Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
General info and thoughts about SW4: II, gathered from fansites and from talking to people who've played the Japanese version:

It's essentially a "spin off sequel" to the original game...you can't transfer your saves, and nothing carries over. Everyone starts from scratch. This may be because Koei is still in a legal quagmire with Capcom over the whole standalone expansion pack lawsuit.

- The engine is the same, as is most of the art assets.
- None of the Story Modes from the original game are playable, neither is Chronicle Mode.
- Only one new character, Ii Naomasa, adopted son of Naotora. There's no "hidden" secret new characters, only him. He seems to have something of a flashy, "Kamen Rider-esque" personality and moveset, and has a rivalry with Toyohisa. Supposedly his mother is now more of a full time Imagawa officer, Naomasa takes her role in the later Tokugawa stages.
- Similar to Uesugi Kagetora from SW4, there are two new "unique NPCs", which are unplayable but have their own voice actors, appearances, personalities and story roles. These are Tokugawa Hidetada and Toyotomi Hideyori. I've been told their looks and personalities reflect their appearances in the SW Anime, but I never watched that so I can't confirm.
- There are a handful of new maps, but most are recycled. Placements of officers, events, objectives etc have changed, however.
- New levelling system that works on a skill tree, rather than the automatic stat increases from the original. There are also Skill Books which are consumable items that boost stats.
- Weapons can now be merged and combined. I'm not sure if the system is similar to that in DW8, or W03, or something new. Horses can also be merged to create new mounts.
- Finding weapons with decent attributes is now apparently much harder, hence the need to combine them to get new, stronger weapons.
- The game's difficulty has generally increased from SW4. Officers are now much more aggressive and will use longer attack strings, as well as block more. I've heard playable officers will now use their Musou attacks against you. Peons are also more aggressive and tougher, especially in "red zones" where they can be downright lethal.
- Hyper Attacks have been toned down to be less powerful. In addition, peons in red zones now block Hyper Attacks outright. I think enemies with shields also block Hyper Attacks but I'll need to confirm this.
- Red zones now fluctuate more to reflect Morale. Red zones are tied less to set events and objectives and are altered more based on player and AI performance. Defeating officers or successfully completing objectives in an area can clear red zones, and losing allied officers or bases can turn that area red. However, many "red zones" are still tied to set events and stage objectives. There are also still Standard Bearers that weaken red zones when defeated, like in the base game, so I actually have no loving clue what's changed.
- Your Partner character is now more competent when you're not controlling them. I think they will also use Musou attacks on their own, too?
- Story modes are now tied to certain characters and each follows an individual's path through the Sengoku era. You still get a choice of Partners in each stage, but generally the plot is focused around one character for each Story. I'm not sure yet just how many characters get Story Modes, but I've heard it's less than half the cast.
- These Stories focus on events not seen in the base game, such as "what ifs", spin off Gaiden events, fictional bullshittery, and "other sides" to historical battles.
- The Story Modes are far less cohesive than that in SW4 (which told a pretty consistent, self contained narrative that was pretty newbie friendly) and is all over the place. It's likely to baffle newbies.
- There's a lot more "fan service" in the cutscenes. (It's also telling one of the first things leaked about SW4-II was a fanservice DLC pack for the female cast)
- The Stories do give more focus to lesser used characters, however "fan favourites" (Read: Prettyboys like Mitsunari) are still all over the place. Some characters like Kenshin, Shingen and Nagamasa never appear in the Story at all.
- After you complete a Story, you play the stages again with any character you wish (I don't know how this differs from Free Mode)
- Instead of Chronicle Mode is Infinite Castle which returns from previous games. I've heard it's more like a roguelike this time around?
- Okuni, Musashi and Kojiro are featured even less than in SW4, and only appear in Infinite Castle mode as randomised enemy encounters.
- Create a character is still the same as the base game.
- There's also some Challenge modes with online leaderboards and stuff.
- Oh yeah, there's some new music and also some remixed tracks.
- On the whole, content is less than SW4 and is one for diehards only. Newbies should get SW4 first.

