Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TKIY posted:

So has anyone heard anything about a 2016 Genesis Coupe w/ a 3.3T making 400hp and AWD?

My dealer just called me and had a note on my file that said I would be interested in an AWD version of the coupe if it ever happened, and apparently this is coming now?

So it'll weight 4000 lbs then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Koirhor posted:

More likely the STi gets axed

It gets the new 2.0l engine but with a CVT transmission, and its FWD only now.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

D C posted:

It gets the new 2.0l engine but with a CVT transmission, and its FWD only now.

you had me at CVT

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Kraftwerk posted:

Man where I came from we did poo poo the old fashioned way. There weren't any pussy childseats, I sat in my mom's lap until I was old enough to sit by myself in the back seat, without a fastened seatbelt in a country famous for horrible traffic accidents. I turned out fine. Yes that was very extreme and I'm not saying we should do that. But goddamn the North American obsession with putting their kids into a protective bubble and sheltering them from every imaginable and unimaginable danger.

This is why kids are complete fannies these days and it's hilarious.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Haha this guy lowered an S2000 in a place that gets snow!

My not lowered S2000 is terrifying to drive around Ohio State's campus (when feel like acting like it's 2009 again) without snow, much less with.

Uh, related to new cars, any word on if the '16 STi is gonna get the 2.0 liter or should I just save up for an ATS-V or M3?

With the Focus RS offering more than 305hp for less, and the Golf R coming, I feel like the STI will get a power bump soon, just as the WRX got a bump when the Lancer Ralliart came out. Otherwise it just won't be able to compete.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

Man where I came from we did poo poo the old fashioned way. There weren't any pussy childseats, I sat in my mom's lap until I was old enough to sit by myself in the back seat, without a fastened seatbelt in a country famous for horrible traffic accidents. I turned out fine. Yes that was very extreme and I'm not saying we should do that. But goddamn the North American obsession with putting their kids into a protective bubble and sheltering them from every imaginable and unimaginable danger.

That's about the stupidest poo poo I've read in awhile.

Pussy child seats, nice.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
As long as your child fits and doesn't exceed the weight rating of the chair, you should keep them rear facing. Rear facing is ALWAYS safer.

Safety for the growing child – Experiences from swedish accident data, Jakobsson et al, 2005, p 5 posted:

As can be seen in Figure 9, there is a
noticeable increase in MAIS 2+ injury rate if the
growing child switches from rearward-facing to
a forward-facing booster at around 3 years of
age. The injuries to the 2-4 year-olds in boosters
are mainly head injuries. Two children in frontal
impacts sustained spine fractures; one of them a
combination of fatal head and neck injuries. The
injury rate in a booster decreases somewhat
when the child grows older. At the switch to the
adult belt only, between age 7 and 10, there is a
remarkable increase in injury rate. The injuries
for these children are spread over the whole
body, with a distinct difference in abdomen
injuries, which are only seen for the belted-only
children. More than half of the MAIS 2+ injured
belted-only children aged 7-10 had AIS 2+
abdominal injuries.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Rear facing is ALWAYS safer.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
True story, when my little brother was 5ish I had a Ford Ranger and had to drive him somewhere, I put him in the back jumperseat with a hockey helmet on so he didnt hit his head on window since he was too small for the front seats still.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

davebo posted:

So that's like a baby car seat inside the normal child car seat they "graduate" to once they're large enough? Seems like a good idea. I

No, that's a regular convertible seat. The large base is because it can tilt backwards and be rear facing for infants, then forward facing for 1-4 y/o.
I've got one for my kid (not a fancy recaro though), and really removing the inlay does nothing for being useful when kids are 3y/o (depending on height).
He's already tall enough at 2 1/2 years old that the top strap setting is at or just below his shoulders, so will probably need a different seat or booster by the time he's 3
e: I think I can't use that convertible child seat as a booster because you need to use the seatbelt to secure the seat. But in saying that, I have no idea how booster seats are secured yet because I hadn't given it a thought before, but I think the big heavy base of these seats would just make them unstable, so probably need some light foam booster seat - just thinking out loud.

late edit:

VVV

Tide posted:

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding what you are saying
Probably, but my fault though, I should really go find my seats instructions before posting about it. Been really sick for 2 days, all I've had is a handful of popcorn, half bottle of gin, 4 cans guinness and 4 hours sleep in 48 hours

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 21, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Once they go to the convertible seats (and even booster (removing the back)), simply clip the seatbelt then pull the shoulder belt all the way out then let it feed back in nice and snug. It won't release until you press the seatbelt release.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding what you are saying

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tide posted:

The only time that weight comes into play, really, is riding in the front seat with an airbag. If memory serves, they need to weigh at least 100 lbs before riding in the front seat of an airbag equipped vehicle.

