Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
My impression of the NCR (admittedly highly informed by my idea of NV as primarily about the use of symbols and the formation of individual and group identity) is that while they utilize the symbols and language of democracy, they never really developed the underlying culture that supports a functioning democracy. What the people actually believed in was Tandi, and they supported whatever "democracy" was because it was what Tandi said was good, but Tandi is dead and neither the leadership nor the people absorbed the concepts of service and acting for the common good that make a democracy more than 51% voting to rob 49%. What they believe in now is the might that follows the symbol, which is why they go around dickwaving about how they steamrolled those locals and move into territories to exploit, evict, or kill the previous inhabitants rather than treating them as at least provisionally possessing the same fundamental rights as NCR citizens.

The NCR has managed to bring a degree of stability without actually becoming a dystopia, which is good, but their identity is more about might than about right and they don't have a proper philosophical grounding for why they do what they do. And the seeds of their undoing are quite visible as their might falters due to the leadership treating conquest as a means to personal advancement regardless of the cost to the state as a whole, while the people are fine as long as the symbol still seems to project strength. If they keep on their current path, I'd expect a civil war within a few decades as the outer regions try to form their own military forces to deal with the bandits that the NCR can no longer contain with its forces stretched too far, and the NCR seeking to crush any signs of a new organized military within their territory. If they were to curtail their expansion plans and work on consolidating their territory, though, I would expect matters to be much more stable.

Which is why the House and Yes Man endings are really the best endings for the NCR in the long run, as it would force them to reexamine whether they can really just crush anyone in their path, while still providing them with additional resources (at a price, rather than just by fiat) and a buffer between them and Legion territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

That's the thing though, you break the back of the Legion, take over the Mojave and keep the NCR from expanding, for now. Possibly you're even friendly towards them! Until you die, they stay back home, without a messed up war to fight or a new region to establish infrastructure in, they might not like it, but they have time to get their poo poo together. Maybe you can work out a deal to transfer ownership before you die, who knows.

Either way the yes man ending just feels right, in the short or the long term.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Rookersh posted:

House is an unreliable leader who doesn't care at all about the people under him, only that they worship him for keeping them alive.

Actually he specifically says in dialogue that he doesn't want that.

quote:

Courier: What's to keep you from abusing your power?

House: My judgement. I have no interest in abusing others, just as I have no interest in legislating or otherwise dictating what people do in their private time. Nor have I any interest in being worshipped as some kind of machine god messiah. I am impervious to such corrupting ambitions. But autocracy? Firm control in the hands of a technological and economic visionary? Yes, that Vegas shall have.

Fuzz1138
Feb 3, 2013

We don't have to dream that we're important. We are.
It may come as a surprise to you all, but I think House is a pretty cool guy.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Fuzz1138 posted:

It may come as a surprise to you all, but I think House is a pretty cool guy.

Kinda hard not to be when you got Rene Auberjonois voicing you.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Actually he specifically says in dialogue that he doesn't want that.

And yet he's programmed his bombastic obituary to be played throughout New Vegas in the event of his passing, decrying the tragic loss of an ubermensch. Clearly the hallmark of a humble autocrat.

I never got the sense that House was libertarian from altruism; rather, he's somewhat of a Dr Manhattan figure. He's become so advanced and alien that he views flesh-and-blood humans as tools and not brethren. Clearly you wouldn't want your hammer to spend its time praising your name rather than driving in the nails..

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
People point out how House will totally just let the Mojave do its thing, but that's a double-edged sword IMO. Look what the Omertas got up to when he took his eyes off them for a second. Also, his tax rate on the locals on the Strip is 50%, which bears pointing out when people bring up the NCR's taxation (which isn't great either, but if you consider how rich the NCR is, it still probably equates to a very desirable standard of living for the wasteland.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you go for an Independent Vegas, one of the endings has Hanlon denouncing Lee Oliver's disastrous Mojave Campaign and becoming Senator of Redding, so there's already some political pushback happening in the NCR.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Excelzior posted:

And yet he's programmed his bombastic obituary to be played throughout New Vegas in the event of his passing, decrying the tragic loss of an ubermensch. Clearly the hallmark of a humble autocrat.

I never got the sense that House was libertarian from altruism; rather, he's somewhat of a Dr Manhattan figure. He's become so advanced and alien that he views flesh-and-blood humans as tools and not brethren. Clearly you wouldn't want your hammer to spend its time praising your name rather than driving in the nails..

It's cool, I view him as a resource for my courier to use. There's a lot of knowledge in there.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you go for an Independent Vegas, one of the endings has Hanlon denouncing Lee Oliver's disastrous Mojave Campaign and becoming Senator of Redding, so there's already some political pushback happening in the NCR.

Soon to be President Hanlon.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Excelzior posted:

well, nobody ever said he was humble. I probably wouldn't be either, if I had unlocked the secret of eternal life.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Rookersh posted:

And yet whats better?

