Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

skylineboy08 posted:

Also the fact that you kind of have to tear everything apart in the front of the motor to get the fan shroud and then the radiator out.
Maybe my 96 models were different, but I'm 99℅ sure the electric fan and shroud just unbolted from the radiator and slid up. Maybe there was another piece across the top that unbolted first and maybe the IC hoses, but definitely not a big deal.

Maybe it's a year model change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

zundfolge posted:

It's a thousand times easier than replacing a 240 heater core. All you have to do is drain the coolant, take off the panels on the bottom of the dash, R&R the core, and put the dash back together. The only difficult part is putting the core back into the heater box without bending the fins. I've found that it helps to take the evaporator drain tube off the nipple it connects to on the floor-it gives you a few more inches of clearance when you're trying to get everything lined up.

My 850 had the stereo amp bolted in somewhere back there, and it took me a solid half hour to get it back in because of how little clearance there was. Apparently they only did that for certain trims, like platinum and cross country.

skylineboy08 posted:

Maybe that's why my windshield is always filmy. It doesn't smell sweet inside like its leaking and there's no loss of coolant though.

It starts really slow, but at some point you will start loosing a more noticeable amount of coolant. Could be quite a while. I noticed a film shortly after I bought my car, but the smell didn't happen for a year and a half.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I forgot about the amp. My XC doesn't have one and the one in my R lives under the passenger seat, and since the latter doesn't have the center speaker there's no Dolby box under the dash either.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

angryrobots posted:

Which generation? Or rather, what's your price range? :p

I think dealing with deferred maintenance is just part of the used Volvo experience.

My budget is going to be around 5k to 6k.

I'm really leaning towards a Mazda 6 wagon but I'm keeping my options open and have been also looking at Mercs, BMWs and Saabs as well as the Volvos.

If I'm gonna go European, I want to get the best possible wagon I can get for my money, best meaning no nagging issues or big problems like transmissions and whatnot. I understand I'll have to do some maintenance, I just don't want it to break me.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Obviously what you want is a 245 Turbo. :getin:

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Anyone have a strong opinion on alternators? I've had my battery die a handful of times in the last year or so - the last time was when it was idling outside while I was in the garage. I had moved my car because a friend had come over for some reason, forgot it was on for about 20-30 minutes while we were in the garage and by the time I got back, it was dead. It ended up starting fine a while later when I went back to the car to pop the hood to jump start it. AAA tested the alternator one of the times it failed to start and said it was okay, but that I should think about replacing it since it wasn't putting out as much power as it should.

I'm in the middle of the process of replacing my thermostat housing after breaking a bolt replacing the thermostat. Had to take the power steering pump, alternator and AC compressor out in order to get a huge brace/bracket off of the block just to get the lower bolt for the thermostat housing off of my car.

I bought a Duralast alternator from Autozone just because my car has been down for about a month now and I wanted to get it going... but now I'm starting to feel like I should do it right and get a shop to rebuild my alternator with quality parts. Anyone have a strong opinion either way? I have no idea what these shops are going to charge as well..

Speaking of which, does anyone know if a brand new circular gasket that goes around the thermostat should fit snugly into the housing? The one I got from autozone has a few mm of space - I assume it's designed to squish down and fill out once I torque down the top of the housing, but I figured I'd ask. Also, does anyone know if 850R/turbo's should have a retaining shim for the injectors?

e: On a side note, I used 2-3 pennies and a 1/2" breaker bar successfully as a serpentine belt tensioner tool at a junk yard. I had tried something I read online - using 3 quarters and a vice grip, but the quarters kept bending, and I'd lose it. I suppose I could of just cut the dumb thing off, but good to know if you're in a pinch.

goobernoodles fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 1, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

My 940's having an annoying problem that I'd like to stop before it turns into a bigger problem.

When I accelerate at low speeds, there's a shuddering from somewhere in the drivetrain. It gets louder (and I can feel it more) when the car is loaded down with a zillion pounds of junk in the back.

