Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I googled out of curiousity and uhhhhh :eyepop:

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Pook Good Mook posted:

Oh of course but that wasn't the reference they were going for. If that was the case Batman could have just given Prometheus the skills of his gardner.
Yeah, Batman clearly thinks he's giving this dude Hawking's disorder...which is kinda hosed up :lol:

And I share in the general irritation at Bane getting chumped at the end there, having his purpose kind of completely diminished and then getting taken out with a snarky line. I'm glad none of the silly comic book venom luchador genius poo poo got ported over though, Nolan's grim "superhero realism" style or whatever can be tiring but I generally prefer it to straight up porting over some of this comic book stuff because it's just straight up goofball. Comic book Bane is too...well...cartoony.
Hardy's Bane was muscular and physically intimidating enough without having to go over the top and into bodybuilder range or whatever. I also just don't really like (although admittedly I'm not really into comics or superhero stuff or ever read any) those villains who all like "NOT ONLY AM I THE TOP GENIUS BUT I ALSO HAVE A SCHWARZENEGGER BODY"...it's just kind of meh to me. That's why I prefer a Luthor who isn't like, a super muscular kung-fu master or whatever (which is why I look forward to the upcoming Zuckerberg Luthor).

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 23:21 on Feb 20, 2015

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dolph Lundgren must just blow your loving mind

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Light Gun Man posted:

That gate noise drives me up the loving wall, so very overused. Oh look they are moving a prison door? Brace for stock sound!
That example is exactly the thing I was coming to post about. In the Sleepy Hollow television pilot, Crane is locked up and put in a holding cell. Door opens, stock sound; door closes, exact same sound. It just lodged in my brain and stuck there for the next two episodes.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a police sound that plays over the radio whenever they're at a crime scene, sounds like "Plain and southbound 128" that drives me insane. A guy I knew once put it in the background of an episode of "Bad Girls Club" because I hate it so much

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
In the opening credits of american horror stories the sound they use for a creepy bug buzzing sou,ds like a bodacious fart

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.
I heard the Diddy Kong laugh pre-Diddy Kong Racing in around 1992 on a weird 'fun' word processor for kids - it used to randomly play in the background when you selected a particular skin for the program. It has haunted me ever since.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
They could have made the venom thing work with Bane since all it is is basically a super steroid. I mean a super steroid is more plausible than his bathovercraft thing.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Here's the other cop chatter sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dklA4-ACN4k&t=25s

and the dreaded gate squeak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcLrmmLcKDA&t=2s

Has anyone also heard the car turning off sound? It usually used for beat up cars, and I first heard it in the Driver games. I can't seem to find it but almost any movie with a car will play it. It sort of sound like : clunk..ka clunk.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

mustard_tiger posted:

Has anyone also heard the car turning off sound? It usually used for beat up cars, and I first heard it in the Driver games. I can't seem to find it but almost any movie with a car will play it. It sort of sound like : clunk..ka clunk.

Yeah, I know exactly the one you're talking about. They play that sound whenever a car runs out of petrol or dies on the side of the road. Some lazy motherfuckers in Hollywood.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Pook Good Mook posted:

Oh of course but that wasn't the reference they were going for. If that was the case Batman could have just given Prometheus the skills of his gardner.

Nah, that's probably Alfred, and the guy knows a thing or two about fighting.

As for Bane... I thought he was the scientist who invented Venom, but he was also addicted to it and it gave him one hell of a case of 'roid rage. So, like many of Batman's villains, it's his own flaw that means he defeats himself.

Or, to put it another way, Batman is assaulting the mentally ill and putting them into an institution with something near a 0% success rate for cures.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
re. Batmans

I've not watched all of the Gotham series episodes yet, but I like that Alfred is a hands-on kind of guy that can do more than just serve eggs and tea.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well in the comics he's killed a Predator and faced off against a Terminator, so

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Well in the comics he's killed a Predator and faced off against a Terminator, so

What.