Caesar? I mean his goal is ultimately good. Crush the known world, and when there is nothing left to conquer, disband the armies and force education/exploration/a military society on the remaining people. He wants to force the remaining groups to rebuild society, even if it's not a pleasant trip back. The problem with his plan is that he's going to die well before it's realized, and what he built is far too easy to corrupt/might not even survive without him.

House? House doesn't even care about the region. All he cares about is going to space, which is likely an unachievable goal. The Courier will live happily, but it's not like the region will be doing great, especially with unkillable robots enforcing all order. If House ever screws you/decides to become a tyrant, there isn't much anybody would be able to do to stop him post Dam. And hell, consider his ending slides, anybody who he even thought might have worked against him gets executed gangland style by his robots with no remorse. House is an unreliable leader who doesn't care at all about the people under him, only that they worship him for keeping them alive.

Wild Card? Great, the region knows peace for 30/40/50/60ish years. Then what happens when the Courier dies? You aren't forming a new nation state in that time, and the region isn't going to be pacified in one mans lifetime. It also has the same problem House does, while you may be a benevolent ruler who only wants the people of the Mojave to live their own lives, you can't guarantee your successor will. And that's assuming you will be able to maintain control over your little army of robots. You basically just carve out a rock for yourself to retire in, yet once you die everything will reset to the status quo/NCR wanting the Mojave/new bandit tribes pushing west.

The NCR sucks at this point in history sure. Brahmin Barons control far too much, the politicians are little more then puppets, and the army is overextended/undersupplyed. None of that isn't true. The thing is though, the NCR has the greatest potential to change and grow. Politicians can be voted out of office for better candidates willing to cut back the corruption, the Brahmin Barons will eventually lose power as the population grows less reliant on brahmin meat. The army is eventually going to hit a rock, and it'll force the NCR to fix itself. None of the issues the NCR faces are insurmountable, which means even with all the bad poo poo it does, it's still ultimately one of the "better" options for the region.

Why does there need to be a ruling power at all though?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Pwnstar posted:

Everywhere in the Fallout universe without a ruling power is ultra-mega-misery so that would be one reason.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Pwnstar posted:

Organization to resist predation. If the people have to be constantly worried about being killed or even just having their crops taken by bandits, then accumulation of resources can't happen and living standards remain stuck at meager subsistence farming, with any disruptions in the food supply likely leading directly to mass die-offs. Creating a standing force to deter, intercept, or punish bandits requires at least some centralization of resources and direction.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
But Bakunin said Mankind need not be governed.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Paracelsus posted:

Organization to resist predation. If the people have to be constantly worried about being killed or even just having their crops taken by bandits, then accumulation of resources can't happen and living standards remain stuck at meager subsistence farming, with any disruptions in the food supply likely leading directly to mass die-offs. Creating a standing force to deter, intercept, or punish bandits requires at least some centralization of resources and direction.

Both Westside and North Vegas, in game, pulled it off just fine. Their biggest threats are the 'ruling powers' in question.

Nevermind, say, the Boomers. They're backwards and twisted, but they do all right for themselves without a faraway state holding their hand.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Utgardaloki posted:

Both Westside and North Vegas, in game, pulled it off just fine. Their biggest threats are the 'ruling powers' in question.
No, they really aren't. The militia in Westside and North Vegas Square are about as selfless as groups get in FO, and the places are still unsafe and poor.

quote:

Nevermind, say, the Boomers. They're backwards and twisted, but they do all right for themselves without a faraway state holding their hand.
The Boomers are basically Vault City Mk2. They are an organized military power of their own, not an independent anarchist collective or whatever you're suggesting.

Fuzz1138
Feb 3, 2013

We don't have to dream that we're important. We are.
I do find it interesting how different my reaction to most things in the game seems to be from the average reaction around these parts.

Like, when I first played the game, I met the Boomers and I was like "man, these guys are the coolest!" Then my friend introduces me to this thread and everyone's like "the Boomers are psychopaths" and "I hate those assholes and I kill them every time."

:shrug:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fuzz1138 posted:

I do find it interesting how different my reaction to most things in the game seems to be from the average reaction around these parts.

Like, when I first played the game, I met the Boomers and I was like "man, these guys are the coolest!" Then my friend introduces me to this thread and everyone's like "the Boomers are psychopaths" and "I hate those assholes and I kill them every time."

The Boomers and the BoS are the only places in the Mojave that provide a reasonably safe environment in which kids can go to school instead of chasing rats for food and/or promoting shops by annoying passersby re: stuff they're not even allowed to sell. Goons are dumb and make snap judgments they never back down from.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Paracelsus posted:

The Boomers and the BoS are the only places in the Mojave that provide a reasonably safe environment in which kids can go to school instead of chasing rats for food and/or promoting shops by annoying passersby re: stuff they're not even allowed to sell. Goons are dumb and make snap judgments they never back down from.

