Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
As for dealerships being crap: When I first got the new Freightliner, the front left brakes squealed all the time. At 15k miles we brought it in, saying "The brakes are squealing, this is a brand new truck, it should not do that." The excuse they gave was "It's your fault, you must have cooked them going down a mountain and glazed the brake pads, tough luck." New truck, no mountains. Right after the 50k service, the HVAC didn't work and we had to bring it back in the next week. Then at 97k miles the hub seal started to go on that left front wheel, causing the wheel to jerk to the right under braking. FUN. By the time we got back to the shop the truck had 101k miles and was no longer under warranty. With the new hub and bearings, there was no squealing. That hub was poo poo from the factory but limped just long enough to be out of warranty.

And when they fixed the hub they hosed up something else so now the computer was throwing crazy codes that hosed up the automagic transmission so we had to go with sequential action for the rest of the week and take it back to the shop. Every visit turns into two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

What kind of loving fancy-rear end sealed beams are you seeing for $150?! You can get H4 conversion housings for less than that.

LEDs.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

As for dealerships being crap: When I first got the new Freightliner, the front left brakes squealed all the time. At 15k miles we brought it in, saying "The brakes are squealing, this is a brand new truck, it should not do that." The excuse they gave was "It's your fault, you must have cooked them going down a mountain and glazed the brake pads, tough luck." New truck, no mountains. Right after the 50k service, the HVAC didn't work and we had to bring it back in the next week. Then at 97k miles the hub seal started to go on that left front wheel, causing the wheel to jerk to the right under braking. FUN. By the time we got back to the shop the truck had 101k miles and was no longer under warranty. With the new hub and bearings, there was no squealing. That hub was poo poo from the factory but limped just long enough to be out of warranty.

And when they fixed the hub they hosed up something else so now the computer was throwing crazy codes that hosed up the automagic transmission so we had to go with sequential action for the rest of the week and take it back to the shop. Every visit turns into two.

Daimler AG might be bankrolling the operation but Freightshaker just cant loose the Chrysler quality.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Oh. Well ok then.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It boggles my mind that they actually charged to top off the washer fluid. At the quicklube I worked at, customers were allowed to come back any time in the next 3 months for free topoffs on any fluid we had filled, which meant tires, auto trans, diffs, tcase, tranny, oil, coolant, and washer fluid, plus a re-lube on every zerk the bottomside tech could find on the chassis. No brake or clutch fluid, DOT3 was too much of a liability for us to be messing with and so were brake systems.

What "any time in 3 months" actually meant was "if we're busy we'll bother to check if you have our barcode on the inner edge of the fender* before topping everything off, unless you're nice to us and/or hot in which case it doesn't matter" and "if we aren't busy we're checking everything and topping everything off regardless."

In particular I remember one poor bastard with an early 90s 4cyl Corolla who came in with a really, really sick sounding engine. When changing the oil I noted a large wad of aluminum foil on the block next to the filter, and moved it, only to realize I was looking at the crankshaft and part of one of the rods. I told him he needed a new engine, he laughed and said yeah I know, it just has to make it a little while longer till I get paid. Put the foil back, made sure to remind him he could get free topoffs anytime he needed...

... yeah he came back basically every day for a couple quarts of oil. Apparently he didn't work very far from home, or have to go on the highway. Whatever, we earned a happy customer for life on that one, I topped it off every time.

* all that really meant (without scanning it into the computer) was that the car had been to our chain sometime in the past decade or so.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Crotch Fruit posted:

Daimler AG might be bankrolling the operation but Freightshaker just cant loose the Chrysler quality.

They were poo poo (and part of Daimler) long before Chryco ever entered the family.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

In particular I remember one poor bastard with an early 90s 4cyl Corolla who came in with a really, really sick sounding engine. When changing the oil I noted a large wad of aluminum foil on the block next to the filter, and moved it, only to realize I was looking at the crankshaft and part of one of the rods. I told him he needed a new engine, he laughed and said yeah I know, it just has to make it a little while longer till I get paid. Put the foil back, made sure to remind him he could get free topoffs anytime he needed...

... yeah he came back basically every day for a couple quarts of oil. Apparently he didn't work very far from home, or have to go on the highway. Whatever, we earned a happy customer for life on that one, I topped it off every time.

:stare: that's :black101: as gently caress :haw:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

What kind of loving fancy-rear end sealed beams are you seeing for $150?! You can get H4 conversion housings for less than that.

http://www.amazon.com/GE-NIGHTHAWK-...e+nighthawk+led

Sylvania also makes some way cheaper ones (in price and quality):

http://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-Round-L6024-Street-Headlight/dp/B00OYR8MVO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1424273889&sr=8-4&keywords=sylvania+zevo

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

You know, now that you posted those, I vaguely remember reading something about them a while back. I'd like to try them, but that's a lot of scratch for headlights. Hopefully they'll come down in a few years.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

You know, now that you posted those, I vaguely remember reading something about them a while back. I'd like to try them, but that's a lot of scratch for headlights. Hopefully they'll come down in a few years.

