Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

ilkhan posted:

I just laughed at the very idea of a recaro child seat.

Recaro is a seating company, people always think of the race seats, but they do a lot more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

KillHour posted:

I showed my (soon to be ex) wife those strollers awhile ago to make fun of them. She said she was already planning on buying one when we had kids.

Mine just looked at the classifieds (papers/internet) and bought a s/h one for $40 (lots of grand parents buy these things to save hassle on transporting them so they can take babies on walks when baby sitting). They sell them cheap when no longer needed and no one to give them to, because their friends are like 70 y/o and other grand children might live in another state.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 19, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TKIY posted:

From the Hot Hatch thread:

So yeah, contacting the dealership today. That puts it firmly at/under Golf R pricing if there are no dealer markups. That's a *big* if though.

Yeah, I think what's going to make or break me on getting an RS to replace my WRX will be how big of a pain in the rear end it will be. If I can order one with the stuff I want and pay invoice (or a tiny bit above), where do I sign? I have to deal with crappy dealerships marking them up citing rarity or demand, I'll pass.

The past two cars I've purchased have been negotiated entirely by email and I had a firm (and what I felt was fair) price before I even stepped into the dealership. Hopefully buying an RS will be that easy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I think what's going to make or break me on getting an RS to replace my WRX will be how big of a pain in the rear end it will be. If I can order one with the stuff I want and pay invoice (or a tiny bit above), where do I sign? I have to deal with crappy dealerships marking them up citing rarity or demand, I'll pass.

The past two cars I've purchased have been negotiated entirely by email and I had a firm (and what I felt was fair) price before I even stepped into the dealership. Hopefully buying an RS will be that easy.

But if you get a new car, who is going to pay to change your avatar? Try to work that into the negotiations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sanchez posted:

Recaro is a seating company, people always think of the race seats, but they do a lot more than that.

Don't they also do airline seats and poo poo like that? I think Lufthansa uses their new seats, which are thin as all gently caress and sculpted to give more legroom while still being able to pack the same number of seats on the plane. They weren't terribly comfortable, but I'd take a slightly numb rear end over having my knees jammed into the seat in front of me any day.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TKIY posted:

So yeah, contacting the dealership today. That puts it firmly at/under Golf R pricing if there are no dealer markups. That's a *big* if though.

There will be dealer markups at first. The number they make will have a big influence on how big they are and how long they keep trying to get them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

KillHour posted:

But if you get a new car, who is going to pay to change your avatar? Try to work that into the negotiations.

Hasn't changed in 12 years, no reason to change it now. It just IS.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

sanchez posted:

Probably true (I don't feel like verifying, because:) but totally irrelevant to the humor of the statement.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

There will be dealer markups at first. The number they make will have a big influence on how big they are and how long they keep trying to get them.

Even after the markups finally die, they'll probably get sticker for them for the entirety of the first model year. There's often not a lot of wiggle room on cars like that.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Cage posted:

I drive a lowered car in the summer and a suv in the winter, I'm able to see more in the suv but my driving in the lowered car hasn't been affected by big suvs around me. I see more tires than body most of the time but who cares? It would be an issue if I drove it in the winter because of not being able to see over snowbanks but I dont.

I drive my lowered car in the winter and every corner is Russian roulette now that there is like 3 feet of snow everywhere :(

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Nodoze posted:

I drive my lowered car in the winter and every corner is Russian roulette now that there is like 3 feet of snow everywhere :(

Careful man, I drove my mustang the first winter I had it and it was so low that I banged up my exhaust pretty good and now I have an exhaust tick.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PT6A posted:

Don't they also do airline seats and poo poo like that? I think Lufthansa uses their new seats, which are thin as all gently caress and sculpted to give more legroom while still being able to pack the same number of seats on the plane. They weren't terribly comfortable, but I'd take a slightly numb rear end over having my knees jammed into the seat in front of me any day.

Yes, I've seen airline Recaro seats. I don't remember exactly where but I probably was on a United or Alaska 737-800/900.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
The bus that took me from the overnight lot to the airport had a Recaro driver seat. Recaro makes seats for all types of vehicles.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
I've got one and it's comparable to other seats of the same quality or safety.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ilkhan posted:

its actually a really good seat, so much better than the Graco in my wife's car.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Just look at this though..it's like a tiny racing seat:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Koirhor posted:

its actually a really good seat, so much better than the Graco in my wife's car.

Agreed. I had that red one above and moved up to the next size seats for both of our cars. They're built like tanks.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

It's one of those things where at first you think "haha a race car seat for babies, that's silly, babies don't need race car seats!" Then you actually think about it and realize, wait, this is a company known for providing strong, supportive, and high quality seats that are certified and entrusted to be used in motorsport racing to protect from all the forces and collisions that entails. If anything they probably have mountains of collision data available to them to help build a proper car seat that a baby-seat specific manufacturer may not. It really does make sense.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

angryhampster posted:

So that's like a baby car seat inside the normal child car seat they "graduate" to once they're large enough? Seems like a good idea. I keep forgetting kids today need baby seats until they're like 12 because in my day you just went straight to buckling up after you were too big for the baby seat. Geezum crow I remember at age 12 my dad drove my first date and I home from the movie theater. I can't imagine both of us climbing into child safety seats like a couple of goddamn toddlers. Poor kids these days. At least they all get tablets and netflix.

Edit: okay I looked up the chart:

davebo fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 20, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It isn't really an age thing. It's when the kid is big enough that the seatbelt is applying forces to the right part of the body. Until then, a booster is needed.

