Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Coward posted:

I'm not running any mods, just a vanilla all-DLC-bar-WoL game. I've never seen this happen, and I'm not sure how it did.

I think this has been posted a couple times, and it's the result of the Pope having a bastard daughter who gets her claim pressed on the Papacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Doing a republic game as Venice 767 start with a custom mongol ruler (because why not). Only mod activated is HIP. I formed Venice into a Kingdom, then created the Kingdom of Croatia just to make sure my vassals wouldn't do that. Sorta noticed after that I can't designate heirs anymore. Ok, so I just destroy that then all should be ok? Designate heir still doesn't show up, even if I console kill the heir and current ruler (seeing if maybe it was stuck?). Any idea on why I can't designate heirs anymore? It's pretty annoying but I guess I was about to quit anyway since I forgot how easy the game is as a republic.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Some Italian family made it's way into India and became full-blown Indian. Hinduism and everything. The remaining Italians in the family are about to inherit Pisa even though the heir is a Prince Bishop.
Unless there's a great coincidence, that's just this history typo.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

DStecks posted:

I think this has been posted a couple times, and it's the result of the Pope having a bastard daughter who gets her claim pressed on the Papacy.

That's what I'd guessed, but she wasn't the daughter of any Pope, but daughter of the King of East Francia/Burgundy/Lotharingia. I can't find any indication that anybody she's descended from came from a Pope so I can't see how she'd have had a Claim. She married the King of France, but he'd been dead 24 years by the time she made Pope. Is it because she's a woman that the game won't give her the title of Pope, but instead "King-Bishop"? It says she was Elected in the History of the Papacy.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It took me three days to observe a 2.3.3 game from the Charlemagne start to 1453. Actually, to 1457 because CK2 didn't kick me out at the end date.
There was one epic hero on the map.

On this 980 shot of a random Irish bishop, who is also a regent and a marshal leading troops, you may notice a bright spot on the coast of the Black Sea. It's the county of Galaz. A Tengri realm, bordering Byzantine.

Meet chief Attila of Galaz in 1055. His rivals have no dress sense.

And that's his new neighbour, chief of Lords of the Sky, where they have awesome hats.

In all of his life Attila got a few points of learning and started balding as the result.

It's 1183 now, and Galaz is ruled by an 11-year old, whose regent is also his heir. Nothing bad can come out of that, I'm sure.

1271, the independent county of Galaz in still alive sandwiched between the Byz and the Golden Horde.

The Horde got beaten up a bit, and in 1352 Galaz finds itself surrounded by the purple, again.

By the way, this is the world in 1352. I have no clue how Hispania got formed. It kept appearing and sinking into Francia regularly. Lords of the Sky have migrated east. Right about now Denmark is massively regretting being the only ones to convert to the Orthodox faith.

In 1366 Byzantine finally notices and holy wars Galaz. Goodbye, great hero.

And now for Europe in 1450.

Ireland is doing really well. So does Francia.

The Kola Peninsula is culturally... Italian? The hell?

In 1451 the Knights of Caltrava appear in the strangest place.

I've got a 1007 save at hand if anyone wants to try living the Galaz way. Also I've got the 1451 save matching the last screenshot, for conversion or something. If anyone wants them tell me where to upload that stuff.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Strudel Man posted:

Unless there's a great coincidence, that's just this history typo.

What's funny is it's that family but it appeared to continue on after I started my game. There's definitely more than that picture shows in my game.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Can anyone explain what happened here? I'm playing as King of Ireland. The island is mostly mine, with an English outpost in Oriel. The king of Scotland goes to war, pressing someone's claim to Ulster. I mishandle the war, oh dear, and have to surrender. The new ruler moves in to Ulster. Turns out it's the wife of Argyll, and her rule of Ulster is independent - the king of Scotland is not her liege. Her husband's rule of Argyll is not independent, if that turns out to be relevant. She has 4 children, and her heir is a 20 year old man, married, but with no children yet.

