Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

berryjon posted:

I'm trying to record Homeworld 2 using Hypercam

Any specific reason why you're using Hypercam out of all screen capture softwares available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Nice and easy. Also cheap.

I tried with VirtualDub, and got the exact same issue. Black screen, perfect audio.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Hello everyone! I'm working on the next update for my Dragon Warrior LP, and this time, I'm thinking I'll do a gimmick for it. I'll record a Youtube video of it instead of doing it with screenshots like I've been doing. And in this video, I'd like to display some footage from the SNES version of it alongside some footage of the NES version (with the NES version being smaller), kind of like this picture here...

From HCBailly's DQ5 LP (and no, his LP is not blurry like this pic is). Unfortunately, I don't have Sony Vegas like HC did when he did this, so, I'm wondering, is there any way I could do this with free software? In any case, thanks for your time!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Avisynth and MeGUI will do that for you for free. You can resize and stack videos in Avisynth. Something like the picture would be an AddBorders to the smaller video to make it the same height as the larger video, then a StackHorizontal to put them together in one frame.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Hi! A club I'm in is doing a gaming marathon for extra life as part of our school's emphasis on Charity this year, and we would like to stream the whole process. I am pretty well-versed on the software side of things, but I have no idea what I would need on the hardware side. Basically, I need to capture SD video on my laptop from the consoles (wii, PS3 and 360 at different points) while simultaneously feeding the video stream to a projector so that the people who are playing don't have to stare at my relatively tiny laptop screen. What would be the simplest way to do this, and what sort of capture device would I need to accomplish it?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Hi! A club I'm in is doing a gaming marathon for extra life as part of our school's emphasis on Charity this year, and we would like to stream the whole process. I am pretty well-versed on the software side of things, but I have no idea what I would need on the hardware side. Basically, I need to capture SD video on my laptop from the consoles (wii, PS3 and 360 at different points) while simultaneously feeding the video stream to a projector so that the people who are playing don't have to stare at my relatively tiny laptop screen. What would be the simplest way to do this, and what sort of capture device would I need to accomplish it?

You're going to want a capture device like this one and three RCA splitter cables. The output of the game console goes into one splitter each, each cable then going into the capture device. The other end of the splitter goes out to your projector.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Can't the laptop just send a feed to the projector?

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.

frozentreasure posted:

Can't the laptop just send a feed to the projector?

Then you get delay from the capture device. If I read the question right, they want to play on the projector, and stream with the laptop.
So either you need to split the video signal before it gets into the capture device, or get a capture device with no latency passthrough.
The right choice of device probably depends on input options on the projector I'd think, but that's not something I've ever set up.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Looking for a quality check on a video. I'm recording from the PS2 with component cables, but the game (Psychonauts) is SD-only, so I get a rather strange aspect ratio. The recorded video is in 720x480, with about 40 pixels of black on each side. (As far as I can tell, it's actually 41 on the left and 39 on the right, so I have to convert to RGB to crop it and then back to YV12 to encode.) Then there are 16 pixels of black bars top and bottom, for a final actual image resolution of 640x448. What I've done is crop to that and bilinear resize up to 640x480, and to my eyes, it all looks fine - the text is readable, and nothing appears stretched out of shape. But sharper eyes than mine have found problems in videos I thought looked good, so here's my proposed first video, and if anyone spots anything in it or has used a similar setup before and can provide any insight, I'd be grateful for it.

I have, of course, tried recording from my PC, but it's not up to the task of running the game and recording it.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I'm having a weird issue while streaming where if I'm on a Skype call, my stream won't output any game sound. This happens with both games I stream though my capture card and games I stream direct from my PC. Anybody know what's up and how I can stop making Skype a hog?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

kalonZombie posted:

I'm having a weird issue while streaming where if I'm on a Skype call, my stream won't output any game sound. This happens with both games I stream though my capture card and games I stream direct from my PC. Anybody know what's up and how I can stop making Skype a hog?
Are you certain that the game sound gets cut, or it may be really dampened as well? Do you have single playback device? If answers are "no, it may" and "yes", then it almost certainly will be Skype muting other stuff 80% down, which you can check in sound menu (right click speaker in tray), in the "communications" tab.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I'm sure the sound gets cut. I know about Windows' really aggressive ducking stuff but this isn't that.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

kalonZombie posted:

I'm sure the sound gets cut. I know about Windows' really aggressive ducking stuff but this isn't that.
Do you have more than 1 playback device? If so, this might be happening.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Based on the date, I don't think that's what it is, at least for me; I have the exact same issue. I was streaming La-Mulana a couple of weeks ago, had game audio, then nothing when I got a guest joining me on Skype. Never had it happen before, so it would be weird for it to be caused by something from 2013.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

frozentreasure posted:

Based on the date, I don't think that's what it is, at least for me; I have the exact same issue. I was streaming La-Mulana a couple of weeks ago, had game audio, then nothing when I got a guest joining me on Skype. Never had it happen before, so it would be weird for it to be caused by something from 2013.
Sorry, I'm just trying to troubleshoot someone who has not provided even a single bit of useful information about their system. Besides that, Skype is a piece of poo poo of a software, never underestimate the ways it could gently caress up in.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
While we're making shots in the dark, do you use a Logitech headset? Try killing the Logitech Gaming Software before starting and see if that randomly fixes things. (There's a known conflict between the Logitech Gaming Software and Nvidia Shadowplay causing Shadowplay to not record audio if the Logitech Gaming Software is running, so who knows?)

If it isn't the Communications tab ducking the audio, then I have really no clue other than to start blaming drivers.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm using a combination of Voicemeeter and Skype's screen sharing as a means of recording live commentary with someone, but we've got a problem. The raw video includes the other party's voice, as Fraps is capturing all of my system sound. Is there a way I can capture video and audio from JUST the game?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I want to do some stream stuff where I have only the audio of whatever I'm streaming, and not my skype audio. Some googling pointed me to Virtual Audio Cable, but I have no idea how to set it up so that it splits my skype audio and mic audio from the game audio.

Any help would be very welcome!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Use Voiceemeter instead of VAC now.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Use Voiceemeter instead of VAC now.

Where is a legit place to download it?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Major_JF posted:

It's freeware.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 20, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Major_JF posted:

http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's freeware.
Sorry, i'm pedant, it's donationware. You can pay whatever you want for licence.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm using a combination of Voicemeeter and Skype's screen sharing as a means of recording live commentary with someone, but we've got a problem. The raw video includes the other party's voice, as Fraps is capturing all of my system sound. Is there a way I can capture video and audio from JUST the game?

I have a super high tech solution for this exact thing which is not high tech at all.

I run skype's audio through my headset, and the game audio through my speakers. I wear a pair of earbud headphones so that my mic doesn't pick up the game audio and tada! Its simple and kind of uncomfortable wearing a headset and earphones but it works without having to fiddle with any extra programs and my fraps videos are completely clean.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's freeware.

I was asking because the last time I tried to find Audacity the proper site was number 6 on the list and the cnet version was still 1.26. And I was seeing similar things again.

Thank you sir.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Major_JF posted:

I was asking because the last time I tried to find Audacity the proper site was number 6 on the list and the cnet version was still 1.26.
You might want to visit antimalware thread too, if you use CNET.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Oh, don't worry about that. I haven't used CNET in over 9 years. It just keeps popping up in the searches.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

SC Bracer posted:

I want to do some stream stuff where I have only the audio of whatever I'm streaming, and not my skype audio. Some googling pointed me to Virtual Audio Cable, but I have no idea how to set it up so that it splits my skype audio and mic audio from the game audio.

Any help would be very welcome!
If you use Voicemeeter Banana, then you can just set VAIO input as default, AUX VAIO as default for comms, and route them both into whatever is your sound device. Since you would have then VAIO as default input, your game recording software (assuming worst case where you can't select what audio it records) should automatically pick up VAIO where you have all non-communication sounds only, thus you record only game, but you hear both. Looks like this:

SC Bracer, you can achieve that with Virtual Audio Cable too, if you have it, but it is way more of a hassle than Voicemeeter Banana. As in, I can walk through that too, but if you do not have hard preference - take Voicemeeter.

Edit: Took another screenshot where I have set it the way I described, since I don't run thing separately often. Also writing words is hard.

Edit2: In Skype, though, not sure if it will pick automatically ringing device to correct one, you should test it.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 20, 2015

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

kalstrams posted:

If you use Voicemeeter Banana, then you can just set VAIO input as default, AUX VAIO as default for comms, and route them both into whatever is your sound device. Since you would have then VAIO as default input, your game recording software (assuming worst case where you can't select what audio it records) should automatically pick up VAIO where you have all non-communication sounds only, thus you record only game, but you hear both. Looks like this:

SC Bracer, you can achieve that with Virtual Audio Cable too, if you have it, but it is way more of a hassle than Voicemeeter Banana. As in, I can walk through that too, but if you do not have hard preference - take Voicemeeter.

Edit: Took another screenshot where I have set it the way I described, since I don't run thing separately often. Also writing words is hard.

Edit2: In Skype, though, not sure if it will pick automatically ringing device to correct one, you should test it.

Excellent! We need to grab Voicemeeter Banana then. Do you know if I can load a preset from plain ol' Voicemeeter into that? It'd be nice to not have to set everything up again.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Excellent! We need to grab Voicemeeter Banana then. Do you know if I can load a preset from plain ol' Voicemeeter into that? It'd be nice to not have to set everything up again.
No idea, I haven't used plain Voicemeeter.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
All right, thanks a lot!

e: Well, I've got it set up and while it works fine for what I need it for, it's managed to break itunes and spotify.

"There is a problem with your sound card. Spotify can't play music." is the error I'm getting.

double e: as it turns out rebooting fixes everything

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 21, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Looking for feedback on gifs, since I'm pretty new at making them. Also wouldn't mind gauging what the preference is for their speed.

Original

4x Speed

I'm compressing them quite a bit, since they are big, so some graphical artifacts appear but honestly I don't think its that big a deal.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 21, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Looking for feedback on gifs, since I'm pretty new at making them. Also wouldn't mind gauging what the preference is for their speed.

Original

4x Speed

I'm compressing them quite a bit, since they are big, so some graphical artifacts appear but honestly I don't think its that big a deal.

I think the 4x is fine.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
Can someone explain to me how to overlay a hitbox stream chat on a video that came from a stream? I will be using OBS as well to stream the game.

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 21, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GMArcturus posted:

Can someone explain to me how to overlay a hitbox stream chat on a video that came from a stream? I will be using OBS as well to stream the game.
Get yourself Ubiquitous 2, set it up (nothing complicated but :justpost: in case), and then do a window capture on it, or use it's feature that lets you output chat to image file and then just add image file to stream. Remember to set OBS to autorefresh image on change.

Saldon
Jul 8, 2011
If I'm interested in doing a vlp, how much hard-drive space should I be expecting to have to dedicate to it?

I'm getting a new hard-drive and I know let's play is something I kind of want to try.
I'm thinking about getting a 1 tb hard-drive but the price difference is small enough that I could get a 2-3 tb one instead if let's plays take up a lot of space.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Saldon posted:

If I'm interested in doing a vlp, how much hard-drive space should I be expecting to have to dedicate to it?

I'm getting a new hard-drive and I know let's play is something I kind of want to try.
I'm thinking about getting a 1 tb hard-drive but the price difference is small enough that I could get a 2-3 tb one instead if let's plays take up a lot of space.

Is it a long game? Short game? Long episodes or 20 min vids? Do you plan on keeping the RAW files or just the final encodes?

1 TB is good enough if you want around 4 hours of raw footage from Fraps, maybe more.

Edit: Should specify I get 4+ hours at 60 FPS at 1680x1050

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 21, 2015

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Saldon posted:

This will vary a lot depending on what you're recording, at what frame rate and resolution, and in what format. Do you have any ideas what you're aiming to be recording? I'd get the bigger drive because it'll just straight up be more useful, and, possibly, faster.

Modern fancier photorealistic games at higher resolutions and framerates are going to use many many more megabytes than older pixelly ones, especially if recorded losslessly. A lot of people use things like OBS and record to, I assume, lossy h264 at a decently high bitrate since they're uploading to youtube at some point and it doesn't make a big difference visually anyway. Also, because computers nowadays are kind of ridiculously powerful or something.

Saldon
Jul 8, 2011

Mastigophoran posted:

This will vary a lot depending on what you're recording, at what frame rate and resolution, and in what format. Do you have any ideas what you're aiming to be recording? I'd get the bigger drive because it'll just straight up be more useful, and, possibly, faster.

Modern fancier photorealistic games at higher resolutions and framerates are going to use many many more megabytes than older pixelly ones, especially if recorded losslessly. A lot of people use things like OBS and record to, I assume, lossy h264 at a decently high bitrate since they're uploading to youtube at some point and it doesn't make a big difference visually anyway. Also, because computers nowadays are kind of ridiculously powerful or something.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Is it a long game? Short game? Long episodes or 20 min vids? Do you plan on keeping the RAW files or just the final encodes?

1 TB is good enough if you want around 4 hours of raw footage from Fraps, maybe more.

Edit: Should specify I get 4+ hours at 60 FPS at 1680x1050

Thanks a lot.

A game I want to do when I get a grasp on things is really big so I will be getting a 3 tb hard-drive.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

So I have a weird problem. Due to a capture issue, my video's brightness is way down. So in AviSynth I tweaked it with .Tweak(bright=50) and when I preview it in VirtualDub and MPC it looks beautiful. The weird thing is... when I uploaded it to YouTube (and also, after the fact I tried it in VLC to see how it looked and it does the same) it's super over-bright. I'm sure I could do a bunch of encodes until I get one that (ugh) looks right in VLC, but I was wondering if anyone knew why this would be, as videos usually don't look radically different in MPC and VLC/YouTube...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Sounds like it could be a colorspace or colorspace conversion issue.