Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SamBishop posted:

Dude, you and I know we both will get all up in that poo poo the second in comes out. The only reason why I don't go back to those games now is that I don't have enough plugs to keep the PS3 turned on. I'm in, but we have to admit that they recycle the poo poo out of those games and their sprites and no amount of American reviews will stop it.

I still have my PS3 plugged in, but I bought the Vita version of Disgaea 4. Decided to stop being stubborn and just play through the story again. It's so much better because of the Vita's sleep mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

RE replacing hard drives: is there a simple way/walkthrough on how to do it? I've never previously bothered with a game machine but I'm downloading that much from Sony that I just know I'll fill the memory sooner rather than later.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Fraction posted:

RE replacing hard drives: is there a simple way/walkthrough on how to do it? I've never previously bothered with a game machine but I'm downloading that much from Sony that I just know I'll fill the memory sooner rather than later.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5107/~/upgrade-ps4-hdd

Yep!

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

SamBishop posted:

I usually think you a pretty insightful guy, but, uhhhhhhh no. That's not the case, and remember that just a few months back the games were even closer together in terms of release dates. Also, Bloodborne is most definitely not set in Victorian England, it just borrows the aesthetic for parts that you've seen. I will give you that both games use the period to inform their options in weapons, though ironically for a game with monsters and supernatural elements, Bloodborne is surprisingly staid in its weapon choices -- giant rear end hammer with a detachable hilt that becomes a sword notwithstanding.

Hah, fair point. I did think the idea of it being deliberate was a bit of a stretch. That being said, even if the closeness in release wasn't intentional, I wouldn't be shocked if after the dust has cleared Sony looks over everything and says, "Hmm, this game that focuses heavily on deep gameplay, replay value and a subtle story told through gameplay and item descriptions was more well-recieved than this other game that focused on super-graphics, lots of story cutscenes, QTEs and minimal gameplay. Perhaps we should interpret this as advice."

Also, Bloodborne really isn't set in England? Huh. I swear I remember reading an early preview that said it was actually set in England in the 19th Century but with supernatural elements - it stuck out to me given the straight-up low-fantasy settings of the Souls games. Hey, maybe it really IS set like 500 years after DeS...

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

NESguerilla posted:

I started having a really weird problem with one of my controllers. it works fine in the XMB, but when I start a game up it won't do anything within the game, but will still work in the xmb. If I switch it out for another controller and switch back to it, it will desync, and once I sync it, it will work fine, but the second I start up another game it will stop working again for that game. What on earth would cause something like this? :confused:

Sorry if that paragraph is painful to read.

That's a strange problem. You could try resetting the controller with a paper clip through the hole in the back. Maybe that might help.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

SamBishop posted:

Despite it never having been showcased as anything other than a pretty movie with some cover-based shooty bits with QTEs since the first gameplay trailers (that were, tellingly, also filled mostly with cutscenes), people have happily given the game poo poo from the get-go. They were understandably pissed about the constant piling-on and finally lashed out a little. They should have made a deeper, more fleshed-out game - of that there can be no doubt - but the constant negativity surrounding the game always felt incredibly bizarre to me when people that played it never once complained about the gameplay, only the length. Wait for it to drop in price or rent it, and experience the best graphics achieved to date. Simple. The need to rip on the game, I agree, has been incredibly weird.

All that said, RAD's track record is superlative for their respective platforms; the God of War games they did looked bonkers on the PSP, and in some ways were actually better-told stories than the first two GOW games they were based on. Daxter managed to make an open world on a handheld with a sidekick that was way more interesting than the main character in his franchise. Okami was already awesome, and they added some light motion controls so that hopefully more people played the game. C-Note my rear end.

[edit]
I was dumb and re-read c-note and now I sorta get it, but there was never an insinuation that the game was a fine steak, just that people are okay with enjoying a high-priced dining experience over a poo poo steak that you can eat forever. It's a poor analogy (really, none should have been made when they knowingly made a game that is cinematic above all else, but they haven't been exactly shy about that), but people are twisting the poo poo out of the statement to further the weird hate train.

Maybe people expect games to be focused on gameplay first and foremost, since it's the unique aspect to the medium. Just because you are up front about what your game is, doesn't make it something people want. The gamplay looked boring and lovely from the very first trailer, and that's why the negativity started early. Not sure why you find it bizarre that people were negative from the beginning, when the gameplay was so shallow that even trailers failed to make it look interesting.

Also it is not "understandable" that the developers are pissed. Do you think that if a trailer makes the game look bad, then people should just get hype anyway? Honestly what did they expect. They released a bunch of trailers that did not reflect positively on the game, and then cried when people said so. This is pretty straight forward, and there is nothing weird going on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nah, it started from the first announcement video.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I know, I am just not sure why this is relevant.