I'm in the same boat except rocks chew up my sealed beams at such an alarming rate during the winter that they would pretty much need to be under $60 for me to consider this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They just got nailed in a lawsuit over their headlight claims, so I'd stick with Phillips.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm in the same boat except rocks chew up my sealed beams at such an alarming rate during the winter that they would pretty much need to be under $60 for me to consider this.

Do you drove anything you could put a plastic or mesh cover over the lights of?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Cakefool posted:

Do you drove anything you could put a plastic or mesh cover over the lights of?

I'm sure something out there exists for it. I haven't really looked for one though. Im too lazy though and the current solution of keeping an extra set of lights in the back of my car works fine at the moment.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's not just car dealers. When I took my Yamaha motorcycle in for its first service at 600mi, they forgot to turn the fuel valve back to on and let me ride off. Made it about halfway home before the fuel in the lines was consumed. I paid $400 to make sure all the bolts are tight and they can't even pay enough attention to make sure it can get all the way home?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Peterson Lighting also has a 7" version (the 701C) which retails for $226.35 CAD from RockAuto. It's almost the same cost as the Sylvania, except it doesn't suck, and they use Miatas in their advertising (see attached video).

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4921434&jnid=37&jpid=0

Wish I had $500 kicking around for me to throw at Miata headlights. I wonder how you aim them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe if I lived out in BFE it would be a worthwhile investment, otherwise it's a waste of money.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

clutchpuck posted:

It's not just car dealers. When I took my Yamaha motorcycle in for its first service at 600mi, they forgot to turn the fuel valve back to on and let me ride off. Made it about halfway home before the fuel in the lines was consumed. I paid $400 to make sure all the bolts are tight and they can't even pay enough attention to make sure it can get all the way home?

Aren't you supposed to turn the fuel valve off when you park the bike and back on when you get back on? not that I ever did

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Some bikes have a fuel valve on the tank that is not accessible unless a body panel is removed / tank lifted. Its not a on/off/res fuel tap though, you get a fuel level sender and an idiot light / bar gauge on the dash. Usually coupled with a vacuum cutoff to avoid filling the engine when not running / fuel pouring out in the event of a crash.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Good god that's expensive. They make a set that will fit my truck...and cost 50% of what I paid for the truck. :gonk:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Parts Kit posted:

Good god that's expensive. They make a set that will fit my truck...and cost 50% of what I paid for the truck. :gonk:

Yup. I would love a set for the Celica but not at 1/3 what I paid for the car.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

leica posted:

Maybe if I lived out in BFE it would be a worthwhile investment, otherwise it's a waste of money.

I travel through BFE and a set of 30 dollar horror freight truck lights works a lot cheaper for not hitting dear than expensive rear end lights.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

DefaultPeanut posted:

Some bikes have a fuel valve on the tank that is not accessible unless a body panel is removed / tank lifted. Its not a on/off/res fuel tap though, you get a fuel level sender and an idiot light / bar gauge on the dash. Usually coupled with a vacuum cutoff to avoid filling the engine when not running / fuel pouring out in the event of a crash.

Yeah I had to take one of the doodads off the side of the engine to reach up under the tank to turn the fuel on. Only supposed to be used during service.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

So, I popped under the hood of my wife's 07 Prius to do oil change/air filter/whatever needed doing.

Noticed the coolant was low. Its at 75k now, but I took it in to Toyota when I bought it at 60k (and when I was far more naive) for a quick check-up, fluids, etc.

Took off the shroud, reservoir was empty.

So, I climbed underneath, checked the water pumps, all coolant hose connections, hoses were all still pliable. No obvious leaks.

Wen up top to check the level in the radiator proper--and the cap was canted at a 45* angle like they didn't turn it the full 180, with crust all around and underneath the cap. :argh:

Can only just see coolant at the bottom of the neck, so I think it's mechanically ok but....

God drat it. It hasn't overheated, and there's probably like 1/4" of coolant in the reservoir. I don't think it's caused any problems.

JUST TURN THE CAP ANOTHER QUARTER TURN YOU LAZY FUCKWADS.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

When one of my buddies was a Ford tech I used to hear all kinds of cool stories, like the time the rookie grease monkey forgot to fill the brand new F150 full of oil after he drained it for it's first oil change, and brand new cars/trucks falling off lifts. He would always tell me DO NOT take your car to a dealer because 75% of the techs are idiots.

