Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
t25 - straight up good tank, makes enough cash too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Personally I enjoy the T34, but it's not for everyone. Plus it's expensive.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Su-122-44 contains a miniaturised mint in the engine compartment, the plans having been stolen from Switzerland by the KGB in 1948.

Though I mostly end up just driving the T34 and Churchill III for credits because they're pretty easy to half rear end

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Atal Vataman posted:

t25 - straight up good tank, makes enough cash too

Seconding this, T25 owns

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

NotWearingPants posted:

In case you missed it, others corrected me: you only need the secondary conditions on the final mission.

That's what they meant. I was confused by the other post, so thanks for clarifying. :unsmith:

I just unlocked my Chaffee and looking forward to playing it.

Are there any in-depth guides online to getting better? My 30 day WN8 is now up to 600, but I want to be a solidly green player. I don't really care about stat padding.

NTRabbit posted:

I've been reading about, drawing, and playing games with warships and naval combat since I was 4, why the gently caress can't I get into the alpha? :smith:

Tell me about it; even joined the Navy for real (Don't worry Captain, I've had the characteristics of this ship memorized since I was 12). I even designed a card game with warships when I was a kid and had my ship drawing taken away in grammar school. What's hilarious is I took Naval Architecture in college so I had to draw ships for class.

I know once botes open Beta gets released, I probably won't play much tonks even though it's quite a fun game.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

rossmum posted:

My first battle in Yamato was historically accurate: I shot at someone and then got torped by planes and capsized. My second was better, I dunked some lower tier BBs. My third?

I just deleted a Nagato in a single salvo from right on the edge of his own gun range. :magical:

Also, my quality of life has improved dramatically since I stopped playing tanks!

I ran into an island in my Mogami with a yamato chasing me. He was nice enough to miss a salvo as he lumbered into my torpedo launchers firing arc at near point blank range.

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 20, 2015

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Is the FCM 50t not good at making credits? It seems like it's the best t8 prem for players who are good. Pref mm, very mobile, very good gun with high DPM, supposedly cheap ammo, good gun depression. It's huge and has no armor, but that's where the being good comes in.

I'm seriously considering getting one even though I have the T34 and KV-5 already. They're just really slow and can be annoying to play sometimes. I tend to favor lights/mediums with good mobility.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 20, 2015

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

MoraleHazard posted:

That's what they meant. I was confused by the other post, so thanks for clarifying. :unsmith:

I just unlocked my Chaffee and looking forward to playing it.

Are there any in-depth guides online to getting better? My 30 day WN8 is now up to 600, but I want to be a solidly green player. I don't really care about stat padding.

Tell me about it; even joined the Navy for real (Don't worry Captain, I've had the characteristics of this ship memorized since I was 12). I even designed a card game with warships when I was a kid and had my ship drawing taken away in grammar school. What's hilarious is I took Naval Architecture in college so I had to draw ships for class.

I know once botes open Beta gets released, I probably won't play much tonks even though it's quite a fun game.
Well, one way to get better is to play with good players and learn from them.

You can read about game mechanics on the WoT wiki, which will help you understand some really important things like how spotting and camouflage work.

Another thing you can do is look up guides to weak spots on all the tanks that you have been facing, particularly the heavily armored ones that are giving you trouble. Knowing how to penetrate certain tanks from the front can be very helpful, especially if you're playing tanks that suffer from low penetration guns. If you don't do damage, your wn8 will suck. Damage is the most important factor in wn8, as far as I can tell.

You can also watch replays from good players, and post your own replays and ask for advice/criticism. Maybe you're overextending, maybe you're peeking/poking, maybe you're being too passive. It's hard for us to give you specific advice without seeing how you play.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Uranium 235 posted:

Is the FCM 50t not good at making credits? It seems like it's the best t8 prem for players who are good. Pref mm, very mobile, very good gun with high DPM, supposedly cheap ammo, good gun depression. It's huge and has no armor, but that's where the being good comes in.

I'm seriously considering getting one even though I have the T34 and KV-5 already. They're just really slow and can be annoying to play sometimes. I tend to favor lights/mediums with good mobility.

