Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Internet Kraken posted:

...how do you get tetanus from a book? :confused:

It gave her some bad tips on armor maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Internet Kraken posted:

There was a really rusty bookmark in it

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Even better is getting syphilis from a trap.

No, look, I got it from inspecting this weird bookshelf, I swear!

*sanitarium doctor raises eyebrow incredulously*

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
am i the only one who puts the bounty hunter in the back?

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Bound with rusty nails.

This game is cool and they should pick two or three of the overly RNG things to retune to make it amazing. Like turn order really gets on my tits, especially since all the most obnoxious mobs who double- or triple-dip on stress always go first and most. Even a Divinity style tracker where I could at least see who is next would be an improvement.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It'd be nice if at least marked who has already moved that round so there's no confusion when formations have more than one of the same enemy. Trying to keep track of which dog has already tried to maul you that turn can be tricky.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Whatever the cause I'm sure it'll lead to some really interesting articles in medical journals.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Internet Kraken posted:

Metallic ink? :iiam:

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Internet Kraken posted:

It'd be nice if at least marked who has already moved that round so there's no confusion when formations have more than one of the same enemy. Trying to keep track of which dog has already tried to maul you that turn can be tricky.

Dogs are easy, since their lunge takes them to position 1. Just aim for the back. I agree in general, though.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Teslavi posted:

Dogs are easy, since their lunge takes them to position 1. Just aim for the back. I agree in general, though.

Doesn't help when there are 4 dogs though

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

For party comp I feel maxing out roster size is more important than what actually goes in the party, since it's pretty easy to build a team that works well enough. The holy trinity is always a safe bet, though I really like two grave robbers with lunge and a jester with solo, dirk, and ballad. Vestal sits behind and heals while they dance all over the place. It can get dicey since none of them have much health, but they can kill anywhere and opening with a double shadow fade is stupid amounts of dodge.

I got into a self-imposed situation where I didn't want to risk my good level 1 guys/have them level up, but wasn't getting any really "easy" dungeons to help refill my coffers. That basically lead to me hiring whatever 4 schmucks were on the wagon, tossing them into a group, and seeing how far they got. It's actually not a bad way to get a feel for how classes interact, and avoid getting stuck in the rut of "I must have class X for my team or else". I do feel a little bad for all the new guys who ended up dying, but I just wanted to see if they could clear one more room...

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

As has been said before, retreat retreat retreat. Death with newbies and the callous building this game has is such an interesting part of it, though since they're newbies, it's low risk losing them.

For example with playing cautiously, I took my newly upgraded level 3 A team into the veteran hag and realized quickly there was no way I could kill her. I have pretty good scout though, so I just avoided her fight and made money on the run exploring the rest of the dungeon and quitting. Holy poo poo are dogs hard to hit, and yes my skills are level 3. Standard comp of vestal, highwayman, hellion, crusader.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I've seen several people mention that the game feels "shallow." For those of you who feel that way, how much of that shallowness is supposed to be patched before the full release? Is it fundamentally shallow, or shallow only because it's in Early Access?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
More monsters and dungeons would fix 80% of the shallowness concerns i feel. That is explicitly on their early access roadmap.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kestral posted:

I've seen several people mention that the game feels "shallow." For those of you who feel that way, how much of that shallowness is supposed to be patched before the full release? Is it fundamentally shallow, or shallow only because it's in Early Access?

Only time will tell, but tons of Early Access games are barely even in an alpha state when they go public. This has the entire core of the game nailed. All it needs is some balance and some content. That's it. The framework of the game is there and it loving works. For some game design that can be the hardest part. They can pretty easily schedule more content, looking at the rate they develop new art and enemy mechanics, and just crank that poo poo out.

I'm not expecting it to turn into a long AAA game; I don't think it'll ever be anything more than an FTL-like game in that respect, but I do have high hopes for them adding a few more characters, a lot more enemies, a lot more quests, a couple more dungeons and a lot more amulets and abilities. And that could be all the game needs.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Coolguye posted:

More monsters and dungeons would fix 80% of the shallowness concerns i feel. That is explicitly on their early access roadmap.

And one or two more healing classes. For instance: A frontliner that instead of healing provides protection to the other characters to prevent damage in the first place. Maybe a class that heals the party based on some kind of debuff attack, i.e. they put a debuff on an enemy and then attacks that hit that enemy also heal the attacker a small amount or something. Basically a shield guy and a warlock/vampire guy. Vestals taking up a spot in every party gets old quick, especially when that means you should be maintaining several Vestals at different levels and cycling through them essentially. Occultists need a little buff to their healing prowess so they can be used as a primary healer at higher levels.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zaphod42 posted:

Only time will tell, but tons of Early Access games are barely even in an alpha state when they go public. This has the entire core of the game nailed. All it needs is some balance and some content. That's it. The framework of the game is there and it loving works. For some game design that can be the hardest part. They can pretty easily schedule more content, looking at the rate they develop new art and enemy mechanics, and just crank that poo poo out.

