Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
To be honest, I've used a can of Pringles to keep pasta. Then again, it's at the back of my pantry, not proudly displayed like an amazing life hack. Walá!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Metal is a better heat conductor than air.

And now I have to wash three pans instead of just one. What a timesaver!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's probably the only aluminum cookware that the lifehacker had on hand. Aluminum is the same material they make cpu heatsinks out of, and they use it because it has really high thermal conductivity. If you want really good results, get ahold of an aluminum baking sheet. It's thin and has more surface area exposed to the air, so it will work faster. Also you can put the food on the surface you intend to cook it on and not smear it all over the bottom you hosed up idiot trash

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The bottoms of my pans are normally pretty grungy, I wouldn't want to put raw meat on there too...

brb putting all my spaghetti in pringles cans.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

RandomFerret posted:

That's probably the only aluminum cookware that the lifehacker had on hand. Aluminum is the same material they make cpu heatsinks out of, and they use it because it has really high thermal conductivity. If you want really good results, get ahold of an aluminum baking sheet. It's thin and has more surface area exposed to the air, so it will work faster. Also you can put the food on the surface you intend to cook it on and not smear it all over the bottom you hosed up idiot trash

But then you don't have anything in contact with the top of the meat. If I was a battered wife whose abusive husband was on their way home, I would wrap the meat in aluminum foil so it doesn't get icky then sandwich it between two pots but fill the top pot with warm water. The weight would increase the contact area. Or you can just seal the meat in a bag and dunk the whole thing in warm water. If you aren't a victim of domestic abuse, then I don't think it really matters if it takes a few extra minutes for dinner to thaw out.

Edit: Does the Pringles can thing even do anything? Doesn't spaghetti already come in a box that's usually smaller than the Pringles can?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Cat Hatter posted:

Edit: Does the Pringles can thing even do anything? Doesn't spaghetti already come in a box that's usually smaller than the Pringles can?

The Pringles can has a reclosable lid. Spaghetti boxes usually have only a tuck flap at best.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

Or you can just seal the meat in a bag and dunk the whole thing in warm water.
Bacteria love this simple trick.

Use cold water instead, it just has to be warmer than the frozen meat to work. If you use running water you'll have a constant source of relative heat, but submerging works fine if you don't want to waste all that water and time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cat Hatter posted:

Sometimes it comes in a bag. Sometimes the box is too narrow and tippy to stand upright, but if you lay it on it's side it takes up a lot of shelf space. Neither an opened bag nor a flimsy cardboard box has much of a seal. I've never tried it, but the pringles can could be better than the default packaging.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
oh good the thread's titled prisonhacks now, we can hear about more prison tricks

Like how even with desperation can they accept the use of the toilet in things that involve things you wear or ingest

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Acne Rain posted:

oh good the thread's titled prisonhacks now, we can hear about more prison tricks

Like how even with desperation can they accept the use of the toilet in things that involve things you wear or ingest

We needed more prisonhacks, it's fascinating stuff. :getin:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

blunt for century posted:

Having trouble with your cellmate? Go medieval on their rear end!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

blunt for century posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTKoKHoCzRg

Jail House Burrito/Tamale. Prison food.The inspiration to cook is finally back and to start things off we're going with a 'meal' I've wanted to do for awhile. The jailhouse/prison burrito. And as an added bonus, how to build a shank (prison knife) for protection and 'settling accounts'. I chose to go with a single bladed Tomahawk aka Gillette bayonette. Strong Language!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Bacteria love this simple trick.

Use cold water instead, it just has to be warmer than the frozen meat to work. If you use running water you'll have a constant source of relative heat, but submerging works fine if you don't want to waste all that water and time.

Which bacteria? If you don't start cooking the meat as soon as its thawed then why were you quick-thawing it in the first place? Also, all the bacteria should be on the outside layer and are going to get cooked to death anyway.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
You can buy spaghetti jars incredibly cheaply. And they're washable. And they don't make your kitchen look like a hoarders episode.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

Which bacteria? If you don't start cooking the meat as soon as its thawed then why were you quick-thawing it in the first place? Also, all the bacteria should be on the outside layer and are going to get cooked to death anyway.

You know that bacteria and friends can also excrete poisonous substances that might not be destroyed by heat?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

You know that bacteria and friends can also excrete poisonous substances that might not be destroyed by heat?

Thawing meat with warm water is not going to infest it with deadly bacteria you bunch of babies.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

bamhand posted:

Thawing meat with warm water is not going to infest it with deadly bacteria you bunch of babies.