The idea that the BoS is a safe place to raise children is kinda funny as their are no children there because they're a bunch of paranoid isolationists in such lockdown that they are just dying out. They murder people just because they get close to their shelter and their lives still revolve around gathering weaponry. Even outside of that particular group the BoS aren't exactly good guys; they believe that all technology belongs to them and are willing to kill whoever to get it.

The boomers are a militaristic group that fetishize their weaponry, although they at least seem more open minded about letting outsiders join them.. I don't really remember all that much else about the boomers themselves.

Actually on that note, one of the only other places where children seem to be well taken care of is with the Legion as you can see them playing/training at the Fort.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 21, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fuzz1138 posted:

I like the Boomers but I disliked how they attempted to murder me with artillery fire.

The BoS are cool because they wear robes and have power armour but they're also humongous assholes in every way (except in Fallout 3, because Fallout 3 wasn't very well written). They've always been paranoid tech fetishists with big egos. They're basically doomed as soon as a somewhat stable society pops up that doesn't let them just take whatever they want.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Garrand posted:

The idea that the BoS is a safe place to raise children is kinda funny as their are no children there because they're a bunch of paranoid isolationists in such lockdown that they are just dying out. They murder people just because they get close to their shelter and their lives still revolve around gathering weaponry. Even outside of that particular group the BoS aren't exactly good guys; they believe that all technology belongs to them and are willing to kill whoever to get it.

The boomers are a militaristic group that fetishize their weaponry, although they at least seem more open minded about letting outsiders join them.. I don't really remember all that much else about the boomers themselves.

Actually on that note, one of the only other places where children seem to be well taken care of is with the Legion as you can see them playing/training at the Fort.

The Boomers base their identity entirely on the literal and ongoing genocide of Mojave "natives". If there's one faction that deserves to be wiped out, it's them.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Rookersh posted:

Wild Card? Great, the region knows peace for 30/40/50/60ish years. Then what happens when the Courier dies? You aren't forming a new nation state in that time, and the region isn't going to be pacified in one mans lifetime. It also has the same problem House does, while you may be a benevolent ruler who only wants the people of the Mojave to live their own lives, you can't guarantee your successor will. And that's assuming you will be able to maintain control over your little army of robots. You basically just carve out a rock for yourself to retire in, yet once you die everything will reset to the status quo/NCR wanting the Mojave/new bandit tribes pushing west.

Fallout IV: New New Vegas. The original Courier has to find a new person to take over while a bigger threat emerges from the wasteland.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

2house2fly posted:

They don't just tell the super mutants to gently caress off, they hire mercenaries to harass them. A time-honoured tactic they used back in Fallout 2!

What quest are you referring to? I don't remember them harrassing anyone in Fallout 2.

Garrand posted:

Open to outsiders seems like a bit of a stretch, considering they tend to shoot at anyone who comes too close to their area.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
It makes zero sense that the police pistol from Dead Money is a single action. Any idea of a mod that makes it double action?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Paracelsus posted:

My impression of the NCR (admittedly highly informed by my idea of NV as primarily about the use of symbols and the formation of individual and group identity) is
So basically Caesar was right, and the NCR is the Roman Republic slightly post-Marius?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Utgardaloki posted:

The Boomers are ruled by Pearl.

Samuel Clemens posted:

What quest are you referring to? I don't remember them harrassing anyone in Fallout 2.

Vault City was being attacked by "raiders" who were actually hired by Bishop of New Reno to make them more open to being annexed by the NCR. Maybe that was a restored content quest though, now that I think about it.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Open to outsiders seems like a bit of a stretch, considering they tend to shoot at anyone who comes too close to their area.

Not now that the Courier has shown them that outsiders are cool!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Xander77 posted:

So basically Caesar was right, and the NCR is the Roman Republic slightly post-Marius?

Well of course Caesar would think of the NCR as a cult of personality - that's what he's running himself.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

Well of course Caesar would think of the NCR as a cult of personality - that's what he's running himself.

Maybe he just has an appreciation for 1980s hits.

Though an 50-year reign isn't much of a democracy as we figure it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Garrand posted:

The idea that the BoS is a safe place to raise children is kinda funny as their are no children there because they're a bunch of paranoid isolationists in such lockdown that they are just dying out.
There's a school in the BoS base where you can see the younger members taking classes. IIRC the lockdown had been only for the last few years, so it's not the actual reason they're declining in numbers.

quote:

I don't really remember all that much else about the boomers themselves.
The Boomers have an actual operating school where you see the kids (of which there are a rather large number by NV standards), plus they run around and play for a lot of the day. In a game with very few kids, and most of those in awful living conditions, it's really notable.

steinrokkan posted:

The Boomers base their identity entirely on the literal and ongoing genocide of Mojave "natives". If there's one faction that deserves to be wiped out, it's them.
They don't really seem to give a poo poo about anyone who doesn't approach their land. It's not much of a genocide if the victims have to come to you rather than you going to them. Even when they get the B-29 back up and running, they don't go bombing anybody aside from at the Dam.

