Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Corki is never in the right place this game, its costing UOL a lot.

Odoamne is keeping Irelia in check nicely too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
UoL made the right call to shove mid down there when they realized they gave Graves a free turret in the botlane

e: kikis what are you doing...

How Rude fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 19, 2015

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Catching up with the games now and loving :lol: @ Elements, you loving shitters lmfao.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
was fnatic vs sk any good? i know who won bcuz i coudln't wait and checked reddit to my delight so unless it was good i dont feel like watching. otherwise im going to watch the greatest throw in the history of the world starring elements

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Luna Was Here posted:

was fnatic vs sk any good? i know who won bcuz i coudln't wait and checked reddit to my delight so unless it was good i dont feel like watching. otherwise im going to watch the greatest throw in the history of the world starring elements

It was extremely good.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Luna Was Here posted:

I watched it and it was very good and Forgiven dies.

H2K is on a solid winning streak now. Have they improved? I'm glad Ryu is winning regardless.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Luna Was Here posted:

It's pretty much the best game either LCS has played yet this split to be perfectly honest.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

ROCCAT's former coach (coached them all of last year) made a Facebook post that offers some insight to the team, and maybe why they are having such problems.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

It's pretty much the best game either LCS has played yet this split to be perfectly honest.

By far.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That Elements throw was amazing, and you just know they're all arguing and blaming each other for it.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

That's pretty damning because it had a ton of incredibly sloppy play on both sides feat. every godawful hook attempt by Yellowstar.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Firebert posted:

That's pretty damning because it had a ton of incredibly sloppy play on both sides feat. every godawful hook attempt by Yellowstar.

That's true, it exposed SK's relatively weak warding and what I assume is still the last bits of Fnatic's communication barriers (Libertine pointed out that Yellowstart kept getting teammates baited by Thresh hooks), but it looked a lot better than the TSM vs. CLG game which is the best NA has to offer.

Edit: I mean at the end of the day it wasn't a perfect game, and I think if you threw SK or Fnatic into the Korean league they wouldn't be able to beat the top ~2 consistently yet, but at least they did poo poo. They didn't sit around for half an hour farming up a gold lead and they didn't mindlessly throw themselves around the map in a Bronze battle ball. It was a deliberate, if bloodthirsty, game that showcased what are probably the two consistently best team in the Western world right now (TSM is really good but it looks like they're playing solo queue too much to say they're better than Fnatic and SK yet).

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 20, 2015

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
hi guys im playing challenger tier subscribe to me on youtube and watch my twitch stream http://www.twitch.tv/acanthocybium

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Lovechop posted:

it really didn't take a lot of time though, is what i mean. i thought he was going to be so bad he would get nien'd after half a split and then suddenly he's good and works super nice after a v short time

A bit late to this, but if I remember correctly Santorin had been on TSM for 2 weeks at the time of San Jose. They had most of the off-season to gel and it looks like they did.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Firebert posted:

The way that LCS is set up it's inevitable. The massive time gap between seasons and the way player acquisition works result in more or less the entire first split being worthless garbage, because there's like a four month window where almost nobody gets any practice.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
stream over... thats all folks

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Team Yell0wStaR-Inspires-Greatness vs. Team Racist Assholes was great. I wish I had one tenth Reignover's skill in the jungle, I'd probably be Diamond with a bullet.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
haha i can't believe MYM lost against that ridiculous comp gambit drafted. Looks like Diamond completely took over the game with a tank Nidalee who i'm assuming still does amazing damage with just ~300 AP.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Lightning Knight posted:

How are we measuring "best"? I watched Fnatic vs SK, and TSM v CLG is easily the best because it was the best to watch. Fnatic took some setbacks, but from where I started in the early mid-game they basically performed in a similar fashion to Korean teams that know how to end a game - out rotate, out ward, methodically build on small advantages until they're large.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
That H2K - UOL game was actually pretty good, I think both of those teams are very solid.

I feel like the EU LCS breaks down like this:

Tier 1 - FNC and SK
Tier 2 - H2K, UOL
Tier 3 - CW, Elements, Giants, Gambit, Roccat
Not an LCS team - MYM

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
Both games were great, but Fnatic-SK was mostly about Fnatic outpicking, outlaning, out-thinking and outplaying SK on every level of the game. Except for Forgiven/nRated crushing their lane anyway. SK fought back here and there, but it wasn't very close. The game was pretty to look at - Fnatic played beautifully - but I wouldn't call it best-of material.

