Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
Cilantro would like to help you out and increase the number of linnie pictures in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

Thanks! Do you have it in a higher resolution? I can make up the little details, but it's always more useful to have the real thing if possible.

no, sorry :( one of my harddrives died recently and it had the bulk of my Ama-photos. I do have this though!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

this was in the cute thread. I thought it belonged here.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Jinxie Monroe posted:

Cilantro would like to help you out and increase the number of linnie pictures in the world

Sorry, but there's nothing I can do to improve this bird further :v:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

no, sorry :( one of my harddrives died recently and it had the bulk of my Ama-photos. I do have this though!

I accept your payment :3:

Sociopastry posted:

this was in the cute thread. I thought it belonged here.

Sometimes mine lets me do this, or boop him on the head with my entire hand

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

gonna leave this here :3:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

gonna leave this here :3:

Piip Show has gotten hella sophisticated.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Albert was willing to pose for a minute.

Link below to get the hi-res copies off Google Drive (if you want).

https ://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Sq1C3sWPmReE5XM3hWZVRGSnM/view?usp=sharing

https ://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Sq1C3sWPmRTGVkUGxIUVd6cjg/view?usp=sharing

https ://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Sq1C3sWPmRS3lpdFVseFJhcVk/view?usp=sharing

Grraarrgghh fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 21, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

oh my godddd look at that baby bird with his baby eyes :kimchi:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I might be knuckling down and getting a bird soon finally...had a bit of unexpected bonus money and depending on how much I have left after taking care of pressing needs it might be time for these plans to...

take flight. :kamina:

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

A little camera crazy today.

Bonus pic, we recently discovered Albert loves Thai chilis. Pic shows off the iridescence Red Bellies get on their wings. Ignore the orange peels behind him, we're still trying to get him to eat fruit (stubborn rear end bird).

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Grraarrgghh posted:

A little camera crazy today.

Bonus pic, we recently discovered Albert loves Thai chilis. Pic shows off the iridescence Red Bellies get on their wings. Ignore the orange peels behind him, we're still trying to get him to eat fruit (stubborn rear end bird).

It's like looking at my Senegal after a hue-skew in photoshop. Really cute!

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Battle Pigeon, I'll give you some pictures of Charles Alexander Featherston the Senegal Parrot if you want but I've posted most of them itt

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Anyone remember that artwork I did of a cockatiel in a suit and top hat? I was thinking of doing some other species, but would like some photos to draw from. I have a few from zoo trips, and can look for suitable stock photos, but if anyone wants to post some that I can freely use that would be super great and convenient too.

I may also one day in the far future make them available as prints. Maybe.

Disclaimer: might get distracted by other projects instead/take forever/forget
I gift you:

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Sorry, but there's nothing I can do to improve this bird further :v:

He's moulted almost all his butt feathers right now, it makes him look extra round and cuddly. :3:

Beaker on the other hand is a tiny fierce war machine who must be appeased by sharing evidence that she is the prettiest budgie.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

does anyone have any really huge birds

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Dreggon posted:

I've got a cockatoo, but I could try photographing the golden eagle that occasionally swings by?

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Dreggon posted:

Boop thinks she's huge. Does that count?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Baby booge's favourite mealtime activity is to get in his food dish and kick everything out into the floor of his cage. :sigh: Any recommendations for a hoodied dish or any other solution? It's just so wasteful. :I

Aethersphere
Mar 21, 2009

you see me rollin up pops you step aside
I have a green-cheeked conure, Chico. Recently, I've noticed that his flight feathers (normally very pretty and blue) have a pretty significant white streak, and are turning whiter over time. The rest of his feathers look okay, he's eating normally and isn't really molting at the moment. He doesn't seem stressed or lethargic. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? I've never seen this before. He's between 10-12 years old, if that helps.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball
As a brief update to a while back, we never did figure out the cause of what was happening to those budgies. Given our lovely supplier, we're assuming it's something that got carried from the facility they were bred at, but we haven't had any problems since that weren't very easily fixed.

In better news, though, I'm taking this idiot home in a few weeks(old pic):

He's been at the store for about a year and a half. I basically own him already without having bought him, considering how attached he is. I did look around for some birds up for adoption, but apparently the local rescue group is disbanding, which sucks.

So I'm wondering if anybody has a basics checklist so I can make sure I have everything I need before I get him. Currently he's eating Zupreem cockatiel-size pellets(we tried the medium parrot size but I guess they were too big and he didn't like them) and I'm hoping to convert him to Harrison's, but I'm not sure which grind is comparable size to the cockatiel Zupreem. I'm also not quite sure what the difference between the High Potency and Lifetime diets are.

Are there other brands of similar quality? Is the amount of ground corn in Zupreem and Roudybush diets an issue as long as they're getting plenty of veggies/fruits and some other seeds on the side?