When we do T8 strongholds with the credit boost I make 100k credits pretty much every game. The tank shits credits. In pub matches I make usually 70k.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

When we do T8 strongholds with the credit boost I make 100k credits pretty much every game. The tank shits credits. In pub matches I make usually 70k.

What are Strongholds, I seem to have missed what they are entirely. I've looked at the map thingy but it made no sense.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Yeah, is it worth joining a decent clan to do strongholds? I'm still in NDP.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Uranium 235 posted:

Is the FCM 50t not good at making credits?

The T34, Lowe and FCM 50t all poo poo credits in equal measure, they just suit different play styles and if you pick the wrong one for you it can be frustrating. The IS-6 is not a great choice if you want to earn credits but it is if you want to stat pad, and the 112 is not a good choice full stop.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 20, 2015

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I thought I was looking at the special for last weekend, but it turns out that it's same missions and bonuses this weekend as it was last . New week, same poo poo. :suicide:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

The T34, Lowe and FCM 50t all poo poo credits in equal measure, they just suit different play styles and if you pick the wrong one for you it can be frustrating.

II play the Lowe and E25 for credits and the Lowe does generate quite a bit of cash, it's got slightly worse with more people having top tier tanks meaning you see fewer games as top tier but it's still ok. The main problem is that it's slow so if your team fucks up hard you can't reposition easily to carry them. But if you only care about silver then that matters less. So if you like big slow tanks, then the Lowe isn't a bad shout really.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

So when the hell is NA getting 9.6? It's not actually delayed until March 15, right?

... right?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Aramoro posted:

What are Strongholds, I seem to have missed what they are entirely. I've looked at the map thingy but it made no sense.

Strongholds are like CW light. Your clan fights to get resources to get credit boosts and special missions. So there are skirmishes which are like the old team battles companies (your team ques up to ace other baddies and make gross amounts of money in T6, T8 or T10) then there are raids that are like a string of CW matches to attack buildings.

Prav posted:

So when the hell is NA getting 9.6? It's not actually delayed until March 15, right?

... right?

When ever WG wants to flip switch. Because of the ever important ESPORT scene.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 20, 2015

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

Strongholds are like CW light. Your clan fights to get resources to get credit boosts and special missions. So there are skirmishes which are like the old team battles (your team ques up to ace other baddies and make gross amounts of money in T6, T8 or T10) then there are raids that are like a string of CW matches to attack buildings.

Ah that sounds pretty cool, I see I'm located in the command centre which I assume is just the holding area for everyone before they get assigned to different buildings.

2PAC seems to have a bunch of Stronghold fights, I'll need to find out when they do them as I really liked the Tank Company battles.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Mesadoram posted:

Strongholds are like CW light. Your clan fights to get resources to get credit boosts and special missions. So there are skirmishes which are like the old team battles (your team ques up to ace other baddies and make gross amounts of money in T6, T8 or T10) then there are raids that are like a string of CW matches to attack buildings.

When ever WG wants to flip switch. Because of the ever important ESPORT scene.

It's more like companies instead of team battles. Team battles were a weird 7/42 thing. Sadly you are now limited by players instead of points so you can't have hilarious goon teams with 3 T2LTs.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Ensign Expendable posted:

It's more like companies instead of team battles. Team battles were a weird 7/42 thing. Sadly you are now limited by players instead of points so you can't have hilarious goon teams with 3 T2LTs.

Thanks, I fixed it.

Debating on selling my T28 proto and going up the E3 tree. I am not really sure my body is ready for that grind...

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..

MoraleHazard posted:

Disclaimer: I'm a bad player. I've played 1194 battles with a win rate of 45.31% with a win8 of 638 however over the past month I've seen a steady improvement in my play.

