Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

No no, I did the gelatin + broth but didn't let it gel completely, just added the cool mixture to my filling. Came out... I dunno how to explain the texture but it was incredibly smooth and not very appetizing. My aunt said I should add shrimp bits, chestnuts, and maybe chopped cabbage to crunch up the texture.

This sounds like you mixed liquid into your filling? That just adds moisture to your filling so it doesn't cook into a solid mass which makes it... gross... You have to let your stock gel completely, then run a fork through to break it up into tiny pieces. Then when you're making the bao, put in your filling, and nest in some soup jello. By the time the cubes melt into soup, your filling has gelled into a solid. Some people do mix the filling with the gel (but keep it cool! do it in a stainless steel bowl that you froze in the freezer for 30minutes), so it does work but you have to let things gel.

quote:

I used the biscuit dough after seeing a YT vid of a Chinese American family doing the same thing, but yeah, it just didn't work. May try again this weekend.

Biscuit dough works. My family uses this shortcut all the time and it's delicious. You do need to use the cheap ones, my mom buys hers from Aldi's. They always come out perfectly plump and steamed, with a nice crispy layer on the bottom. Every time I've seen her do it it's just fried gently on low heat, but I'll ask her the exact way she makes them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Rurutia posted:

This sounds like you mixed liquid into your filling? That just adds moisture to your filling so it doesn't cook into a solid mass which makes it... gross... You have to let your stock gel completely, then run a fork through to break it up into tiny pieces. Then when you're making the bao, put in your filling, and nest in some soup jello. By the time the cubes melt into soup, your filling has gelled into a solid. Some people do mix the filling with the gel (but keep it cool! do it in a stainless steel bowl that you froze in the freezer for 30minutes), so it does work but you have to let things gel.

Biscuit dough works. My family uses this shortcut all the time and it's delicious. You do need to use the cheap ones, my mom buys hers from Aldi's. They always come out perfectly plump and steamed, with a nice crispy layer on the bottom. Every time I've seen her do it it's just fried gently on low heat, but I'll ask her the exact way she makes them.

I thought I could put in the gelatin infused liquid because both recipes for shenjian and xiolongbao I saw included adding water to the filling in small batches. Figured I'd kill two birds with one stone.

I thought the biscuit dough tasted fine but even on medium low heat they burned way too quickly.

Since I have your attention, maybe you can answer this. At what point should I add water? How much water? Should I add water like I would with jiaozi, cover, and just try and steam them as much as possible? I really want to make sure the pork is cooked. Literally almost died a few years back from severe food poisoning and will forever be paranoid.

I had a Chinese cook with me who is from Fujian who gave me the impression that he's never had shenjianbao before. "Just fry all sides!"

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Peven Stan posted:

In 20 years lao gan ma will be like sriracha today. They might even have to open a factory of in california to keep up with american demand.

Will residents also demand the factory be shutdown, and then have other cities say, COME TO US! WE WANT THE JOBS YOU BRING! Only to have the original city back down?

I find lao gan ma to be delicious, but the sharpness is a bit different. I wouldn't eat it on its own, but I'd stir fry things in it.

Does anyone have a Szechuan recipe book to recommend? There was this delicious Szechuan restaurant I ate at when visiting family in CA and I really want to eat fish in burning sauce again.

And, I've been eying a cookbook by Eileen Yin-Fei Lo: The Chinese Kitchen. Has anyone tried stuff from the book or other books by her?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I have three or four bottles of Lao Gan Ma but no idea what the Crisp flavor is.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

squigadoo posted:

Does anyone have a Szechuan recipe book to recommend? There was this delicious Szechuan restaurant I ate at when visiting family in CA and I really want to eat fish in burning sauce again.

Land of Plenty by Fuschia Dunlop is the usual tome recommended around here, and I have to say it is very excellent.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

I've been craving some Xi'an style cold noodles (that I remember fondly from growing up there) - something like the "liang pi" noodles at Xi'an famous foods (I mean, just look at these). Any idea how to reproduce the sauce? I'mm guessing chili oil, sesame oil/paste, chinkiang, soy sauce...cumin? anything else? Would I need to fry the spices?

Edit: Actually I just answered my own question by obsessive googling:
http://ladyandpups.com/2014/10/13/xi-an-famous-hot-rice-ribbons/
YES.

plasmoduck fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 21, 2015

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Made red braised pork last night according to mom's recipe for my managerial communications class today. It's loving good.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Thank you to everyone who extolled the virtues of angry granny chili crisp. It is fantastic and I do not know how I lived without it before now.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Peven Stan posted:

Made red braised pork last night according to mom's recipe for my managerial communications class today. It's loving good.

That looks great! Hm I haven't had red braised pork for a while...