You said, 'This is always an issue for Obsidian'. Seems kind of dumb to use that as an example of something always being an issue for them.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 20, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SamBishop posted:

[edit]
I know this is an insanely weird question, but have you played them on the same TV?
Yeah, and I've been having this problem with Disgaea across three TVs (and since Disgaea 3).

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

SamBishop posted:

Despite it never having been showcased as anything other than a pretty movie with some cover-based shooty bits with QTEs since the first gameplay trailers (that were, tellingly, also filled mostly with cutscenes), people have happily given the game poo poo from the get-go.

You've confused 'despite it' with 'because of'.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Follow That Fish! posted:

I consider New Vegas a better game by a considerable margin, but I think Fallout 3 had a bigger impact. I don't know if I've ever played anything that felt as atmospheric as FO3 did at the time. You could explore this fascinating world in 3D for the first time, finding all sorts of strange and interesting stuff almost everywhere you went.

Page old but I felt pretty differently. FO3 was fun but I burnt out on it quickly because the main and most of the side plots weren't very interesting. New Vegas actually surprised me with how much atmosphere it oozed and how well-developed the characters and factions were. Even the sparse music still gets an emotional rise out of me when I hear it. The gameplay additions like the companion wheel were also well-done. I was definitely leery about it before playing it because of Obsidian's uneven record at the time but it ended up feeling like they finally hit one out of the park.

There are some caveats to all this though. I played on PC and started about 2 weeks after release so all the major bugs were already patched out. I was a fan of FO1 and 2 so I appreciated all the references and book-ends to factions from those games. Lastly, I grew up in California and spent a lot of time in the Mojave so it I already had some personal attachment to the setting.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

My first comment about the game in this thread was that looked like something I'd pay $15 for or just wait until it was free on PS+ but the hate train for the game still feels weird, mostly because it has gamergate/console warrior/entitled gamer stink all over it. This isn't aimed at you but it was the reading I got looking at reactions on Twitter and some game sites.

That said, the reviews are pretty much exactly what everyone here was expecting.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 20, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bloodychill posted:

Page old but I felt pretty differently. FO3 was fun but I burnt out on it quickly because the main and most of the side plots weren't very interesting. New Vegas actually surprised me with how much atmosphere it oozed and how well-developed the characters and factions were. Even the sparse music still gets an emotional rise out of me when I hear it. The gameplay additions like the companion wheel were also well-done. I was definitely leery about it before playing it because of Obsidian's uneven record at the time but it ended up feeling like they finally hit one out of the park.

:agreed:

This forum has a boner for Obsidian but New Vegas is one of the only titles I feel is really deserving of the praise. I mean like, Dungeon Siege 3 was actually just a boring/bad game, for example. I know the fanboys will say "it wasn't their IP" and "they didn't have total creative control" or whatever but... they still could have made something better, I think.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Brill, thanks!

Dumb question #2: is there a list of HDDs that will work with PS4? Or if I search on amazon uk for 2.5'' inch HDD will any of those be compatible? ETA: TLDR will this work?

Fraction fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 20, 2015

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
New Vegas is a really great fps Western RPG. I think the list of those is pretty short but NV is at or near the top. I gave my copy to my sister and I kind of regret it but she's been enjoying it and that is cool.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

bloodychill posted:

:agreed:

Though I will say that Fallout 3 has better music--or at least a better radio host. Three Dog :swoon:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Cross-post from The Order thread:

Just played the first hour, already on chapter 3. My thoughts, trying to go in with an open mind but with heavy doubts and essentially accidentally buying the game in a stupor late at night. I also spoiled the ending days ago when I thought there's no way I'd buy it.

-First impression is terrible. QTE cliche story nightmare. But it gets more interesting as it goes on. They really throw you in headfirst, lots of talk with very little exposition. Very talky game in general, will not please the "skip the cutscenes" types.

-Graphics are incredible, best I've ever seen, but the black bars are disappointing. Not a dealbreaker, but feels cheap.

-Controls are sharp, gameplay is heavily inspired by Last of Us with combat feeling a little more like Uncharted. First combat scene is very dull, very Uncharted and old school. Guns are ok, a little originality but nothing truly impressive yet.

-I think I'd be pretty optimistic about this game if I didn't hear so much bad press. It's made a decent first impression, better than the Last of Us, which I hated until after Pittsburgh.

-Tesla's first scenes are fun, the mention of Jack the Ripper was confusing. Like "what the gently caress are they talking about" confusing, didn't seem to fit in with anything.

