Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Chin Strap posted:

Any Linux support?

It's written in python. I expect it supports linux at least as well as Windows.

It looks like it requires pygame, so apt-get or yum install python-pygame and whatever else it complains about that you can find and then pip install anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

omeg posted:

Finally got some ridiculous Godhead stuff. Including Sacred Heart, Guppy, Chocolate Milk, Death's Touch, Rubber Cement, Parasite.

Seed: AF48 RNJB (played as Isaac)

Jedit posted:

Where is all this ridiculous stuff? I got Rubber Cement on Basement 1 but everything after that was crap.

He's right, I think your good stuff came from lucky D6 rolls because I got a bunch of rubbish as well. :shrug:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I remember that Godhead was just lying in an angel room without rerolls. Maybe some previous actions affected that? Someone posted earlier that they got the good stuff :shrug:

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Carbon dioxide posted:

You are a hero.

It doesn't show spacebar items, does it? I think that could be handy.
Guppy spacebar items are shown. If you want the others to show up, you could, uh, edit items.txt so they all have shown=true. Oh I guess this makes a lot more sense as something to want now that I put in the clicking to open platinumgod thing. We designed the "hiding certain items" system when all this did was show images, and it's not very useful to see the image for space items.

I could add an option so it just shows all items, period

psivamp posted:

It's written in python. I expect it supports linux at least as well as Windows.

It looks like it requires pygame, so apt-get or yum install python-pygame and whatever else it complains about that you can find and then pip install anything else.
Yeah, to run it on linux, install pygame like this guy says, download the tracker source code, put it in its own directory in the place the readme tells you to, and then do "python item_tracker.py"
This should work for macs also

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I finally unlocked the D100 and Godhead!

Things I still need to unlock:
the Scissors - I'm at 86 deaths to 93 Mom-kills, not counting all the Alt-F4 abuse it took to finish the Lost
the D4 - time to start bombing arcade machines
the Necronomicon - I don't think I've actually used any Death cards so far
all of the babies from Hard Mode Mom-kills, save -0-

Other than those, I still need to find Steven (ugh), Isaac's Heart, and the newly unlocked D100 and Godhead.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
It took me 3 re-tries* of the Waka Waka challenge to finally figure out that things get way simpler with most (non flying) enemies, if you just tap the shoot arrows instead of holding them down. It's basically chocolate milk (in quick tap mode) with the caveat of attracting those floating heads, flies and little haunts. First two runs, I didn't make it past the first floor boss. Third run I even got to be Guppy a few rooms before reaching Mom.

(* To be fair, I don't think I got antigravity tears in a normal run, so there was a bit of getting used to it...)

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

AbstractNapper posted:

It took me 3 re-tries* of the Waka Waka challenge to finally figure out that things get way simpler with most (non flying) enemies, if you just tap the shoot arrows instead of holding them down. It's basically chocolate milk (in quick tap mode) with the caveat of attracting those floating heads, flies and little haunts. First two runs, I didn't make it past the first floor boss. Third run I even got to be Guppy a few rooms before reaching Mom.

(* To be fair, I don't think I got antigravity tears in a normal run, so there was a bit of getting used to it...)

i had the same revelation after losing 2-3 hearts to bomb flies, then i won it easily. i still have beans! and cat got your tongue left, aka the lovely bad challenges.

my plan is to get the red or blue candle and then win for both of the poo poo ones.

Pivotal Lever fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 21, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

This is getting ridiculous.

EDIT: got a tele-pill that led me to getting a third guppy item:

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 21, 2015

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

god drat but I hate getting 48-hour energy pills with a lovely item

What is even going on here.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

David Copperfield posted:

What is even going on here.

If you use the Scissors more than once in the same room, either by batteries or the Habit, you get an extra head. It happened in the original game, too.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

IMJack posted:

I finally unlocked the D100 and Godhead!

