Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Knifegrab posted:

Maybe this is my problem too. Would a higher heat yield a more tender result as well?

Yes. Your expectations should be realigned though -- the point of the low multiday cooks for meats like brisket and short rib is to create a different texture from the one you're used to. ChefSteps has a great series of descriptions and videos showing this in shortribs at http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/short-ribs-time-and-temp . If you want the traditional falling-apart brisket, cook in the 160's or higher, and you'll get a particularly good rendition of what you're used to. Doing it super low for three days, however, gives you a much firmer but still tender outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Keep in mind the quality of your meat also influences how tender it turns out.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Ahhh ok, thanks for the tips guys! I'm apparently a real ding aling!

So how do I make super tender filet mignon then? Everytime I cook a filet it comes out good and perfectly cooked, but again, not very tender. I don't want to cook it at 160 or higher obviously so what is the solution there?

I am gonna go to a really great meat place after work today and grab some new brisket! If anyone has any really great brisket recipes, I am all ears! I might just try the one I did before only do it at 166F for 24 hours.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Filet isn't particularly interesting sous vide. It's already tender, that's why it costs so much. Just take the raw steak and sear it and serve it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Maybe by 'tender' he means 'all the collagen has hydrolyzed' and the meat just falls apart.

If you want that to happen, you need higher temperatures. Collagen really starts to denature at 160. It'll shrink up and begin to break down at 140 but if you're thinking of the kind of brisket where you just poke it and the fibers separate from each other, that's going to take the higher temps to break down the collagen in the connective tissues that hold the muscle fibers together.

Doing this with filet would be a crime. It's tender in the first place because there's not that much connective tissue to begin with, cooking it to well-done temperatures until it falls apart is a total waste.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The other tenderizing temperature zone is about 110-120 F which is when the meat's own enzymes get to work, but is also in the bacteria danger zone, so you can try cooking it for a couple hours at 110-120 F to tenderize before raising the temp to the target doneness for an hour.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I must just be getting poo poo cuts then, my filet is normally not very tender.

So I am going to try a new brisket at 165F, should I leave the fat and stuff on the brisket? Will it render at that temperature? Do I want it to render? I know nothing :(

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Leave the fat on the brisket, cook the hell out of it, sear the fat side, and eat slices. It's so goddamn good.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
We'll be throwing a naming party for our boy (think baptism without the religious aspects) and since our budget is limited, I am going to do as much of the cooking as possible. Any good suggestions for sous-vide preparations that don't require much, if any, finishing on the day (can be served cold or reheated in oven) and would work well in a buffet setting? At the venue we'll have a single stove and two ovens, but not much in the way of time or equipment.

I'm considering doing a lightly cured carpaccio style-thing with rosemary and brown sugar, sliced super thin but other than that I'm feeling very uninspired.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So what is the point of the searzall I keep hearing about? What is wrong with searing in a pan? It seems like its more trouble than its worth.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Knifegrab posted:

I must just be getting poo poo cuts then, my filet is normally not very tender.

How are you cooking it? For a cut with actual marbling like ribeye you want to cook it to medium so the fat renders, but with filet there's no fat to render in the first place so you're better off with rare. If you're cooking it to medium or beyond you're just making it tougher.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Knifegrab posted:

So what is the point of the searzall I keep hearing about? What is wrong with searing in a pan? It seems like its more trouble than its worth.

You don't need a searzall, but:
- it lets you see how much it's being seared, in case you want a little more control
- you can do touchups in case part of your steak wasn't seared enough
- you can sear round or oddly shaped objects that wouldn't do well in a skillet or broiler
- you can sear steaks with bones in them, which would normally lift off the skillet
- you can sear delicate things that might fall apart in a skillet
- also, it's loving fun

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Knifegrab posted:

What's the point of an immersion circulator? Why can't you just boil-in-a-bag? Heck, stewin' was good enough for my pappy, and by god it's good enough for me!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Phanatic posted:

How are you cooking it? For a cut with actual marbling like ribeye you want to cook it to medium so the fat renders, but with filet there's no fat to render in the first place so you're better off with rare. If you're cooking it to medium or beyond you're just making it tougher.

