Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Non Serviam posted:

As for batman, I feel that even though they were good, only Heath Ledger's performance will outlive the trilogy. Everything else was pretty forgettable.

This. "I'm a man of my wooorD." gives me chills.

Although I feel "good" is too kind, especially to the last one which was very, very bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockroach
Dec 12, 2010
I'm sorry if someone's already mentioned this soundbite, I know stock sounds are a common thing;

When I was a kid I had this cheap animation program called Spider Man Cartoon Maker, based off the 90's cartoon. The basic way it worked was that it had clip art of characters or props, and when you dragged the art across the screen it would have a short animation (like walking) accompanied with a soundbite. It would repeat over and over if you wanted to make a character walk slowly or all the way across the screen. Some of them, like Aunt May, had a little music that repeated okay, there was one Spider-Man that just said "My Spider Sense is tingling!" which was obnoxious.

Anyway, there was a soundbite for either a police officer or car that I have never been able to get out of my head. It's supposed to be dispatch coming over the radio/walkie talkies;

"Seventy-three-five... code six? One-oh-five North Avenue, Fifty-two *hang up click*.

I hear this thing more often than the Wilhem Scream now, every scene where police are, it's in the background.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I went looking and found it. Holy cow I hear this everywhere too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FxgVS7bylA

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Why have you cursed the thread with this knowledge!?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Clockroach posted:

I'm sorry if someone's already mentioned this soundbite, I know stock sounds are a common thing;

When I was a kid I had this cheap animation program called Spider Man Cartoon Maker, based off the 90's cartoon. The basic way it worked was that it had clip art of characters or props, and when you dragged the art across the screen it would have a short animation (like walking) accompanied with a soundbite. It would repeat over and over if you wanted to make a character walk slowly or all the way across the screen. Some of them, like Aunt May, had a little music that repeated okay, there was one Spider-Man that just said "My Spider Sense is tingling!" which was obnoxious.

Anyway, there was a soundbite for either a police officer or car that I have never been able to get out of my head. It's supposed to be dispatch coming over the radio/walkie talkies;

"Seventy-three-five... code six? One-oh-five North Avenue, Fifty-two *hang up click*.

I hear this thing more often than the Wilhem Scream now, every scene where police are, it's in the background.

It's even worse when it's used again and again in the background

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Zaphod42 posted:

I personally LOVED Tom Hardy's Bane. My first exposure to the character of Bane was either the Batman Animated Series or Batman Forever, but either way Bane was a dumb, muscle-bound luchadore moron who was just the big thug muscle for Poison Ivy. I never cared for the character at ALL. But I knew in the comics he was pretty awesome, I just haven't really read a ton of Batman comics.

Finally we get a movie where Bane is still crazy strong, (He's one of a few superheroes in better shape than bats himself) but he's equal parts crazy smart and crazy driven. The guy is just a loving machine.

I actually quite liked Hardy's Bane, right up until the reveal that he's NOT the mastermind behind everything, Talia is. I felt like that moment stripped away all of his "crazy smart" and "crazy driven" characterization, and turned him into a glorified puppet. In my mind, those post-reveal scenes really made it seem like he was just a musclebound mouthpiece for Talia's plan and rhetoric, he wasn't even like a partner or second-in-command. Maybe that was just my own interpretation, though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
There's another stock police sound i hear all the time that was initially ingrained in my brain from some version of Sim City... It played every time you built a police station.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have something similar. I just watched The Babadook and it was pretty good except at one point they used a stock dinosaur scream for a sound effect and it totally killed the mood for me. I'm pretty sure it was a sound effect from Primal Rage.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Clockroach posted:

Ha, I had that program too and that sound effect is burned deep into my memory. I can't not hear it in shows and movies too.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I have something similar. I just watched The Babadook and it was pretty good except at one point they used a stock dinosaur scream for a sound effect and it totally killed the mood for me. I'm pretty sure it was a sound effect from Primal Rage.