I read somewhere that this might be the transmission mount, so I bought a new one at some point last year, but I haven't been able to find time to install it.

Is this a likely solution, or am I looking at a replacement u-joint or driveshaft bushing or something?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Mine does something similar. Most of it went away away when the driveshaft center support was done.

I'm hoping the rest of it stops after I replace the u-joints.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Seconding the driveshaft center bushing. I'd also recommend taking a look at the bushings in the torque rods that locate the rear end.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

:shepicide:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

leica posted:

So what are the opinions of the V50 wagons? Definitely going to get a wagon just not sure which direction to go, I like the V50 but I'm thinking I may be better off avoiding any European wagons to begin with :smith:

The first two years are generally regarded as the ones to avoid owing to shifty electronics on those. My 2006 has had some funky glitches as well (but that could be excused since it's at 193k miles).

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010

mafoose posted:

driveshaft center support...replace the u-joints.

These will solve almost all rwd Volvo drive train vibrations and shudders and, in my experience, it takes about the same amount of time to do the whole thing at once. Just drop the driveshaft, change all the u-joints and put it in with a new center support bearing and rubber center support. If you've got the time and the part, the transmission mount can be done while you're there, just support it with a jack while you change the mount. It's definitely easier as a 4 jack stand job though. I would pick up the front and the back and have the whole car level and in the air instead of trying to do it with just the front jacked up although I would imagine you could probably work it that way.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

This 1992 240 on Turbobricks is looking awfully tempting for $3500.

sold to one turbobricker in 2013, who's now selling it again:

seller 1 posted:

GOOD:
1. CARB approved 2.3L turbo swap!
2. Very clean paint. The hood and roof were repainted, but there is a little bit of clearcoat peeling on those panels in a few spots. It looks great from 10 feet away, but it's no concourse paint job. Perfect for a daily driver that you want to wash and wax every once in a while and be proud of.
3. Very clean interior. Tan cloth interior looks very nice, no rips or terrible stains. I shampooed the entire interior today, and it smells fantastic in there. The dash has two small cracks, but it looks great.
4. Cold A/C - late style R12 components with an E-fan that comes on with the AC
5. OEM glass E-codes, not reproduction. A high/low beam HID kit is installed, but I can replace that with high wattage PIAA H4 bulbs if the buyer prefers regular headlights.
6. Lots of accessories: OEM dog gate, upgraded speakers front and rear, subwoofer hidden in the passenger side buttcheek, ratcheting armrest, rear facing seat (not installed), rear cargo plastic tray, front passenger plastic floormats, tow hitch with trailer wiring, power windows and locks all work, GT braces, IPD sways, tinted windows with minimal scratches,
7. Everything works well. Brakes, electrical, mechanical... There's nothing to complain about.
8. No rust. Very clean and dry.
9. Can deliver anywhere in the country for a reasonable fee. My wife loves road trips, and I love getting time in the garage to work on my other projects.
10. Has the accumulator mod, so it shifts like a beast
11. Manual boost controller lets you set the boost where you want it. We always kept it at 10psi or less.
12. The stereo sounds great, and is completely invisible. All door speakers behind stock grills, sub hidden under the cargo area.
13. Has the power of the turbo with all the comfort of a late model 240 such as improved sound deadening, taller gearing, better air conditioning, better weatherstripping, better front seats, more sun proof plastic, etc...
14. Nearly invisible to cops when you're speeding (no guarantees on that!) But it'll roll down the freeway at 80mph+ without any issues whatsoever.