-Lots of out-of-place mentions of American stuff in the first hour, almost like they showed it to a focus group and were told they couldn't relate to it because it was all this weird European poo poo.

-The French character and woman characters are bad cliches and they don't exactly hide who the bad guy who will betray you is in your first encounter with him.

-The first encounter with the werewolves was tense. I died twice before killing all three, and that was the first time the game presented any challenge. Can't say it was fun exactly, but it was interesting. The way I killed the last one was pretty impressive, I think it responded dynamically to what I did, but it was seamless so I'm not sure.

-The game is very chatty as mentioned. Doesn't seem overly clever though. So if you hate TV shows like Mad Men, you'll probably be clawing your eyes out with boredom. Even if you do like Mad Men, and I really do love Mad Men, it may not be smart enough to hold your interest. Too early to tell.

-Overall, if it had fun multiplayer like The Last of Us, and had more than five hours remaining, I would say it's been unfairly bashed. But at this point it's a "pick it up when it's $40" game. Might have guessed a "pick it up when it's $20" game before I played it.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Reverse Centaur posted:

-Overall, if it had fun multiplayer like The Last of Us, and had more than five hours remaining, I would say it's been unfairly bashed. But at this point it's a "pick it up when it's $40" game. Might have guessed a "pick it up when it's $20" game before I played it.

The lack of MP really is a shame, even if they do think standard deathmatches wouldn't fit their setting. Given the short length of the game and the price they've put it at, one thing I'd love for them to make is a selection of DLC co-op missions with freer use of the various guns. Preferably free DLC. It won't happen, but it should.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Reverse Centaur posted:

...Even if you do like Mad Men, and I really do love Mad Men, it may not be smart enough to hold your interest...

comparing the order to mad men is uh, interesting?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Attitude Indicator posted:

comparing the order to mad men is uh, interesting?

You took that way out of context. I said that it's very chatty, didn't compare it directly to Mad Men.

Also it got a lot less chatty after the first part.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

bloodychill posted:

My first comment about the game in this thread was that looked like something I'd pay $15 for or just wait until it was free on PS+ but the hate train for the game still feels weird, mostly because it has gamergate/console warrior/entitled gamer stink all over it. This isn't aimed at you but it was the reading I got looking at reactions on Twitter and some game sites.

That said, the reviews are pretty much exactly what everyone here was expecting.

By your own admission you felt like the game looked like a bargain bin purchase, and that the reviews justified what people felt, yet you label others with the same opinion with a negative connotation. I don't really understand? I'm not even sure I understand any of the associations you made either. Gamergate's gate stuff is usually misogynistic in nature, most of the people bashing the game were PS4 owners themselves so negative on the console warrior, and I'm not sure why anyone would be labeled entitled, when you yourself state the game looked bad and the poor reviews were expected.

Why isn't this just a simple case of poor decision making, leading to an overall poorly made game (besides the graphics/music), which was obvious from the trailers? I don't know why there has to be some sort of conspiracy of organized hate around it. If anything it's probably good that gamers are becoming more critical of AAA games.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

echronorian posted:

New Vegas is a really great fps Western RPG. I think the list of those is pretty short but NV is at or near the top. I gave my copy to my sister and I kind of regret it but she's been enjoying it and that is cool.

Only good games are japanese games, all western games are garbage imho.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

El Hefe posted:

Only good games are japanese games, all western games are garbage imho.

Tetris.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

All the best versions of Tetris are Japanese.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Follow That Fish! posted:

I consider New Vegas a better game by a considerable margin, but I think Fallout 3 had a bigger impact. I don't know if I've ever played anything that felt as atmospheric as FO3 did at the time. generic video game quest names.

I think this ends up being a problem for Obsidian too - they arent just trying to make super ambitious sequels with a small team and a limited budget, they are trying to make those sequels to some of the most beloved games of their respective times.

The originals for NWN and KOTOR and FO3 and Dungeon Seige were all really interesting, innovative and beloved games already. Having to make a direct follow up to something like that is a much bigger challenge than taking something mediocre and making it your own or making something entirely new.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
With March a week away I am starting to believe that The Talos Principle will not make it out 1Q 2015 for the PS4. Along with Witcher 3 it was one of the few games I was truly looking forward to playing this Spring.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Pillars of Eternity is out soon. That should answer a few things about Obsidian either way.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Junkenstein posted:

Pillars of Eternity is out soon. That should answer a few things about Obsidian either way.