Brony Hunter fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Interest piqued, so far I'm enjoying SW4 a lot more than DW8. DW8 combat feels a lot less refined to me. Could be because I went from Hyrule Warriors to SW4 to DW8/WO3.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

victrix posted:

Interest piqued, so far I'm enjoying SW4 a lot more than DW8. DW8 combat feels a lot less refined to me. Could be because I went from Hyrule Warriors to SW4 to DW8/WO3.

Funnily enough, most of the SW cast still have the same basic attack strings and movesets than they have had all series, with a few bells and whistles added.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Brony Hunter posted:

- None of the Story Modes from the original game are playable, neither is Chronicle Mode.

Thanks, Capcom.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Koei release a Samurai Warriors 4: Hyper Turbo Ultimate Xtreme Collector's Edition next year that combines both games.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

In DW8E, I've noticed that weapons bought in stores have white/grey dots to indicate their level, while weapons dropped from enemies/gifted from allies have stars. What is the difference, if any?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The new weapons (Bench etc) must have EX attacks and musous now, right?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, plus the giant sword, throwing knives, and talismans have a generic set too, though I think the fan is the only generic weapon that doesn't have a generic rage attack because I heard not even npcs use it anymore.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yes, but ONLY for Empires. They've been attached to characters, replacing the old weapons outright as their Ex weapon. The old weapons are available for create-a-characters. Palm Tree is Meng Huo, Flame Blade is Sun Quan. Bench is Liu Chan. Emei Piercers are Wang Yi. Duck Hooks are Lianshi. Bladebow is Yueying. Revolver Crossbow is Deng Ai. Fans are Da Qiao. Sabatons are Guan Suo. I forget who the Thunder Blade was assigned to.)I should look it up but :effort:.(And yet I bother to look up the weapon names...)

I'm kinda sad of the loss of...call it symbolism. The only one who could fully use the Emperor's Sword you get as a gift for clearing Ambition was Sun Quan.

quote:

- After you complete a Story, you play the stages again with any character you wish (I don't know how this differs from Free Mode)

Unlockables and/or scripting, perhaps?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 20, 2015

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Bloodly posted:

Yes, but ONLY for Empires. They've been attached to characters, replacing the old weapons outright as their Ex weapon. The old weapons are available for create-a-characters. Palm Tree is Meng Huo, Flame Blade is Sun Quan. Bench is Liu Chan. Emei Piercers are Wang Yi. Duck Hooks are Lianshi. Bladebow is Yueying. Revolver Crossbow is Deng Ai. Fans are Da Qiao. Sabatons are Guan Suo. I forget who the Thunder Blade was assigned to.)

I'm glad I got most of this 'right' :mmmhmm:.

Why the hell does Liu Shan get the bench? I had it as Deng Ai's sub-weapon, seeing as he likes to stretch and stuff.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I've seen videos of Liu Shan and that bench. He looks smug as hell with that thing.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Morter posted:

I'm glad I got most of this 'right' :mmmhmm:.

Why the hell does Liu Shan get the bench? I had it as Deng Ai's sub-weapon, seeing as he likes to stretch and stuff.

He sleeps on it.

Frankly I still say I prefer Olympic Fencer Liu Shan.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Liu Shan is a naive, sleepy-rear end lil weirdo.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That works for me, because my only experience with him up to now has been rescuing him as a baby (that was him, right?) and my experience with babies tells me

Anonymous Robot posted:

naive, sleepy-rear end lil weirdo

is correct characterization.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Not his fault his dad threw him on the ground as a baby in a temper tantrum.

Poor bastard. Poor bastard.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Ha ha ha what? And Liu Bei is considered a/the good guy of the period?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Ancient China was a weird place.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Lotish posted:

Yeah... everyone was kinda a dick then. I think the only person who was remotely reasonable was Sun Shangxiang, who had an army of armed maid bodyguards to keep Liu Bei's ugly rear end away from her.