I look forward to telling my buddies wife that she is no longer allowed to ride in the front seat of motor vehicles. I'm not sure how this will affect her autocrossing, but I'm guessing it won't be positive.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Locator posted:

I look forward to telling my buddies wife that she is no longer allowed to ride in the front seat of motor vehicles. I'm not sure how this will affect her autocrossing, but I'm guessing it won't be positive.

Offer her a sandwich and a milkshake when you break it to her

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Put weights into her clothing like they do with jockeys.

Kraftwerk posted:

As almost everyone else has said, this is an inane argument to make. Was this approach tested out by you being involved in a moderate-speed accident while unrestrained? Have you considered that maybe the reason your country is "famous for horrible traffic accidents" is that it's full of people with an idiotic approach to safety?

People taking certain minimal-effort precautions to stop their offspring being pureed in a crash is not "putting their kids into a protective bubble and sheltering them from every imaginable and unimaginable danger".

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

People taking certain minimal-effort precautions to stop their offspring being pureed in a crash is not "putting their kids into a protective bubble and sheltering them from every imaginable and unimaginable danger".

No, seatbelts and child seats may not be, but Americans are loving insane when it comes to overprotection and helicopter parenting.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PCOS Bill posted:

No, seatbelts and child seats may not be, but Americans are loving insane when it comes to overprotection and helicopter parenting.
It's ironic that the anti-vaxxers stem from this same problem.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Viper915 posted:

It's one of those things where at first you think "haha a race car seat for babies, that's silly, babies don't need race car seats!" Then you actually think about it and realize, wait, this is a company known for providing strong, supportive, and high quality seats that are certified and entrusted to be used in motorsport racing to protect from all the forces and collisions that entails. If anything they probably have mountains of collision data available to them to help build a proper car seat that a baby-seat specific manufacturer may not. It really does make sense.

On the other hand, natural selection will work its magic on the kind of people who just reflexively dismiss these sorts of things away. Might take a generation for it to happen, but it will.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Bovril Delight posted:

So it'll weight 4000 lbs then?

I'm not sure I would care all that much if it was. The Gen Coupe is a GT car.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

PCOS Bill posted:

Incredibly true. I'm basically the worst parent and get dirty looks all the time from our friends with kids because I do such horrible things like let my daughter climb on rocks and trees. :shrug:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Incredibly true. I'm basically the worst parent and get dirty looks all the time from our friends with kids because I do such horrible things like let my daughter climb on rocks and trees. :shrug:

I have some young 20something relatives whose parents still get all butthurt if they do stuff like climb on trees and rocks because it's ~unsafe~

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Locator posted:

Hey I DID say "if memory serves"! Thinking back on that now, that does seem like a biiiiiit much.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TKIY posted:

I'm not sure I would care all that much if it was. The Gen Coupe is a GT car.

A terrible one. It should be competing with the muscle cars because of its cheap interior and price point. Not really a quality GT car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's not like there's a line that gets crossed where it's suddenly ok to be fat.

Like if a 5'7" person can sit in the back, it's a GT car and 4000lbs is ok. If a 5'7" can't sit in the back, it's a sports car and must be 3000lbs.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

PCOS Bill posted:

This is the argument I was making. I never advocated not using child seats. If you people read my post you'd see I said that. Because I explicitly said my example was extreme and I wasn't advocating it.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Bovril Delight posted:

A terrible one. It should be competing with the muscle cars because of its cheap interior and price point. Not really a quality GT car.

If the 2016 gets an overhaul to match the sedan that might not be the case anymore.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

eyebeem posted:

you had me at CVT

You're a bad person and you should feel bad about yourself. :colbert:

Neptr posted:

With the Focus RS offering more than 305hp for less, and the Golf R coming, I feel like the STI will get a power bump soon, just as the WRX got a bump when the Lancer Ralliart came out. Otherwise it just won't be able to compete.

I'd put my money on this if we were betting. Subaru isn't stupid and while they may not make a ton of money on the STI I think it serves its halo car purpose well. People like to paint the average Subaru buyer as flannel wearing eco outdoorsy type and while that may be a large part of their base, there are definitely a lot of aspirational buyers, at least around here (PNW), that end up in other cars in the lineup, but want the STI. I also know a lot of guys that are WRX/STI/BRZ drivers that get their wives to buy (or buy themselves) XVs, Foresters and/or Outbacks because of brand loyalty and/or convenience from shared parts, etc.

PCOS Bill posted:

My anecdotal toddler parent experience has been that this reputation is much less of a common reality than reporting, the Internet, etc would have us believe. I think it's similar to any niche opinion/belief/behavior these days, the Internet has allowed people that are statistically rare to find others like themselves and embolden each other in an echo chamber in part by making them feel less rare/insignificant.

On general kid seat chat I'll say that Recaro makes a decent looking and performing car seat, I think they're the best option out there for car enthusiasts.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

TKIY posted:

If the 2016 gets an overhaul to match the sedan that might not be the case anymore.

Doesn't the AWD sedan weigh more than a new F150?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

http://blogs.motortrend.com/1407_10_cars_that_weigh_more_than_the_2015_ford_f_150_supercrew.html

Yes.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

iwentdoodie posted:

So does the Tesla S and Panamera.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

TKIY posted:

So does the Tesla S and Panamera.

But those are premium vehicles, at least. The Genesis is just dissapointing.

Also, would that now make the F150 a better sport coupe/sedan than most of the actual cars?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

But those are premium vehicles, at least. The Genesis is just dissapointing.

Also, would that now make the F150 a better sport coupe/sedan than most of the actual cars?

Absolutely.

Which of those other vehicles can fit 315 tires on all 4 corners stock, and carry your track wheels and tires to the track without modification?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

iwentdoodie posted:

Depends on your definition of 'sport' I guess.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
How is the weight distribution and CG height on an F150?
Supercab 4x4 3.5EB... would be a bit of a beast, honestly.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Get a single cab 3.5 ecoboost, tune it, lower it 3" and 4", and try convincing the local autocross group to let you in?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Christobevii3 posted:

Get a single cab 3.5 ecoboost, tune it, lower it 3" and 4", and try convincing the local autocross group to let you in?

I really wish they'd let you get the 3.5EB with single cab and 6'5" mid-short bed. You either have to get the 8' long bed or a Supercab/Supercrew cab to get the 3.5EB in the states. :(

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Christobevii3 posted:

Still a solid rear axle with leaf springs. and terrible weight distribution.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's a sports car in the sense it's kinda quick not overweight for its class and facilitates driving like a complete rear end in a top hat on the streets.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

D C posted:

Still a solid rear axle with leaf springs. and terrible weight distribution.

Soooo a muscle car then.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ilkhan posted:

How is the weight distribution and CG height on an F150?
Supercab 4x4 3.5EB... would be a bit of a beast, honestly.

It should be pretty good, all the stuff up high is aluminum, all the stuff down low is steel. the reg cab/v8 or 2.7EB is 59/41, the 3.5 eb is 60/40.

a lancer evo MR is 291hp, 300ft/lbs, 3613lbs, and 57/43 weight distro. that's 12.42lbs/hp and 12.04lbs/ftlb.
a regular cab short box 2.7eb is 325hp, 375ft/lbs, 4167lbs, and 59/41 weight distro. that's 12.82lb/hp and 11.11lbs/ftlb. it's 75.5 inches tall and 79.9 inches wide excluding the mirrors, making it wider than it is tall.

I wonder how easy it would be to make the new mustang rear subframe bolt up.

edit: track width is 64.9" vs 67.6", that's only 1.45 inches a side, not hard to make up with backspacing.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Powershift posted:

edit: track width is 64.9" vs 67.6", that's only 1.45 inches a side, not hard to make up with backspacing.

Eh, you don't wanna go too crazy with that, whether through backspacing or just spacers; it changes the angle that the weight load travels up through the bearings, so the wheels torque upward and wear the bearing out faster.

Better to just get axle spacers and fab up longer control arms to space the hubs out to the truck's width. There's a lot more space under a truck than a Mustang, so straight control arms should work fine in lieu of the fancy bent ones the Mustang uses stock.

Or hell, even just extended spindles to move the bearings further out, not like lateral travel is much of an issue with the travel range that suspension has.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 22, 2015