CLG vs TSM was about CLG doing the same to TSM, playing better on every possible level except for team fights, where they started getting owned going to mid/late, and then the game turned around. It never felt like the game was really over until it was. Neither games managed to bring out a top tier performance from both teams involved, but that's exciting and memorable.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Ihki posted:

Both games were great, but Fnatic-SK was mostly about Fnatic outpicking, outlaning, out-thinking and outplaying SK on every level of the game. Except for Forgiven/nRated crushing their lane anyway. SK fought back here and there, but it wasn't very close. The game was pretty to look at - Fnatic played beautifully - but I wouldn't call it best-of material.

CLG vs TSM was about CLG doing the same to TSM, playing better on every possible level except for team fights, where they started getting owned going to mid/late, and then the game turned around. It never felt like the game was really over until it was. Neither games managed to bring out a top tier performance from both teams involved, but that's exciting and memorable.

You really think FNC outpicked SK? I liked SK's draft much, much more, I just think that reignover completely exposed their early warding issues and FNC steamrolled them from there.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Sexpansion posted:

You really think FNC outpicked SK? I liked SK's draft much, much more, I just think that reignover completely exposed their early warding issues and FNC steamrolled them from there.

I do, figuring that with the bans narrowing Fredy's picks, he seemed uncomfortable playing Renekton. Maybe this is just him underperforming, maybe it was the pick. Add to that my theorycrafting of Jarvan-Renekton being a jungle/top combo that often ends up with negative team fight synergy, and you have my reasoning. I mean, Renekton can jump in and out of J4 ult, sure, but what's the value of having a frontline tank whose job it is to follow J4 who jumps in before him anyway? Or (even worse?) what's the value of having Renekton go in before J4? I don't really know.

You could look at something like the... 35 minute-ish? team fight around mid lane, where Fredy wastes a stupid E dash (again) to reposition away from an imminent fight, after which Svenskeren's J4 engages and Fredy's left circling the Cataclysm walls able to do nothing for most of the fight. He couldn't even follow Jarvan. It could've been worked around of with better play, sure, but I'm not sure SK was 100% familiar with how to play the comp. That's one possible sign of outpicking yourself, maybe as a result of their former go-to pick in this exact situation (Azir) being Rengared in 5.3.

Reignover was amazing too, you're right about that, and I think Rek'sai is a brilliant pick for punishing stingy warding.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 20, 2015

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Ihki posted:

I do, figuring that with the bans narrowing Fredy's picks, he seemed uncomfortable playing Renekton. Maybe this is just him underperforming, maybe it was the pick. Add to that my theorycrafting of Jarvan-Renekton being a jungle/top combo that often ends up with negative team fight synergy, and you have my reasoning. I mean, Renekton can jump in and out of J4 ult, sure, but what's the value of having a frontline tank whose job it is to follow J4 who jumps in before him anyway? Or (even worse?) what's the value of having Renekton go in before J4? I don't really know.

You could look at something like the... 35 minute-ish? team fight around mid lane, where Fredy wastes a stupid E dash (again) to reposition away from an imminent fight, after which Svenskeren's J4 engages and Fredy's left circling the Cataclysm walls able to do nothing for most of the fight. He couldn't even follow Jarvan. It could've been worked around of with better play, sure, but I'm not sure SK was 100% familiar with how to play the comp. That's one possible sign of outpicking yourself, maybe as a result of their former go-to pick in this exact situation (Azir) being Rengared in 5.3.

Reignover was amazing too, you're right about that, and I think Rek'sai is a brilliant pick for punishing stingy warding.

I think Renekton is an ok pick - it's certainly not prominent in the meta right now - and the reason it's ok is because SK got what they want, which was traditional (well, inverted, but traditional) starting lanes. Reignover just happened to punish Fredy's positioning twice in a row, which mean that Renekton, which is an early and mid game pick, never got going. I think the Renekton - J4 synergy could actually be pretty good, but FNC was just too far ahead all game.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I think Renekton is pretty much always okay, but getting behind on Renekton basically means your team loses. He has almost no way to play from behind and does virtually nothing independent of gaining an advantage from early bullying.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If Fredy ever got great at Rumble he'd be goddamn terrifying since there wouldn't be anyway way to ban him out anymore and there wouldn't be any way of ignoring him. Seeing Korean teams put 2 bans against him, and even banning out his Aatrox was kind of telling. We can talk a lot about how he's like Flame or Zionspartin who can hard-carry from top lane, but neither of those guys were excellent at playing meta picks for the team. He's most like Smeb this season who dominates top lane and can still manage to heavily synergize with his team.

