Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

First off, for all you know a 5-dot merit actually costs 45xp, not 15xp. After all, you buy the first dot for 3, the second dot for 6...

It just makes more sense that you jump from 0 straight to 5 for 15 xp with the merit, given that there's no such thing as a two or three dot Merit for Sorcery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
However, that makes merit ratings completely useless as a measure of cost or value, because one "five dot" merit might secretly cost up to three times as much as another does.

I'm sure that's actually how it's supposed to work, because after all every single other decision re: Exalted 3E experience points is in fact the most moronic possible one that could have been made, but that doesn't mean it isn't stupid as hell.

EDIT: No, wait, the system for Essence increase is good. Everything aside from that.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 20, 2015

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

However, that makes merit ratings completely useless as a measure of cost or value, because one "five dot" merit might secretly cost up to three times as much as another does.

I'm sure that's actually how it's supposed to work, because after all every single other decision re: Exalted 3E experience points is in fact the most moronic possible one that could have been made, but that doesn't mean it isn't stupid as hell.

EDIT: No, wait, the system for Essence increase is good. Everything aside from that.

Consider, though: if you hand out BP as levelups, then your players will never gain Essence at all... because it requires certain threshold amounts of experience points.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Attorney at Funk posted:

Consider, though: if you hand out BP as levelups, then your players will never gain Essence at all... because it requires certain threshold amounts of experience points.

Or you could make up a chart for Essence to go up based on BP you've given out, which seems like a bit of houseruling well within the ability of anyone who decides that the XP/BP divide is dumb.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
He's got you there.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Bouquet posted:

Or you could make up a chart for Essence to go up based on BP you've given out, which seems like a bit of houseruling well within the ability of anyone who decides that the XP/BP divide is dumb.

Hey, that's clever.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.
Don't all Sorcerors automatically become Thaumaturges as well? That would, by definition, mean Thaumaturgy is more common than Sorcery, since that would make the number of Thaumaturges in the world equal to the entirety of the world's Sorcerors, plus the number of non-sorcerous Thaumaturges on top of that.

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the book explicitly state that people can teach Thaumaturgies to each other? The point of Thaumaturgies appearing spontaneously instead of being discovered initially through study is that it makes all Thaumaturges of a given tradition either descend from some origin point or be a savant - it makes Thaumaturgy into an art instead of a science. It's something with founder-savants and master/apprentice hedge wizards instead of something with laboratories and libraries.

And please, check the book and correct me if I'm misremembering. I'm on my phone, or is do it myself.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

jagadaishio posted:

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the book explicitly state that people can teach Thaumaturgies to each other?

Yes, but you can only learn them if you're (a) a thaumaturge by birth, or (b) initiated as a sorcerer (and thus also a thaumaturge).

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Roadie posted:

Yes, but you can only learn them if you're (a) a thaumaturge by birth, or (b) initiated as a sorcerer (and thus also a thaumaturge).

Not only that, but apparently mortals don't become Thaumaturges on learning Sorcery either. Now that I'm back at a computer, the leak states that the only people with Thaumaturgy are mortals with the Thaumaturgy merit - which can only be acquired at birth, and never during play - and Exalts with Sorcery.

quote:

Mortal sorcerers do not gain this Merit automatically, and it cannot be taught, either to mortals or the uninitiated Chosen.

With that in mind - the fact that Thaumaturgy is a natural-born talent and not something that can ever be learned, whereas Sorcery has a seemingly-endless supply of patrons who can grant it - from Ifrits to demons - schools which can teach it, and even odder ways to acquire it like that one alchemical draught, I expect that there would be far more 3e Sorcerers in Creation than 3e Thaumaturges, even if both are quite rare compared to the population at large.

It's probably a poor idea, with these things in mind, to look at Sorcery and Thaumaturgy in terms of previous-edition fluff/mechanics in any way, since they're clearly fundamentally different beasts from what they once were, with Sorcery's Sorcerous Workings and 'Sorcerous Motes' rendering enlightened essence unnecessary for mortal occultists, and Thaumaturgy's inexplicable rarity and exclusivity.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about that, because I kind of liked the idea of common and low-impact hedge magic, washerwomen knowing a charm to dry laundry faster, etc.

I like that aesthetic too, but the same concept is covered decently enough by most of the prayers people engage in - practically oriented, an integral part of routines - as it would be in much of human history.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

That's pretty much covered in Sorcerous Workings, yeah. Here's what's possible on the very lowest end:

jagadaishio posted:

with Sorcery's Sorcerous Workings and 'Sorcerous Motes' rendering enlightened essence unnecessary for mortal occultists, and Thaumaturgy's inexplicable rarity and exclusivity.

Thinking about it, add (a) a learnable 1-dot Merit that requires Occult 1 and allows Terrestrial Circle sorcerous workings of Ambition 1 (and nothing else), and (b) a learnable 3-dot Merit that allows Terrestrial Circle sorcerous workings of any Ambition (and nothing else), and you've basically just replaced thaumaturgy entirely without needing the dumb point-sink of individual rituals.