She's not interested in becoming my vassal -- she's at -77 -- but her son is much better disposed towards me. So I try inviting him to my court. He accepts, and I give him a landed title. So now when his mother dies, he should inherit Ulster and it'll pass back into my kingdom. The only potential problem I can see is if he dies without issue his title would pass out of my kingdom - I think his heir at this point is his father (not in front of the computer to check). However, he's young so it seems to be worth the risk.

Anyway, some time passes and I notice Ulster has turned blue. So the mother has accepted vassalization from the King of Scotland, which is not a surprise. However, when I check up on her, I'm surprised to see her heir has changed - it's now one of her younger children, and my vassal is out of the loop. So what did I miss? How was she able to change heir like that? I can for sure see why her liege might want such a thing to happen, but I don't get the mechanic behind it.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
If Scotland has the right CA to stop titles passing out of the realm through inheritance maybe it resolved that by skipping the heir who would cause that ti happen?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Albinator posted:

Can anyone explain what happened here? I'm playing as King of Ireland. The island is mostly mine, with an English outpost in Oriel. The king of Scotland goes to war, pressing someone's claim to Ulster. I mishandle the war, oh dear, and have to surrender. The new ruler moves in to Ulster. Turns out it's the wife of Argyll, and her rule of Ulster is independent - the king of Scotland is not her liege. Her husband's rule of Argyll is not independent, if that turns out to be relevant. She has 4 children, and her heir is a 20 year old man, married, but with no children yet.

She's not interested in becoming my vassal -- she's at -77 -- but her son is much better disposed towards me. So I try inviting him to my court. He accepts, and I give him a landed title. So now when his mother dies, he should inherit Ulster and it'll pass back into my kingdom. The only potential problem I can see is if he dies without issue his title would pass out of my kingdom - I think his heir at this point is his father (not in front of the computer to check). However, he's young so it seems to be worth the risk.

Anyway, some time passes and I notice Ulster has turned blue. So the mother has accepted vassalization from the King of Scotland, which is not a surprise. However, when I check up on her, I'm surprised to see her heir has changed - it's now one of her younger children, and my vassal is out of the loop. So what did I miss? How was she able to change heir like that? I can for sure see why her liege might want such a thing to happen, but I don't get the mechanic behind it.

What type of inheritance law does she have? And have you considered killing off her other children?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I played slow and finally established the HRE in 1132, from a Charlemagne start as a ruler designer'd-Visigothic Count of Ravenna.

Behold! This HRE even has Rome!

The creation requirements were met by creating a custom kingdom in Italy, having that de jure drift in spots, then usurping the rest of Italy from the Lombard remnants that were still floating around, and nabbing Burgundy.

Thankfully the culture shift events don't check for Visigoths outside of Spain and France, so I'm still properly Visigothic, too.

The Karling blob imploded pretty early on in my game; Charlemagne never got Bavaria and Lombardy, and Saxony successfully revolted. The remainder of the Karling realm eventually split apart, and other dynasties became the successor states. Also, the Germanics managed to reform. Fun times. :toot:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Albinator posted:

My bet is that Scotland has a high enough Crown Authority to stop titles from passing outside their control due to inheritance. In effect, by becoming your vassal that kid got himself disinherited from Scottish inheritance.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just remembered today that my favorite thing about the CK2->EU4 converter is how anything owned by the HRE at lower than Absolute gets broken up into duchies and independent counts, leading to hilariously huge and unstable HREs in EU4. I known the converter sucks but I wonder how hilarious it would be to conquer as much as Europe proper as possible as the normal HRE from say, 1066 or the 1200s or something and then convert it.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

My bet is that Scotland has a high enough Crown Authority to stop titles from passing outside their control due to inheritance. In effect, by becoming your vassal that kid got himself disinherited from Scottish inheritance.

