Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RennZero
Oct 10, 2007

"Get in."

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

In another context this would look cool. I'm just not at all sure what that context would be.

An establishing shot for Star Trek: The Next Generation maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

RennZero posted:

An establishing shot for Star Trek: The Next Generation maybe?

"Captain's Log, Stardate 42069.88. We have discovered a lost human colony inhabited by the descendants of the Earth colony ship Maxis, who have degenerated into a superstitious tribal culture worshiping gods they call 'The Sims'."

Like seriously I've made roofs like that by accident in the construction set.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

These aren't so much architectural failures as they are city planning failures, but putting a decent building in a ridiculous context seems just as bad.

So my adoptive hometown of Swansea in Wales is a fairly small city, with a "city and county" population of 239,000 according to the last census. And even then, it's also rather low-rise and sprawling. As a result, tall buildings tend to stick out like sore thumbs. But that wasn't enough for the planners - they had to make what tall buildings we have stick out even more.

By, say, building them right next to the castle (the BT Tower)

Or on the brow of a hill (the DVLA headquarters)

Or by the beach (the Tower. Yes, I know it's about as unimaginative a name as you can get. You'd think we'd get a bit more creative with the tallest building in Wales...). This photo also features a more genuine architectural failure, the giant mint humbug known as the Civic Centre (previously County Hall)

---

Saying all that, if you do want some actual crazy architecture, here's Cambridge University's Churchill College. Built in the 1960s and 70s (as a national tribute to Guess Who), with all the architectural decisions you might expect from such an era.

My old staircase presents a typical example of Churchillian architecture. It maybe says something about me that, when choosing a college to apply for, I decided to ignore all the ancient, pretty central colleges in favour of Churchill. But hey, by Cambridge standards it's a fairly down-to-earth place, which the architecture probably helps with.

And it has some fun bits, like this Hepworth statue.

And the library and great hall have a certain style to them, even if they do look like giant radiators.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 20, 2015

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Dutch train hubs, unless they are still using the building made pre-war, like Amsterdam Central does, were the ugliest buildings I've ever seen in my life. I say were, cause in the past decade they have embarked on redoing them and making them all glass and shiny. But oh man, there's nothing more depressing than standing around on a cold morning to go to a job you hate while staring at this sort of poo poo. This is all Utrecht Central, but Rotterdam and Den Haag where also brutalist abominations. What made them worse somehow was the way all the extra signage and advertising from the last decades are also just haphazardly crammed into the environment.

Bonus-if you want to go to the center of Utrecht, which is very nice and intact from the 17th century with a very unique canal system, you have to travel through the worlds most claustrophobic mall to get there from the central station

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
The new Rotterdam Central is one of the most beautiful buildings in Holland though, I think.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Inevitable posted:

Sorry about all the deaths and wars and poo poo, but those things were ugly and I'm glad they're gone.

you:re wrong, they were awesome.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So, um, where's the lever for the cheese dispenser?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tawd posted:

May I present the University of Kent's (UK) library?

A 60's-70's redbrick new university that a) was evidently designed to survive the thrid war b) rumored to be earmarked as a prison, if the whole educational thing didn't work out.

it's not very remarkable, i think campus buildings are required to look like that

ours had a buttplug in the foreground

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

I'm Crap posted:

The new Rotterdam Central is one of the most beautiful buildings in Holland though, I think.

Ha, I've never actually seen it from the outside, I only transfer there. The new class canopy is nice, it's such an improvement though over what it used to look like.
Old

New

The Hague Central is still transitioning from this-

to this

I'm pleased as Christmas punch that they are redoing the stations, but like someone mentioned eariler, the next generation will probably gate our shiny glass curvy buildings the same way we hate brutalism. Sunrise, sunset.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

"The Rooms" is a museum and cultural centre looming over St John's, Newfoundland. It's supposed to evoke the old fishing shacks that used to line the coast, but it ends up absurdly dwarfing everything around it, even a cathedral:

lolol

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
yeah, the enormous canadian fishing shack actually owns unironically

Tommy Calamari
Feb 25, 2006

You see, there are three things that spur the mollusk from the sand
The Dutch stations remind me of Euston station in London, where they tore down this...

...to build this.

The platforms have all the charm of a multi-storey carpark:

The destroyed arch is still used as the motif for the station on the Victoria line platforms.

Nearby St. Pancras station narrowly avoided the same fate

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Euston station is so loving dreadful.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Prince Charles, as the head of the national trust endowment of culture or whatev, also really hates brutalism.

"You have to give this much to the Luftwaffe", said Prince Charles in December 1987. "When it knocked down our buildings, it didn't replace them with anything more offensive than rubble."