It even keeps the "minor magic uses of existing skills" vibe from 2e because Bob the Wizened Old Shoemaker with Occult 1 is going to have a small enough pool he'll be leaning on his higher Abilities as Means as often as he can.

Edit: Also, something to cut the base time down from a week for workings with a goal number under 5, like "officiate a wedding properly so the participants are more likely to have a child" or "baptize a child such that it's protected against spirits for a year" or whatever.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 20, 2015

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Roadie posted:

Thinking about it, add (a) a learnable 1-dot Merit that requires Occult 1 and allows Terrestrial Circle sorcerous workings of Ambition 1 (and nothing else), and (b) a learnable 3-dot Merit that allows Terrestrial Circle sorcerous workings of any Ambition (and nothing else), and you've basically just replaced thaumaturgy entirely without needing the dumb point-sink of individual rituals.

It even keeps the "minor magic uses of existing skills" vibe from 2e because Bob the Wizened Old Shoemaker with Occult 1 is going to have a small enough pool he'll be leaning on his higher Abilities as Means as often as he can.

Edit: Also, something to cut the base time down from a week for workings with a goal number under 5, like "officiate a wedding properly so the participants are more likely to have a child" or "baptize a child such that it's protected against spirits for a year" or whatever.

Remove the existing Thaumaturgy system entirely, rename Sorcerous Workings to Thaumaturgy. Have Thaumaturgist grant access to Terrestrial Circle Thaumaturgy, with a full refund if you go on to purchase the Sorcerer merit. Include a third merit - something like Quick Ritual or what have you - which cases Thaumaturgy to be resolved in a single scene or a single action if you manage to get all the required successes on a single roll.

The result would be that mortal Thaumaturgists would be able to make little tricks and rituals that, without having access to excellencies and such, would be duds more often than successes, unless they're willing to extend them out - which, if you're officiating a wedding, or baptizing a baby, you probably aren't, to be fair. Even an Ambition 1 Terrestrial working requires 5 successes, so only the most expert of mortal Thaumaturges would have a better-than-even chance of actually producing an effect in a single scene, in that situation.

All of this falls apart, though, when you realize that it costs 2, 4, or 8 xp to finish an Ambition 1, 2, or 3 working. Workings are super cool, and offer the kind of flexible ritual-work which Thaumaturgy should be, but they actually do cost an astounding amount to enact. That's the actual point of 3e's Thaumaturgy, as far as I can tell. They're workings that you purchase like spells to be freely spammed, instead of having to spend xp every time you want to use them.

Honestly, the more I look at it, the more I think the Sorcery/Workings/Thaumaturgy system has absolutely enormous potential, but has a ton of rough edges which never got the smoothing they desperately needed. Which, really, is a lot of 3e in a nutshell, from what I can see. A huge improvement as a whole, but there's rough edges and clunky speedbumps everywhere which didn't get the attention they needed.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

jagadaishio posted:

A huge improvement as a whole, but there's rough edges and clunky speedbumps everywhere which didn't get the attention they needed.

If only Holden's lawyers hadn't barred him from taking constructive critique, 3E might have turned out better.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

So it looks like non-Solar excellencies are stronger on average than they had been. DBs can reroll a few failed dice on any roll that they'd spent WP on, Lunars can add two different attributes to a boosted roll rather than just one...

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Roadie posted:

Doing Workings already costs XP, so that's similar in some respects. What seems to have changed in shifting from Thaumaturgy to Workings for minor magic is that everything is much more art than science - unlike thaumaturgical rituals, workings are bespoke, and the initiations you use to get there are likely unique or bargain-based as well. Techniques end up much less repeatable and mass-producible. (And even for spells there's nothing to imply that, for instance, a logistical game-changer like Infallible Messenger is learnable by just anyone.) Meanwhile, the new Thaumaturgy, which retains set rituals, isn't learnable.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

jagadaishio posted:

Honestly, the more I look at it, the more I think the Sorcery/Workings/Thaumaturgy system has absolutely enormous potential, but has a ton of rough edges which never got the smoothing they desperately needed. Which, really, is a lot of 3e in a nutshell, from what I can see. A huge improvement as a whole, but there's rough edges and clunky speedbumps everywhere which didn't get the attention they needed.

It wasn't so much 'the issues didn't get the attention they needed' so much as the Devs were hellbent on having things a specific way, even if it wasn't as good.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

OK so lemme get this straight, a lot of these things cost XP to accomplish? And these are temporary one shot things, and are not along the lines of the old hoary GURPS rule of "if you have a spare character point and you're in real deep poo poo you can spend that character point and recover all your HT"? And you still gain XP in the order of a handful per session, leaving aside all this poo poo with Crafting XP and what not?

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Nessus posted:

OK so lemme get this straight, a lot of these things cost XP to accomplish? And these are temporary one shot things, and are not along the lines of the old hoary GURPS rule of "if you have a spare character point and you're in real deep poo poo you can spend that character point and recover all your HT"? And you still gain XP in the order of a handful per session, leaving aside all this poo poo with Crafting XP and what not?