Why are comics allowed to publish this poo poo, but movies are held to some sort of realism standard? gently caress that, I want a real comic book movie now.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He also kicked the poo poo out of Superman.

Dude's hardcore.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

mng posted:

What.

Why are comics allowed to publish this poo poo, but movies are held to some sort of realism standard? gently caress that, I want a real comic book movie now.

As long as he's played by Michael Caine again. :allears:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mng posted:

What.

The absurdity of comics made much more sense to me when my comic nerd best friend explained to me that all long-running comics are essentially fanfiction. All of the original writers are long gone and we're left with people doing crazy poo poo with other peoples' characters.

And that's why Doc Ock inhabited Spider-man's body and dated a genius dwarf while Spidey's mind hung out in another dimension.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

The absurdity of comics made much more sense to me when my comic nerd best friend explained to me that all long-running comics are essentially fanfiction. All of the original writers are long gone and we're left with people doing crazy poo poo with other peoples' characters.

And that's why Doc Ock inhabited Spider-man's body and dated a genius dwarf while Spidey's mind hung out in another dimension.

Huh! That kinda makes sense.

I'm not going to try to verify your second paragraph, but I bet it's a 80/20 split for it to be true.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's entirely true.

The films might not be perfect but compared to the source material, good grief.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Comic books are a lot like dreams, the absurdity of them gives it a sense in a way, it's probably why the strange and fantastic wouldn't fit into a movie without becoming say Batman forever redux or an Adam west Batman.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Rysithusiku posted:

Someone tweet this to Stephen Hawking.

I've always wondered if, when you are famous, you are somehow always made aware of people referencing you. Like does your publicist call you up and say, "Stephen, you'll never believe how bat man just defeated his archnemesis this week..."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

mng posted:

Uhh...have you seen the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

They have god-like beings with essentially magic technology, a talking, genetically engineered and cybernetic raccoon, a tree-man, and pretty soon, a man who will be able to do literal magic (not the "looks like magic but can just be called advanced technology" of the Asgardians, Dark Elves, etc...)

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Avengers & Guardians of the Galaxy :

if Thanos is the most powerful being in the universe why does he send scrubs like Ronan and Loki after the Infinity Gems? Why not just waltz in and take them?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Because he isn't omnipotent.

An actual Irritating Moment now: you know how movies often do that thing where they pretend the song playing on the soundtrack is on the radio of the car someone is driving, and when the car stops it gets louder for a bit as the door opens then muffled when the door is closed? Species did it with an open-topped car.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zaphod42 posted:

There's more back-and-forth with the foil, less commitment to a single strike, yeah. But this still highlights the point I made above; that real swordfighting is more about posturing and then its over pretty drat quick. You say "not nearly so quick" and compared to sabre it is, but compare that to a movie swordfight and its still extremely short.

I think using competitive fencing as an example of what "real swordfighting" should look like is probably not a good idea. The objective of a guy fencing for the gold medal is to win the point. The objective of a person with a sword fighting another person with a sword is to not die. If you lose a point in fencing, you swear a bit and accept a silver metal. If you get stabbed with an actual sword in pre-antibiotic society you're seriously hurting or dead.

That's not to say that really trying to kill each other with swords is going to look like it did in Rob Roy (although who cares if it doesn't, that scene is loving badass) or The Duellists, but it's not going to look like fencing, either.

Interesting videos here: http://www.thearma.org/Videos/TPVideos.htm

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Phanatic posted:

I think using competitive fencing as an example of what "real swordfighting" should look like is probably not a good idea.

Comparing fencing to actual swordfighting is like comparing fancy form-based tae kwon do or whatever to krav maga. One is an art form, the other is just beating the everloving poo poo out of each other.

I once saw a site that had stories of historical sword duels, and half the winners died three days after the fight from a sucking chest wound. The old joke about the winner of a knife fight being the one that dies at the hospital while the loser dies on the scene applies to swords too.