Ah, that makes sense - I didn't know high CA could do that. And it also makes sense then that we'd see that as soon as the mother accepted vassalization from Scotland. First game, as I'm sure you can tell.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Albinator posted:

Ah, that makes sense - I didn't know high CA could do that. And it also makes sense then that we'd see that as soon as the mother accepted vassalization from Scotland. First game, as I'm sure you can tell.

Forgetting to take someone else's CA into account when I'm plotting inheritance shenanigans still trips me up from time to time, and I got this game at launch. It's not strictly a noob mistake, don't feel bad. ;)

e: now I think about it, when that guy's Mom kicks it the kid will probably inherit a claim to the land, so you should at least have CB to go to war if Scotland gets a bit more vulnerable down the road (like going to war with England).

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Larry Parrish posted:

I just remembered today that my favorite thing about the CK2->EU4 converter is how anything owned by the HRE at lower than Absolute gets broken up into duchies and independent counts, leading to hilariously huge and unstable HREs in EU4. I known the converter sucks but I wonder how hilarious it would be to conquer as much as Europe proper as possible as the normal HRE from say, 1066 or the 1200s or something and then convert it.

I converted my game over and my HRE is made of nothing but OPMs it seems. It even broke down the duchies. :psyduck:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

He's king level...

you can have a titular king level title with no holdings? I did not know that. I haven't really messed around very much with unlanding the religious heads though.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 20, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

What's funny is it's that family but it appeared to continue on after I started my game. There's definitely more than that picture shows in my game.
I expect that it's due to rulers/courtiers flocking to a "family member's" court when they lose their existing territory.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I converted my game over and my HRE is made of nothing but OPMs it seems. It even broke down the duchies. :psyduck:

Is this due to those duchies also having low crown authority, or does the splitting only check the HRE crown laws?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

minor_decisions.txt posted:

pre:
hold_zun_feast = {
        potential = {
                has_dlc = "Charlemagne"
                is_ruler = yes
                OR = {
                        is_feudal = yes
                        is_tribal = yes
                }

WHY IS THIS RESTRICTED :argh:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why do i get liberation revolts on Bohemia when it's impossible to create Bohemia?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Why do i get liberation revolts on Bohemia when it's impossible to create Bohemia?

Because proles are so unreasonable.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Edison was a dick posted:

I was about to say because the Zuns are only in 769 but I just remembered they added them into 867.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

I was about to say because the Zuns are only in 769 but I just remembered they added them into 867.

Really? I know they're accessible though the Ruler Designer at any date even if you don't have Charlemagne, but I can't find any characters or provinces that are Zunist in 867+ AD.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Spiderfist Island posted:

Really? I know they're accessible though the Ruler Designer at any date even if you don't have Charlemagne, but I can't find any characters or provinces that are Zunist in 867+ AD.

Never mind, the Zunbils exist, just not their religion.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

You mean to Charlemagne, or to Feudal/Feudal-lite?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Strudel Man posted:

You mean to Charlemagne, or to Feudal/Feudal-lite?

Feudal. I'm currently the Zunist Khazar Grand Prince of the Roman Empire, and while it's nice to be able to submit prisoners to the judgement of Zun, I'd also like to have Zun feasts.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Feudal. I'm currently the Zunist Khazar Grand Prince of the Roman Empire, and while it's nice to be able to submit prisoners to the judgement of Zun, I'd also like to have Zun feasts.

Christian Republics can't have feasts either I'm pretty sure, I remember being confused for a while where the button went.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Ah. Yeah, you're missing out. Can easily be modded, of course.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Hey, so they changed the core interface I guess so that when you click on a province it doesnt show you the max levies etc without hovering over stuff. Is there a way to change this? It's hugely annoying when selecting targets etc to have to do.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I'm getting back into this game, playing the old noob island (started from Dublin, now I'm King of Eire) and it's 1116. As Ireland, without moving to English culture, how should I work out my retinues? I have space for a few and money's coming in pretty nicely. From the looks of it the Skirmish and Light Skirmish ones are pretty good, but I'm not sure how they compare, especially since I can't always rely on the archer tactic.