Anyway, the stuff I have built up so far(since I used to have budgies, a few years back):
-36x24x36 cage with 1/2" bar spacing
-Variety of grapevine and manzanita perches in different sizes
-like 5 or 6 different toys to rip and shred
-3-4 bowls of different sizes

Things I know I need to get:
-Styptic powder, and build up a first-aid kid
-Food, obviously( a bag of zupreem and maybe order a bag of harrison's? Some seed on the side?)
-Extra perches to replace some/swap things around
-Cuttlebone/mineral blocks, probably?
-UVB light?
-Flight harnesses? Not sure what size he'd take, but I imagine they adjust.

Anything else I should look into?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Congrats on your new birb!

also, this was in the cute thread:

Laocius posted:

Cockatiel singing along with a piano:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZtaOPwj1DU

A birb singing the Totoro theme song.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Battle Pigeon posted:

Anyone remember that artwork I did of a cockatiel in a suit and top hat? I was thinking of doing some other species, but would like some photos to draw from. I have a few from zoo trips, and can look for suitable stock photos, but if anyone wants to post some that I can freely use that would be super great and convenient too.

I've never seen Ohtori or Steve do it-but then the former is fearless about everything, and the latter simply oblivous :derptiel:

Shiiiiiit that's adorable. Your little dinosaur likes it so much she gives no fucks about you or the camera. :3:

Pookie really does not care about cameras at all, she is extremely mellow about pretty much everything except the scary brush of legend. I can totally photograph her in all kinds of moods if you want some reference shots:)

btw I still love Steve v. much - he is so SERIOUS about being a kind of dopey cockatiel :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Eejit posted:

Understanding your bird's body language and understanding how they communicate in general is one of the most rewarding parts of ownership. They're very expressive animals and it's so satisfying to get what they're telling you.

So so true. It's weird how you can look at your own bird, and be like " hey, so he/she's kind of interested in that but also suspicious and would prefer if you'd move it over to the other side of the cage and take the cover off it" and the other person is all "whaaa?" and you're all "c'mon, it obvious!, look at how their feathers are kind of fluffed but their head is down and also a bit sideways - it's so clearly expressed!"

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Totally saw that pose perfectly in my head.

e:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 21, 2015

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Out of curiosity, does anyone else's Chrome grind to a halt on this page? Takes forever to load and while it does, it's almost completely unresponsive. No other page in this thread does it, and even my other tabs are fine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone else's Chrome grind to a halt on this page? Takes forever to load and while it does, it's almost completely unresponsive. No other page in this thread does it, and even my other tabs are fine.

Yeah, seems to be Grraarrgghh's lovebirds. I noticed the problems as soon as those were posted.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

There's been something weird going on with gifs in the forums and I've seen people complaining about it in other threads. Or it might be a coincidence.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

I tried disabling the direct link to Google Drive thinking that might help but it doesnt :negative:

They're like 300k images on Imgur :(

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

aerialsilks posted:

As a brief update to a while back, we never did figure out the cause of what was happening to those budgies. Given our lovely supplier, we're assuming it's something that got carried from the facility they were bred at, but we haven't had any problems since that weren't very easily fixed.

In better news, though, I'm taking this idiot home in a few weeks(old pic):

He's been at the store for about a year and a half. I basically own him already without having bought him, considering how attached he is. I did look around for some birds up for adoption, but apparently the local rescue group is disbanding, which sucks.

So I'm wondering if anybody has a basics checklist so I can make sure I have everything I need before I get him. Currently he's eating Zupreem cockatiel-size pellets(we tried the medium parrot size but I guess they were too big and he didn't like them) and I'm hoping to convert him to Harrison's, but I'm not sure which grind is comparable size to the cockatiel Zupreem. I'm also not quite sure what the difference between the High Potency and Lifetime diets are.

Are there other brands of similar quality? Is the amount of ground corn in Zupreem and Roudybush diets an issue as long as they're getting plenty of veggies/fruits and some other seeds on the side?

Anyway, the stuff I have built up so far(since I used to have budgies, a few years back):
-36x24x36 cage with 1/2" bar spacing
-Variety of grapevine and manzanita perches in different sizes
-like 5 or 6 different toys to rip and shred
-3-4 bowls of different sizes

Things I know I need to get:
-Styptic powder, and build up a first-aid kid
-Food, obviously( a bag of zupreem and maybe order a bag of harrison's? Some seed on the side?)
-Extra perches to replace some/swap things around
-Cuttlebone/mineral blocks, probably?
-UVB light?

