Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The trailer should be people picking their starting area and then you can skip the movie because you know how it will turn out

but the twist is that they all gang up on the guy who picked the objectively best starting location in the trailer. that guy is played by Liam Neeson

"I have a particular set of skills."*

*a 6 and an 8 wheat hex and a 2:1 wheat port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

A Catan movie will perfectly emulate the Catan experience of watching other people do stuff for an hour or so while you pretty much just sit there.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Man of all the games out there you could possibly make entertaining movies about they pick Catan.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Like Exploding Kittens!!!

<said by every marketing guy in every film studio ever right now>

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Like Exploding Kittens!!!

<said by every marketing guy in every film studio ever right now>

Bill Hicks posted:

“Does anyone here work in advertising or marketing? Well if you do, when you get home take a gun shoot yourself. No bullshit, I'm not joking just do it. I'm just sowing seeds, one day they may take root.”

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

burger time posted:

Who's gonna play the robber

Nicolas Cage

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

goodness posted:

Nicolas Cage

Not the sheep! Not the sheep, nooooo!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Moving me won't get your wood back!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Tekopo posted:

Moving me won't get your wood back!

(Said in "The Fugitive" voice)

I don't care.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
The mention of Tash Kalar last page got me wondering, is it far too late to get the upgrade kit? I missed the chance when it was released and now really don't want to double dip on the base game. I see plenty copies of the Everfrost deck around but I wouldn't mind that new board. I'm in the UK if that helps.

vvvv good lord it'd be cheaper to buy it again.

Single Tight Female fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 20, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Single Tight Female posted:

The mention of Tash Kalar last page got me wondering, is it far too late to get the upgrade kit? I missed the chance when it was released and now really don't want to double dip on the base game. I see plenty copies of the Everfrost deck around but I wouldn't mind that new board. I'm in the UK if that helps.

Not sure about UK retailers, but it's available in the US: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/211787

My question is: Is it worth picking up?

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Did someone in here mention there being a Glory to Rome Black Box print and play edition? I thought I saw mention that the creator of the game put files up online but I can't fine them or that post. Maybe I was dreaming.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

There are images of the proofs of every card for the Black Box edition on BGG, so presumably one could hack together a version for printerstudio or their own printer from that. I'll dig it up in a bit

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

GrandpaPants posted:

Not sure about UK retailers, but it's available in the US: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/211787

I got mine last week and punched it all out last night. The art and design are for the most part a clear improvement, but I don't think it's so amazing that you have to get it. It was worth $7 to me to pick it up with the Everfrost deck.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Rules question. King of New York

So if you are eliminated, do the KEEP cards you have go into the discard pile? The scavenger card makes this important.

On a happier note, I got the "painbow" card that lets you win the game if you get all buildings, I was telling my wife that it has to be next to impossible to

1. have the card
2. yahtzee 6 dice on a particular face

The very next turn I rolled 4 buildings, and rerolled the last 2 dice. Both buildings.

Dont know what the odds are, but I rolled it naturally. Really like this game, my 4 year old plays and wins a far amount, just needs the cards out to buy explained to her.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

PubicMice posted:

I'm looking for a good solo game that's small and short, but with more strategy than randomness. I've narrowed the ones I'm looking at down to Space Hulk: Death Angel or Onirim, can anyone recommend any others/dissuade me from buying either?

Both of them are pretty random, I have gotten my money out of Onirim far more than SH:DA but that is also because Onirim travels well. Onirim has more risk tacking than strategy, you have to make some plans based on what you think is left in the deck but a few bad draws could tank you. SH:DA is very random. Each room and encounter is random and everything is resolved by dice.

If you want something that has a pretty good strategy level, is still variable, and well made then look at Friday by Friese.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

The card redesigns are nice, but the noticeably thicker cardboard for the tokens and board were definitely worth it to me.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Both of them are pretty random, I have gotten my money out of Onirim far more than SH:DA but that is also because Onirim travels well. Onirim has more risk tacking than strategy, you have to make some plans based on what you think is left in the deck but a few bad draws could tank you. SH:DA is very random. Each room and encounter is random and everything is resolved by dice.

If you want something that has a pretty good strategy level, is still variable, and well made then look at Friday by Friese.

Counterpoint: I picked up Friday recently and am basically done with it after 5 plays. If you have any deckbuilding experience you will 'solve' it in like 2 plays and after that it's just minor optimisations, I beat the hardest difficulty on my third go and from there really the only thing you can do is replay it trying to lose less life each time. Technically there's other ways to increase your score but they're trivial to max out. The game comes with several final boss cards which are supposed to add replay value but don't really end up mattering, if you made it to the final fights you almost certainly have enough damage to defeat the ships regardless of what they are.

