Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
drat that sucks for Bosh. Vogel said last year that the Channing/Dragic pick and roll was really hard to cover, so him and Bosh together woulda been fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
All signs point to the Heat resigning Dragic so at least we'll see plenty of Dragic and Bosh for the next few years. Hopefully Dragic/Whiteside and the occasional healthy Wade is enough to stay in the playoffs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

nachos posted:

All signs point to the Heat resigning Dragic so at least we'll see plenty of Dragic and Bosh for the next few years. Hopefully Dragic/Whiteside and the occasional healthy Wade is enough to stay in the playoffs.

This race somehow gets sadder every year.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

The bright side is that the east is so bad that the idea of every non playoff team having equal lottery odds is closer to true than ever before. Detroit is 3 games out of the playoffs and is 10th in the draft.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

BWV posted:

Perkins is garbage. His best skill, which I guess people say is post-defense is basically useless against 90% of teams. Also he is good at tricking coaches into giving him minutes, which takes playing time away from guys who can actually catch a ball.

Perkins is a relic from the age where teams thought you had to go through Dwight Howard and the Gasol/Bynum front court to win a championship

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Tae posted:

Next year the Eastern Conference playoffs might finally become watchable. You'll have Cleveland, Chicago, and Atlanta at the top, with some actually not terrible teams like Toronto, Washington, Indiana, and Miami filling out the rest of the seeds. If Milwaukee continues to improve we may even have no teams under .500 playing!

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Sheriff posted:

Next year the Eastern Conference playoffs might finally become watchable. You'll have Cleveland, Chicago, and Atlanta at the top, with some actually not terrible teams like Toronto, Washington, Indiana, and Miami filling out the rest of the seeds. If Milwaukee continues to improve we may even have no teams under .500 playing!

Two of those teams will end up with catastrophic injuries, one of them will implode in the first third of the season, and we'll once again have 5 playoff teams, maybe some of which are worth watching, alongside 3 also-ran yet wholly sub-par teams who can barely make a first round series competitive against that already uninspiring top table like we always get in the East.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The Memphis/ Golden State wcf is going to be really good

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Charlotte will probably be above .500 next year if this is the magical offseason where they find a shooting guard that can shoot

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Igor Strelkov posted:

The Memphis/ Golden State wcf is going to be really good

It'll suck if a really good GSW team loses in the first round to a galvanized thunder team. We believe thunder!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Lockback posted:

It'll suck if a really good GSW team loses in the first round to a galvanized thunder team. We believe thunder!

I think you mean it'll be awesome, looking forward to the KJ McDaniels/Enes Kanter showdown in Houston we'll give you the whole seat but you'll only need the edge

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

It seemed for a while last night that it was a straight up deal so I wasn't sure if you knew :shobon:

Also the Thunder could pass the Spurs. They're only 5 back with 27 to go.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
The top six of the east is alright, but the bottom two are terribad. Hope Toronto can hang onto the two seed.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Honestly I think Dragic is enough to make Miami not terribad

oh right no bosh lol

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 20, 2015

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i can't find the sports betting thread, but for anybody that has an NBA itch:

a parlay of golden state & portland is roughly 2/1 tonight to win tonight, which seems like easy money given the odds and the situational stuff (spurs on 2nd game of back2back, kanter being traded)

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

If Philly pulls off a Harden-like deal it won't be anyone currently available. It could be John Wall in a couple years when Pierce, Gortat, and Nene are broken and useless. It could be Lillard after Aldridge and Lopez's knees finally succumb and Damian alienates the fans by stating that there are only 2 genders on 4bar friday. It could be Jimmy buckets after he chokes Thibs out.

But really if Philly drafts well they might not need a deal like that.

Hey it could be a guy completely off anyone's radar now, but needs a change of scenery, I just don't know who yet. Theoretically though on say the Wiz for example, Bradley Beal could be that guy (don't crucify me if he's actually terrible for other reason's not in his stats).

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

a parlay of golden state & portland is roughly 2/1 tonight to win tonight, which seems like easy money given the odds and the situational stuff (spurs on 2nd game of back2back, kanter being traded)

seems like it's a good bet until you realize it's on the NBA. NBA parlays always fail.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm legit worried about toronto facing the Bucks

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm super confused why Dragic is considered such a game changer. He is like a .12 WS/48 player this season and has had his best seasons playing next another ball dominant point guard. Obviously he is leagues better than Cole or Chalmers, but Dragic is not even in the top 20 in PER for point guards.

The Heat are still gonna be bad, even if Bosh doesn't go down for the season.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I dont think Dragic's year right now, buried in a role he doesnt like or is good at, is a good indication of his talent

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I didn't realize this at all yesterday, but Pablo on the Rockets means we finally have an Argentine on the team again. For those of you who don't know, having a guy who writes nice bilingual compliments on twitter all the time is good for team morale. Scola, Delfino and now Prigioni, the Rockets will finally be able to defeat 2004 Team USA.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm super confused why Dragic is considered such a game changer. He is like a .12 WS/48 player this season and has had his best seasons playing next another ball dominant point guard. Obviously he is leagues better than Cole or Chalmers, but Dragic is not even in the top 20 in PER for point guards.

The Heat are still gonna be bad, even if Bosh doesn't go down for the season.