Yeah, that sound bite has been used for countless dragons/dinosaurs/monsters in games and movies for decades. It's a pity, cause the movie was giving me some serious goosebumps until that happened.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That sound annoys the poo poo out of me and Spider Man Cartoon Maker is the reason, also. I'm surprised so many people have had the same specific experience. Hell of a fun time that game was, though.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

The end result though is that 99% of swordfights are a bunch of people actually trying to hit the other person's sword, not trying to kill each other. I posted a video a few pages back about criticism of modern action movies, and it talked about how most swordfights, especially lightsaber fights, feel a lot more like dancing than fighting, and that's absolutely true. There's no impact, no followthrough at all. Its just kids banging sticks against each other on purpose, clang clang clang.

Philomena Cunk knows what's up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxnusGcAqNY&t=74s

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

EmmyOk posted:

Why have you cursed the thread with this knowledge!?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > PYF Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments: I Never Noticed It Before And Now I Can't Stop Noticing It

This thread has lifted the curtain on some of the most egregious poo poo that is done in the name of "background" and "realism" in entertainment. It makes the good ones better, though.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Patattack posted:

I actually quite liked Hardy's Bane, right up until the reveal that he's NOT the mastermind behind everything, Talia is. I felt like that moment stripped away all of his "crazy smart" and "crazy driven" characterization, and turned him into a glorified puppet. In my mind, those post-reveal scenes really made it seem like he was just a musclebound mouthpiece for Talia's plan and rhetoric, he wasn't even like a partner or second-in-command. Maybe that was just my own interpretation, though.

I felt the same, especially after they killed him off in such a lovely way

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Memento posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > PYF Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments: I Never Noticed It Before And Now I Can't Stop Noticing It

Pig squeal from Warcraft 2 and kids laughing from Diddy Kong Racing :tizzy:

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I felt the same, especially after they killed him off in such a lovely way

(Dark Knight Rises)

Yeah! And if my memory isn't playing tricks on me, he hardly has any lines (certainly nothing badass, clever, or otherwise memorable) after the big reveal, which just adds to my final impression of him as little more than a mindless servant.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Bane was weird for me since his super steroid juice is like his big thing and it's just completely absent from the movie.

One stock sound effect that always get me. The potion sound from Ultima Online is used basically anytime an animated person pours a drink. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bflnS4dWY8

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
There's an old, metal gate closing noise that I swear I first heard in the Castlevania game for the N64 that I've heard in many TV shows and movies. Also, numerous animal sounds from WoW I've heard many different places. It always irritates me and takes me right out of whatever I'm watching while I curse the lazy sound department.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I notice the Doom door sound in tons of things as well.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

HairyManling posted:

There's an old, metal gate closing noise that I swear I first heard in the Castlevania game for the N64 that I've heard in many TV shows and movies. Also, numerous animal sounds from WoW I've heard many different places. It always irritates me and takes me right out of whatever I'm watching while I curse the lazy sound department.

That gate noise drives me up the loving wall, so very overused. Oh look they are moving a prison door? Brace for stock sound!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mr E posted:

I notice the Doom door sound in tons of things as well.

And the Imp sound is a camel. Which you'll hear in Indiana Jones, The Mummy and The English Patient since it's a free to use, or at least stock, camel sample and apparently (according to what I've read itt or cinema discusso) doing foley/adr work or sending someone out with a mic to find an actual camel is too hard so it will always be that loving camel. Which, if you care about camels, and who doesn't? you'll know that it's as dead as Marge Simpson's Hang in There Kitty.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Memento posted:

For me it's empty coffee cups. Whenever a character is supposedly drinking coffee from one of those take-away coffee cups with the lid, it's empty. And once you know that, it's really, really obvious.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Trent posted:

Pig squeal from Warcraft 2 and kids laughing from Diddy Kong Racing :tizzy:

I think you mean the kids laughing from Roller Coaster Tycoon :colbert:

HairyManling posted:

The show Shark Tank uses this sound effect approximately once every fifteen seconds.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I think you mean the kids laughing from Roller Coaster Tycoon :colbert:

The laugh is known as the 'Diddy laugh' soooo... I remember last summer there were 3 adverts running on TV that all used the Diddy laugh when kids appeared, and sometimes it would happen that all 3 adverts would play in the same break. It drove me insane.

edit - Some nutter collects them it seems http://diddylaugh.blogspot.co.uk/

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'd say leaving the venom aspect out of Bane's character was the right thing to do. He's always been Batman's dark mirror and he's so scary because he's just a better Batman. Smarter, stronger, quicker. I really don't know why they had him Venom up in the first place other than it made him more EXTREEEEME. Then because I presume people didn't know how to write a good story about an evil batman he became another Hulk. Kinda like Venom himself from Spider-man. Never written well as the dark mirror so comes off as a complete goof-ball.

Also agreeing that the stock dinosaur effect almost ruined the Babadook. We nearly pissed ourselves laughing when that happened. Loved the film otherwise.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dr_Amazing posted:

Bane was weird for me since his super steroid juice is like his big thing and it's just completely absent from the movie.

It isn't absent, it was changed from a steroid that grants strength into a painkiller that he's in too much pain to use his strength without.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

ChogsEnhour posted:

I'd say leaving the venom aspect out of Bane's character was the right thing to do. He's always been Batman's dark mirror and he's so scary because he's just a better Batman. Smarter, stronger, quicker. I really don't know why they had him Venom up in the first place other than it made him more EXTREEEEME. Then because I presume people didn't know how to write a good story about an evil batman he became another Hulk. Kinda like Venom himself from Spider-man. Never written well as the dark mirror so comes off as a complete goof-ball.

Also agreeing that the stock dinosaur effect almost ruined the Babadook. We nearly pissed ourselves laughing when that happened. Loved the film otherwise.

He had venom because he wasn't as good as Batman. He only broke Batman's back after breaking out everyone from Arkham on the same night and waited until Batman was too exhausted to properly fight back when he broke his back in his original appearance. He did this specifically because he knew he probably couldn't beat Batman in a straight fight. Even in DKR he isn't fighting smart or well trained Batman, just stupid and old Batman who just runs into danger and gets his rear end whooped like an average chump because that fight scene sucked.

Ra's Al Ghul is more of a dark mirror of what a man of Bruce's skills and wealth could become if he truly believed murdering criminals and saving the earth by any means necessary was the best course of action.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

^ This. Ra's actually resembles batman in terms of training and poo poo. Bane is just a drugged up luchador. It's cool that they tried to make him some kind of wacked out revolutionary for the movies, but the effect is kind of ruined when it turns out he's just another second fiddle. It gave me some serious batman and robin vibes.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Most of Batman's villains are slightly darker mirrors of him, though, so it's kind of a moot point.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

There's one dude who's actually the reverse of Batman. His criminal parents were killed in front of him by police officers, so he dedicated his life to destroying law and order.

http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Prometheus

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

The Zombie Guy posted:

There's one dude who's actually the reverse of Batman. His criminal parents were killed in front of him by police officers, so he dedicated his life to destroying law and order.

http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Prometheus

I liked the time Batman used the guy's own tech against him to download the martial arts abilities of Stephen Hawking into his brain.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Canemacar posted:

I liked the time Batman used the guy's own tech against him to download the martial arts abilities of Stephen Hawking into his brain.

Please tell me you didn't just make that up.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
*GASPS*

I know quantum mechanics.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Please tell me you didn't just make that up.
I googled out of curiousity and uhhhhh :eyepop:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

TheFallenEvincar posted:

show this to anyone who says that comic books aren't art

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

TheFallenEvincar posted:

That is loving hysterical, I love it.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Someone tweet this to Stephen Hawking.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
If anything it shows that Batman doesn't understand how diseases work, Stephen Hawking wasn't born disabled.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I doubt he'd have been able to beat Batman in a fist fight even before he became wheelchair bound, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Arrath posted:

I doubt he'd have been able to beat Batman in a fist fight even before he became wheelchair bound, though.

Oh of course but that wasn't the reference they were going for. If that was the case Batman could have just given Prometheus the skills of his gardner.