I already set up a Skirmish retinue by the way, but I have space for 3-4 more to be exact.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 21, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
What do I have to change to make Norse raids not destroy my tradeposts? I'm having to respond within a month or so to stop them before they destroy one of my posts because sieging cities is fast as hell.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

What do I have to change to make Norse raids not destroy my tradeposts? I'm having to respond within a month or so to stop them before they destroy one of my posts because sieging cities is fast as hell.

make them convert - at sword point, or otherwise.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Excelzior posted:

make them convert - at sword point, or otherwise.

I'm in England, they're too far away for that. Plus, they keep destroying trade posts in provinces I don't even own.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I just got independent as duke of flanders and my duke is off inexplicably fighting a war somewhere. I can't assign him to lead my armies or anything, and I can't even see what's happening where he's leading troops on the map due to fog of war. How do I get him back? I need him to hang out in the capital and breed.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

GrossMurpel posted:

Your options are basically sending court chaplains (plural because they're mostly going to be thrown in prison and/or executed) to Norse counties to try to convert their leaders, fabricating a claim on a Norse county to seize and use as a base for launching holy wars into Scandinavia, or repeating "gently caress Vikings" through clenched teeth for the remainder of the game as you suffer three or four raids per month and trade post after trade post falls to the bearded menace.

Should you decide to go with the second option, make sure you wait until you have military organization to 4, otherwise your forces will evaporate in the face of combined winter and pagan homeland attrition penalties. Even after you negate the pagan attrition, winter is still going to kick your butt. While this route can be pretty cathartic, they're not going to stop raiding you until literally every last Norse ruler is deposed or converted. In my last game as an Irish merchant republic, the whole of Scandinavia had converted to Christianity save for a tiny county in the boonies of Finland, and that loving clown raided me every two years like clockwork. Same province every time, to boot. Dude really wanted to loot Gwynned for some reason.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I just got independent as duke of flanders and my duke is off inexplicably fighting a war somewhere. I can't assign him to lead my armies or anything, and I can't even see what's happening where he's leading troops on the map due to fog of war. How do I get him back? I need him to hang out in the capital and breed.
Set theology focus and go on pilgrimage. It'll force him out of command.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Pretty sure you can't go on a pilgrimage if you're commanding troops, even if they're your liege's troops.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Pretty sure you can't go on a pilgrimage if you're commanding troops, even if they're your liege's troops.
Hell. You're right.

That's a tough situation, then.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Spakstik posted:

Your options are basically sending court chaplains (plural because they're mostly going to be thrown in prison and/or executed) to Norse counties to try to convert their leaders, fabricating a claim on a Norse county to seize and use as a base for launching holy wars into Scandinavia, or repeating "gently caress Vikings" through clenched teeth for the remainder of the game as you suffer three or four raids per month and trade post after trade post falls to the bearded menace.

Should you decide to go with the second option, make sure you wait until you have military organization to 4, otherwise your forces will evaporate in the face of combined winter and pagan homeland attrition penalties. Even after you negate the pagan attrition, winter is still going to kick your butt. While this route can be pretty cathartic, they're not going to stop raiding you until literally every last Norse ruler is deposed or converted. In my last game as an Irish merchant republic, the whole of Scandinavia had converted to Christianity save for a tiny county in the boonies of Finland, and that loving clown raided me every two years like clockwork. Same province every time, to boot. Dude really wanted to loot Gwynned for some reason.

I was really hoping there was some file I could edit to make raids not destroy tradeposts. They can destroy entire holdings if they like, but losing a tradepost in another realm after you stopped having so many unlanded guys in your court ist the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't even have a liege anymore! And I already did a pilgrimage. Is there any way to console it or something?

• Locked thread