Yeah, I am extremely interested in how this turns out. They havent ever had a ton of control over their projects so I am curious about what they can do with something that is totally theirs. Also, they haven't announced another delay yet which surprises me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
One thing we do know is that it probably won't be bugged to uselessness. Dungeon Siege 3 ran great with zero issues and that was their own engine.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DS3 was like their least ambitious game though and Pillars of Eternity might end up being their most.

Joey Donuts
Feb 19, 2004

My code word will be: Endurance.
Has anyone successfully started the pre-load for Resident Evil Revelations 2? I can hit the download button but it pops an error right after.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Joey Donuts posted:

Has anyone successfully started the pre-load for Resident Evil Revelations 2? I can hit the download button but it pops an error right after.

No, same thing happened to me too. I guess we have to wait a few more days.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
There has been a lot of decent criticism leveled at the game which is totally fair, especially from these forums, so I'm not lumping all that criticism together. It looked like an overly short game with not a lot to justify the $60 price tag and had some anachronistic gameplay elements. All fair. Also, it looks like there's criticism that the story ended up not being that great anyway.

The parts that gave me a vibe more in line with the less savory parts of the gaming community was the over-the-top backlash against cinematic/story-focused games, which annoyed me given that Alien Isolation went that route and pulled it off extremely well, and the entitled gamer stuff really grew more out of people feeling like it was a lost opportunity and taking that to the extreme of "they should have made a game more tailored to what I personally like." I think the overall reaction to the game also just felt over-the-top given that it looked mediocre from day 1 and I wasn't sure why so many people were giving it so much attention other than, as others have pointed out, hoping for some train-wreck to gawk at.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 20, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

bloodychill posted:

There has been a lot of decent criticism leveled at the game which is totally fair, especially from these forums, so I'm not lumping all that criticism together. It looked like an overly short game with not a lot to justify the $60 price tag and had some anachronistic gameplay elements. All fair. Also, it looks like there's criticism that the story ended up not being that great anyway.

The parts that gave me a vibe more in line with the less savory parts of the gaming community was the over-the-top backlash against cinematic/story-focused games, which annoyed me given that Alien Isolation went that route and pulled it off extremely well, and the entitled gamer stuff really grew more out of people feeling like it was a lost opportunity and taking that to the extreme of "they should have made a game more tailored to what I personally like." I think the overall reaction to the game also just felt over-the-top given that it looked mediocre from day 1 and I wasn't sure why so many people were giving it so much attention other than, as others have pointed out, hoping for some train-wreck to gawk at.
I thought a lot of the praise for the new Alien game was for the dynamic nature of the alien itself. Correct me if I'm wrong, but The Order doesn't have anything dynamic in it at all, right?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sakurazuka posted:

DS3 was like their least ambitious game though and Pillars of Eternity might end up being their most.

Good call, everyone start worrying.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Samurai Sanders posted:

I thought a lot of the praise for the new Alien game was for the dynamic nature of the alien itself. Correct me if I'm wrong, but The Order doesn't have anything dynamic in it at all, right?

Since I haven't played the Order, I have no idea. There was a lot of praise for Alien taking all the best parts of the movie's atmosphere and bringing them to the game. Granted, the gameplay fed into this as well.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 20, 2015

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

bloodychill posted:

Since I haven't played it, I have no idea. There was a lot of praise for Alien pulling off all the best parts of the movie's atmosphere and bringing them to the game.

They nailed the atmosphere of the movie, yeah, but the actual plot was pretty nonexistent. It was still a gameplay-first game. I liked it a lot.

Also, reviewers actually complained that it was too long, but this is probably because they're reviewers and also because it has a bunch of "fakeout" endings, sort of like the movie.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
As far as anyone can tell each playthrough of The Order will be exactly the same and the only variation comes from whether or not you spend time hunting collectibles.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Gamefly shipped The Order to me yesterday. With luck I will have it here by lunch.

My interest is two-fold.

I wanna see the graphics and engine. I hear it's good.

Also, I want to have experienced it firsthand so whatever opinion I have on it (I have my suspicions, of course) can be from a place of confidence. Because I think this will be one of those important moments in the industry where lines are drawn in the sand by people about what constitutes a "game" or a "value".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Bass Bottles posted:

They nailed the atmosphere of the movie, yeah, but the actual plot was pretty nonexistent. It was still a gameplay-first game. I liked it a lot.

Also, reviewers actually complained that it was too long, but this is probably because they're reviewers and also because it has a bunch of "fakeout" endings, sort of like the movie.

I think it was Gaintbomb that had a great point about how the atmosphere of Alien is fine for a 2 hour movie, but it doesn't work for a whole 15 hour game.

• Locked thread