It just might in the UK! :v:

I've always gone with the running cold water route; what I learned a while ago is stagnant is bad, too warm straight from defrost is bad

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

quote:

I see this one all the time. I've worked at a couple Shell stations, and there's never any drat button to start those things. If there were I would have had a lot less angry customers when the machine ate their money.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

And, once again, what bacteria? Its in a sealed bag (and if there is a bunch of deadly, deadly bacteria in your tap then you have bigger problems) so you aren't introducing additional bacteria, and the preexisting bacteria shouldn't have any appreciable growth vs. leaving meat to thaw to the same target temperature by letting it sit at room temperature on the counter.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

and the preexisting bacteria shouldn't have any appreciable growth vs. leaving meat to thaw to the same target temperature by letting it sit at room temperature on the counter
That's completely true insofar as that's also considered an unsafe thawing method.

It really is about the preexisting bacteria and the problem is with leaving food sit for an extended period at temperatures where they can grow, which starts at only 40° F. If you leave it on the counter, the outer layers get warm while the center is still frozen, and stay warm while you're waiting for a complete thaw. Same with warm water. The USDA recommends thawing in the refrigerator, under cold water, or in the microwave where food gets heated evenly (and even then you're supposed to use it immediately).

e: I mean we've all done the warm water or counter thing and not gotten sick off it, but the other ways are still safer, relatively speaking. I let food cool on the counter for hours all the time which is probably even worse, but if I ever catch anything I know who to blame.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Feb 20, 2015

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's completely true insofar as that's also considered an unsafe thawing method.

It really is about the preexisting bacteria and the problem is with leaving food sit for an extended period at temperatures where they can grow, which starts at only 40° F. If you leave it on the counter, the outer layers get warm while the center is still frozen, and stay warm while you're waiting for a complete thaw. Same with warm water. The USDA recommends thawing in the refrigerator, under cold water, or in the microwave where food gets heated evenly (and even then you're supposed to use it immediately).

e: I mean we've all done the warm water or counter thing and not gotten sick off it, but the other ways are still safer, relatively speaking. I let food cool on the counter for hours all the time which is probably even worse, but if I ever catch anything I know who to blame.

I will agree that refrigerator is the safest, but I was just trying to figure out how any non-refrigerated method of thawing was supposed to be safer (except the microwave, I don't like putting uncooked meat in the microwave).

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Cat Hatter posted:

I will agree that refrigerator is the safest, but I was just trying to figure out how any non-refrigerated method of thawing was supposed to be safer (except the microwave, I don't like putting uncooked meat in the microwave).

What's wrong with putting uncooked meat in the microwave? :ohdear:

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Non Serviam posted:

To be honest, I've used a can of Pringles to keep pasta. Then again, it's at the back of my pantry, not proudly displayed like an amazing life hack. Walá!

Lifehack #2: Hack Harder
Cook spaghetti before putting it in the Pringles can! AfFUNculo!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Karma Monkey posted:

What's wrong with putting uncooked meat in the microwave? :ohdear:

Technically nothing, but if you screw up it can change the texture. I know you would have to really screw up but I'm not in enough of a hurry that I can't let meat thaw the way God intended.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't seen it here but a good lifehack for me is to boil spaghetti and pour the water into an ice cube tray for cocktails for later that night to save on my water bill

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

moist turtleneck posted:

I haven't seen it here but a good lifehack for me is to boil spaghetti and pour the water into an ice cube tray for cocktails for later that night to save on my water bill

Mmm, starchy ice cubes :barf:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Speaking of jail hacks an inmate managed to get a gun into the jail via hiding it in one of his fat folds. He was only caught because he placed it on the counter when taking a shower.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Cat Hatter posted:

Technically nothing, but if you screw up it can change the texture. I know you would have to really screw up but I'm not in enough of a hurry that I can't let meat thaw the way God intended.

Ah, that's a relief. I agree meat cooked in the micro isn't very good. I do use it to thaw stuff a lot though.

SaltLick posted:

Speaking of jail hacks an inmate managed to get a gun into the jail via hiding it in one of his fat folds. He was only caught because he placed it on the counter when taking a shower.

hahaha Criminal genius foiled by hygiene!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Is it weird that I just like move meat to the refrigerator and eat it the next day to thaw it? I feel like that's the simplest solution it just sometimes involves a bit of planning.

Lifehack: think about more than the next two hours you loving animal.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff

Spergminer posted:

Having trouble with your cellmate? Go medieval on their rear end!