We feed our GCC, Scout, Harrison's Adult Lifetime Coarse. It is a bit big so we crush it down a bit in a mortar and pestle. The mash is too small for her, which is why we use the coarse. We feed her 12 pellets in the morning, and 10 in the afternoon/evening. She also gets treats during the day like some banana or apple, and Nutriberries. We use the nutriberries as a treat, and keep some spray millet on hand also as a treat.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Battle Pigeon posted:

I've never seen Ohtori or Steve do it-but then the former is fearless about everything, and the latter simply oblivous :derptiel:

Shiiiiiit that's adorable. Your little dinosaur likes it so much she gives no fucks about you or the camera. :3:

You can totally use this picture of Mickey if youd like

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 21, 2015

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

My budgies are on the carpet, munching on millet, and they noticed there is MORE millet in my hand. So now they're running after me, on the floor, like lost puppies, chirping hopefully.

You're birds, you dumb featherblobs, try flying

:3:

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

My budgies are on the carpet, munching on millet, and they noticed there is MORE millet in my hand. So now they're running after me, on the floor, like lost puppies, chirping hopefully.

You're birds, you dumb featherblobs, try flying

:3:

Dawww.

I've had to be careful to stop feeding Albert millet on/around/over the carpet, because unless I vacuum it up immediately, he will spend hours foraging underfoot trying to find that one millet morsel I missed.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I wish I could let Teeka roam around on the ground because he like it, but he is a one cockatoo furniture destruction squad. Rips apart upholstery and splinters wood trim and bannisters. Also toes are not safe either.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Eejit posted:

I wish I could let Teeka roam around on the ground because he like it, but he is a one cockatoo furniture destruction squad. Rips apart upholstery and splinters wood trim and bannisters. Also toes are not safe either.

:gonk: My toes involuntarily curled under in my shoes.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Eejit posted:

Goddamn cavity nesters.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Arriviste posted:

:gonk: My toes involuntarily curled under in my shoes.

if it's anything like the birds I'm more familiar with it's more 'intensive curiosity' than malice. Not that it's any better, but a bird painfully exploring my toes is more palatable to me than one who merely desires to crush them for fun.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Goddamn cavity nesters.

Yeah, that's it exactly. He will waddle up to a chair, crouch low, and start hissing underneath it. And then after determining it's a suitable place to live disembowels the furniture item forthwith to, I presume, attract a mate.

Also I'm not sure why he'll bite toes. Sometimes he ignores them and sometimes he must destroy them. I don't quite know what goes on in his tiny brain.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Some birds just do it. Ozy is an rear end in a top hat (he just bit me on the same finger a second time in two days) but he doesn't go after your toes just because they're there. Chirpy is a sweet little lovebird, but he's a fuckin' toe-hunter.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Pookah posted:

Pookie really does not care about cameras at all, she is extremely mellow about pretty much everything except the scary brush of legend. I can totally photograph her in all kinds of moods if you want some reference shots:)

btw I still love Steve v. much - he is so SERIOUS about being a kind of dopey cockatiel :3:

I'd love Pookie/Grey photos to work from! I wouldn't mind all sorts of poses for general stuff, for the art mentioned something with at least the body in profile with neutral lighting is easiest to draw/pose/add things to and change on paper, but with a bit of personality would be great too! Whatever you want to allow me to use. :3:

A dopey serious potatiel describes him perfectly. Also, a few days later and Steve still has his second crest going on. He doesn't seem to have noticed

Wizard of Smart posted:

You can totally use this picture of Mickey if youd like

Thanks! I remember that one, it was my second choice after the one actually used for your drawing.

aerialsilks posted:

Currently he's eating Zupreem cockatiel-size pellets(we tried the medium parrot size but I guess they were too big and he didn't like them) and I'm hoping to convert him to Harrison's, but I'm not sure which grind is comparable size to the cockatiel Zupreem. I'm also not quite sure what the difference between the High Potency and Lifetime diets are.

My GCC is on the fine pellets, and so would the cockatiel be if he'd recognise them as tasty foods. My bigger conure is on the course size, but he can use his feet, and he soaks each cube to soften it before eating. They're too big uncrushed for a GCC even if they did the pellet soup thing too.

High Potency is what you're supposed to feed them (according to them) for six months before converting to Lifetime. They claim it's for birds who need more nutrients, who are converting from crappier diets, etc. so it's sort of like a catchup. It's up to you if you want to get them, or continue with them. They're slightly more expensive as well.

TOP (Totally Organic Pellets)/Top's Parrot Food are supposed to be good as well, but I don't know much about them http://totallyorganics.com/

For flight harnesses, the Aviator is the best (no clips that the bird can undo), and the wing part is adjustable but the head isn't. You'd want Petite for a GCC, or X-small at best if he's huge.

EDIT: Totally forgot, everyone else who posted photos, thank you :v:

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Grraarrgghh posted:

I tried disabling the direct link to Google Drive thinking that might help but it doesnt :negative:

They're like 300k images on Imgur :(

I think it's the forums, I had another thread do the same thing this morning but didn't think to cross check what was on it. Firefox is fine, it loads very slowly but doesn't cripple the tab like with chrome.