I find it funny because it's the most adorable historical inaccuracy.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Lotish posted:

Well, yes, because a man can always make another son, but a truly skilled and loyal retainer that one loves like a brother? Invaluable.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Lotish posted:

Real history points to him being a really lovely thief and bad person, but the writer of the most famous re-telling of the Three Kingdoms was a Shu guy.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Liu Shan going up to a bench and going "I want to hit people with that" makes a lot of sense when you know about Liu Bei reenacting the Tecmo Bowl celebration screen with him.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Maleketh posted:

Well, yes, because a man can always make another son, but a truly skilled and loyal retainer that one loves like a brother? Invaluable.

And yet when Liu Bei died his brain-damaged son was still his heir :ironicat:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

On his deathbed, Liu Bei (supposedly) told Zhuge Liang that if Liu Shan proved an unfit ruler, he should be deposed and Zhuge Liang should take the throne himself. He just couldn't bear to actually go through with it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

NOW I understand your avatar.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Maleketh posted:

On his deathbed, Liu Bei (supposedly) told Zhuge Liang that if Liu Shan proved an unfit ruler, he should be deposed and Zhuge Liang should take the throne himself. He just couldn't bear to actually go through with it.

#1 Dad.

Basically, Dynasty Warriors Liu Bei is really some Japanese dude who vaguely resembles some Samurai Lord filling in because the real dude was a jerk rear end.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 20, 2015

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

#1 Dad.

Basically, Dynasty Warriors Liu Bei is really some Japanese dude who vaguely resembles some Samurai Lord filling in because the real dude was a jerk rear end.

Actually...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFc4QoMlkhA

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Liu Bei was a "bros before hos" man. (He abandoned his wife, concubines and daughters on several occasions, in fact his daughters were captured by Cao Cao and Liu Bei never really made any attempt to get them back)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tae posted:

Real history points to him being a really lovely thief and bad person, but the writer of the most famous re-telling of the Three Kingdoms was a Shu guy.
Well, they're ALL warlords. Are there, or have there ever been, nice warlords?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well I mean specifically Liu Bei Dynasty Warriors/Romance is almost literally nothing like the real thing. It's basically comparing Barack Obama to Metal Wolf Chaos in how they'll be viewed in the future.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Samurai Sanders posted:

According to Dennis Rodman, certainly!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tae posted:

Well I mean specifically Liu Bei Dynasty Warriors/Romance is almost literally nothing like the real thing. It's basically comparing Barack Obama to Metal Wolf Chaos in how they'll be viewed in the future.
Right after Obama was elected it did kinda look like he would be that way.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Samurai Sanders posted:

Amusingly enough, Cao Cao himself would apparently qualify by modern standards, and a while back someone posted a link to an article comparing Cao Cao, Sun Jian and Liu Bei's abilities as fathers, and I think Cao Cao was the best of them all, taking an active role in his childrens' upbringing, as well as managing to never cause severe injury to them in their infancy! :eng101:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
It's kind of funny to see koei slowwwwly start to reveal that Shu wasn't that great to begin with and Wei actually were being sort of progressive for the times.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

xiahou dun was a nice guy

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm not sure about slowly, granted I haven't played 6 but 7 and 8 were huge shifts of making Shu True Good Guys into a meme while Cao Cao was given entire batches of missions showing him being compassionate and poo poo. Hell, he straight up talks to the emperor in a helpful tone and attributes his power to his friends/servants.

Meanwhile, Wu still gets killed a bunch by random ghosts

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Davincie posted:

It's very efficient and unobtrusive to just eat your own eye, limits your environmental footprint

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Davincie posted:

"I do all these things for these Asian females and they still don't wanna jump on the Xiahou D. It must be because I'm Asian."

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Davincie posted:

xiahou dun was a nice guy supreme gentleman

:ohdear:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So SW4 was kind of, you know, over the top. Then I hit Shikoku :stare: The anime is powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I bought DW:8 and it's fun. My first DW since PS2. I am having a blast.