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

kith_groupie posted:

Prince Charles, as the head of the national trust endowment of culture or whatev, also really hates brutalism.

"You have to give this much to the Luftwaffe", said Prince Charles in December 1987. "When it knocked down our buildings, it didn't replace them with anything more offensive than rubble."

:drat:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Noggin Monkey posted:

TBF it's a pretty sexy building. They're also supposed to be renovating the facade soon to help deal with the reflectivity issue, after several years of throwing tantrums at the Nasher. They still continue to sell units, albeit at a very slow pace.

Apparently both parties have agreed on a "solution" and it will be announced soon, I can't imagine it is limited to adjusting the Nasher roof. Regardless the pension fund is going to take a huge bath on the building because of gross negligence.

quote:

This building is such a poo poo show, but the "civic plaza" out front really takes the cake. It's one of the most brutally oppressive public open spaces in Dallas.

Completely by intentional design, that's what gets me.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Tommy Calamari posted:

The Dutch stations remind me of Euston station in London, where they tore down this...

...to build this.

The platforms have all the charm of a multi-storey carpark:

The destroyed arch is still used as the motif for the station on the Victoria line platforms.

Nearby St. Pancras station narrowly avoided the same fate

Holy poo poo, your heritage society dropped the loving ball on that one.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

Nutsngum posted:

Holy poo poo, your heritage society dropped the loving ball on that one.

I think nyc still holds the record for biggest ball dropped with penn station

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
actually at age 12 i set the record for biggest balls dropped

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

We have a lot of odd, tall, mostly brick-and-sandstone buildings jutting up out of the prarie, but not a lot of brutalism since the suburban growth boom didn't kick off here until the mid-80s. It is, though, home to the University of Kansas and local brutalist icon Wescoe Hall:

It's a failure not only for its style, but for the fact that when it was laid down in the 60s, it was planned to be a multi-story high rise faculty building. A fire in the Student Union, though, demanded funds be reallocated to rebuild, and Wescoe was halted as a 2F building; parking garage and office space on the first floor and basements was renovated into classrooms

They've turned things around recently, though, and I gotta say they did a pretty good job of rehabilitating at least one face of the building:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
How has the Tang Teaching Museum not reared its ugly head here yet?

Front View(?)

Other front view probably

View from the parking lot

It is as bad on the inside as it is on the outside and also the "art" they exhibit is the worst anywhere.

E:

Here's the view from above:

This building is trash and its architect is trash.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 20, 2015

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Applewhite posted:

Hahaha look at those windows, it's the groverseum

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

these are cool.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Applewhite posted:

How has the Tang Teaching Museum not reared its ugly head here yet?

Front View(?)

View from the parking lot

It is as bad on the inside as it is on the outside and also the "art" they exhibit is the worst anywhere.

E:

Here's the view from above:

This building is trash and its architect is trash.

this really is poo poo, like quite possibly the most poo poo building in this thread.

you might not like brutalism but you can see that it's doing something, it has an idea and it's whole hog invested.

this is...

what is this?

nomadologique fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 20, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Skidmore College, where the Tang Museum is located, is actually entirely composed of terrible architecture apparently. Check out these gems:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

nomadologique posted:

this really is poo poo, like quite possibly the most poo poo building in this thread.

you might not like brutalism but you can see that it's doing something, it has an idea and it's whole hog invested.

this is...

what is this?

The Tang makes Brutalism look like Art Deco.

E: check out the inside

It's basically hatred expressed in the form of a building.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 20, 2015

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

I like this :shrug:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Skidmore College, where the Tang Museum is located, is actually entirely composed of terrible architecture apparently. Check out these gems:

All of these are good though.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Darth123123 posted:

I like this :shrug:

It's a very flattering photo but in person it's not great.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

All of these are good though.

I think you only think so because you're looking at them after seeing the Tang, which makes all buildings look good by comparison. It's kinda like the mental equivalent of that bright green spot you see after looking into the sun.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Applewhite posted:

The Tang makes Brutalism look like Art Deco.

E: check out the inside

It's basically hatred expressed in the form of a building.

That's boring but not particularly offensive imo.

This is what my uni decided to do with the architecture studios. Make it look like lovely green Lego. The inside is actually very clumsy as well and the stairs take up a huge amount of useable space, the lights have to always be on because there's almost no natural light and it's just generally a disaster.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Sssssssssssssssssss

BOOM!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Applewhite posted:

I think you only think so because you're looking at them after seeing the Tang, which makes all buildings look good by comparison. It's kinda like the mental equivalent of that bright green spot you see after looking into the sun.

lol, i like the first two, not the third, but it is possible i am suffering from architectural after-image effects.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

teenytinymouse posted:

That's boring but not particularly offensive imo.

