Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

infraboy posted:

I read for a few weeks before release about the new 3ds coming out, I hadn't bought a nintendo item since the first wii, I forgot that there always seems to be a shortage of nintendos latest hardware on release day, so on Wednesday, 5 days after release, I looked at the closest Target and Best Buy stores, definitely all sold out. Today, looked at Target's website after work, found out they had some red ones in stock at the San Rafael store in California, went there straight after work and found they one last red one sitting in the case, found the closest electronics guy and said i'd take it, picked up a copy of Pokemon too, Monster Hunter out of stock, guy at register said they only had 2 copies since release WTF. Of course I just realized the DSi charger works for it, but not my old DS, guess it's off to Target to grab the charger and check for Monster Hunter.

I gave up andn just bought it on eshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The System Transfer is everything on the console itself, not the SD card. You'll get a prompt to make that switch during the process. If you haven't done so already, replace the SD card in your current 3DS with a micro-SD card. Most come with an adapter for full-size SD slots, and you can just copy/paste the SD card contents onto your PC and then onto the new micro-SD card before slotting it back into your console.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding something, but I was reading Nintendo's system transfer FAQ, and they said it could be done over wireless as long as your card is 4GB or smaller, which mine is. What exactly does transferring data from the SD card accomplish that the system transfer does not?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Volcott posted:

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding something, but I was reading Nintendo's system transfer FAQ, and they said it could be done over wireless as long as your card is 4GB or smaller, which mine is. What exactly does transferring data from the SD card accomplish that the system transfer does not?

if you are transferring large files, like games you downloaded from eshop, then it's much faster to transfer via pc than over the 3ds's slow ad hoc wifi

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Looks like my trip to Canada will pay dividends, the new 3ds xl is slightly cheaper up here after conversion and there's more in stock. It'll give me something to do while I avoid venturing out into -30 weather.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

corn in the bible posted:

if you are transferring large files, like games you downloaded from eshop, then it's much faster to transfer via pc than over the 3ds's slow ad hoc wifi

Ah, I see. Thank you for the clarification.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

infraboy posted:

I read for a few weeks before release about the new 3ds coming out, I hadn't bought a nintendo item since the first wii, I forgot that there always seems to be a shortage of nintendos latest hardware on release day, so on Wednesday, 5 days after release, I looked at the closest Target and Best Buy stores, definitely all sold out. Today, looked at Target's website after work, found out they had some red ones in stock at the San Rafael store in California, went there straight after work and found they one last red one sitting in the case, found the closest electronics guy and said i'd take it, picked up a copy of Pokemon too, Monster Hunter out of stock, guy at register said they only had 2 copies since release WTF. Of course I just realized the DSi charger works for it, but not my old DS, guess it's off to Target to grab the charger and check for Monster Hunter.

Buy it on the eShop?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

FYI best buy has monster hunter copies with a 10 gift card bonus for sale shipped to you.

With GCU that's 22$ effectively.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
So just to double check before I order, a SD card like this'll do nicely for the new3DS, right?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I only very recently managed to hit the max # of spotpass slots (didn't even know it was a thing) on my 3DS. Does the nu3DS have more spotpass slots or no?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

So just to double check before I order, a SD card like this'll do nicely for the new3DS, right?

That model specifically from amazon.com is probably fine but even "Fulfilled By Amazon" (what that is) can leave you with counterfeits.

Related: do we even know what the minimum acceptable seq/random read/write for a 3DS card is or are we just going off of what it ships with?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I have a conundrum: do I play Link Between Worlds first, which I have never beat, or do I play MM first, which I loved much as a kid?

This is a rough call :(

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

DaveKap posted:

I only very recently managed to hit the max # of spotpass slots (didn't even know it was a thing) on my 3DS. Does the nu3DS have more spotpass slots or no?

Edit: Sorry, misunderstood the question. Same at twelve.

Doug Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 21, 2015

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That model specifically from amazon.com is probably fine but even "Fulfilled By Amazon" (what that is) can leave you with counterfeits.

Oh. Oh no. Should I just get it from a Best Buy or whatever then? :ohdear:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

No. Capped at ten.
Huh? The normal 3DS is capped at 12. Did they seriously lower the amount?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Ciaphas posted:

I have a conundrum: do I play Link Between Worlds first, which I have never beat, or do I play MM first, which I loved much as a kid?

Link Between Worlds is a shorter game. You will not be disappointed

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Start with Majora's Mask. Every time you play the Song of Time to start over, finish a dungeon in Link Between Worlds

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

DaveKap posted:

Huh? The normal 3DS is capped at 12. Did they seriously lower the amount?

No, N3DS is 12 as well.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ciaphas posted:

Everyone should experience Link Between Worlds. Maybe the smoothest prettiest game on the system.