I'm just guessing here but I think the game would have been better if there were no cards with immediate 'trash a card' abilities. The most interesting mechanics in the game are paying life to trash things (and having to lose a fight to do so) and gaining 'bad' cards that you really want to trash, but it's easy to negate both of these after your 2nd or third reshuffle and it makes the game feel pretty dreary.

Onirim is IMO more interesting, more varied (though that's partly because the second edition comes with so many mini expansions to pick and mix) and doesn't use as much table space. It also plays two players pretty nicely.

Single Tight Female posted:

vvvv good lord it'd be cheaper to buy it again.

Email CGE, they'll tell you which store to contact in your region. It turns out only two stores in the whole of Australia are ordering the upgrade pack.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 20, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Deviant posted:

(Said in "The Fugitive" voice)

I don't care.

CHILDREN ARE RUNNING. "He's here! The man in black is here!"
A MAN RUNS INTO A BARN. A WOMAN IS CRYING. "He took all the lumber!"
BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH STANDS DRAMATICALLY ATOP A SAND DUNE, BLACK CLOAK BILLOWING IN THE WIND. "7 is no longer your lucky number."
CUT TO BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH RUNNING THROUGH A FOREST. "No city of man can elude my curse!"
DRAMATIC MUSIC. FAST CUTS. HOLD ON JEFF GOLDBLUM IN A DIMLY-LIT ROOM AT A TABLE. "I have a plan."
INCEPTION HORN. FLYOVER: A PORT WITH SHEEP BEING LOADED ONTO SHIPS. GOLDBLUM VOICEOVER: "This is our only chance at survival."
INCEPTION HORN. FLYOVER: AN OPEN FIELD, HERDS OF SHEEP RUNNING. GOLDBLUM VOICEOVER: "The lives of the settlers depend on it."
DIMLY LIT ROOM. ZAK GALAFINAKIS IS ACROSS THE TABLE. GALAFINAKIS: "You looking to trade?"
GOLDBLUM: "I have wood for sheep."

SUMMER 2016
#SettleUpForVictory

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I have questions, questions about games.

Tash-Kalar. All the talk about the upgrade pack implies that there's a first and second edition of Tash-Kalar to be had, but the links I've found have been vague as to which copy it is that vendors are offering. Is there a second edition out? And if so what should I be looking for, does it have a big "Second Edition" on the cover or am I looking for a certain serial number or what? I'm probably going to have to order this myself if I get it since the LGS doesn't have any copies in stock and the owner hasn't heard of it before.

Next, BattleCON. This has come up before in discussions of 1v1 two-player games and it seems to have a fairly decent following here judging by the regular PbPs. First, as someone who's never been super into the fighting game scene and can't guarantee that anyone I would hypothetically play it with is into it either, would it still be worth playing in spite of that?

Second, assuming I were to give it a try what the gently caress should I get started with? Level 99's site doesn't seem to have any sort of "I'm completely new to this and also maybe dumb, what do I buy first?" section and there's like three big sets, a bunch of expansion looking things, and something that bills itself as an introductory set but has a release date of "Coming Soon." Should I wait for that then? I'm not so strapped for cash that I can't indulge myself with a $50-75 purchase now and again but I'd like to know a bit more about what I'm getting into before I do so. Can someone give me the score?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kai Tave posted:

I have questions, questions about games.

Tash-Kalar. All the talk about the upgrade pack implies that there's a first and second edition of Tash-Kalar to be had, but the links I've found have been vague as to which copy it is that vendors are offering. Is there a second edition out? And if so what should I be looking for, does it have a big "Second Edition" on the cover or am I looking for a certain serial number or what? I'm probably going to have to order this myself if I get it since the LGS doesn't have any copies in stock and the owner hasn't heard of it before.

Next, BattleCON. This has come up before in discussions of 1v1 two-player games and it seems to have a fairly decent following here judging by the regular PbPs. First, as someone who's never been super into the fighting game scene and can't guarantee that anyone I would hypothetically play it with is into it either, would it still be worth playing in spite of that?

Second, assuming I were to give it a try what the gently caress should I get started with? Level 99's site doesn't seem to have any sort of "I'm completely new to this and also maybe dumb, what do I buy first?" section and there's like three big sets, a bunch of expansion looking things, and something that bills itself as an introductory set but has a release date of "Coming Soon." Should I wait for that then? I'm not so strapped for cash that I can't indulge myself with a $50-75 purchase now and again but I'd like to know a bit more about what I'm getting into before I do so. Can someone give me the score?

Tash Kalar: They changed publishers. New publisher (CGE) doesn't suck like the old publisher (Z-Man), so the game has better components and is cheaper. Z-Man continues to suck.