That being said Renekton was probably the last champion they should have put him on in that match, he Aatrox would have been more effective than that, at least he would have a way to deal damage through Jarvin's Cataclysm.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Is Aatrox a viable competitive pick at all right now? I honestly don't know.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Sexpansion posted:

I don't think he's changed at all since fredy was getting target banned for him at worlds. Shook jungled him in week 1.

I still don't think he's a good pick (I don't even think he was a good pick when fredy was getting him banned), and no one other than fredy has even played a competitive game on him since like I think Darien???

I also think Aatrox gets a little bit more in the unique strength department when Jarvan isn't ubiquitous because they fill largely the same role (a knockup attached to a good set of stats) and Jarvan presently does that role better.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Badfinger posted:

How are we measuring "best"? I watched Fnatic vs SK, and TSM v CLG is easily the best because it was the best to watch. Fnatic took some setbacks, but from where I started in the early mid-game they basically performed in a similar fashion to Korean teams that know how to end a game - out rotate, out ward, methodically build on small advantages until they're large.

Because CLG/TSM was a sloppy solo queue throw-fest that CLG let through their grasp like the perpetual dorks they are. Fnatic v. SK was a pretty, competent game that managed to be both skillful and watchable because they (~gasp~) actually engaged with each other instead of farming up a storm.

quote:

He's "viable" in the same way that Lucian is "viable," he does what another actual meta pick (Irelia) does but worse across the board.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Fredy won a game as Kennen so whether a champion is viable in a situation isn't as important as "Can he carry" and the answer is in most cases yes. Maybe not against FNatic in that match but just in general. It's not like he's an AD Carry trying to play Urgot.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

He's "viable" in the same way that Lucian is "viable," he does what another actual meta pick (Irelia) does but worse across the board.

Since when does Irelia have an aoe knock-up and slow? I think he's bad but the two aren't very similar.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Flameingblack posted:

Fredy won a game as Kennen so whether a champion is viable in a situation isn't as important as "Can he carry" and the answer is in most cases yes. Maybe not against FNatic in that match but just in general. It's not like he's an AD Carry trying to play Urgot.

I feel like Kennen's skills and autos could do no damage and he could still be viable in niche comps.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Firebert posted:

Since when does Irelia have an aoe knock-up and slow? I think he's bad but the two aren't very similar.

He's not bad (well he's bad for competitive but he's ok in general), he's just generic. He fills the same broad auto heavy semi-carry bruiser diver role though except he's generally worse at it than Irelia and Jax and he's really squishy without items.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Firebert posted:

Both champions have a dash and a stun so that makes them the same don'tcha kno

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
EU LCS in five.

FNC - GMB
ROC- ElE
CW - MYM
GIA - UOL
SK - H2K

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
someone pm me if elements are epically throwing so I can watch it on my phone while wrecked ty

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Lightning Knight posted:

Because CLG/TSM was a sloppy solo queue throw-fest that CLG let through their grasp like the perpetual dorks they are. Fnatic v. SK was a pretty, competent game that managed to be both skillful and watchable because they (~gasp~) actually engaged with each other instead of farming up a storm.

If that's what you're looking for in a match, if you don't watch Champions I highly recommend it. To a lesser extent, LPL as well (rattlin' battlin' all day long). You're guaranteed multiple sets like that every week, because they rotate well, target objectives well, and engage when there are opportunities. Frankly, that's the description of most of TSM & CLG's matches not against each other this year as well. I'm not saying it wasn't a good, well played match. I am saying it is not unique to the viewing experience this year and if you would like more of that I would like to help you find it!

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Sexpansion posted:

That H2K - UOL game was actually pretty good, I think both of those teams are very solid.

I feel like the EU LCS breaks down like this:

Tier 1 - FNC and SK
Tier 2 - H2K, UOL
Tier 3 - CW, Giants, Gambit, Roccat
Not an LCS team - MYM

Tier Elements - Elements

Edit: Is this the first season where Sjokz is running the analyst desk? If so this is some sort of silver lining of Joe and Deman leaving. She does pretty well there, of course quikshot does a lot more casting now, so there's that.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 20, 2015

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not too many interesting matchups today:

FNC - GMB
ROC- ElE
CW - MYM
GIA - UOL
SK - H2K

I'm hoping for H2K to at least make it an interesting game, the rest look like stomps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
why is press r comp coming back?

• Locked thread