Mostly because he made the Suns pretty good offense pop while being extremely efficient last year. I'd be nervous about giving him the kind of money he wants, but he definitely would've improved them this season, y'know if Bosh hadn't gotten blood clots. Also I'm now reminded that Chalmers is still on the team, are we gonna get some hilarious temper tantrums from him about Dragic getting his touches?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

How much do you value second game of back to backs? From just a cursory glance and my intuition it doesn't seems like it's that bad. I think the biggest reason teams do poorly is on those is because they're usually on the road, not because of fatigue. 4 in 5 is much worse, which is also another dataset that fits in to the second game but is much worse than just being a second game of a back to back.

I'd expect Golden State to be rusty and the Spurs to have tuned up a bit, but GS is clearly a better team. I don't know if I'd call the money "easy".

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

chunkles posted:

Mostly because he made the Suns pretty good offense pop while being extremely efficient last year. I'd be nervous about giving him the kind of money he wants, but he definitely would've improved them this season, y'know if Bosh hadn't gotten blood clots. Also I'm now reminded that Chalmers is still on the team, are we gonna get some hilarious temper tantrums from him about Dragic getting his touches?

I dunno, I more inclined to believe last year was the outlier, not this year.

Here are his win shares over the past 5 seasons

seems like he's just regressing to his norm more than he is unhappy.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

He broke out towards the end of his career as a Rocket when Kyle Lowry went out and he's been the driver of a pretty good offense for the last two years. The arguments for why he is good generally revolve around that the Suns top 10 offense went in the shitter when they let Eric Bledsoe or anyone else run it. He also had a pretty awesome pick and roll game with Channing Frye that he presumably would've picked up with Chris Bosh. All that being said, I'm glad I'm not the one who has to try and convince him to give some of his paycheck to Hassan Whiteside.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Do Not Bet On Basketball

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

chunkles posted:

He broke out towards the end of his career as a Rocket when Kyle Lowry went out and he's been the driver of a pretty good offense for the last two years. The arguments for why he is good generally revolve around that the Suns top 10 offense went in the shitter when they let Eric Bledsoe or anyone else run it. He also had a pretty awesome pick and roll game with Channing Frye that he presumably would've picked up with Chris Bosh. All that being said, I'm glad I'm not the one who has to try and convince him to give some of his paycheck to Hassan Whiteside.

If Whiteside is going to command more than an MLE type salary Miami won't be have any advantage to signing him and will need to fit him under the cap, which seems really doubtful right now. No bird rights, I love the NBA.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Lockback posted:

If Whiteside is going to command more than an MLE type salary Miami won't be have any advantage to signing him and will need to fit him under the cap, which seems really doubtful right now. No bird rights, I love the NBA.

Isn't the cap expected to explode in 2016 when Whiteside becomes a FA?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Are they talking about his Vertical?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Lockback posted:

They only have Bosh and McBob on the books right now for 2016.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

You should create one. Please create one.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

the_american_dream posted:

You should create one. Please create one.

before I went bust I used the thread in TFF to talk gambling. Most of the degenerates posters there bet other sports than football and post all about them.

It was real fun but I told myself that after I lost $100 I would get out. Was a solid ride though, that $100 turned into over 5K of action.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Bashez posted:

How much do you value second game of back to backs? From just a cursory glance and my intuition it doesn't seems like it's that bad. I think the biggest reason teams do poorly is on those is because they're usually on the road, not because of fatigue. 4 in 5 is much worse, which is also another dataset that fits in to the second game but is much worse than just being a second game of a back to back.

I'd expect Golden State to be rusty and the Spurs to have tuned up a bit, but GS is clearly a better team. I don't know if I'd call the money "easy".
Nothing in basketball betting is guaranteed, but an old team on the second night of a back-to-back away from home against a fast-paced, thus far superior, team is good mugga.

But enough of this derail. If you guys want a new gambling thread im down to make one

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You can make a general sports betting thread in SAS, we've had one before several times.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The new issue of SI has an article on Steve Kerr. Here are two quotes from the article that highlight a key difference in Jackson and Kerr's coaching.

"While Jackson excelled as a leader, he was not interested in the minutiae of coaching, according to sources familiar with the situation. He so rarely watched film that the video team eventually stopped loading clips onto his laptop"

"Kerr is a believer in process and preparation. He asks his video staff to load the previous five games of every opponent on his laptop.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Saying he excelled as a leader seems pretty lame, even by sports journalism standards. Obviously some of the players liked him but his incredibly toxic personality resulted in two assistants leaving in the middle of a playoff contending season.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

quote:

The cliquish aspect was impossible not to notice. Jackson, Perry Jones and Jeremy Lamb all had lockers together on one side; Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka were on the other. Jackson, Lamb and Jones are close, shooting pregame together and often leaving the arena together. All three had also fallen out of favor with Brooks.

When the Thunder acquired Waiters, his locker was initially placed next to Jackson's, alongside Lamb and Jones. He spent two games in that location before Durant and Westbrook requested he be moved across to the other side, next to them. The official reason was said to be for integration purposes, to help Waiters get to know the team's leaders and learn from them. But it's hard not to see it as an attempt to move him away from one clique and into another.

Oh!

hitze fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 20, 2015

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
So Kerr watches 5 games to prepare for every one? That's pretty dedicated. Really impressive actually.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

No way Jackson didn't watch game film often. That's insane. Even the most neanderthal coaches at least seem to obsess about game film.Watching film is the most stereotypical coach-y thing imaginable. What was he doing with his time then? Running suicides and doing team building exercises?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
lmao

https://twitter.com/UpTheThunder/status/568762225181073408

• Locked thread