I'm not expecting it to turn into a long AAA game; I don't think it'll ever be anything more than an FTL-like game in that respect, but I do have high hopes for them adding a few more characters, a lot more enemies, a lot more quests, a couple more dungeons and a lot more amulets and abilities. And that could be all the game needs.

Darkest Dungeon is far more of a game than FTL is. This is coming from someone with over 200 hours in FTL, DD has way, way more agency and control than FTL will ever have, I can enter a zone in DD and not be doomed from the very beginning without a chance, which is still an issue with FTL and unlucky starting jumps.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Chard posted:

Doesn't help when there are 4 dogs though

It doesn't matter how many dogs there are. If one has attacked, it will be in slot 1. If two have, they'll be in 1 and 2. If three have, they'll be in 1, 2 and 3. If you're trying to stun or kill dogs that haven't yet acted, you aim for the backline. You don't even have to keep track, just aim as deep as your skills allow.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Aw man just lost my first dude that I actually cared about, level 3 Leper (and the only one I have at all in fact) to my occultist rolling a zero while he had a bleed already. Bummer, think he had a trinket on as well in addition to his levelled skills and weapons/armour.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Captain Invictus posted:

Darkest Dungeon is far more of a game than FTL is. This is coming from someone with over 200 hours in FTL, DD has way, way more agency and control than FTL will ever have, I can enter a zone in DD and not be doomed from the very beginning without a chance, which is still an issue with FTL and unlucky starting jumps.

I get that FTL is hard, but the fact that there are people with dozen+ game win streaks on hard kinda disproves your point.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I gave up on FtL after just getting massacred out of nowhere by those mantis boarding parties.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

FTL will absolutely throw you BS unwinnable situations, but when it isn't doing that it still takes some amount of skill. More than this game, I think. Darkest Dungeon will probably turn out to be a better game though, regardless of how deep it ends up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Eschatos posted:

I get that FTL is hard, but the fact that there are people with dozen+ game win streaks on hard kinda disproves your point.

I'm one of those people. But I will freely say that it is very common if you're not in one of the best of the best ships in FTL that a bad roll in the first sector will completely ruin your run. Yes I know about that dude on twitch who streams FTL every single day and never ever dies or whatever. He's an outlier, while most people once they get the hang of DD can at least limp through dungeons.

Snow Job posted:

FTL will absolutely throw you BS unwinnable situations, but when it isn't doing that it still takes some amount of skill. More than this game, I think. Darkest Dungeon will probably turn out to be a better game though, regardless of how deep it ends up.
That's exactly what I'm saying, though. DD isn't really similar to FTL because in FTL, there can be certain situations that are absolutely hopeless from the start, while I've never had a DD run where I didn't have options or a way out at least.

I'm not hating on FTL. I'm just saying they're not really comparable.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm one of those people. But I will freely say that it is very common if you're not in one of the best of the best ships in FTL that a bad roll in the first sector will completely ruin your run. Yes I know about that dude on twitch who streams FTL every single day and never ever dies or whatever. He's an outlier, while most people once they get the hang of DD can at least limp through dungeons.

That's exactly what I'm saying, though. DD isn't really similar to FTL because in FTL, there can be certain situations that are absolutely hopeless from the start, while I've never had a DD run where I didn't have options or a way out at least.

I'm not hating on FTL. I'm just saying they're not really comparable.

They're both really good kickstarter games?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

What sort of skill loadouts are you guys using on your Plague Doctors? I'm curious enough to give one a try, but I really feel stuck when using her. I feel like she straddles this weird divide between damage and support, but isn't really adequate for either. I feel very comfortable using any other class, but the Plague Doctor's purpose in a party completely eludes me. Do I basically have to hold out until I get her into level 5 dungeons so I can get the full benefit of her DoTs, or can I make her work in the meantime?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I had no idea about the Kickstarter way back in the day, so I never knew it existed until the game was up on early access on Steam. It's interesting looking at the kickstarter page and trailers now and seeing all the little art changes they made. The town especially, where before it looked like the town options were lined up horizontally and you scrolled through them and now they're all nice and compact on one map. Or when a character gets 100 stressed in a dungeon, instead of the cool dynamic pose they get ingame now, before it was just a close up of the character with the stress icon over him. It's interesting seeing the like. alpha art before they finalized on a lot of the stuff.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The best loadout i have found is the front slot plague bomb, blinding powder, battlefield medicine, and emboldening vapors. But she fills a very specific slot in an AoE based squad that really really benefits from vapors, and uses an occultist for primary healing (and thus her bleed healing is also important).

..or rather, she did until just last night. Rip Montecute, you were too cute for this world.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

AngryBooch posted:

And one or two more healing classes. For instance: A frontliner that instead of healing provides protection to the other characters to prevent damage in the first place.
My guess is this is what the Man at Arms is going to be, maybe? Just look at that shield! I love a good tank class.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Irony.or.Death posted:

I know this is probably obvious in retrospect, but that's a really good cue to abort the run.