Chili oil is amazing! I need to make it more often and put it on everything (like my parents do at home). My tummy does not like it too much but drat it's addicting.

(basically the same thing, the second one is leftover chicken on rice noodles)

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

squigadoo posted:

And, I've been eying a cookbook by Eileen Yin-Fei Lo: The Chinese Kitchen. Has anyone tried stuff from the book or other books by her?

Not Szechuan specific, but someone earlier in the thread posted about Grace Young's Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge, and it's a fantastic beginner's guide to the art of stir frying. Great recipes, both classic Chinese and internationally localised, and a lot of great introductory text and stories. Cheers to whoever it was who posted it. Also, would be great to have a little books section in the OP here!

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

subpar anachronism posted:

Thank you to everyone who extolled the virtues of angry granny chili crisp. It is fantastic and I do not know how I lived without it before now.

Don't forget to use it as a drop-in replacement for oil whenever you want a bit of spice. I recommend roasting vegetables and frying eggs in it.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Karia posted:

Don't forget to use it as a drop-in replacement for oil whenever you want a bit of spice. I recommend roasting vegetables and frying eggs in it.

Well, time to fry everything in chilis forever

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
Anyone have a recipe for Chinese chicken wings? I bought 3 pounds of wings and want to do them sweet and spicy.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

shankerz posted:

Anyone have a recipe for Chinese chicken wings? I bought 3 pounds of wings and want to do them sweet and spicy.

There's a chicken wing thread you might want to browse through
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3676499

also, you may want to google Korean chicken wings

that's all

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
In Chinese cooking videos I see a lot of people who use ladle type instruments instead of spatula type. Is this just preference or does it just work better for some dishes?

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Ladle gets used when there is a lot of oil or juice to continually ladle the hot liquid over the cooking food.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Aero737 posted:

Ladle gets used when there is a lot of oil or juice to continually ladle the hot liquid over the cooking food.

I see. The video of fried rice has him using one, as well as the shredded beef video in the OP. Wasn't sure because it looks effective!

Also another question, can anyone recommend a good wok site/company to look for? My wok was fine as a single person but now that I am cooking for two people it's a bit small.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Shenjianbao was a failure.

Jianbing was a massive loving success.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Also another question, can anyone recommend a good wok site/company to look for? My wok was fine as a single person but now that I am cooking for two people it's a bit small.

I bought my Wok off Amazon about 10 years ago from a store called "The Wok Shop" which is generally a pretty reputable store. They have a storefront in San Fran if you are close by there.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

shaitan posted:

I bought my Wok off Amazon about 10 years ago from a store called "The Wok Shop" which is generally a pretty reputable store. They have a storefront in San Fran if you are close by there.

Thanks, I'm eyeing a 16 inch. Not super into hand hammered though.

One more unrelated question. This stuff

Besides recipes and the general "ON EVERYTHING," what is this stuff good on? Last night I had some pasta and spinach that didn't come out anything like how I wanted so I tossed a tablespoon on a bowl. It was delightfully hot and good. Now I want to find other things it's good with.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Bit of a niche thing, but a tablespoon in the marinade makes really good beef jerky.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Well, anything where you want a bit of spice. Here's an example: http://imgur.com/a/p3VE7

Or you can use it with black vinegar for wontons/gyoza.

I made this last night (I may have used the Instagram to cheat and give it a little more color):

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

^^ that looks so good!

Re: Chili garlic sauce - I add a dab of that to fried rice or chicken-veggie stir fries. If I'm too lazy to make chili oil, I'll use this as a substitute for in my usual Gyoza dipping sauce (vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, pinch of sugar and cilantro).

The bf will use it with any kind of chicken (roasted, deep fried etc)... we usually go through a jar pretty quickly!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I felt inspired to make chinese food last night.

I loved the Hakka food i had when i lived in Guangdong, and one of my favorite simple dishes was the stuffed/fried/braised tofu.

it wasn't quite as good as restaurants and people used to make it there, but it was good, and a dish I hadn't eaten in years, I'm glad I've figured out how to make it now and can experiment!

Also i made some napa cabbage/ginger/pork shui jiao. the smell of black vinegar and ginger really took me back.

Also, does anyone know an online resource to get big, good dried scallops (conpoy, gan bei, what have you) from Hong Kong?

I used to just go to Des Vouex Rd and buy them from the source! My favorite street in the whole world.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

Well, anything where you want a bit of spice. Here's an example: http://imgur.com/a/p3VE7

Or you can use it with black vinegar for wontons/gyoza.

I made this last night (I may have used the Instagram to cheat and give it a little more color):

Thanks for the recipe, I actually have a tenderloin I need to use and I just did comment that I don't make enough things with eggplant. I'll have to half the heat but otherwise looks awesome

plasmoduck posted:

^^ that looks so good!