My stats
code:
Overall:        638 w8, 45% WR
Past 30:        749 w8, 43% WR
Past 7:         833 w8, 46% WR
Past 24hrs:     955 w8, 45% WR
Things that have helped me in the past month:

- Dont try and rush to the higher tiers. Stay within tier, upgrade your tank and learn its strengths and weaknesses.
- Don't go lone ranger. Pick someone with a good WR% and a similiar tank and follow them to learn the maps. If there is nobody good to follow, then stick with the group and dont be the first to die.
- Use your free XP on upgrading a tank rather than unlocking it. Stops the awful grind when you do get a new tank.
- Watch a few games on twitch or youtube to see how the good players do it. I much prefer twitch because youtube tends to be full of crazy over-the-top replays that are hard to replicate.
- Read, read, and re-read some online guides for game mechanics. I haven't found map guides to be very useful as games change very quickly to be their own unique things and are vastly different depending on your tank and team comp, but you may have more luck with them.
- I've had success in using guns with a high alpha. It's made me much more patient and meant that I don't need to leave my tank exposed for longer than it needs to be. Obviously this will depend on your tank and guns available, but I've found its much easier to make a contribution to your team if you only need to land a few shots a game (thanks SU-152 derp).

I'm not good enough to carry my team and I don't have the right tanks to do it anyway, so I don't try, but hopefully as I get a little better I can start to improve my WR% by being less of an awful pubbie.

Rothmog
Jul 26, 2011
I would consider myself an average player. I win some matches that I shouldn't and I throw some that I should win.

My stats
code:
Overall:        1768 w8, 57% WR
Past 7:         2353 w8, 60% WR
Past 24hrs:     1636 w8, 47% WR
Advice to improve stats (not get better):
Find a tank you play well in that most people find lovely. The threshold to pad your WN8 will be low. Examples: T25/2 or scouts like the WZ-131. While you will raise your WN8, you probably won't be able to carry the game on your own.

If you want to increase your WR just platoon with the same people regularly. You will learn each others tendencies and how to compliment each other.

Playing with better players doesn't always make you better, but it sure does help if you pay attention. Get XVM, if you die don't leave the match. Watch the best player on your team and either watch him do well or watch what he does wrong and make a mental note. Find a playstyle/tank line you like and stick to it. I suffer from Tank A.D.D. I am playing up 10+ tank lines at once and only play the doubles each day. DON'T DO THIS if you want to improve. Find a game mechanic you like and make it your bitch.
Hull down heavies: T29, Sidescrape: E75, Hidden doom cannon: SU-152.

I am just rambling at work, hope this helps someone.

Rothmog fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 20, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Play tanks you like and tanks that match your play style. I tanked my stats early on by hate-grinding my first clans wars tank (it was an S-51 to give you an idea of how long ago this was). When you're not having any fun, you won't play well.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

sc0tty posted:

- Dont try and rush to the higher tiers. Stay within tier, upgrade your tank and learn its strengths and weaknesses.
I think this is the best advice a new player can get. when starting out you basically have 2 choices: learn the fundamentals and get good, or fail upward. start a couple of different lines, in different nations/tank types, then rotate around

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

Play tanks you like and tanks that match your play style. I tanked my stats early on by hate-grinding my first clans wars tank (it was an S-51 to give you an idea of how long ago this was). When you're not having any fun, you won't play well.

This is good advice. My stats are tanked pretty hard due to how I played when I started. Now I can post 60% WR's in the tanks I enjoy playing (The Valentine!) but the tanks I don't get on with are in the hole WR wise. I'm getting better in the tanks I'm bad in slowly but I'm not sure I'll ever get my E75 back on to winning ways after my start with it.