Things I still need to unlock:
the Scissors - I'm at 86 deaths to 93 Mom-kills, not counting all the Alt-F4 abuse it took to finish the Lost
the D4 - time to start bombing arcade machines
the Necronomicon - I don't think I've actually used any Death cards so far
all of the babies from Hard Mode Mom-kills, save -0-

Other than those, I still need to find Steven (ugh), Isaac's Heart, and the newly unlocked D100 and Godhead.

It's poo poo like this that pushes me really close to sperg rage, and then I remember it's just a game.

It seriously cracks me up that people are spending the time/effort to cheat their way through the lost unlocks when they don't even play on hard regularly.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I just had a ridiculous run (seed F1D7 ABDN), triple shot in the first floor then epic fetus in the second floor's challenge room. It kicked rear end then in the chest I find Ipecac and Epic Fetus' damage goes through the roof. :stare: A single fetus missile triplet was enough to take out ??? and Megasatan's last form.

Caveat: I haven't touched the Lost and I'm not planning to so I guess there's a tiny chance that any of these items replace a lost unlock or something like that.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
ZJ9B Y9QE

You start with kamikaze and the first floor treasure room (above you, it's an XL floor) has pyromaniac. Don't pop the pill, it's a health down.

Enjoy not shooting.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

TheModernAmerican posted:

ZJ9B Y9QE

You start with kamikaze and the first floor treasure room (above you, it's an XL floor) has pyromaniac. Don't pop the pill, it's a health down.

Enjoy not shooting.

This is an Eden run, by the way. Shame the blast radius isn't larger.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
Sooo is there a way to avoid Isaac's Crack the Sky on his second form (save for killing him faster)? Cause I just had a Lost run with dead cat ruined by me getting nailed with Crack the Sky five times in a row. I'm probably playing it wrong, but it seems like Isaac is the boss I have the least amount of control of if I actually win or not against.

VVV: Yeah I usually try hiding in a corner during his third phase lightning curtain (and still get hit like half the time), but I have no idea how to avoid his seemingly random bolts during his second form. If I stand still, I get hit, if I'm moving, I get hit. It was pretty hopeless.

Lonely Rolling Star fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 22, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The opposite corner from where the attack starts is always a safe zone.

edit: Because this is The Binding of Isaac, however, that's a very tentative 'always'.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Opposite corner can still get you hit, hide in an adjacent corner instead!

Example: If it starts upper-left, hide lower-left or upper-right.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My basic strategy is if it starts upper-left go upper-right and vice-versa. I've never had that not work.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm not aware of anything that will help you dodge the random light beams in phase 2 (as opposed to the obvious carpet-bombing pattern in phase 3). There are no tells. Same with the angel babies randomly disappearing and reappearing in the worst places. I'm kinda glad those only show up for 1/4 of his life bar.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

Go to an adjacent corner, what do you mean there's no tells? There are people that just eat hits every time Isaac does the light attack? :psyduck:

Hell, you can just park yourself in between them if you follow the grid pattern, it's not that hard.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Go to an adjacent corner, what do you mean there's no tells? There are people that just eat hits every time Isaac does the light attack? :psyduck:

Hell, you can just park yourself in between them if you follow the grid pattern, it's not that hard.

He's not talking about that attack but the random beams of light like Crack the Sky item (and Conquest). That one is completely random. Unavoidable damage still exists, same for Daddy Longlegs' random stomps and Loki sometimes teleporting directly onto you.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6giAlamXVo

Seed databases are pretty fun when you've been having rotten luck on items.

omeg posted:

He's not talking about that attack but the random beams of light like Crack the Sky item (and Conquest). That one is completely random. Unavoidable damage still exists, same for Daddy Longlegs' random stomps and Loki sometimes teleporting directly onto you.

Don't forget the pesky rooms where those little green explosive tears are already in transit toward you when you take control. I've also had some sliding spike traps put in almost unavoidable locations.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 22, 2015

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

omeg posted:

He said his second form, he's not talking about the random beams (which are some poo poo, by the way). Daddy Longleg's feet stomp your location, move around to avoid them.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

He said his second form, he's not talking about the random beams (which are some poo poo, by the way). Daddy Longleg's feet stomp your location, move around to avoid them.