BAD:
1. sometimes idles a little rough when I start it on cold mornings, especially when it's damp or humid outside. I have given it a tune up, changed the air filter, looked at it a lot, but haven't found the cause. But after 10 seconds of idling weird, it snaps out of it and runs great, so it's an easy problem to ignore.
2. license plate light does not work, due to the wires in the tailgate harnesses being broken. Common problem, pretty easy fix. The rear wiper works great.
3. The ride is kind of rough, because it's so low. For a very small fee, I can put taller springs back into the car if the buyer would prefer.
4. The rear wiper makes one swipe every time you turn the headlights on or off. LOL, I don't know exactly why.
5. Glovebox got stuck closed. I hope to have this fixed before the sale.
6. Auxiliary input in the deck recently failed, so it's radio, CD, or ipod only now. The deck does have an ipod input, but it doesn't work with my iphone 4S
7. original tail light lenses are getting kind of faded and old looking, but work fine.
8. Rear hatch leaks a little water. It just started doing this the last time I washed it (today). I will get in there and investigate what's up, but I did just tighten a loose tail gate hinge, so I suspect something is out of alignment or I possibly got the gasket out of position.

seller 2 posted:

-Rear hatch is not leaking, fixed.
-Glove box works.
-License plate lights work, replaced the tailgate wiring.
-New battery.
-Replaced timing belt, water pump, and harmonic balancer with new good parts (have all receipts).
-Replaced CTS.
-New radiator hoses and drive belts.
-New tires on the Virgos.
-Removed HID lighting kit.
-Plasti-dipped the hockey sticks where they were peeling.
-Yellow Volvo stickers for the Virgo caps from DB.
-A truck kicked a rock at me and there is a pea-sized hole in the passenger side e-code :(

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 11, 2015

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

leica posted:

My budget is going to be around 5k to 6k.

I'm really leaning towards a Mazda 6 wagon but I'm keeping my options open and have been also looking at Mercs, BMWs and Saabs as well as the Volvos.

If I'm gonna go European, I want to get the best possible wagon I can get for my money, best meaning no nagging issues or big problems like transmissions and whatnot. I understand I'll have to do some maintenance, I just don't want it to break me.

Piggybacking this. I will probably be in the market for a ~$5k wagon this year. Puts me in the range for an '02ish-05ish V70/xc70 with 100-150k on it. What are the big maintenance items at this point? From what I understand the 2.5T is reliable, but what about trans and other major systems?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

angryhampster posted:

'02ish-05ish V70/xc70 with 100-150k on it.

What are the big maintenance items at this point?

but what about trans

you'll see :unsmigghh:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

angryhampster posted:

Piggybacking this. I will probably be in the market for a ~$5k wagon this year. Puts me in the range for an '02ish-05ish V70/xc70 with 100-150k on it. What are the big maintenance items at this point? From what I understand the 2.5T is reliable, but what about trans and other major systems?

The transmission is probably the single biggest concern I'd have in any Volvo made after 2001. The recommendation from the dealer guy on Swedespeed who sells a lot of them is to drive whatever you're interested in for 30-45 minutes (although I'm not sure how many dealers would be amicable to this) and see if it exhibits any weird shifting problems. If there's any slipping, hesitation, banging into gear, etc. run away. Maintenance records showing transmission fluid changes are also a positive sign, but since Volvo didn't recommend them for a while it might be hard to find one that had them done regularly unless you're buying from an enthusiast. If you find one that you like and it shifts well, change the fluid as soon as you get it home using Mobil 3309 or Toyota T-IV and then do it every 20-30K.

Transmission aside, they're generally pretty reliable but they can be hard on suspension parts, some of the electronic modules fail occasionally, the AWD angle gear can leak and eventually lunch itself, the CV ends on the driveshaft will puke their grease eventually, and there might be other minor electronic issues, but outside of wear items that are common to any car there's not that much that goes wrong considering the level of equipment that they have. If you get one from '04 or newer that's been reasonably well kept, take care of the preventive maintenance (trans fluid, timing belt, PCV system, cooling system, etc.) it should be good to go for a while.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I got pulled over and given a warning for my headlight being askew on my 1997 Volvo 960 Station Wagon. I've been googling around and can't really find a good guide on how to adjust it. Anyone know what I'm looking for?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Was it involved in a crash or something? If it's so bad to warrant being stopped, I dunno if it's fixable within the angle of adjustment. Here's the adjustment per Volvo.