I helped him put a SBC in an old CJ Wrangler during his down time at the dealer and it was without a doubt the scariest vehicle I have ever ridden in.

sirnollem
Apr 12, 2008
Not a dealer but one of my oil change techs "stole" a car one time. Our shop had a rental counter in the shop and we did the maintenance. He pulls a work order for oil change on red Saturn Vue, reads as far as Saturn goes to the lot and jumps in the black Saturn L300 keys worked in the door and the ignition. He pulled it in and started the oil change. About ten minutes latter a lady comes into the shop to the counter and asks the counter guys to call the cops someone stole her car. They asked for description so they could tell the cops and she says "black Saturn". There response was we just saw one pull in, the lady lost her mind and started screaming and called the cops herself demanding the tech be arrested. Cruiser pulls up and we show them the keys for the Vue start her car and explain the situation. Cops' response was "lady calm down you got a free oil change out of it" and they left.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Keys have a large amount of overlap, there are only so many combinations that you can actually carve, and many more vehicles are made with that key slot design. New key designs have more combinations, but you'll still see key overlap. I wouldn't be surprised if they hosed up and the keyspace for the remote fobs is a bit small, too. You don't have the physical limitations of a pattern etched into metal that has to take wear into account, but crypto is not an easy concept to wrap your brain around, apparently.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

sirnollem posted:

Not a dealer but one of my oil change techs "stole" a car one time. Our shop had a rental counter in the shop and we did the maintenance. He pulls a work order for oil change on red Saturn Vue, reads as far as Saturn goes to the lot and jumps in the black Saturn L300 keys worked in the door and the ignition. He pulled it in and started the oil change. About ten minutes latter a lady comes into the shop to the counter and asks the counter guys to call the cops someone stole her car. They asked for description so they could tell the cops and she says "black Saturn". There response was we just saw one pull in, the lady lost her mind and started screaming and called the cops herself demanding the tech be arrested. Cruiser pulls up and we show them the keys for the Vue start her car and explain the situation. Cops' response was "lady calm down you got a free oil change out of it" and they left.

When I got new tires a couple of months ago, the tire jockey walked in and called out "See Ann in the Scion" in the waiting room. Several times. I finally look outside and see my car (my name is Sean, but pronounced like Shawn, Shaun, etc). I walked up to him and said "You mean Sean in the Saturn?". He said no, See Ann in the Scion. I pointed at the car, asked "that car?". Yes. "Go read the logo on the bumper".

Then he said "but you're not See Ann, you said Shawn". I told him "you've heard of Sean Connery, right? How does he spell his name?" You could see the gears in his brain just grinding to a halt, and he said he needed to see my ID before he could release the Sci..Saturn to me. He commented it was a weird way to spell Shawn. :downsgun:

rear end in a top hat hosed up one of my wheels too, it was scratched to poo poo around the lug nut openings, with the openings ovaled out. :argh:

tl;dr idiots are everywhere

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

some texas redneck posted:

When I got new tires a couple of months ago, the tire jockey walked in and called out "See Ann in the Scion" in the waiting room. Several times. I finally look outside and see my car (my name is Sean, but pronounced like Shawn, Shaun, etc). I walked up to him and said "You mean Sean in the Saturn?". He said no, See Ann in the Scion. I pointed at the car, asked "that car?". Yes. "Go read the logo on the bumper".

Then he said "but you're not See Ann, you said Shawn". I told him "you've heard of Sean Connery, right? How does he spell his name?" You could see the gears in his brain just grinding to a halt, and he said he needed to see my ID before he could release the Sci..Saturn to me. He commented it was a weird way to spell Shawn. :downsgun:

rear end in a top hat hosed up one of my wheels too, it was scratched to poo poo around the lug nut openings, with the openings ovaled out. :argh:

tl;dr idiots are everywhere

quote:

On September 26th, 1992 Nicolas Cage hosted Saturday Night Live. In one sketch Nicolas Cage and actress Julia Sweeney act out parts as soon to be parents deciding on a name for their child. After many of the suggestions by the wife the husband continues to decline most of the names she is coming up with on the grounds that the child would be made fun of because of that particular name. As the husband continues to be more defensive about his own past as being made fun of and continues to dislike the names suggested, a telegram is delivered by an agent played by Rob Schneider. The agent tells them that the telegram is for a person named “Asswipe Johnson”. The husband immediately tries to correct him by informing him that his name is pronounced: “Os-wee-pay”. It is at this time you realize the motivation behind the husband’s scrutiny. This term is often used in a comical way in substitution for a person of which you forgot their name. Basically a synonym for John Doe. The term can be used as “Asswipe Johnson”, or “Osweepay Johnson”.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMe3WDmxBEI

