Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maximum Leader posted:

we did java first year and c# second, seems to be common. idk why really but anything java strikes me as really bad. maybe its damage from the countless exploits, using azureus before utorrent or all the lovely school projects ive witnessed.

if you learned python first, you would hate python. being a student means doing stupid poo poo badly and hating every second of it. that's just how it works

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Maximum Leader posted:

we did java first year and c# second, seems to be common. idk why really but anything java strikes me as really bad. maybe its damage from the countless exploits, using azureus before utorrent or all the lovely school projects ive witnessed.

if you think java is somehow a lot worse than c# then its this

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you learned python first, you would hate python. being a student means doing stupid poo poo badly and hating every second of it. that's just how it works

because java and C# are pretty much the same

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
we did java at my school, first year was like basics of programming but then second year was more programming concepts for cs and for telecom it was like web apps and swing

they offered .net as like a 400 level course lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you must be a posting student

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i dont think xiaomi actually makes money by selling products

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

PCjr sidecar posted:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PCjr sidecar posted:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
were all students in the school of life :)

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

can't believe i was beaten :(

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

the official mountain view tumblr

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

PCjr sidecar posted:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

a lot of physics and astronomy stuff is also written in fortran.

astronomy loving loves idl which is fortran except much worse

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

*lol

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
looks like he's making his life shorter to build lovely apps

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
when I was in school I briefly helped out on a mini satellite project

they described the math for what they needed to do and im thinking ok microprocessor with an rtos maybe hooked up to a dsp chip for the more intense math

nope. mini-itx sized motherboard running xp and matlab.

though over the years this has gotten less ridiculous to me. why bother rolling your own if you have the budgets for something off the shelf

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Beginning next month, the 64 gigabyte SR-64HXA micro SDXC memory card will be sold for around $160 in Japan, roughly five times the cost of a standard card with the same amount of storage. The SR-64HXA produces less electrical noise when reading data, the company says.

Will many people buy it? Even Sony doesn’t know.

“We aren’t that sure about the product’s potential demand, but we thought some among people who are committed to great sound quality would want it,” a Sony spokeswoman said.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Pinterest Mom posted:

“We aren’t that sure about the product’s potential demand, but we thought some among people who are committed to great sound quality would want it,” a Sony spokeswoman said.

is that spokesperson speak for "yeah there's enough idiots out there that we can stamp this label on a normal memory card and make hell of money off it"

I'm p sure it is

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i dont think it means that. if they were just slapping a label on something that's actually the same i think they'd probably try to push it a bit harder instead of saying "we're not really sure if anyone actually wants this". i bet there's something theoretically "better" about it

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Elder Postsman posted:

is that spokesperson speak for "yeah there's enough idiots out there that we can stamp this label on a normal memory card and make hell of money off it"

I'm p sure it is

reads as more of a "let's see if there's enough idiots out there that we can stamp this label on a normal memory card and make hella money off it"

even if the experiment fails its not like they're really out any money, they can just price drop them to the same price as regular sd cards and they'll sell like hotcakes

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

matters*

*"matters"

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Pinterest Mom posted:

Beginning next month, the 64 gigabyte SR-64HXA micro SDXC memory card will be sold for around $160 in Japan, roughly five times the cost of a standard card with the same amount of storage. The SR-64HXA produces less electrical noise when reading data, the company says.

Will many people buy it? Even Sony doesn’t know.

wanna stick that in my pono

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Munkeymon posted:

matters*

*"matters"

czech out their portfolio

lol

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i like the lack of a speed class marking

not even a non-UHS one lol

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
flipter :lol:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

daft punk railroad posted:

wanna stick that in my pono

Pono comes with a non-magical 64 GB micro SDXC.

that's probably why the blind tests couldn't detect an advantage for the pono - too much electrical noise from the sd card~

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
who thought creapps was a good name

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
      ^                   ^                                         ^                                                                           ^
    sony              neil young                                 the verge                                                                creative x-fi

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Jonny 290 posted:

As the magic wizard beardos that every bank keeps close to their chests die off, so will COBOL a bit.

it wont go away overnight but its advocates will stop pushing cobol and start pushing daisies

is this you?

In 1991, technology writer Alsop wrote, “I predict that the last mainframe will be unplugged on 15 March 1996. In 2002, he admitted he was wrong."

This is never going away:

and I'm making loving bank because of it, gently caress yeah

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

i've said it before but back during my brief stint as a mainframe code janitor i kind of developed a genuine affinity for the ISPF editor

i'd definitely never go back to using it for its intended purpose though

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

daft punk railroad posted:

i've said it before but back during my brief stint as a mainframe code janitor i kind of developed a genuine affinity for the ISPF editor

i'd definitely never go back to using it for its intended purpose though

boy are you in luck, they made one for windows:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

As the magic wizard beardos that every bank keeps close to their chests die off, so will COBOL a bit.

it wont go away overnight but its advocates will stop pushing cobol and start pushing daisies

in my experience cobol developers are really young guys, often kids recruited right out of school.

the early cobol code to run banks and print your paycheck and settle inventories was written in the 1960s and 1970s. most of those guys were already retired or dead before you graduated high school jony

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
It's not the engineers that decide to keep or port software from COBOL, it's the product and business owners that make that call.

Besides, in this day and age any engineer that is involved in a project like that isn't going to push for modernization anyway, they know that there's value in being the only programmer in a thousand that can put COBOL skills on their resume.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have to deal with some of those wizard beardos (they almost all have beards for real) and all they're doing at this point is trying to not let people gently caress up the system of record they manage until after they retire

values of "gently caress up the system" include
- upgrade
- move to a different data center
- modify the schema one iota
- rewrite DB calls so they're more efficient
- accuse the system of not being of optimal design
- glance sideways at

as far as they're concerned their system is a golden goose and they're surrounded by people with scalpels

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

to their credit they do have pretty great uptime numbers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Greatbacon posted:

It's not the engineers that decide to keep or port software from COBOL, it's the product and business owners that make that call.

Besides, in this day and age any engineer that is involved in a project like that isn't going to push for modernization anyway, they know that there's value in being the only programmer in a thousand that can put COBOL skills on their resume.

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

to their credit they do have pretty great uptime numbers

and the mainframes around today are the types of things where you want zero downtime so hyperconservatism is the name of the game

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Greatbacon posted:

i really don't think there's that much value in having cobol on your resume. in 2015, most cobol shops are accustomed to training people on the platform, just like mumps or rpg2 or whatever.

bonus: if they train a new grad instead of hiring you, they can pay peanuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

uptime is king. the museum where I work uses PayPal in the gift shop (lol I know) and their stuff went down for a little while yesterday and cost us several sales as a result. you might have 99% uptime but if that 1% is when the shop is trying to make a sale, that's enough for them to ask me about other POS options

• Locked thread