Noted for ribeye or other things marbled, but for filets I normally do it rare to medium rare.

edit: In response to the searzall stuff, makes sense I guess. Does it put off a lot of smoke?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Torches are nice because you can take the dish outside and sear there instead of filling your place up with smoke (if you're unlucky enough to not have an external venting hood).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

You don't need a searzall, but:
- it lets you see how much it's being seared, in case you want a little more control
- you can do touchups in case part of your steak wasn't seared enough
- you can sear round or oddly shaped objects that wouldn't do well in a skillet or broiler
- you can sear steaks with bones in them, which would normally lift off the skillet
- you can sear delicate things that might fall apart in a skillet
- also, it's loving fun

Seriously, I considered a Searzall when the Kickstarter was going, but having seen videos of it in use I'm not sure which of those things you list can't be done just as well just be a regular torch head. Has anyone used both who can chime in on whether it's worth it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Also, it's not just for searing, it's a also hand-held broiler. For example, I made this pork loin roasted in a clay shell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgkVzYe7p_A

However, the recipe is bullshit because if you cook the roast enough that the clay becomes hard enough to break with a hammer, the pork loin inside becomes way overcooked. If you cook it so that the pork loin is still juicy and tender, the clay is still wet and leathery. My solution was to cook it until it was tender inside, then used the searzall on the clay to get it dry and hard so that I could do the table presentation of breaking open the clay. The searzall was fast enough that the heat didn't transfer to the inside. A broiler might be able to do this, but my oven has a bottom drawer broiler and the roast wouldn't have fit there.

Knifegrab posted:

edit: In response to the searzall stuff, makes sense I guess. Does it put off a lot of smoke?
Almost no smoke, although the interesting phenomenon is that the sudden heating of oil and water causes the steak to shoot off tiny comets of wispy oil like dozens of starshells on a steak battlefield.

Phanatic posted:

Seriously, I considered a Searzall when the Kickstarter was going, but having seen videos of it in use I'm not sure which of those things you list can't be done just as well just be a regular torch head. Has anyone used both who can chime in on whether it's worth it?

I used both. The problem with torches is that they're too hot, and the heat is concentrated in too small of an area. If the food wasn't perfectly flat, any "hills" in the steak or chicken would get singed while the rest of the meat "plains" and "valleys" wouldn't be seared enough. The main point of the searzall is more even distribution of that heat to a 4 inch diameter circle so that you get more even browning.

The exception to this I think is doing creme brulee. I'm not sure why but there's no major improvement using a searzall.

Do you need a searzall? Not really, you can get most of the same benefits with a skillet. But the minor advantages are worth it for some of us food hobbyist nerds in the same way computer hobbyists will buy new videocards to get a few more fps in their games.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 18, 2015

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Dane posted:

We'll be throwing a naming party for our boy (think baptism without the religious aspects) and since our budget is limited, I am going to do as much of the cooking as possible. Any good suggestions for sous-vide preparations that don't require much, if any, finishing on the day (can be served cold or reheated in oven) and would work well in a buffet setting?

As a person who likes ceremony and dislikes religion, I find this concept interesting.

Anyway... Most anything sous vide can be chilled in an ice bath, thrown in the fridge, and warmed/finished a day or two later.

I might suggest a couple tritips (I usually do 6 hours at 133 but for large groups you may be safer doing 138 or 140, it seems like 50% of any group can't handle medium rare). Sear for a few minutes/side on the day of (torch is good here for the curvy bits), then let warm in the oven for a while (or bring your sous vide setup and pre-warm to 130 before searing). Slice and make available with salsa on the side. Also the aforementioned brisket could be good.

And don't forget you can do veggies sous vide also; the carrots and pearl onions recipe mentioned a dozen pages back went over pretty well when I made them on Christmas, though it takes a while in a pan after sous viding (puddling vizzling bathing what have you).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Dane posted:

We'll be throwing a naming party for our boy (think baptism without the religious aspects) and since our budget is limited, I am going to do as much of the cooking as possible. Any good suggestions for sous-vide preparations that don't require much, if any, finishing on the day (can be served cold or reheated in oven) and would work well in a buffet setting? At the venue we'll have a single stove and two ovens, but not much in the way of time or equipment.

I'm considering doing a lightly cured carpaccio style-thing with rosemary and brown sugar, sliced super thin but other than that I'm feeling very uninspired.

Some pastrami of course

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

FireTora posted:

Edit: Update from Nomiku, they said they haven't seen that issue much and offered to replace it, return label included, no charge. Also offered to reimburse me for the ribs if they were lost from the problem. A+ customer service, would break again.

Update on this, Just got my new Nomiku from them. Took a while to get, apparently they've been busy. ~2 weeks to get the new one after they received the broken one. They never did ask about purchase date or anything though for warranty. Their site says it has a 1 year warranty, but I was one of the Kickstarter backers and had it like a year and a half.

