out there. Bad phrasing on my part.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Living in Northern Wisconsin with a two mile walk to where the school bus would pick you up sucked. I wouldn't live anywhere but a city now.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sorry, I was more referring to basic services like groceries and hospitals (and perhaps more pertinently for this thread, hardware stores). Having to drive for ages to get that stuff is a pain in the rear end and/or seriously dangerous. I absolutely understand the appeal of living out in the middle of nowhere; there's plenty to do out there. Bad phrasing on my part.

Just get amazon prime and make UPS do all your driving.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bad Munki posted:

Just get amazon prime and make UPS do all your driving.

Pretty sure even UPS has rules on where they'll deliver. 20 miles of unimproved gravel road would probably be pushing it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Pretty sure even UPS has rules on where they'll deliver. 20 miles of unimproved gravel road would probably be pushing it.

Usually what they do is get it to the closest hub, and then pass it over to USPS for the final mile. There have been times that I could not overnight or 2-day a delivery because the endpoint was so isolated that they would need to pass it over to the postal service for the final leg (so they won't guarantee a short timeframe).

I think the post office will deliver pretty much anywhere that has an actual address, but there are limits even then, they're just a lot lower than for the courier companies.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Leperflesh posted:

When I was a teenager my family moved to a rural village in Hampshire in the UK, where we lived for three years. There were a handful of thatched cottages in town, complete with dirt floors, and we got to go inside one (still lived in by a family). The timbers used to build the house were repurposed ship timbers, so they were even older than the house. The village church had been renovated in (vaguely recalling, might be a hundred years off) the fifteen century I think? E.g., parts of the original structure were much older than that.

That said, there were only maybe six thatched cottages in the village, which must have originally had a couple hundred at least. So that's like a 2-4% survival rate.

If you want your home to last a really, really long time, may I suggest finding a natural cave (not a limestone cavern, mind you) and moving in? We've got some that have survived basically intact for 10,000+ years.

Which little village, out of interest? The place I was talking about is a little village in Hampshire. Well more than just a few thatched cottages though, and I think our floors were brick on a damp proof membrane on dirt. Then carpet.

A lot of the lack of survival rate is more down to their vulnerability to fire than to their structural insufficiency though. In a village of maybe 400 households there were at least 4 major fires whilst I was growing up, two of which claimed entire houses. Thatch burns easy. That's much more relevant to this thread than the structural stuff.

Three stories on that particular note, actually, all on fires.

First... well, more of a sentence than a story. If you live in a wood frame thatched cottage, don't have real candles on your Christmas tree, however much of a tradition it is where you're from. You colossal fuckwit.

Second... partly, don't be a tiny little old lady cooking with a chip pan on an old-fashioned stove. It's dumb. Partly, install fire baffles in the roof space of your terrace. The fire got into the roof space which was shared right down a six house terrace. The entire roof burned off. The terrace mostly survived. My parents then installed some fire baffles. Thatch makes a lot of dust in the roof spaces, fire gets in there it more or less explodes.

Third... when you have a thatched roof, and are considering getting recessed halogen light fittings, don't. When you're considering recessing them INTO the thatch, don't be a loving moron. That house had what;s called a catslide roof meaning the thatch goes right down to just above ground level on one side, it was beautiful, but they recessed their halogen lights into the thatch in a ground floor bathroom. By the time the fire service got there, the house was unsalvageable, they spent a lot of the time hosing down the neighbours' houses to stop any cinders which dropped on the rooves from catching them as well.

Those are my three stories for this thread about thatch. The only really major non-routine-maintenance works my parents did that weren't building extensions were 1: to stiffen the structure of the building as it was veeeeeeeery gradually collapsing. Like, probably in the next hundred years or so it would have slide in a parallelogram style out into the road and 2: to replace all the boarding between the joists with fireproof boards, and add fireproof baffles into the attic space. Routine maintenance wise thatch is super expensive. Depending on the direction it faces straw thatch typically needs replacing every 5 to 20 years, it costs about £3000 to do one half of one face of my parents' roof. Last time they got any done which was I think nearly 10 years back.

It's worth noting that most of these places (my parents' included) are still heated with wood, coal or smokeless fuel stoves. I.e. burning stuff going up a chimney. Yup. One of the interesting things about my parents' place is that they have a water jacket around the stove to run the hot water in the winter. So if the fire gets away from itself, it will burn through certain strategically thin points in the water jacket and self extinguish. I think; it's been a long while and I was young when it was installed... after the old one rusted/burned through and very nearly flooded sooty water onto the new cream carpet. So yeah, more stuff for this thread than I thought.