Xander77 posted:

I think Caesar is sort of like Nietzsche in that he has a pretty good assessment of what the problem is, it's just that his proposed response is awful. It certainly fits thematically with everything else in the game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Paracelsus posted:

There's a school in the BoS base where you can see the younger members taking classes. IIRC the lockdown had been only for the last few years, so it's not the actual reason they're declining in numbers.
The Boomers have an actual operating school where you see the kids (of which there are a rather large number by NV standards), plus they run around and play for a lot of the day. In a game with very few kids, and most of those in awful living conditions, it's really notable.
They don't really seem to give a poo poo about anyone who doesn't approach their land. It's not much of a genocide if the victims have to come to you rather than you going to them. Even when they get the B-29 back up and running, they don't go bombing anybody aside from at the Dam.
I think Caesar is sort of like Nietzsche in that he has a pretty good assessment of what the problem is, it's just that his proposed response is awful. It certainly fits thematically with everything else in the game.

The museum specifically describes that they spent the first period of their post-Vault history roaming the wastes, killing everybody they could find. When they started taking casualties, they fortified themselves in the military base they found. Their intention behind the bomber is to resume their campaign with renewed impunity. That's what they proudly tell you if you ask them.

Caesar's mangling of Hegel was the most cringe-worthy part of NV for me, please don't bring poor old Nietzsche to the equation.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

They definitely imply that they want to just go out and bomb everyone whenever they talk about the plane and the simulators. I'd hazard a guess that they don't show the bombing in the game because it would be a bunch of effort to do in the engine and to generate the assets for the scripted event, the finished plane/animations, the effects for the bombs, sounds, etc. Not to mention that it wouldn't add much at all gameplay-wise.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Seashell Salesman posted:

They definitely imply that they want to just go out and bomb everyone whenever they talk about the plane and the simulators. I'd hazard a guess that they don't show the bombing in the game because it would be a bunch of effort to do in the engine and to generate the assets for the scripted event, the finished plane/animations, the effects for the bombs, sounds, etc. Not to mention that it wouldn't add much at all gameplay-wise.

They show the bomber attacking the Hoover Dam. The reason we don't see any more of it is because that's the first operation of the repaired bomber, and afterwards the game ends.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

In general the Boomers' endings tend towards them becoming friendlier and more willing to engage with the outside world, which suggests to me that they maybe don't then take their restored WW2 bomber and fly around raining flaming death on their new friends.

Nova Odin
Jul 13, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

They show the bomber attacking the Hoover Dam.

Yeah, they definitely do as that is one of my favorite parts of the Hoover Dam ending sequence ever since the very first time I beat the game.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

2house2fly posted:

In general the Boomers' endings tend towards them becoming friendlier and more willing to engage with the outside world, which suggests to me that they maybe don't then take their restored WW2 bomber and fly around raining flaming death on their new friends.

Of course, the funny thing is that if you DON'T restore the bomber, they get constantly attacked (unless House wins).

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

They show the bomber attacking the Hoover Dam. The reason we don't see any more of it is because that's the first operation of the repaired bomber, and afterwards the game ends.

There's no reason why that should have been the first time they used it. I don't remember the game even saying it was the first time they used it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Seashell Salesman posted:

There's no reason why that should have been the first time they used it. I don't remember the game even saying it was the first time they used it.

If you visit the base any time before the final mission, there's the bomber still in refit.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

If you visit the base any time before the final mission, there's the bomber still in refit.
I really doubt any thought was given to whether or not the bomber should stay there after you finish the Boomers' questline. It would be a nice touch if they removed it at some point but, as someone who has played several videogames in my lifetime, it's just not an important area so it gets left as-is in the absence of any reason to update it. Just like how all the characters that supposedly have lives of their own stand around like statues until you interact with them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

steinrokkan posted:

The museum specifically describes that they spent the first period of their post-Vault history roaming the wastes, killing everybody they could find.
That's quite likely a function of being in a hostile environment where everyone's out to kill everyone else, though. The actual quote is "We left and wandered the wastes. There were savages with knives. We blew them up with frag mines and grenades, burned them with flamethrowers."

quote:

Their intention behind the bomber is to resume their campaign with renewed impunity. That's what they proudly tell you if you ask them.
And yet that's not what they actually do in any ending. There's a disconnect between their historical rhetoric and their present actions. When you talk to the mural keeper (outside of his passed-down speech) about the bomber, it's about how great it would be to fly.