I should have, yeah. But I figured if the next battle was with anything but dogs I'd have been able to heal in time since I had an occultist and vestal who regularly got to go first. But nope, dogs. I hate pretty much everything about the dogs, especially the noise they make. They sound more like a dog being beaten when they attack, than an angry dog attacking.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I haven't lost anyone I care about yet, and I know it's coming now that I've realized it. Hearing about other people losing characters just makes realize that I love all my precious babies, and the game just wants to take them away from me. :ohdear:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I love all my precious babies, and the game just wants to take them away from me. :ohdear:

Fools. And corpses.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

I gave up on FtL after just getting massacred out of nowhere by those mantis boarding parties.

At least FTL had difficulty options.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
FTL is absolutely a game where you can get RNG screwed but its also designed around relatively short games. You can only get RNG screwed with most ships in the first sector and starting over there might be annoying but its definitely not a big deal. After that if you get killed its probably your own fault. I know it sure as hell is mine, mainly because I fall victim to the sunk cost fallacy and stay in fights I honestly shouldn't.

Darkest Dungeon plays so differently from FTL though I'm not sure where the comparison even comes from, other than them both being strategy games with roguelike elements. That's a tenuous connection at best.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Internet Kraken posted:

Darkest Dungeon plays so differently from FTL though I'm not sure where the comparison even comes from, other than them both being strategy games with roguelike elements. That's a tenuous connection at best.
Exactly!

I haven't lost anyone I care about yet, and I know it's coming now that I've realized it. Hearing about other people losing characters just makes realize that I love all my precious babies, and the game just wants to take them away from me. :ohdear:
I started out with the standard Reynauld. He was my first level 3 hero, as well. Then in a disastrous dungeon run, all three of my other party members died in short order except for him, and he held his own against three enemies, taking Death's Door after Death's Door, killing two of the three before finally being dragged down by the last skeleton. At least he went down with a fight!

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
"Town events" were one of the kickstarter stretch goals, and I'm hoping there's going to be some substance there beyond the stuff that happens in the recovery areas. Invasions/etc seem likely, both from how much it's been requested and because they're likely going to want to leverage the time passing mechanic.

Also, there was a Dev stream a week or so ago (Redhook_Chris I believe, one of the artists; with one of the devs gleefully trolling him during his failure spiral) where they said the tree in town will be where the glossary of events/creatures will be located. It's also fairly likely that some/all of that will be narrated (going by some positive responses on Twitter to such inquiries)

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Captain Invictus posted:

I started out with the standard Reynauld. He was my first level 3 hero, as well. Then in a disastrous dungeon run, all three of my other party members died in short order except for him, and he held his own against three enemies, taking Death's Door after Death's Door, killing two of the three before finally being dragged down by the last skeleton. At least he went down with a fight!
These kind of stories are why I rarely ever use retreat. Well that and stubbornness. It's so exhilarating when you can salvage a bad run, I like to hold out the hope that one of my party will rally and turn things around. It doesn't seem to happen for me all that often though!

I lost my first A-Team Hellion recently, a level 4. Thankfully I have another Level 4 I've been alternating runs with. I was able to finish the rest of the dungeon, as I was near the end, but that's the first high level A Team person I've lost.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

RubberBands Hurt posted:

"Town events" were one of the kickstarter stretch goals, and I'm hoping there's going to be some substance there beyond the stuff that happens in the recovery areas. Invasions/etc seem likely, both from how much it's been requested and because they're likely going to want to leverage the time passing mechanic.

Also, there was a Dev stream a week or so ago (Redhook_Chris I believe, one of the artists; with one of the devs gleefully trolling him during his failure spiral) where they said the tree in town will be where the glossary of events/creatures will be located. It's also fairly likely that some/all of that will be narrated (going by some positive responses on Twitter to such inquiries)

Oh man I hope so. The narration might be my favorite part about the game.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

RubberBands Hurt posted:

I think it would be pretty cool if town events added to the difficulty. For example, you could come back from a dungeon run all stressed out and wounded, only to find the town under attack! And you have to do a shorter dungeon run, but this time in town, by visiting every building and saving the roster heroes that are trapped in there.

They could also make this event more likely to occur when you abandon a dungeon run, i.e. "when our heroes retreated from the dungeon, the monsters pushed their advantage and counter-attacked!" It would make it so that abandoning a dungeon run isn't a simple get-out-of-jail card.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Macaluso posted:

Oh man I hope so. The narration might be my favorite part about the game.

It's pretty great most of the time but MAN some of the deliveries suck. The one that happens whenever you go through a blockade in the Weald sounds like he's choking on his drink halfway through and never recovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Narration was the first thing I turned off.

Just like the character speech bubbles, it's cool at first, but gets old fast once you start hearing the same lines over and over.