If the front end is screwed up (or you need lateral adjustment which sounds probable), you may find the bubble is worthless. If so, park about 5' in front of a wall with the lights on and try to match the non-askew light.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I was in a very minor accident, yes. It pushed the headlight down just slightly, when the headlights are both showing on the wall the right is showing just about an inch lower than the left which obviously becomes more pronounced at a longer range.

I've seen that, I just can't seem to find the knob. I'll go look again.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I went out just now and instead of messing with the knob I decided to just tug on the light until the clips from the bumper went beneath it and it appears to be about where it should be now. I guess I should just replace the bumper and the headlight at some point. Gonna have to find a junkyard here in Phoenix that has some intact stuff, I suppose.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If it was just pushed down, that must be one pedantic cop, or either he suspected you of some other crime and used it as an excuse.

I could see if it was aimed into incoming traffic or something. Do they check headlight alignment in states with inspections?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

They didn't check mine. It was a small town cop in the lovely county between Tucson and Phoenix in Arizona, but I'm driving into another one of those small counties this weekend and wanted to get it handled.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

My dad's 960 sedan had (has, technically) 219k miles, headlights so misaligned towards the ground that he habitually used the fog lights to drive, nivomats so dead the car was practically bottomed out in the rear, holes in the heater core (bypassed after a year of wiping the glycol slime off the inside of the window), and an engine that somehow still ran until the timing belt broke despite being pumped full of horrible amounts of stop-leak at various points (despite my advice).

So I guess the thing to take away from all this is: drive a sedan in Ruby Red Pearl.

Edit: related question: can you drop a twin-turbo S80 I6 into a 960

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 14, 2015

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

You can have my station wagon when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/4884266435.html

A few questions,
What are the chances the belt is broke and if it is, how does one take a look with minimal tools?
Also, is this an interference engine?
With it being a non runner, is it an utter whore to change the valves? Or just let a machine shop do it?
And lastly... How sturdy are these motors and cars? If I got it running what other potential disasters could I face?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
If the belt broke, it'll be cheaper to buy a new (used) head. I heard the bend almost all the valves when they break.

Also I know the transmission is utter poo poo on the 6 cylinder turbo models, no idea how they fair in the non-turbo cars.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I wasn't scared of the valves, I'm more scared of all the other poo poo blowing up.

I may just avoid this one.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
To check the timing belt, all you have to do is loosen the two T27 bolts on the left part of the engine cover and lift it off. S80s can be electrical nightmares and the GM transmission in the 6-cylinder models doesn't have the greatest reputation, but it might be OK in that one since the normally aspirated models don't make a lot of power. That one looks like it has the updated electronic throttle body, so at least that won't give you any headaches.

That being said, that particular example looks like a hoarder car and with 260K on the clock almost everything is going to be worn out. Running and driving examples with half the mileage aren't that much more expensive, so unless you have a line on cheap parts I'd pass.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Thanks! I am curious if the milage is really that high. If its 160 I may consider it, as most cl postings are super accurate.

I take it the S80 = 7 series BMW equivalency?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
It's Volvo's flagship but the similarities end there-the S80 is about the size of a contemporary 5-series but whereas the 5 is a driver's car with luxury trappings the S80 is a total luxobarge.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Thanks for the input, honestly, I know very little about Volvo's but it looked like potential beater/flip but I'll pass.

Where would you put the S60 in line with BMW?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Volvo doesen't really position itself to compete with true luxury brands, its better to compare it with 'premium' brands like Buick and Acura.

In terms of size, the S60 is around the same dimensions as the 3 series (though it's a little smaller on the inside).

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 20, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I should have said that size wise, and not in terms of luxury. It seems much bigger than what it is.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

It's 189.8 inches long, so a little smaller than the average midsize car in 2015 (a 2014 Accord is 191.4).