Ah, but you see Thaumaturgy and Sorcery workings have their costs paid in purple XP so it's all ok.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If your expenditure on a sorcerous working is invalidated, because somebody broke your new Unconquered Sun Mark II or something, you get the XP back.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Yeah, so they're currently like buying merits with XP, where you get a refund if you lose it. I'd probably personally allow a certain number free per narrative arc and also allow for Bureaucratic Workings, Military Workings, et cetera.

A big part of me honestly wishes "Workings" was the only craft/project system in 3e.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

If your expenditure on a sorcerous working is invalidated, because somebody broke your new Unconquered Sun Mark II or something, you get the XP back.
But why use "XP" for this at all? I guess you have a certain narrative trope accuracy here, where if someone murders the village full of people who I dropped 2 xp blessings on, I immediately get enough XP to become a karate master and seek revenge. But I suspect that's an accident.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nessus posted:

But why use "XP" for this at all? I guess you have a certain narrative trope accuracy here, where if someone murders the village full of people who I dropped 2 xp blessings on, I immediately get enough XP to become a karate master and seek revenge. But I suspect that's an accident.

I would no poo poo love a game where that was intentional.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

It's not really consistent with the rest of the game, because for instance artifacts require no XP to make and story merits require no XP to finalize. It reads to me like the simplest way they could think of to stop players from performing sorcerous workings constantly - but why they'd do that after doing totally different things with merits and crafts projects, I have no idea.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

Nah, Sorcerous Workings are supposed to be permanent changes to the setting, though if the spell ever gets undone (or an Abyssal decides to just SMASH everything) you're refunded the experience you used to pay it at the end of the story. It's an investment, but it's not a permanent one if it's no longer useful to you or someone else decides to destroy it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Night10194 posted:

I would no poo poo love a game where that was intentional.

I know as someone new to the series I'm not as jaded as others but I can't see how this isn't exactly how it works.

"I blessed this town and you wiped it out, now I'm going to gently caress you right up with the kung fu power of revenge I got".

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I know as someone new to the series I'm not as jaded as others but I can't see how this isn't exactly how it works.

"I blessed this town and you wiped it out, now I'm going to gently caress you right up with the kung fu power of revenge I got".

Pretty much. I had an idea of a kindly old sage weeping as he lets his beloved homeland deteriorate into a wasteland again, to gain the strength to defeat an invading army.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That is how it works, the point is more that it's probably unintentional coolness rather than intentional design.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

My god, the late piece of chapter fiction about Chejop Kejak is amazingly bad.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

My god, the late piece of chapter fiction about Chejop Kejak is amazingly bad.

What does Ketchup do on it?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Nothing. He just has poorly-written thoughts about poorly-described events and then teleports away.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Nothing. He just has poorly-written thoughts about poorly-described events and then teleports away.

*tears of nostalgia fills my eyes*

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Who among us can't say the same?

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
He shouldn't be allowed to be a sig anymore, imo.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Chejop Kejak's great in a world in which Essence 6+ just means you have a bigger essence pool and maybe a few weird personal tricks rather than double everyone else's combat stats and access to on-demand Banshee's Wail.

Here's something funny: the firewand rules state A) that a charm can't extend a firewand's range unless that Charm explicitly says it can, and B) that a charm can't extend a firewand's past medium, period, ever. I wonder how many books we'll go before a charm tries to let you make a long-ranged firewand attack.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Here's something funny: the firewand rules state A) that a charm can't extend a firewand's range unless that Charm explicitly says it can, and B) that a charm can't extend a firewand's past medium, period, ever. I wonder how many books we'll go before a charm tries to let you make a long-ranged firewand attack.

Baby's first Death Ray.

Also, if I can't build some kind of fiery tornado siege cannon fueled with barrels and barrels of firedust and red jade, something has failed in the system.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Don't worry, while there will never be a charm that extends a firewand's range past medium, there will be one that lets you treat long-range opponents as though they were medium-ranged, a charm that lets you stretch the firewand's barrel out really far, etc.

Seriously, though, I have to reiterate how unmitigatedly awful the pre-armory chapter fiction is. Go read it, it's some Mr. Shivers poo poo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Does someone get a handjob in it?

e: the chapter fiction I mean, the armory section can be construed as a HJ for crafters

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Mile'ionaha posted:

Baby's first Death Ray.

Also, if I can't build some kind of fiery tornado siege cannon fueled with barrels and barrels of firedust and red jade, something has failed in the system.

The game would have to acknowledge sieges first.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Chejop Kejak's great in a world in which Essence 6+ just means you have a bigger essence pool and maybe a few weird personal tricks rather than double everyone else's combat stats and access to on-demand Banshee's Wail.

I'm ok w him mechanically or other elder sidereals, I'm just talking about him as a setting fixture. They need to have a better leader of the Bronze faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like Carjack, but I suspect the version in my head has long ago stopped being the one the writers think about.

• Locked thread