This is what my uni decided to do with the architecture studios. Make it look like lovely green Lego. The inside is actually very clumsy as well and the stairs take up a huge amount of useable space, the lights have to always be on because there's almost no natural light and it's just generally a disaster.

this is the new style of the past 10 years.

it's a shame because there's real potential in some of its gestures, but i have never seen them executed quite correctly.

tons of buildings in philadelphia are like this: residential, commercial, and university-affiliated, and none of them have quite done it right. there's only one i can think of that's kinda cool looking.

i have a particular beef with this in philly because it's so popular to "mix" the new textures with old-school brick (lots and lots of older houses in certain parts of philly are a certain style of brick), it's a way of... how to say... camoflauging the new buildings, and making them "pay tribute" to the more traditional buildings... but it's a complete disaster. i'm just so annoyed by it. if you're going to build new, build new, especially in a case like this where the new materials are so radically at odds with the old ones. yeah, there are ways of building new that pay homage to the old (see the hilarious giant fishing shacks) but in this case it's just a totally wrong decision.

nomadologique fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 20, 2015

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Wow, speaking of libraries, Brutalism, and views from above, I present the Perry-Castaņeda Library at UT Austin.

"Sure" you might say, "just another big cement library with weird angles".

My friend, those aren't just weird angles, it's one of the absolute weirdest examples of taking someone's gimmicky idea from a committee meeting and spending millions on it:

See the "PCL" in the top left corner? It's supposed to be shaped.... like Texas. A decision that puts all kinds of weird requirements onto the architect, and is pretty much invisible unless you really squint at a campus map, or you're a campus tour guide who wants to really "wow" incoming freshmen.

EDIT: above story is what I've always heard, but per Wikipedia the university insists that wasn't their intent and its' coincidence...

UT has some pretty kicking rad buildings other than the PCL and a couple other 1970s monstrosities. Here's the interior of PCL contrasted with the interior of the Architecture Library. PCL is the top pic, which is also contrasting the building before and after its hip new transformation:

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 20, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

nomadologique posted:

it's a shame because there's real potential in some of its gestures, but i have never seen them executed quite correctly.

tons of buildings in philadelphia are like this: residential, commercial, and university-affiliated, and none of them have quite done it right. there's only one i can think of that's kinda cool looking.

i have a particular beef with this in philly because it's so popular to "mix" the new textures with old-school brick (lots and lots of older houses in certain parts of philly are a certain style of brick), it's a way of... how to say... camoflauging the new buildings, and making them "pay tribute" to the more traditional buildings... but it's a complete disaster. i'm just so annoyed by it. if you're going to build new, build new, especially in a case like this where the new materials are so radically at odds with the old ones. yeah, there are ways of building new that pay homage to the old (see the hilarious giant fishing shacks) but in this case it's just a totally wrong decision.

I'll admit that I'm not really in the loop when it comes to the architecture scene, but are there even any visionary architects for this generation? The most recent architect who was a household name was Frank Lloyd Wright as far as I know. And the biggest guy before him was Albert Speer.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Oh dear, I decided to check and see what other lovely improvements the uni is getting (renders, as work is happening atm)

Yep, looking good :suicide:

nomadologique posted:

That building is much less than 10 years old. We have a very strong brick terrace vernacular in the area that yeah, is hard to blend into or work with so it's not the modernity I have a problem with its just the fact that it's loving ugly as poo poo and has no windows.

teenytinymouse fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 20, 2015

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

well on the theme of probably bad things that we like anyway, Sky Stations/The Sporks:

most people hate them but they're actually super rad
there is this thing going on with the whole building where cyberpunk, brutalism, and art deco are vomiting all over the place though

Downtown Kansas City in general is laid out in a way that, to me, induces a sort of malaise; just the way the space feels, I wouldn't want to live/work there, despite rad things like the library district and the Art Museum

teenytinymouse posted:

Oh dear, I decided to check and see what other lovely improvements the uni is getting (renders, as work is happening atm)

Yep, looking good :suicide:

sometimes I am pretty sure that colleges and universities are in the pockets of Big Brick:

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 20, 2015

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Applewhite posted:

I'll admit that I'm not really in the loop when it comes to the architecture scene, but are there even any visionary architects for this generation? The most recent architect who was a household name was Frank Lloyd Wright as far as I know. And the biggest guy before him was Albert Speer.

more recent was i.m. pei.

other than that i dunno.

architecture students could tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

teenytinymouse posted:

That building is much less than 10 years old. We have a very strong brick terrace vernacular in the area that yeah, is hard to blend into or work with so it's not the modernity I have a problem with its just the fact that it's loving ugly as poo poo and has no windows.

no i know, most of these buildings are at most 2 years old, but you can find forerunners of the style going back about 10 years.

• Locked thread