My nephew is 8 and hasn't needed a booster for quite awhile.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's all about height, and to a smaller degree, weight. If the shoulder belt crosses over their neck? Keep them in a booster. My kid just turned 8 a couple months ago and still (though, barely) needs the booster.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I can't think of a single parent I know who has kids over 10 in booster seats. And these are the kind of parents that have their toddlers in safety helmets for the first 2 years.

It really is a size thing. My 10-year-old son is 4'11" and can sit in the front seat of my car. My 8-year-old daughter, on the other hand, is small for her age and needs a booster. Otherwise the shoulder belt sits on her neck.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

bull3964 posted:

It isn't really an age thing. It's when the kid is big enough that the seatbelt is applying forces to the right part of the body. Until then, a booster is needed.

My nephew is 8 and hasn't needed a booster for quite awhile.

You say it isn't an age thing, but I just played with the variables on the official government safety website and they don't give a drat that my 9 month old baby is 4 feet tall and 99 pounds, he apparently still belongs in the rear facing seat.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

davebo posted:

You say it isn't an age thing, but I just played with the variables on the official government safety website and they don't give a drat that my 9 month old baby is 4 feet tall and 99 pounds, he apparently still belongs in the rear facing seat.

Shocker, an online tool isn't programmed to react properly to parameters that aren't expected.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

davebo posted:

The requirements are stupid, but the "suggested" age limits are bonkers crazy.

If I told my 12 year old daughter to hop onto a booster seat, she'd think I was a madman. She's almost as tall as my wife. My 6 year old son uses a booster, and probably will for another year or so based on his height.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The only time that weight comes into play, really, is riding in the front seat with an airbag. If memory serves, they need to weigh at least 100 lbs before riding in the front seat of an airbag equipped vehicle.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So has anyone heard anything about a 2016 Genesis Coupe w/ a 3.3T making 400hp and AWD?

My dealer just called me and had a note on my file that said I would be interested in an AWD version of the coupe if it ever happened, and apparently this is coming now?

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Tide posted:

The only time that weight comes into play, really, is riding in the front seat with an airbag. If memory serves, they need to weigh at least 100 lbs before riding in the front seat of an airbag equipped vehicle.

The sensor(s) in front seats are getting pretty advanced and this is far less an issue than it used to be. From the factory, a car should be able to weigh your rear end (literally) with more precision than a lot of bathroom scales.

Depending on the vehicle, they can tell with some degree of accuracy how you're sitting as well, to adjust which airbags go off and when, to better compensate for people sitting in non-ideal impact positions.

Unfortunately none of this is included in the industry standardized crash safety testing, so you get some guys that do it better (Toyota, Volvo, Ford) and some that do it worse or not at all. At least that was the state of the industry mid-2012, but I haven't kept up with it since.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

angryhampster posted:

here is the adult version

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh hey a bunch of new posts, I wonder what's happening, more details on the new Miata? Apple going to buy GM?

Nope, more child seat chat.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MarsellusWallace posted:

The sensor(s) in front seats are getting pretty advanced and this is far less an issue than it used to be. From the factory, a car should be able to weigh your rear end (literally) with more precision than a lot of bathroom scales.

Depending on the vehicle, they can tell with some degree of accuracy how you're sitting as well, to adjust which airbags go off and when, to better compensate for people sitting in non-ideal impact positions.

Unfortunately none of this is included in the industry standardized crash safety testing, so you get some guys that do it better (Toyota, Volvo, Ford) and some that do it worse or not at all. At least that was the state of the industry mid-2012, but I haven't kept up with it since.

Every car (2014 Fusion SE, 2014 Santa Fe 2.0t, 2014 Frontier CC 4x4) we have has the sensors in the seat(s), and when he plops down in the front seat for a quick trip down the neighborhood or whatever, the AIRBAG OFF light comes on. At least I think it does on the Frontier.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tide posted:

Tell that to all the fully grown 90lb pixies out there.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Man where I came from we did poo poo the old fashioned way. There weren't any pussy childseats, I sat in my mom's lap until I was old enough to sit by myself in the back seat, without a fastened seatbelt in a country famous for horrible traffic accidents. I turned out fine. Yes that was very extreme and I'm not saying we should do that. But goddamn the North American obsession with putting their kids into a protective bubble and sheltering them from every imaginable and unimaginable danger.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
We also used to think cigarettes and coal were healthy.

poo poo changes. It doesn't mean the old way was better.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

iwentdoodie posted:

for your health!

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Kraftwerk posted:

Man where I came from we did poo poo the old fashioned way. There weren't any pussy childseats, I sat in my mom's lap until I was old enough to sit by myself in the back seat, without a fastened seatbelt in a country famous for horrible traffic accidents. I turned out fine. Yes that was very extreme and I'm not saying we should do that. But goddamn the North American obsession with putting their kids into a protective bubble and sheltering them from every imaginable and unimaginable danger.

If you got launched out of your windshield onto the pavement you wouldn't be fine though. That's the point

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

iwentdoodie posted:

There's a great Cosmos episode on Lead that covers this mentality perfectly.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

Nodoze posted:

Haha this guy lowered an S2000 in a place that gets snow!

My not lowered S2000 is terrifying to drive around Ohio State's campus (when feel like acting like it's 2009 again) without snow, much less with.

Uh, related to new cars, any word on if the '16 STi is gonna get the 2.0 liter or should I just save up for an ATS-V or M3?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Uh, related to new cars, any word on if the '16 STi is gonna get the 2.0 liter or should I just save up for an ATS-V or M3?

More likely the STi gets axed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Kraftwerk posted:

Good thing vehicle accidents are a very real and imaginable danger.

What a stupid rant.

Maybe you could find some parents who lost a child or had to watch their child suffer with a life long debilitating injury caused by an accident to agree with you :allears: