Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

BEHOLD, THE DRAMATIC REVEAL!

Gorman Thomas posted:

Yeah stand mixers aren't really bad with money unless it's a soccer mom's kitchen prop. Making your own bread is definitely good with money.

Seriously, this. Can't we just agree that "foodies" and people who are proud of being unable to cook are equally loathsome? Whether your cooking involves a stand mixer, a hand mixer, or just a whisk, the important thing is being able to feed yourself like a goddamn adult.

Bad with money: My previous supervisor complained about being broke all the time. On several occasions he was in a panic because of house or car repairs he couldn't afford, and since we shared an office I got to hear him arguing with his wife on the phone all the time about this or that expense. During the span I knew him, he:

* Was sending three kids to private school including participation in multiple sports

* Was buying fast food for breakfast and lunch almost every day

* Was splashing out on hobbies and then complaining he didn't have time to use what he bought because he was always either at work or ferrying the kids around.

* Moved to a bigger house in a more expensive part of town.

* Purchased custom tailored jeans made out of real Japanese denim :smug:. He got embarrassed when we asked how much that kind of thing costs and never did name a figure, but we made some guesses and pinned him down to roughly $200 per pair.

* Left to take a lower paying job because he didn't like being the department lead and wanted less responsibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Mantle posted:

My high school friend sold Cutco knives to my parents over 20 years now and we still use them. I always go for the French knife when I cook at their place because I like how the handle feels.

Although I bought a 7-piece set of Henckels Four Star knives in 2012 which I haven't removed from their box yet because I keep living with roommates which I don't trust with nice knives. Bad with money.
You're going to love the Four Stars once your don't have idiot roommates. I have had them all my life and I rather like em.

peter banana posted:

Unless it's for a very specific reason (and I mean you literally need a cattle dog for your herd), people who buy from breeders can get hosed. Go to the loving Humane Society and get a mutt that hasn't been inbred into a short, painful life.
I'm right there with you. gently caress buying from breeders. I have a purebred lab from a rescue, he's wonderful

Bloody Queef posted:

Look at Costco. I just bought a king sized mattress there with boxspring for $650. It's a name brand higher end model mattress (not that that means anything) but we were able to lay on it at the store and because it's Costco (and not electronics) we can pretty much return it between now and the time Costco goes out of business.

This was a special buy though, not sure if it's available nationwide and they sold out in 2 days.
I paid a little more for my queen, without box, but it's one of the most comfortable firm mattresses I've ever slept on. I have a horrid spine, so it's pretty important. Costco will replace it within 10 years, delivery included (if you paid delivery initially as I did), no hassle. My folks replaces theirs every 18mo because the king had to be folded in half to get up their stairs.

Not all warehouses have them on display for testing, call around. I had to drive about 20min away, welllll worth it!

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 21, 2015

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

slap me silly posted:

I don't know what the gently caress this is but I don't want to hear any more about it even in the Derails Megathread, thanks very much in advance

I think you have to admit that post was an interesting derail from the generally agonizing topic of how it is appropriate for one to consume food in this thread

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Armacham posted:

I will fight you.

Anyway my mixer was free from my Grandma.

I will back up anyone defending the honour of stand mixers. My kitchen aid has paid for itself in pizza crust alone.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I think you have to admit that post was an interesting derail from the generally agonizing topic of how it is appropriate for one to consume food in this thread

I will admit anything if it spares me from more butter creame bulger muff-caking supreme.

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.

opus111 posted:

the gently caress? where is this???

Vauxhall. I have one room in a two bed flat (shared with friends who are a married couple). It's a nice place but not huge. Possibly it is a bit underpriced as the landlord inherited the property and has not been that bothered about it. They are selling it this year so we will either get kicked out or have a new landlord and updated rent price... so we'll see.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

AgrippaNothing posted:

From a weird hipster who threw a dinner party and invited a mom that blew zerberts on everyone's stomach which she called a "tummy" and did other weird loving infantalizing poo poo till everyone was making yummy sounds every time they crammed some baby poached candied poo poo in their mouths. Then she spanked everyone during cake to heighten the naughty feeling of eating butter creame bulger muff-caking supreme. The hipster cooked but the mom definitely made the meal. Afterwards I got a boner thinking about how sneaky I was when I smoked in high school after that and now all my meals have to be preciously delicious and suppulent hog breakfasts, hog luncheons, hog teas and hog dinners.

Once a year we get a post like this and it totally redeems the thread from all the house/car/food/child derails. AgrippaNothing has washed away our sins.

gently caress dog breeders.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

AgrippaNothing posted:

From a weird hipster who threw a dinner party and invited a mom that blew zerberts on everyone's stomach which she called a "tummy" and did other weird loving infantalizing poo poo till everyone was making yummy sounds every time they crammed some baby poached candied poo poo in their mouths. Then she spanked everyone during cake to heighten the naughty feeling of eating butter creame bulger muff-caking supreme. The hipster cooked but the mom definitely made the meal. Afterwards I got a boner thinking about how sneaky I was when I smoked in high school after that and now all my meals have to be preciously delicious and suppulent hog breakfasts, hog luncheons, hog teas and hog dinners.

please don't post my Thursday nights

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Dessert Rose posted:

please don't post my Thursday nights

Well it's either this or drinking vodka with a group of goths. I guess it's the drinking tonight then. Cooking up a hog can wait until there are less vegans around.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
Bad with Money: my coworker.

We work in a length-of-service based pay field (automotive manufacturing), and the job is incredibly secure, so this is the one thing he has going for him. We hired in on the same day, so we make the same amount. ~20/hr, lots of overtime, which comes out, for me, to ~2800/month net. His health insurance is about 250/month more expensive than mine on account of his family (I'm individual), so we'll call his net pay 2550/month.

Anyway, on to the good stuff.

-Married with 2 kids from her previous encounters, with another on the way next month. 3 kids, 3 dads. Not collecting child support because one is unemployed and one is in prison. He is the sole earner. Wife has never had a job and never finished high school or got her GED.
-Bought a new Dodge Dart a bit over a year ago. Didn't really like it, so he traded it in on a new Dodge Journey, eating a 9k loss since the loan was so new (with no down payment). The total loan is ~35k for a 25k car, before interest.
-Bought a house last year for about 80k. FHA loan with the minimum down payment.
-In-laws moved in with them almost immediately after the home purchase after their "basement flooded". Months and months later, they still haven't been able to move back. I'm thinking they were foreclosed on.
-Recently bought a 2012 Subaru Legacy w/80k miles on it for about 15 to "save on gas" (he lives about a half hour from work). This brings his total car payments to 920/month. He is the only one in the household with a license.
-Immediately bought new rims and tires for the Legacy, on his Discount Tire credit card. ~1200
-Had a ton of store credit card debt, with minimums running him 350/month. His In-laws cashed out their 401k (total balance of 24k) and gave him 6k because they never paid him a dime for the months they were living there, not even groceries. He used this and his 7k tax return to pay off the cards which was smart, but then used the last of it to buy a new TV for 1k.

I total his monthly car based expenses to be close to 1400/mo, which is pretty much my total monthly bills. Throw in the house, utilities, cell phone, cable, internet, etc, and you get really close to his total income before you even factor in groceries and whatnot.

He pretty consistently has less than $20 in his account, and to get around that, he took pay advances from the bank, losing $100 a check for the trouble. Problem is, they will only do this for 6 months, which he found out recently.

He has nothing saved for when the baby comes next month. We're all assuming something is getting repo'd within the next 6 months.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
My wife's one cousin has just gotten into Jamberry, which when looking it up is a pretty obvious Pyramid Scheme. We are friends, but we aren't super close since she lives far away. She is super into it on Facebook right now, she just graduated from college, hated her career so now she is just working at target for a bit, so I think it's the whole sense of purpose thing.

Say something or not say something?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Say something if you're okay with potentially ostracizing yourself. A lot of people involved in these things have a lot of pride in it, especially young people.

