Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Fuzz posted:

Does 1 extra phial really make that much difference? How much extra duration does it give you on a charged shield?

I've been using that Auto guard talisman they give you for free since I haven't found anything better yet... has saved my rear end multiple times and trivialized a few fights where some huge attack was gonna wreck everyone and I just face blocked it and was like, "NOPE."

Each phial gives you ~30 seconds, and you can store up to 6 minutes of shield boost time (10 phials). With Load Up you get 1 extra phial and I guess an extra minute on the maximum time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Fuzz posted:

Start button guard trick?

Edit: Disregard, my explanation of this is poo poo and half-wrong.

You can use the X+A attack to get a HUGE opening for Guard Points (where you auto-block while attacking, because your shield's in front of you anyway). However, you can also map Kick/Weapon Special to the Start button, and that's the same as hitting X+A. So any time you're mid-combo, you can just hit start and get like a 0.5 second window where you're blocking and winding up an attack.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 20, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

As cute as Meownster Hunter is, it's kind of annoying that you can only do it once every three quests.

I'm assuming that leveling up your cattes makes them better at the minigame?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Start button guard trick?

Normally doing a guard point from neutral is super risky because if you hold down R at any point before pressing R+X to morph, you don't hold the shield out in front of you and thus lose the guard point. Mapping kick to the start button puts morph on the start button which means you remove that execution barrier.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

dragon enthusiast posted:

Normally doing a guard point from neutral is super risky because if you hold down R at any point before pressing R+X to morph, you don't hold the shield out in front of you and thus lose the guard point. Mapping kick to the start button puts morph on the start button which means you remove that execution barrier.

gently caress that's handy. My R button is slowly dying from all the abuse I've put it through and this should make that way more manageable.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
I'm making the gore Charging Blade specifically to murder Tigrex with (gently caress him) but S.Magala isn't in my quest lists at all, what the gently caress.

Anyone know how I can get it other than getting to HR6? Apparently killing his urgent quest didn't give me a normal quest of it :confused:

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Haquer posted:

I'm making the gore Charging Blade specifically to murder Tigrex with (gently caress him) but S.Magala isn't in my quest lists at all, what the gently caress.

Anyone know how I can get it other than getting to HR6? Apparently killing his urgent quest didn't give me a normal quest of it :confused:

It's an Advanced quest so it only shows up randomly. You can go do the 1* deliver meat quest to quickly reroll.

Somebody finally made an English version of how to get specific expedition/guild quest monsters. Now if only the RNG would stop messing with me so I could make Basarios Rock!

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 20, 2015

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Haquer posted:

It's an advanced quest so it's on a rotation system. Do another quest and it might appear.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

It's an advanced quest so it's on a rotation system. Do another quest and it might appear.

Haha that is the dumbest poo poo. Thanks.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Pretty sure advanced quests rotate when you abandon, so just do that. Either that or start an expedition and immediately return to town.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Continuing the elemental questions... my lance choices right now are one with 299 raw, and one with 253 raw 220 water. Unless the monster is outright weak to water, the raw one is better for damage, right?

(this is me acknowledging that this poo poo doesn't matter in LR)

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

gigawhite posted:

Pretty sure advanced quests rotate when you abandon, so just do that. Either that or start an expedition and immediately return to town.

But what if there's a poogie

I have to save him :ohdear:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Zo posted:

sleepbombing level 140 Kirin/Kirin sub is the easiest and fastest one for random pubbing since it's almost impossible to gently caress up. skills are special atk+2, bomber, minds eye, and razor sharp and snowman immune if you can, weapon is ples sns or ds.

if you have good gear (750+ defense with relevant skills and atk ultimate forged weapon or better excavated) then hunting 140 rajangs and teos are the most fun and rewarding

basically hunt whatever you want as long as they are level 140

nobody farms the treasure areas, just go when it comes up

What if you just want the high level charms / armor spheres that are locked into Grank everwood - could you get those from 130-+ Velocidrones?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Continuing the elemental questions... my lance choices right now are one with 299 raw, and one with 253 raw 220 water. Unless the monster is outright weak to water, the raw one is better for damage, right?

Normally yeah, but running through the calculator with those numbers, those two lances are going to be pretty much the same for most monsters. For a monster outright weak to water the water one will be better. For a monster that's immune to water or close to it the raw one will be better. For everything in between they'll be about the same.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Normally yeah, but running through the calculator with those numbers, those two lances are going to be pretty much the same for most monsters. For a monster outright weak to water the water one will be better. For a monster that's immune to water or close to it the raw one will be better. For everything in between they'll be about the same.

Yep, and thing is you can really guess which monsters are going to be completely immune to water; there shouldn't be a ton and it'll be stuff like Zamtrios or whatever. I haven't seen the numbers and I can pretty safely guess that Rathalos is going to have at least a 1.0 water mod if not more like 1.5 or 2.0.

Both weapons are fine, so pick whichever you like.

Or better yet, why not both? Then bring the water one when you think it'll be okay (most of the time) and swap to raw if you fight somebody really water.

With no swimming though it doesn't seem like there's much real water element. Zamtrios is more ice, but I figure he has water resists too. Who else would? I guess a couple of the monsters that have the waterblight spit? Still, not many in this MH.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Ciaphas posted:

My hard and fast rules for this is that 10 points of raw damage for lance is 1 point of real damage, using a upstab and rathalos head for reference. Elemental is a tenth of the value, then a third of that for best performance. This allows you to quickly compare lances without dragging out a calculator.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Jumping on monsters with a Lance is more fun than it has any right being.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
For those looking for a grip for their New XL:

http://www.eachmall.com/goods-43600-51876.html

Worth a shot, for me it ended up being just over $7 for shipping to NJ, so I'm gonna try it out and see if it's a flimsy piece of poo poo or actually pretty good. We'll see!

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

If you don't have 6+ different types of your chosen weapon representing all the elements then you're playing wrong. Or you have a CB/IG.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Do monsters seem to drop more stuff, or armor cost less to make in this game compared to FU/3/3U? Because I feel like making equipment is way less grindy, but I might just be getting lucky.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Lexorin posted:

If you don't have 6+ different types of your chosen weapon representing all the elements then you're playing wrong. Or you have a CB/IG.

If I can make it and it'll take me to the end of a tree, I make it. I mostly just play dual blades though. I guess it would be annoying having that many of every weapon type

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Lexorin posted:

Repping the SnS. This is my life. I have enough swords to outfit a small army.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Lexorin posted:

Or a greatsword. Who needs elemental damage when you can make a big raw damage sword.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Are there any skills useful speciffically for insect glaive users? A lot of weapons seem to have a few skills designed for their specific mechanic, but there doesn't appear to be one for the glaive.

I'm not counting the rodeo improving skills, since everyone can do those if there's a ledge nearby. :shrug:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Are there any skills useful speciffically for insect glaive users? A lot of weapons seem to have a few skills designed for their specific mechanic, but there doesn't appear to be one for the glaive.

I'm not counting the rodeo improving skills, since everyone can do those if there's a ledge nearby. :shrug:

Yeah but they're uniquely good for IG. That's like saying you can't say felyne bombardier is good for gunlance because everyone can lay barrel bombs

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Or a greatsword. Who needs elemental damage when you can make a big raw damage sword.

I decided to rekindle my GS love and made a Pincer Sword for expeditions and other things I don't feel like gunning. I forgot how great it was to hit a monster so hard it flinches with the very first attack.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Evade 1/2/3, HG earplugs, S+1 are all valid for glaives, much like anything else.

The only real other buff you want is the end-of-Grank bug effect that doubles essence time.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Maybe I should use the dual swords? They seem fun enough and all the sharpening issues can probably be solved with speed sharpening and sharpness+1 or something. Hmm...

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i used brachy ds in 3u for awhile they are pretty cool

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Dual Swords got a big improvement this game with a really cool whirlwind spinny dash attack. They also still have the demon dance 11 hit wonder and are overall a pretty twitchy weapon. Sharpness is a pain but they can be sweet.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Actually, I remember my specific beef with the DS - it felt like if I wasn't in Demon Mode 100% of the time, I was being a subpar hunter. So I had to synth lots of Mega Dash Juice. But now I see there's some sort of better status where you only need to do a set number of damage in Demon Mode? Or maybe that was always there.

Basically I am bad at Monster Hunter.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

LordHippoman posted:

Do monsters seem to drop more stuff, or armor cost less to make in this game compared to FU/3/3U? Because I feel like making equipment is way less grindy, but I might just be getting lucky.

It feels pretty much the same to me. My 12 HR monoblos kills can attest to that

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Dual blades is awesome. The sharpness issues really aren't that bad in rooms with other people. I only find it a little annoying on monsters where bouncing is a serious issue. Even then you learn to work around it pretty fast

Volt Catfish posted:

Actually, I remember my specific beef with the DS - it felt like if I wasn't in Demon Mode 100% of the time, I was being a subpar hunter. So I had to synth lots of Mega Dash Juice. But now I see there's some sort of better status where you only need to do a set number of damage in Demon Mode? Or maybe that was always there.

Basically I am bad at Monster Hunter.

You just need to hit the end of the meter in demon mode and then keep some juice in the meter and you're good. Two or three demon dance attacks in demon mode will do it for you. Online it isn't that hard to find an opening for it if you know the monster's attacks.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Rodeo God is particularly good for IG, and you should be doing the mounts in a group if you get it

unforch there's no better or interesting ones for IG, it looks like most of your note-worthy perks are on some of the later endgame kinsects

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008

gigawhite posted:

It feels pretty much the same to me. My 12 HR monoblos kills can attest to that

:hfive:

He just refused to drop his heart.

On the bright side, I got 10 Wyvern Gems and a lot of Hunting Horn practice, and the Monoblos set is rad, especially with a 3-slot talisman on top of it.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Crown Face posted:

:hfive:

He just refused to drop his heart.

On the bright side, I got 10 Wyvern Gems and a lot of Hunting Horn practice, and the Monoblos set is rad, especially with a 3-slot talisman on top of it.

Monobros :hfive: Between that and the Stygian set, I've been pretty set for HR so far

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

Dual blades is awesome. The sharpness issues really aren't that bad in rooms with other people. I only find it a little annoying on monsters where bouncing is a serious issue. Even then you learn to work around it pretty fast

You just need to hit the end of the meter in demon mode and then keep some juice in the meter and you're good. Two or three demon dance attacks in demon mode will do it for you. Online it isn't that hard to find an opening for it if you know the monster's attacks.

It seems like the A,A combo spinning jump attack adds a ton to the meter. I use it to fill the bar and just use it once every now and then to top it off.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
For the Charge Blade, with the start button trick, is hitting start the same as hitting X+A in any mode, or is it its own slightly different thing?

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Thoom posted:

For the Charge Blade, with the start button trick, is hitting start the same as hitting X+A in any mode, or is it its own slightly different thing?

Usually the special/kick button does the same thing as X+A but it seems like the Sword->Axe special button treats the move as though it's mid-combo (e.g., you get a Guard Point during the transform) so it's marginally better if you're idle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Usually the special/kick button does the same thing as X+A but it seems like the Sword->Axe special button treats the move as though it's mid-combo (e.g., you get a Guard Point during the transform) so it's marginally better if you're idle.

To be clear, you can do the guard point morph from neutral with R+X, but it's so easy to hit R a split second early and wreck yourself that most people recommend you to do it mid-combo instead.

• Locked thread