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
My favorite dealership service story:

Subaru issued a recall for a leak in the injection system causing a gas smell when the car was at idle after getting up to operating temperature. My car got the smell pretty bad, so I was very thankful they did the recall. While performing the recall, they manage to break one my emissions sensors that was directly above the recall fix area. I don't notice this until my car throws a CEL. Unfortunately for me, I had driven the car 5 hours back to college by then. I contacted them immediately, and they said not to worry about it, just bring it in when I'm back in town from school and they would check it and replace it. About two months later, I bring the car to get checked by the dealer. After dropping the car off and waiting three days to hear back from the dealership, they tell me to come pick up my car. I go to pick up the car, and holy poo poo is the service writer being an rear end in a top hat.

"Listen sir, we cleared the emssions codes for you, but if you want us to fix your emissions system it will require a minimum of 2 hours labor for diagnosis, plus any further cost for parts and labor."
"Even though one of your associates told me it was a pretty cut and dry situation of a tech breaking one of my sensors while performing the recall?"
"We have no way of knowing if it was a technician or if it broke in some other way."
"well thanks for pulling my battery cable on and off in the course of three days."

Bought sensor online, replaced myself in an hour, CEL went away.

Ardemia fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 23, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

DefaultPeanut posted:

Yeah this. Turning the valve to off is usually reserved for old as poo poo bikes like mine that will happily fill the carbs and cylinders with gas while parked for extended periods.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

Tommychu posted:

They were poo poo (and part of Daimler) long before Chryco ever entered the family.
Thank you. :golfclap:

I am sick to poo poo that everyone gives Chrysler/Dodge/Ram so much grief for quality when they're no worse overall than other manufacturers. Do their products show signs of bean-counting in obvious places? Sure, but so do other makes. It embarrasses me that alleged car guys parrot the same poo poo constantly without regard to context. Reminds me of reading a Consumer Reports blurb.

Did the torqueflite transmission with electronic solenoid controls suck? Sure did, especially if you fail at preventative maintenance. But you know what? GM's 4L30E sucked as bad, or worse, and don't get me started on Dexcool. And what about Ford's generation of garbage Powerstroke diesels? Don't forget the garbage 1st and 2nd gen transmissions in Tauruses held together by fairy farts and dreams.

So yeah, gently caress the blind, unthinking Chrysler haters who continue to spout the same thing repeatedly because it's the cool thing to do.

Francis Baconator fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 21, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Francis Baconator posted:

Don't forget the garbage 1st and 2nd gen transmissions in Tauruses held together by fairy farts and dreams.
...And third. Ask me how I know. :negative:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Francis Baconator posted:

Thank you. :golfclap:

I am sick to poo poo that everyone gives Chrysler/Dodge/Ram so much grief for quality when they're no worse overall than other manufacturers. Do their products show signs of bean-counting in obvious places? Sure, but so do other makes. It embarrasses me that alleged car guys parrot the same poo poo constantly without regard to context. Reminds me of reading a Consumer Reports blurb.

Did the torqueflite transmission with electronic solenoid controls suck? Sure did, especially if you fail at preventative maintenance. But you know what? GM's 4L30E sucked as bad, or worse, and don't get me started on Dexcool. And what about Ford's generation of garbage Powerstroke diesels? Don't forget the garbage 1st and 2nd gen transmissions in Tauruses held together by fairy farts and dreams.

So yeah, gently caress the blind, unthinking Chrysler haters who continue to spout the same thing repeatedly because it's the cool thing to do.

Neon.
PT Cruiser.
Sebring.
Stratus.

It would probably be easier to list the Chrysler products in the last 15 years that weren't pieces of poo poo.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Come on now...I refuse to believe a full sized RWD car with a 5.7 v8 is all THAT bad...is the 300 really poo poo?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The Stratus with the 2.7l is easily one of the the most miserable cars ever made.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

8ender posted:

The Stratus with the 2.7l is easily one of the the most miserable cars ever made.
The 2.7 was indeed poo poo.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Godholio posted:

Neon.
PT Cruiser.
Sebring.
Stratus.

It would probably be easier to list the Chrysler products in the last 15 years that weren't pieces of poo poo.

Is what makes them bad that they're objectively terrible, or is Chrysler just building for the cars-as-appliances crowd and that puts auto enthusiasts off?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I've worked as a service writer at a Buick/GMC dealership for 3 years. Feel free to ask any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Godholio posted:

PT Cruiser.

A PT Cruiser driver is the personification of bad decisions.

I remember this woman I worked with got a 30k settlement from work (late 50s, no retirement) and blew it on down payments for two AQUA PT Cruiser for herself and her husband.

I almost died.

• Locked thread