My worst sessions are ones where im just trying to do my doubles etc, playing loads of different tanks instead of focussing on a few and learning to be good in them.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 20, 2015

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All of what he said is solid advice. Other stuff that really helps :

- Platooning with someone good is like the best thing that can happen to you, because you learn faster, you can actually expect support from at least 1 player, and if you die you get to watch how a good player does it.
- Learn tank weakspots, their gun stats (mostly the alpha, reload and overall accuracy) and how they tend to behave in battle (drive fast/tank shells/snipe from afar?). Ideally you don't need to know exactly if that part of the armor of a particular tank is 85 or 92 millimeters thick or if the top speed is 34 or 38kph, just if you can reliably expect to penetrate it with the tanks you have or if you can reliably run away if you can't.
- Always have a plan, and be ready to quickly adjust your plan as the battle unfolds. If that plan fails, be ready to sell your life dearly, might win your team a few extra seconds.
- Make the best of your tank. That means using the best modules, getting camo when useful, using the best equipment you can afford and shooting gold when you have to. It's better to spend 4k creds on a shell and win thanks to that than only shoot 720 creds worth of standard ammo and lose. Also, get consummables, next time I see a full health Tiger burn to death because fire extinguishers are too expensive, I swear to god I will find where that rear end in a top hat lives and skullfuck him to death.
- If your odds are good, go for kills instead of damage (within reason, don't waste a 152mm shell on a 35hp target if you have friendly tanks near you that can take care of it), it's always good to remove one enemy gun from the battlefield.
- If there's a tank you don't like and do terrible in, grind it out then sell it and never touch it again. Don't force yourself to play tanks you can't play well in, no point in that.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

sc0tty posted:

Yup. For me it was the Little Leo, I did so many games in that little T5 and I did not give two fucks about my stats. While those games were going on I went up the Pershing tree (that's when it was the T9) and the T30 tree (when it was the T10). I used the 704 to grind out the credits to buy the T30 (back then the 704 was a loving BEAST).

That was basically my first year of playing the game, I went up a few different trees learning how to play differently in each kind of tank (except arty, that came later). Don't worry about grinding to the top, find a tank type that you like and stick with it, when you die go to a different type. The quicker you learn how all of the tank types affect the battle the better you will get at the game.

Just my 2¢.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

Debating on selling my T28 proto and going up the E3 tree. I am not really sure my body is ready for that grind...

Both lines were fun in my experience.
The T30 is great with that doom gun and the T110E4 is pretty fun for pubbing. Don't you already have the T30, cause I have seen you lamenting removing it as US tier10 heavy?
The E3 line was imo funnier than the E4 line, where the Jackson was pretty decent (long time ago though), the T25AT is a hidden gem untouched by nerfs, the T28 is the shitter in the line, I had more fun in the T95 mobbing tier10 heavies than I have had in the E3, mostly due to a better all around armour layout. But I guess the E3 is in more need for CW.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

WitchFetish posted:

- If there's a tank you don't like and do terrible in, grind it out then sell it and never touch it again. Don't force yourself to play tanks you can't play well in, no point in that.

There's always free XP! Some tanks are just so awful, dropping a cup of coffee's worth in gold to skip them is a very reasonable option.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Cardiac posted:

The T30 is great with that doom gun and the T110E4 is pretty fun for pubbing. Don't you already have the T30, cause I have seen you lamenting removing it as US tier10 heavy?

Yes. I sold my T30 when I bought the E4, 268 and 261 at the same time. Kind of regret it.

This is going to sound crazy, but I grinded back up the new tree to get the Proto. It was a fun tank when people did not know how to shoot it. I just feel like I am really, Really going to hate the T95 and I want to find any excuse to not play it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Click red tanks more than you get clicked. If you click on somebody and don't get clicked, figure out why that worked and do it more. If you click and get clicked, figure out whether it was worth it and if you could have avoided getting clicked on. If you get clicked and don't get to click figure out why and avoid that at all costs.

Also clicks don't count if they're not on the squish bits, and friendly clicks are as good as your own if and only if they happen. A click of your own is worth two or three from pubs. You're spending time and your hp to get damage. Damage becomes less valuable as time passes and hp becomes more important.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mesadoram posted:

Yes. I sold my T30 when I bought the E4, 268 and 261 at the same time. Kind of regret it.

This is going to sound crazy, but I grinded back up the new tree to get the Proto. It was a fun tank when people did not know how to shoot it. I just feel like I am really, Really going to hate the T95 and I want to find any excuse to not play it.