(MM is great too, play it again later)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's right, but the Wii at least natively had a Home menu. The GBA hardware in the original DS was designed to just run the cartridge from a slot, and then turn off when done so there's at least some work to be done to make it able to call out to the operating system properly.
Fun fact: The Wii actually does not have a native Home menu. The Home menu is hard-coded into every single Wii game separately.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Technically it was even possible for games to use the Home button for something completely different, or alter the look and feel of the Home menu, but such a game would have run afoul of Nintendo's standards for publishing on the system.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You could tell me the 3ds menu was native to every game cart and not actually on the system, and is probably believe you for a couple minutes.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Must've been a small shipment of new 3ds today, the target that was out Wednesday near me had a black one and 3 red ones in the case.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Fun fact: The Wii actually does not have a native Home menu. The Home menu is hard-coded into every single Wii game separately.

what happens when you start a wii with no game in the slot?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Awesome! posted:

not the wii channels menu, the home-button menu. the one that says "reset" or "manual" and has the wiimote options

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Used my Club Nintendo points to get Kid Icarus Uprising instead of the nerd swag. I better have a drat good time. :mad:

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Zaggitz posted:

Used my Club Nintendo points to get Kid Icarus Uprising instead of the nerd swag. I better have a drat good time. :mad:

The nerd swag is (with the sole exception of the game card cases) plagued with build quality issues and Kid Icarus is arguably the best game on the system. You did good.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Awesome! posted:

Extremely short digest of the Wii system:

Wii's os known as IOS is packaged at various sdk versions. There's a multitude of versions since obviously the sdk updated with the system. Your Wii when you turn it on boots into the default IOS version based off whatever version of firmware you have installed.

Things get interesting because IOS is not persistent on the system so when you boot a game IOS changes to the version the game was built against. This is why the home menu can theoretically be changed however Nintendo would never allow it. This is also why smashstack exists and why it can't be patched because Wii games cannot have patches supplied after the game is launched. Once the exploit exists in-game it is forever exploitable as a way into the system.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So are there any roguelike for the 3DS? Is there a starfox game that's good? Can you guys list off your favorite 3DS games NOT in the op?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

So are there any roguelike for the 3DS?

there's pokemon mystery dungeon

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Turtlicious posted:

So are there any roguelike for the 3DS? Is there a starfox game that's good? Can you guys list off your favorite 3DS games NOT in the op?

1. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
2. No (real answer if you like starfox the 3ds port is fine I just don't like starfox 64)
3. Monster Hunter 3U and 4U, Fantasy Life, Steamworld Dig(Eshop), VVVVVV(eshop), Starship Damrey(eshop)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Can you guys list off your favorite 3DS games NOT in the op?

Etrian Odyssey 4, Harvest Moon ANB, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Bravely Default

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Going away on a trip and I've settled on Link Between Worlds for a Zelda game, but I'm still on the fence about a Mario title. I know Super Mario 3D Land is the more popular title, but I hated Mario 64 and haven't touched a 3D Mario since. NSMB2 looks more like Super Mario World, my favourite Mario title.

Anyone want to take a stab at convincing me to go with 3D Land despite hating Mario 64 and loving Super Mario World?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

3d land isn't anything like mario 64

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Going away on a trip and I've settled on Link Between Worlds for a Zelda game, but I'm still on the fence about a Mario title. I know Super Mario 3D Land is the more popular title, but I hated Mario 64 and haven't touched a 3D Mario since. NSMB2 looks more like Super Mario World, my favourite Mario title.

Anyone want to take a stab at convincing me to go with 3D Land despite hating Mario 64 and loving Super Mario World?

NSMB2 feels like a fan game though enjoyable its kind of garbage. 3D land is a system seller it singlehandedly justifies 3d and feels very little like 64 other than that its a 3d mario game the levels are self contained and it has some of the best unlockable content out there buy that one.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Huh, the Giant Bomb Quick Look for Majora's Mask taught me that I can block the damage done by the Bomb Mask by pointing the shield up. I never knew that. :stare:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

they fixed that for mm3d though, didn't they?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Haruharuharuko posted:

and it has some of the best unlockable content out there buy that one.

...and there's the magic words. I love unlocking stuff in games. Not really sure why, but that's the hook I needed. Thanks.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Cake Attack posted:

Nope I did it all the time in mm3d. it's not a glitch.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

BGrifter posted:

...and there's the magic words. I love unlocking stuff in games. Not really sure why, but that's the hook I needed. Thanks.

Glad to help and yeah the unlockable levels in that game are goddamn nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Cake Attack posted:

Fixed as it wasn't in the N64 version? Because Dan just did it in that video for 3D.