Re: Chili garlic sauce - I add a dab of that to fried rice or chicken-veggie stir fries. If I'm too lazy to make chili oil, I'll use this as a substitute for in my usual Gyoza dipping sauce (vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, pinch of sugar and cilantro).

The bf will use it with any kind of chicken (roasted, deep fried etc)... we usually go through a jar pretty quickly!

Last time I had potstickers I did mix a spoonful with some soy sauce and it was great.

Thanks for the help guys

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

hakimashou posted:

I felt inspired to make chinese food last night.

I loved the Hakka food i had when i lived in Guangdong, and one of my favorite simple dishes was the stuffed/fried/braised tofu.

it wasn't quite as good as restaurants and people used to make it there, but it was good, and a dish I hadn't eaten in years, I'm glad I've figured out how to make it now and can experiment!

How do you make this?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Thanks, I'm eyeing a 16 inch. Not super into hand hammered though.

One more unrelated question. This stuff

Besides recipes and the general "ON EVERYTHING," what is this stuff good on? Last night I had some pasta and spinach that didn't come out anything like how I wanted so I tossed a tablespoon on a bowl. It was delightfully hot and good. Now I want to find other things it's good with.

Scrambled eggs with some green onions and a splash of soy sauce.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

tonberrytoby posted:

How do you make this?
Didn't make it, but I usually use this recipe: http://thewoksoflife.com/2013/10/stuffed-tofu-hakka-style/

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I went to the store to get the stuff for that pork and eggplant stirfry and totally blew it and forgot green onions. How can I fake it?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Omit it and use your imagination! And your bitter tears.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Here are some gifs of how to fold a standard jiaozi and a chao shou/huntun my company made. I thought they'd be appreciated here:

Jiaozi

In Sichuan we call these Chao Shou 抄手, and they're normally bigger than wontons and not in soup, but coated in a chili and oil sauce. Square wonton wrappers will work all the same, though.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 5, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

tonberrytoby posted:

How do you make this?

https://books.google.com/books?id=L...%20pork&f=false

is the recipe I used more or less.

after you cut the tofu into suitably sized pieces, put it on a rack and dump boiling water over it, or else dunk it in boiling water for a few seconds, it helps to remove the moisture.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Hey, we use the same IKEA bowl for jiaozi filling! :hfive:

My bf and I are both terrible with wrapping up though, so thanks for those gifs, we'll practice those next =)

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Don't buy Thai chilli crisp thinking it will be the same as Angry Lady chilli crisp. It has slices of fried crunchy garlic and sesame seeds. Its still ok though

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

ForkPat posted:

For extra flavor, you can marinade 12 ounces of thinly sliced (par-freezing helps when slicing) beef for one hour in:
1 Tbsp minced ginger
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp rice wine (I use vodka or tequila to mix things up since I can never find rice wine in this podunk town)
1.5 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp sesame oil
.5 tsp salt
pepper

Regardless of the marinade step, stir fry the beef until seared but not cooked through about 1 minute in 1 Tbsp peanut oil. Remove beef, then stir fry the 12 ounces broccoli and med sliced onion in another Tbsp peanut oil, then return the beef and add the sauce (which should be mixed ahead in a bowl to dump in all at once):

2 Tbsp of water or broth
2 Tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp dark soy sauce
1 Tbsp rice wine

Stiry fry 30 seconds or so until beef is done. The book I got this from has you parboil the broccoli but I don't find it necessary. She also has you lightly stir fry some garlic and fermented black beans a little bit before pulling them to the side and adding the beef. You may need to increase the stir fry times if you don't have a high-temp heat source like my outdoor wok burner.

I just made this for dinner tonight. Holy loving poo poo it was amazing. I used saki since it's pretty much the same thing and it was delicious. This recipe is a definite keeper, thanks for sharing it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just had some veggies at a restaurant last night.

It looks plain but the garlic fried choi sum is amazing. The technique, presentation, the amount of oil, the unburned garlic, the length, the fibers/pips removed. The attention to detail is insane for just some fried veggies.

You can also tell that they only used the center bits of each vegetable batch.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
OP that looks beautiful. Now Im hungry!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Can you guys recommend a brand of sesame oil and vinegar?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

caberham posted:

Just had some veggies at a restaurant last night.

It looks plain but the garlic fried choi sum is amazing. The technique, presentation, the amount of oil, the unburned garlic, the length, the fibers/pips removed. The attention to detail is insane for just some fried veggies.

You can also tell that they only used the center bits of each vegetable batch.

The simple greens, done just like you describe, at every meal, is one of the biggest things I miss about China.

Looks wonderful! Jealous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Here's a pic of the broccoli beef right before I took it off the heat. The finished meal was served with white rice as well. I should also mention that it smells amazing as it cooks. Plus it has a great ginger taste.