But the wood frames are ludicrously solid; they old-growth oak mostly and whilst we do have some boring insects in this country (woodworm principally) the beams are hard enough after 500 years that they'd get a headache before they made it in...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Which little village, out of interest?

King's Somborne. Named because it used to be the summer home of a "King." John' O'Gaunt is associated with the village. He was only a Duke (of Lancaster) and a Prince, never a King of England, but apparently when he married some Spanish lady, he had a claim on the crown of Castile and Leon, and made a big deal out of it, until he eventually surrendered that claim.

Anyway, there's remains of an old building there that has been called "King John's Palace." I don't remember if there's any proof that it was his home, or that anyone called it that at the time.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Heh, I still go through there occasionally, I have relatives in the area. It has more thatched places than you think. One of the thatched porches used to have a mohawk :3:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Hampshire and Wiltshire have no shortage of tiny villages with thatched roofed cottages. I drive through one village every day that's so twee even the bus shelter has a thatched roof.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

Hampshire and Wiltshire have no shortage of tiny villages with thatched roofed cottages. I drive through one village every day that's so twee even the bus shelter has a thatched roof.

:3: but also how many times a year does some careless smoker's cigarette butt burn the drat thing down?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Not too often, judging by the moss.

That image must be from a few years ago, it got rethatched pretty recently.

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 19, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Heh, I still go through there occasionally, I have relatives in the area. It has more thatched places than you think. One of the thatched porches used to have a mohawk :3:

Yeah completely possible, I lived on the A3057 and walked to the post office, church, etc. in the village center, but mostly I didn't go to the various other areas of the village.

Google Maps street view suggests the thatched cottage I went in isn't there any more. Maybe it burned down. That'd be a real shame.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

You know that huge chunks of the population live that way now, right? I mean, Iowa's not that sparsely populated, and most of the state is far enough from the nearest real hospital that they run helicopter ambulances. Hell, in a lot of places it's more like 50 miles between gas stations, out in the really empty states.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

You know that huge chunks of the population live that way now, right? I mean, Iowa's not that sparsely populated, and most of the state is far enough from the nearest real hospital that they run helicopter ambulances. Hell, in a lot of places it's more like 50 miles between gas stations, out in the really empty states.

Sure, and that doesn't change that it sucks. I'm not saying you can't do it, since people demonstrably do all the time. It's just a pretty major tradeoff.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

I can get a beam not being level. But bowing like that? All the structural wood in this place is glorified cardboard.

e: yeah sorry, phone posting

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 19, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, I'm back. Had to step into the back yard real quick to look at that pic.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I can get a beam not being level. But bowing like that? All the structural wood in this place is glorified cardboard.

e: yeah sorry, phone posting

haha have you been to a lumber yard lately? that old bowed/knotted piece of poo poo is modern No. 1 grade stuff :rimshot:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nice rats nest there buddy.

Source: http://imgur.com/gallery/4bfjb

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It is a rat's nest, but it's also kind of a cool finished product. I am feeling a little conflicted here.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bad Munki posted:

It is a rat's nest, but it's also kind of a cool finished product. I am feeling a little conflicted here.

Would an A/V receiver, conduit, and proper routing REALLY have driven the cost up too much? There's no reason for like, 80% of those cables.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, not to mention that the shelving for all the consoles is built up against the wall, so there was literally no reason to run the wires through the walls at all, could have just run them between the cabinet and the wall to a central panel, even. I just like the final cosmetic result, but yeah, it could have been achieved waaaaaaay more easily/effectively.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
cool so if a cable goes bad or a new hdmi format comes out or you add a device you get to rip it all out and redo drywall. Good idea.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

`Nemesis posted:

cool so if a cable goes bad or a new hdmi format comes out or you add a device you get to rip it all out and redo drywall. Good idea.

Well, it doesn't look like anything is secured, so fishing a new couple can be done when you pull the old one out. But yes, still a silly way to go about creating the final product.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All that effort and he doesn't even have a CRT for his pre-HD systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

All that effort and he doesn't even have a CRT for his pre-HD systems.

This is the most shameful part to me, really.