Also, being one of the first 'modern' Volvo's, I've heard that the firet gen S80's were a nightmare electronically.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Crossposting from the What Car to Buy thread. What do you guys have to say about the S60R? I read the throttle body module notes early in the thread, but didn't see anything else specific.

I have a chance to pick up a trade in at my shop for next to nothing. It needs some mechanical work (tie rod, exhaust, air filter box broken), but aside from a cracked front lip it seems good. If I assume $1500 all-in to get road worthy, is it a good car to own and maintain for a year or two?
Car in question is a 2005 with 166,000km.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

mr.belowaverage posted:

Crossposting from the What Car to Buy thread. What do you guys have to say about the S60R? I read the throttle body module notes early in the thread, but didn't see anything else specific.

I have a chance to pick up a trade in at my shop for next to nothing. It needs some mechanical work (tie rod, exhaust, air filter box broken), but aside from a cracked front lip it seems good. If I assume $1500 all-in to get road worthy, is it a good car to own and maintain for a year or two?
Car in question is a 2005 with 166,000km.

The S60R is new enough that it won't suffer from electronic throttle body problems but the AWD system and the special shocks they use can be troublesome. That being said, for $1500 you can't go wrong assuming you're comfortable putting some money into it over the next couple years to keep it up. I would add a timing belt to your list of repairs, though-it's due to be replaced at 168,000km.

Are you able to take it out for a test drive?

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

zundfolge posted:

Are you able to take it out for a test drive?

Yeah, I drove it up and down the road. I didn't try highway due to the tie rod wear; it wanders up front. It seems a little reluctant to put the horses to the wheels unless you mash it, but that could be the intake leak. Otherwise it drove nicely. No warning lights at least.

Owner was a friend of the salesguy who took it as trade. He said they used to tool around in it often and it was a great, fast fun car.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

This was a followup to a post someone made referencing that I recommend setting aside $2000 a year for repairs on an S60/V70R:

LloydDobler posted:

The kicker is that at the end of the year you can't spend the $2000. At the end of year 2 you'll have angle gear failure and also need a PCV and Timing belt, so the entire $4000 will still hit you.

Keep in mind that USED headlights for that car are $500. New they're over $800. Shocks are $250 each although guys are figuring out ways to bypass the CEL you get if you use aftermarket. The radiator is only $300 but shops mark it up to $500 and then charge $300 to put it in. And the end tanks are made of plastic, and the main mounting point for the entire condenser, intercooler, radiator and fan are molded in to them. Look at it wrong and they crack, necessitating replacement.

Still an incredibly rewarding car to drive, the AWD is glued to the road, 300HP is a lot of fun, the seats hug you like your momma used to, and the stock 11 speaker sound system is to die for (8" woofers in the rear deck, mmm). If you find a wagon with a factory 12" subwoofer it's even better.

There are a lot of $1500 parts that fail with regularity on these cars, 300HP just pushed some of the components a little too hard I think. If you can't do the work yourself, that $1500 S60R will nickel and dime you for $5k in the first year, if you actually want to fix everything and/or flip it. That said, they still have a book value around $10k if everything is in good working order and it's cosmetically decent.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

Well this purchase just changed dramatically. Dealership checked over the car, and it only needs tie rods for safety. The front end damage is minor, but that's where the money would go. I can buy it, do the minimum, and fix the cosmetics week by week and then flip it for profit.

Hilariously, I asked the dealer to confirm it was an R model. Like 'hey check the VIN just in case someone added badges, body skirts and rims.. lol'

They said that's exactly what it is: a tarted up S60 2.5T AWD. Not an R. This changes my potential retail value by a huge amount it seems, looking at online ads.

On the other hand, I drove the car 30km back from the dealership. It's so fast! It's so nice! Now I kind of just want it..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Dead giveaway; the true R models all have blue gauge faces, like so;

Most people doing what some PO did with that car figure it's way too much effort to go in there and change them.