Generally people don't quit until they've been through a lot of self-inflicted stress.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

pathetic little tramp posted:

Hahaha the housing market in California is so lovely people are literally living in a shack and renting out their house to own a house. At some point as you sit in your toolshed making GBS threads into a hole, or at some point when you dive your rusty garden trowel into the lime bag, or at some point when you flip over your pillow of straw hoping the other side is somehow cooler, you'd imagine there's a little voice in your brain that whispers, "This is loving dumb."

You would actually think the tiny house movement would be great for something like this.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

TLG James posted:

You would actually think the tiny house movement would be great for something like this.

There may be zoning problems with that. If not I'd be inclined to agree.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

There may be zoning problems with that. If not I'd be inclined to agree.

Seriously, you can't even build one of those in Houston. There's no hope in any area that's even vaguely urban or suburban.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

zamin posted:

-Recently bought a 2012 Subaru Legacy w/80k miles on it for about 15 to "save on gas" (he lives about a half hour from work). This brings his total car payments to 920/month. He is the only one in the household with a license.

Some perspective: that's the same amount I pay on my 60 month Lamborghini loan.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

SlapActionJackson posted:

Seriously, you can't even build one of those in Houston. There's no hope in any area that's even vaguely urban or suburban.

The reason they're built on trailers is to skirt codes (not so much electrical/plumbing/etc but minimum sizes), whether a "homemade RV" can be occupied by a full-time resident depends on local laws. In a lot of cases even if it's not kosher, if you've got it in the back yard the only way authorities would know is if you pissed off the neighbors.

Jan 11, 2004

Comrade Flynn posted:

Yeah they could definitely be driving a Lambo for only $920 a month

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The reason they're built on trailers is to skirt codes (not so much electrical/plumbing/etc but minimum sizes), whether a "homemade RV" can be occupied by a full-time resident depends on local laws. In a lot of cases even if it's not kosher, if you've got it in the back yard the only way authorities would know is if you pissed off the neighbors.

Perhaps via the stink from your poo poo bucket?

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Comrade Flynn posted:

To be fair, your down payment (IIRC) was just under the total value of their total assets.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
My god it's full of stars

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2wpdmc/lent_a_friend_30k_with_a_cc_check_under/

quote:

Long story short, 6 years ago, I let [my friend] borrow $30k using my credit card check. He was supposed to pay off the credit card in 3 months from an expected large cash windfall. That check never came. Today, the debt is at $17k.

However, the reality is 6 years later, I'm considering getting married, buying a home,

I'm founder w/ 2 other partners on a startup. My take home pay is approx $30k a year which isn't terrific, but I get by without any major hardships. With the way business is looking I'm hoping to make that close to equivalent of $80k by end of this year.

Personal Finances: I have $33k in a savings account (0.2% interest). $0 personal credit card debt. $180k in student loans. Total Credit Utilization at 28%

I used VA student benefits to go to undergrad AND graduate school. Thus, I needed a lot more than the VA provided. In addition, I decided to forego a standard corporate job after graduating and began a start up.

$180k in student loans.

Credit Card: The current debt is around $17.3k. The interest rate is 7.75 (PRIME+4.5%).

Wait, what?

quote:

$0 personal credit card debt.

Credit Card: The current debt is around $17.3k.

Ohhhh...

quote:

I let him borrow $30k using my credit card check

Credit Card: The current debt is around $17.3k.

$0 personal credit card debt.

I'm on a plane, the pilot is diving at the ground at a good 800 mph, I'm yelling pull up and he's saying "nah it's okay, the plane will be changing directions soon probably, and besides the copilot is the one who started the nosedive."

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Isn't there like a 5 figure yearly cap on VA benefits? How on Earth did he manage to run up $180k in debt?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
He says he needed more than the VA provided, so a lot of that is likely garden-variety student loans.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Not a Children posted:

Isn't there like a 5 figure yearly cap on VA benefits? How on Earth did he manage to run up $180k in debt?

VA benefits aren't loans. You can get loans on top of the GI bill.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Guess I phrased that poorly. I was more wondering how he could run up $180k in addition to the generous GI benefit. If he went with for-profits, though, I guess it'd be pretty easy...