BattleCON: Devastation of Indines is the big buy, but if you want to wait a while, they're going to come out with a more entry level version called Fate of Indines. Fewer fighters obviously, but it is theoretically cheaper. Most people here just have Devastation. War of Indines is getting a new edition with production levels comparable to Devastation, released at the same time as Fate. The old version has really, really lovely art. Like almost as bad as Sentinels of the Multiverse bad. I think some fighters also got tweaks in the new edition.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So if I get the CGE version of Tash-Kalar then I don't need that upgrade pack? Okay, that's the version I've been seeing for sale so if that's the case it makes my job easier.

Re: BattleCON, it sounds like my best bet is to wait for Fate then, I'm assuming that the fighters in that set aren't redundant with any of the others (sort of like how Summoner Wars does it I think), and then go with Devastation if that turns out to be a good pick.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Should I wait for that then? I'm not so strapped for cash that I can't indulge myself with a $50-75 purchase now and again but I'd like to know a bit more about what I'm getting into before I do so. Can someone give me the score?

BattleCON works fine and I know lots of people here like it, but I'd hesitate a bit depending on your group. If you approach BattleCON like most games - someone reads the rules, then you sit down, grab a dude out of the pile, and try fighting... you end up with kind of a random mess, at least to start. Until you have some sense of how the characters work and how things play out, it feels kind of baffling/arbitrary to play. Personally, I couldn't find a satisfying middle ground between "thinking out every possible thing they could do" and "just grabbing some cards to play" - though I'm sure with more play I would have got a better feel for what stuff to expect and how to deal with it.

Everyone who played figured it could be promising, but in the end nobody really got further than that, and we ended up getting rid of it pretty quickly. Again, this is not to say it's a bad game. We had kind of the same problem with both the Lord of the Rings LCG and Netrunner (both of which are favorite games for lots of other people). There's just some startup costs involved in getting into these games, and if nobody is enthusiastic/committed from the start, they can end up gathering dust pretty quick.

Anyway, you probably have a sense of which kind of group you have - I'm just throwing some thoughts out there.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'd say "people who don't actually play fighting games" is actually BattleCON's intended audience, I really haven't seen any notable crossover between the two. If a lack of familiarity with the theme is what's holding you back, don't let it.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Kai Tave posted:

So if I get the CGE version of Tash-Kalar then I don't need that upgrade pack? Okay, that's the version I've been seeing for sale so if that's the case it makes my job easier.

Do note that CGE's logo is on both editions (since they're the original publisher), you have to make sure the box doesn't have a Z-Man logo. If it has a Z-Man logo on the cover, it's a first printing. If it only has a CGE logo, you're golden.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

jmzero posted:

BattleCON works fine and I know lots of people here like it, but I'd hesitate a bit depending on your group. If you approach BattleCON like most games - someone reads the rules, then you sit down, grab a dude out of the pile, and try fighting... you end up with kind of a random mess, at least to start. Until you have some sense of how the characters work and how things play out, it feels kind of baffling/arbitrary to play. Personally, I couldn't find a satisfying middle ground between "thinking out every possible thing they could do" and "just grabbing some cards to play" - though I'm sure with more play I would have got a better feel for what stuff to expect and how to deal with it.

Everyone who played figured it could be promising, but in the end nobody really got further than that, and we ended up getting rid of it pretty quickly. Again, this is not to say it's a bad game. We had kind of the same problem with both the Lord of the Rings LCG and Netrunner (both of which are favorite games for lots of other people). There's just some startup costs involved in getting into these games, and if nobody is enthusiastic/committed from the start, they can end up gathering dust pretty quick.

Anyway, you probably have a sense of which kind of group you have - I'm just throwing some thoughts out there.

Pff, man my "group" is a bunch of random yahoos at the game store 20 minutes from where I live, the best sense I have of them so far is which specific ones are the designated catpiss dudes to avoid if possible, otherwise I'm flying blind. That said everybody seems willing to try new stuff and we've played everything from Dixit to Kemet to Ultimate Werewolf to Takenoko, I can say with some certainty that at least nobody there is so stuck in their ways that they won't give something new a shot.

So what I'm getting from your breakdown is that BattleCON might not be great for analysis paralysis types and benefits from players who are maybe a bit more...dedicated? Focused? Enthusiastic is probably the better term for it, and that is something I've sort of picked up from my game night sojourns is that while everybody who shows up seems to have a good time I get the distinct impression that they maybe aren't quite as enthusiastic in that "oh man, new board game, get hype" sense. Maybe the Warhammer players might be but, well, they have Warhammer (and are welcome to it). So if it's not quite right for a more casual sort of environment I might hold back.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Battlecon has a few PnP fighters. If you cn't find them online I'll dig them out of my email somewhere.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's not really enthusiasm, dedication is probably right. Yomi is the same way; Both games feel highly random if you don't know what you're doing, and will continue to be random if you aren't making a conscious effort to improve. BattleCON reaches that level of "light" mastery sooner thanks to the less abstract movement system, but it's still there. It's not really frustrating, per se, just really unsatisfying - If the point of the game is to predict your opponent, well, that becomes pretty meaningless when you're both basically top-decking (or just doing the most obvious/intuitive play every turn). And if you're spending time learning your characters (like by, say, reading PBPs) and your friends aren't, that's going to make it really weird where they're still playing pretty randomly while you have a gameplan. BattleCON also has a similar issue to Sentinels of the Multiverse, where the actual rules are incredibly simple, printed on the board itself even, but nearly every character past Flight 1 has a sizeable amount of text on each card and specific rules, tokens, and other bits to learn. It's not a huge deal if you and your friends have "mains," but a big selling point of BattleCON is the sheer character variety which sorta evokes switching around a lot.

It can be a strong game if you have the right environment for it, but it can also end up collecting dust after two unsatisfying games just as easily.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'll probably hold off then. It sounds a bit like a game I'd want to cultivate a group for, not just add to the rotation at open game night. I dunno, maybe I should rustle up some online resources and try a PbP or two, see what it's like.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
To carry on tash-Kalar chat, what are peoples general opinions on the everfrost school? It's far and away my favourite to the point where I feel it's a bit overpowered, frozen effects are almost like 3 action turns in a lot of cases. I'm undefeated over about 15 games with them but other people I play with don't seem to duplicate that success so I don't know if it's actually broken or it just fits my strengths

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Broken Loose posted:

CHILDREN ARE RUNNING. "He's here! The man in black is here!"
A MAN RUNS INTO A BARN. A WOMAN IS CRYING. "He took all the lumber!"
BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH STANDS DRAMATICALLY ATOP A SAND DUNE, BLACK CLOAK BILLOWING IN THE WIND. "7 is no longer your lucky number."
CUT TO BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH RUNNING THROUGH A FOREST. "No city of man can elude my curse!"
DRAMATIC MUSIC. FAST CUTS. HOLD ON JEFF GOLDBLUM IN A DIMLY-LIT ROOM AT A TABLE. "I have a plan."
INCEPTION HORN. FLYOVER: A PORT WITH SHEEP BEING LOADED ONTO SHIPS. GOLDBLUM VOICEOVER: "This is our only chance at survival."
INCEPTION HORN. FLYOVER: AN OPEN FIELD, HERDS OF SHEEP RUNNING. GOLDBLUM VOICEOVER: "The lives of the settlers depend on it."
DIMLY LIT ROOM. ZAK GALAFINAKIS IS ACROSS THE TABLE. GALAFINAKIS: "You looking to trade?"
GOLDBLUM: "I have wood for sheep."

SUMMER 2016
#SettleUpForVictory

:vince:

I was having a lovely day until I read that, thankyou.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Here's a preview video for 7 Wonders: Duel

Looking forward to this; I love 7 Wonders and a 2 player version sounds amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIm69rrrGZk

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Any opinions on Warriors and Traders? It looks and sounds interesting and I can get a new copy for around 40 bucks.

So is it any good?

I like strategy games with very few luck factors and no hidden information. So should I get it?

And I read that the game has a co-op mode. How does it play?

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 20, 2015

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Bubble-T posted:

Email CGE, they'll tell you which store to contact in your region. It turns out only two stores in the whole of Australia are ordering the upgrade pack.

Well this is handy to know, but annoying to follow through on. Apparently no UK retailers are interested in it and therefore haven't ordered it. CGE suggested I buy from a US shop instead.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I'll probably hold off then. It sounds a bit like a game I'd want to cultivate a group for, not just add to the rotation at open game night. I dunno, maybe I should rustle up some online resources and try a PbP or two, see what it's like.

You could grab the print 'n play demo and try it out. But I agree it's a game you want multiple people to get invested in, not just throw out at random on game night.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I managed to get it from board game guru back in November.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Rumda posted:

I managed to get it from board game guru back in November.

Me too, my expansion order included the base game upgrade.

I've not actually heard any thoughts on the new deck. I found it had some nice cards but because the effects were more situational, it felt a lot weaker.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I liked the frozen effects: they allow you to do unexpected stuff since your opponent isn't sure when you are going to use them. You can set up some pretty cool combos, especially since there are cards that allow you to use a frozen effect you have previously used.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So, whats the goonsensus on Argent? The idea of having each of your workers have special abilities in a worker placement game seems really nice, and the artwork and component quality seems very good. Does it play well? Does the hidden victory point condition make the game to random, or is the deduction element well placed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

jivjov posted:

Here's a preview video for 7 Wonders: Duel

Looking forward to this; I love 7 Wonders and a 2 player version sounds amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIm69rrrGZk

After Babel I'm a bit more sceptic but this seems like they really revamped the game to make it work for 2 people. The different paths to victory are nice since they won't be to overwhelming in a 2 player game.