The T95 is a slower T28 Proto that doesn't get ruined by gold rounds to its stupid flat front. Hold W and watch as your team dies in two minutes or wins before you click once.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Hellsau posted:

The T95 is a slower T28 Proto that doesn't get ruined by gold rounds to its stupid flat front. Hold W and watch as your team dies in two minutes or wins before you click once.

Sounds about as much fun as a rectal prolapse. I cant wait to "carry" pubbies in a tank that moves slower than a dead snail rolling down a molasses mountain.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

Sounds about as much fun as a rectal prolapse. I cant wait to "carry" pubbies in a tank that moves slower than a dead snail rolling down a molasses mountain.

That's pretty charitable actually. Molasses is capable of going surprisingly fast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Molasses_Disaster
(Molasses Disaster sounds like a pretty good name for a T95)

That said, I'm not really looking forward to the T95 either though. I've got the T28, and going from 'very slow' to 'glacial' is a bit worrying.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I made it about 70% of the way through the T28, tried the T95 on test, and free xped to the E3. The E3 is great against people who aim, but people snapshotting will magically pen every shot.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Rorac posted:

(Molasses Disaster sounds like a pretty good name for a T95)

If only this was something we could write on the side of the tank...

I know the E3 is fantastic and it does get used frequently.

:smugjones:

Next time there is a crew trainer price cut I am going to buy the T28.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Next time there is a crew trainer price cut I am going to buy the T28.

The T28 has some major problems, namely gold ammo to the flat front and cupolas. Why does that thing deserve weak cupolas instead of whatever bullshit the T95 cupolas are made of?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It's not terribly hard to pen the front plate on the T28 with standard AP from, say, the BL-9 or 10,5 L/68 either.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Thanks for the replies on getting better. So far, I've been doing a lot of reading (all my bathroom reading) on the wiki and other guides. I've also been watching reviews by the Mighty Jingles. I have been learning weakspots, but still mostly clueless on the options for a tank's gun when they're on an enemy's tank. I do use consumables, and thankfully keep them bound to the same keys on every tank.

I think where I'm failing is jumping from tank to tank when I play. I have a bunch of different trees open and rush from tank to tank trying to get the x2 daily bonus on them all. I should really be focusing on one or two tanks in an evening. I'm also going to stop heading back to the garage when I die unless it's a team of complete shitters.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

MoraleHazard posted:

Thanks for the replies on getting better. So far, I've been doing a lot of reading (all my bathroom reading) on the wiki and other guides. I've also been watching reviews by the Mighty Jingles. I have been learning weakspots, but still mostly clueless on the options for a tank's gun when they're on an enemy's tank. I do use consumables, and thankfully keep them bound to the same keys on every tank.

I think where I'm failing is jumping from tank to tank when I play. I have a bunch of different trees open and rush from tank to tank trying to get the x2 daily bonus on them all. I should really be focusing on one or two tanks in an evening. I'm also going to stop heading back to the garage when I die unless it's a team of complete shitters.

If someone hasn't mentioned him already, Zeven (here on the left along with other decent streamers) is a great resource cause he explains every move he makes, informative for both tanks and maps.

And make sure you have, at the very least, a view/render range mod and an autoaim assist mod (changes autoaim so that rather than needing you to mouse over the tank to activate it, the tank nearest your cursor is selected, very handy in the heat of battle). Definitely available via the excellent OMC modpack and I think Aslain's also, probably others as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

NTRabbit posted:

The T34, Lowe and FCM 50t all poo poo credits in equal measure, they just suit different play styles and if you pick the wrong one for you it can be frustrating. The IS-6 is not a great choice if you want to earn credits but it is if you want to stat pad, and the 112 is not a good choice full stop.

The FCM shits on both the T34 and Lowe for the sole reason of never seeing tier 10s. The IS-6 is also a really good money maker, you don't need to spam gold as long as you know how to aim.

The FCM is absolutely worth it as it cross trains for a great line(and can be used to train up a crew for the second medium line coming in 9.7) and is actually fun to play. Also, tier 8 prefs are not being released anymore and there have been several rumours of the current pref 8s all being taken out of the store eventually.