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
GI Bill is basically enough for an undergrad degree at any public university. He had to have gone private, but still GI Bill should have covered so much of that. He says he also went to grad school, so I'm guessing he was one of those people that should not go to grad school and misses the "We are telling you not to go to grad school here by charging full price" signs.

^^^^Or yeah, UPhoenix.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
33K @ 0.2% interest?

Well, Ok then.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

strawberrymousse posted:

* Left to take a lower paying job because he didn't like being the department lead and wanted less responsibility.

i dont see why this is so bad, I did the same thing because I didn't think the pay was worth the extra stress.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

jaymeekae posted:

Vauxhall. I have one room in a two bed flat (shared with friends who are a married couple). It's a nice place but not huge. Possibly it is a bit underpriced as the landlord inherited the property and has not been that bothered about it. They are selling it this year so we will either get kicked out or have a new landlord and updated rent price... so we'll see.

the place i rented in zone 2 for £400 nearly 10 years ago is like £900 now... good luck, the city is just crazy rn innit.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

AgrippaNothing posted:

33K @ 0.2% interest?

Well, Ok then.

yeah, what the hell?? is he using a japanese bank or something lol

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

opus111 posted:

gently caress Japanese interest rates.

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 22, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

opus111 posted:

Go look at BoA or USB or Wells normal savings interest right now. I bet its around 10bp. I get 99bp from Ally, but most people don't bother to do that... 20bp sounds pretty decent for an average bank savings account these days.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Wow. What's stupider than loaning $30k to someone? Loaning $30k you don't have, and putting it on a credit card :aaaaa:

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

opus111 posted:

I'm more ragging on the fact that he's disclosing that fat gently caress all he's getting on the 30k. Even if he was earning an order of magnitude more it wouldn't touch the bottom of the poo poo pit he's in. My savings gets .2% but I don't sit on cash that's better off working so I don't care about the interest rate.

Tho it kinda irks me every now and again when I think about how the bank is taking a piss on me.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

canyoneer posted:

Wow. What's stupider than loaning $30k to someone? Loaning $30k you don't have, and putting it on a credit card :aaaaa:

And unless I'm misunderstanding it, a credit card cheque, i.e. those things they send in the mail that accrue higher interest rates because they're treated as cash advances.

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

BEHOLD, THE DRAMATIC REVEAL!

opus111 posted:

i dont see why this is so bad, I did the same thing because I didn't think the pay was worth the extra stress.

strawberrymousse posted:

* Was sending three kids to private school including participation in multiple sports

* Moved to a bigger house in a more expensive part of town.

I quoted the parts you needed to read the first time. Personally I would be willing to consider a pay cut to work a less stressful job, but I don't have kids and haven't bought more house than I can afford. Somebody who's locked into long-term high spending to the point where he goes days with his car in the shop because he can't pay for repairs... that guy has hosed himself out of that option, he needed his stressful job.

More bad with money from my work: The supervisor before that guy was addicted to junk shopping/flipping. Craigslist, Ebay, garage sales, estate sales, thrift stores: you name it, she was obsessed with it. God help you if you mentioned in her hearing that you were in the market for anything whatsoever, even stuff outside her 'expertise'. Once somebody said they were thinking of getting a house in another couple of years, and she spent the rest of the afternoon bombarding them with real estate links and randomly going into their office to personally show them the best results. She often bragged about all the money she was making (gross), but was always baffled and annoyed by her paycheck-to-paycheck existence. Because obviously when you flip used goods what should matter is that you got $50 for your item, not that you paid $48 for it across town and then held it for three months before finding a buyer.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

pig slut lisa posted:

From the "Overheard at work" thread on the MMM forum ("CW" is coworker):

Dog equity :psyduck:

ive been reading thsi thread from page 1 since you posted it and its got some good stories but some of the posters on that forum are proper weirdos about money!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

opus111 posted:

some of the posters on that forum are proper weirdos about money!

you should post about them

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
that forum is really annoying but not in a funny way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 11, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

that forum is really annoying but not in a funny way

It's quite the bunch of holier than thou busybodies