Basically this is the only way to get out of a knife/sword fight unharmed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YyBtMxZgQs

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Isn't Alfred more of a valet than a butler?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

cheerfullydrab posted:

He's always been referred to as the Wayne's butler.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

Surely he's more of a bat man.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Your Gay Uncle posted:

if Thanos is the most powerful being in the universe why does he send scrubs like Ronan and Loki after the Infinity Gems? Why not just waltz in and take them?

he's got space chairs that need sittin in

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Also if Batman isn't an officer of the law, isn't it illegal to seek out people and punch them or tie them up or things like that? Or destroy their property? Even if they're criminals, isn't it also criminal to do what he's doing? If I downloaded some MP3s from Kazaa in 2004, does that mean Batman can come into my apartment tonight and hit me in the face? If not, what's stopping him? He doesn't have a judge to decide how much wrongdoing is an appropriate amount to warrant a home invasion/assault. When it comes to right or wrong, legal or illegal, all Batman has are the thoughts rolling around inside his head. If he focuses on you as an "evildoer" you might be facing some serious time filing insurance claims or learning how to walk again. Isn't that a bit terrifying?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

cheerfullydrab posted:

Also if Batman isn't an officer of the law, isn't it illegal to seek out people and punch them or tie them up or things like that? Or destroy their property? Even if they're criminals, isn't it also criminal to do what he's doing? If I downloaded some MP3s from Kazaa in 2004, does that mean Batman can come into my apartment tonight and hit me in the face? If not, what's stopping him? He doesn't have a judge to decide how much wrongdoing is an appropriate amount to warrant a home invasion/assault. When it comes to right or wrong, legal or illegal, all Batman has are the thoughts rolling around inside his head. If he focuses on you as an "evildoer" you might be facing some serious time filing insurance claims or learning how to walk again. Isn't that a bit terrifying?

This is literally the plot of almost every Batman comic book ever. There's a reason Batman only trusts a few cops like Commissioner Gordon.

Freddles
Feb 5, 2009
Applies to many films, but most recent is Jupiter Ascending:
We've got hyper-advanced technology, these guys have been travelling around space for a billion years or so, yet some parts of the technology is so dated. They manually aim and fire at things, rather than having a computer doing it more or less instantly and flawlessly. They use paper, or worse, big clunky chunks of metal for signing poo poo. An ipad is thinner, slicker, and more robust than the hunks of metal they use in that movie, and has better visuals. I get that the aiming thing is for tension reasons, but still annoys me somewhat when I see movies which are set around 50 years in the future (like Minority Report) where the technology is in many ways better than a movie with technology that's supposedly thousands/millions of years ahead. Or worse, when the advanced technology isn't even as good as things we have already developed today.

One other complaint about that movie. They said they killed off the dinosaurs to make way for the humans, but they also said they seeded the humans on Earth 150,000 years ago. that's a heck of a lot of forward thinking, good they had the patience to wait 64 million years. And did that dude say his boots allow him to surf on a "differential equation"?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe they have like, way way too much of that metal and it's not good for anything else so they said gently caress it and use it for paper? I dunno.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Uhh...have you seen the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

They have god-like beings with essentially magic technology, a talking, genetically engineered and cybernetic raccoon, a tree-man, and pretty soon, a man who will be able to do literal magic (not the "looks like magic but can just be called advanced technology" of the Asgardians, Dark Elves, etc...)

Not silly and insane enough :colbert:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cheerfullydrab posted:

He is, but they insist on calling him a butler anyway, presumably because whoever first came up with the character didn't know the difference and they feel it's too late to change it now.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Isn't sitting down while others walk around for you the entire appeal of power? There's no point having a dog but barking yourself.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

cheerfullydrab posted:

In the old Adam West series, Batman and Robin were duly deputised by Commissioner Gordon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

mng posted:

Not silly and insane enough :colbert:

It's only because this stuff looks less insane when you're watching it in the moment and are invested in it. It's pretty fuckin weird dude.