I came here to post something like this, the next "weapon" in that category, (http://www.popcrunch.com/prison-weapons/?img=147109) a comb with razors tied to it isn't a weapon I don't think. When I was in jail, dudes would take the blades out of the lovely razors they would give us to shave with, cut super thin strips of chip bags out and place them shiny side up in the razors so it looked like they still had blades in them, then they would adhere the blades to a comb to give other inmates fade cuts. Which was great because the only other option was a regular trustee inmate armed with a set of clippers that just asked you, "Two, one, or zero?" and gave you that all-round. I could be wrong though, or it could be both, you never know with jail!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Is it weird that I just like move meat to the refrigerator and eat it the next day to thaw it? I feel like that's the simplest solution it just sometimes involves a bit of planning.

Wait, you what? :wth:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But what if I am incapable of planning ahead and what to eat my meat now god drat it! what then? If I could plan ahead I wouldn't be in this mess and I wouldn't be starving with this useless hunk of frozen meat, you don't understand me at all!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's really the best way. Its also why I added this bit:

Cat Hatter posted:

If I was a battered wife whose abusive husband was on their way home...

Because otherwise, you really shouldn't be in such a hurry to thaw something.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cat Hatter posted:

I worked in a restaurant for five years and saw more than one customer literally cry because we ran out of baked potatoes and the ones we had in the oven wouldn't be done for 20 minutes. Some people are insane and overreact to like everything. Trust me, some people lose their drat minds instead of think "well I'll just eat something else instead."

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
It's more a prison prank thank a prisonhack, but the gym at this prison had those crappy 1980s exercise weights that were plastic and filled with sand. Someone managed to pop out the plugs and, week after week, slowly drain more and more sand out of the weights. Everyone thought they were bulking up like mad.

It was probably a guard, just because of the logistics. They never refilled the weights, so new people would be like "Holy poo poo, that's the most I've ever pressed."

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

If people are genuinely curious about prisonhacks (well in my case, jailhacks)... Ladies' Edition!

- Keep your piercings from closing up by breaking off teeth from your comb and sticking them in
- Need to scrub something in your cell? Tell the CO you're on your period and get some maxi-pads, they make decent sponges
- Cracked-open ballpoint pen + toothpaste, applied with toothbrush = mascara. Moistened Skittles = lipstick, eyeshadow, etc.
-- Save your little plastic tubs that jelly comes in for mixing said homegrown cosmetics
- You get a ziploc-style bag with basic toiletries when you come in. Save that and use it to store your hoarded bread so it doesn't go stale in 15 minutes.
- Toothpaste is handy for sticking pictures to the walls
-If you can get them, extra socks can be "origami-ed" into a stuffed animal to snuggle with at night. I made a bunny! (Hey, after sleeping next to my bf for 8 years, it was tough falling asleep alone.... yeah, I was a pretty pathetic inmate) :(

Y'all should check out Valuum's a/t thread, it is indeed a good read full of much better prisonhacks.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Prisonhacks!

-Using just an electric razor, a pen, the spring from a disposable lighter and a toothbrush, you can make a tattoo gun
-Tattoo ink? Burn some A&D ointment, collect the soot and add a couple drops of water - WALA!
-Need a light for your cigarette but no lighter? 2 batteries, 2 staples and some sort of conducting surface and you're in business
-Free toothpaste supplied by the prison (affectionately known as 'statepaste') is loving amazing for acne. Just a dab, let it dry, and wash it off
-A combination lock on a belt is an amazing and effective weapon in a pinch (same idea as a "lock in a sock", however with one or 2 hits, the sock has a tendency to rip, sending the lock flying)
-Most freestanding bunk beds have hollow legs. Need someplace to hide contraband? Lift the bunk, shove stuff up there, stuff toilet paper after to prevent it from falling in case someone lifts the bunk
-Ask around who the "Hustle Man" is. Make friends with him. He'll have the best prices on whatever you need
-Prison wine? All you need is bread/rice, juice concentrate from the chow hall, water, and a good hiding spot for a few weeks (buried on the rec yard is best. Less chance of being found)
-Ramen soups are currency. Gone are the days of cigarettes being used for trading
-The absolute best job you can get for money-making opportunities is to work in the kitchen (baker, cook, etc.). People will pay for the strangest things out of there...
-Speaking of food, gourmet cooking!

I have more, I would just need to sit and think about them.
Source: State prisoner for 5 years, 2 months, 8 days

Zipperelli. has a new favorite as of 01:47 on Feb 21, 2015

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

The only prison hack you really need: time, pressure, and a poster of Raquel Welch. :colbert:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Cat Hatter posted:

Lifehack: thaw that meat on your goddamn black eye you bitch I ain't gonna tell you again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Lifehack: kill abusive husband with frozen meat, then cook evidence and serve to police