Time to puddle some dinner!

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I like my Searzall if I'm eating alone, but I found it too slow for more than one piece of meat at a time. It's helpful when smoking-out your apartment with a pan isn't an option because it's below freezing outside.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Dane posted:

Salmon. Salmon is amazing for this and can be served cold. Just completely pre-portion, vac and cook (I like 118-120 for 40).
Also, if you're doing any kind of salad that can be made a main by adding chicken breast, you don't need to sear it off, and it's the easiest way to do a bunch of perfect slabs of moist chicken that tastes like chicken.
Poached eggs can be finished incredibly fast with just a pot and slotted spoon -- if you have two people to make a mini assembly line, your net time is somewhere around 5 seconds per egg.
I find that pork loin roasts oven-finish better than beef roasts, I'm not sure why.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

For a party type thing eggs wise I've done spreadable yolks, I don't remember where I got the recipe but essentially it's just dropping egg yolks on a flavourful oil and heating to 62-65°C (I like 63.5) for an hour or two.

They can be served hot or cold and can be done before hand.

Then you'll have a bunch of whites to do stuff like foams, merengue or this stuff if you have a red siphon.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I somehow doubt we'll make pastrami from a WHOLE loving COW, but other than that, thanks!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Dane posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I somehow doubt we'll make pastrami from a WHOLE loving COW, but other than that, thanks!

Hey my idea was a quarter cow, but I like where you're going.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've never had duck confit but here I am, with a pair of legs and thighs, ready to make this happen.

Suggestions for sides to go with it? I'm not really up on french cooking in the slightest.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
make cassoulet

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Whoops, I should have been more specific: I was planning on making confit sous vide

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Is it safe to do a long-term (day or two) sous vide below 140°? What's the lower limit on a safe holding temperature? The searches I'm doing aren't giving me clear answers.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I do 135 all the time. I don't go below 130 for long cooks.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So a couple questions. I am doing a 24hr brisket at 184F. I decided on this temp and time from the blog posted above. I really love it when it all falls apart into spindles. Don't judge me.

However I noticed it was steaming a lot so before I went to bed I topped off the water in the container. But when I awoke I noticed that my circulator had turned off because the water level dropped too low! Most of the brisket was out of the water and the water temp had dropped to 94F. So I have two questions:

1) Will this hurt my cook, letting the meet get up to ~room temperature, and then re-sous videing it for the remaining time at 184F? Will this ruin flavor, texture, juiciness etc?

2) How can I prevent this in the future?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm not sure about the food safety, but to keep from losing your water, you need a lid. Even just aluminum foil will do. I use a coleman cooler as my container most times, and I just cut a corner off the lid so my Anova fits with the lid closed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's definitely a food safety risk. Standard procedure would be to chuck it, but take whatever risk you are comfortable with. And no matter what don't feed it to kids or elderly or pregnant or immune compromised.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I'd chuck it.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Knifegrab posted:

1) Will this hurt my cook, letting the meet get up to ~room temperature, and then re-sous videing it for the remaining time at 184F? Will this ruin flavor, texture, juiciness etc?

So I can be a little paranoid about food safety, but I don't think that you should ever eat meat that has been sitting at ~94F for an indeterminate amount of time. That is pretty much the ideal temperature for all kinds of unwanted bacterial growth, and bringing it back up to 184F after the fact will pasteurize the bacteria but won't eradicate the byproducts of whatever potentially harmful organisms have been hanging out in your meat overnight. Bringing it back up to safe temps won't make the meat safe for the same reason that you can't just cook a spoiled hunk of meat and make it safe again.

When I sous vide things overnight without a lid, I make sure it's at the maximum level when I go to bed, and I top it off again after about 8 hours to make sure that it doesn't run too low on water. For anything I leave in longer than 8 hours I also use a big adjustable mesh colander to make sure the meat doesn't float up above the water level as it cooks.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Get some ping pong balls, I did a 72 hour cook unsupervised without having evaporation woes like yours. Granted, it was a lower temp.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Or use aluminum foil to make a lid, because having to keep track of a bunch of ping pong balls in your kitchen is ridiculous.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

My Anova came so I googled to get an idea of what my first thing should be:

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-steak

The hell? Salt and pepper after searing?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Or use aluminum foil to make a lid, because having to keep track of a bunch of ping pong balls in your kitchen is ridiculous.
Get a cat, then you also have toys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Because I want my cat to associate its toys with my cooking food.