Isaac has three forms. First he's lying down, then he stands up and has beams that can unavoidably hit you, then he floats around and has waves of easily-avoidable beams.

Daddy longlegs has two kinds of stomps. One stomps your location and is trivial to avoid, the other stomps at random and cannot be avoided.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Unfortunately my gigantic head means I'm stuck in this room forever

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I just discovered that boomerang tears (that mirror item) make your normally painfully-slow Ludovico Technique tears move at double speed.

Edmund Honda posted:

Unfortunately my gigantic head means I'm stuck in this room forever

A child's skull not fitting properly through a narrow canal is strangely on-message for The Binding of Isaac.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 23, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm having a hell of a time with the Dark Boy trophy. I think the problem is that I unlocked it in my secrets on the Vita back when the trophy was busted. I tried recording my latest attempt at redoing it to see whether I actually took a hit and just didn't notice but I don't see anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF5KDLAN1SI

If I took a hit here, I'm not seeing it. It is for the Chest/Dark Room, right? I've been pretty lazy before getting to those and not minding taking a few hits.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I just had an almost pretty decent run with that blasted god-awful Suicide King challenge (which is the only one I have left from the challenges),
I got a few damage up and health up items, and before the Mom fight I found the spoon bender (homing tears). Hitting targets became a bit easier, since some (not all) shots seemed to now linger close to enemies and eventually hit them. It made tears behave a bit more weird but all in all I ended up hitting myself significantly less.

That is until I got to Utero II and found Tiny Planet in a crawl space. I don't know why, but I thought... sure, what the hell - maybe it'll make my tears follow a more consistent route. And nope. Now every tear was unreliable as gently caress and I barely made it a few rooms into the Cathedral (also a lovely thing to expect the player beat Isacc in this challenge).

But the stupid challenge is broken right? I mean half the time the ipecac shots don't even connect with enemies or fires and rocks and walls, and still go off early, and other times they pass through them without a blast, and that was also the case with homing tears.

Also I am suspecting the all the range up pills I got were really not doing me any favors.

drat, I hate this challenge. It's the less fun (and "fun" is pushing it) I had with the game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The hitboxes of Isaac's tears are the shadows. Aim with the shadows, not the IPECAC projectiles. You'll have a much easier time if you keep that in mind.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you're not getting an achievement/trophy for something you're sure you've done in-game, check the Secrets screen. On Steam at least that screen will sync your achievements with your in-game unlocks.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Dr. Fetus posted:

The hitboxes of Isaac's tears are the shadows. Aim with the shadows, not the IPECAC projectiles. You'll have a much easier time if you keep that in mind.

Huh you are right. It still doesn't hit consistently, but it's something.

And, I just beat the challenge btw :).

The game decided to give me all the trinkets (normal drops or from fortune tellers) and I got ring worm by the second or third floor (it was the third worm trinket that dropped in the run), which made shooting the tears surprisingly more effective and less deadly for me.

I also got a bunch of shot speed ups and became Guppy with nine lives at the deal with the devil on the 3rd floor. By then the game had pretty much given up and started throwing more overpowered items at me. It was throwing Jocker cards, I got Goat head, Abaddon, Pentagram, the Dollar, the Black Candle, Black Lotus, a Jera rune, an Algiz rune (and a Berkano and a Perthro) and a gazillion of health up pills.

Before going to the Cathedral I got a Chaos Card (though the flies were at that point pretty much one-shoting most things including bosses), so I used that on Isaac and I beat him at full health.

I swear to God, this game is playing me like a harpsichord.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 23, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

IMJack posted:

If you're not getting an achievement/trophy for something you're sure you've done in-game, check the Secrets screen. On Steam at least that screen will sync your achievements with your in-game unlocks.

I've tried that before, but I did it again just now and then completed a run to be sure. Still nothing. Maybe I'll have to start a new file and re-earn Dead Boy there. :sigh:

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
What I enjoy most about BoI is seeing just how ridiculous your tears can get.

For example:

Protopsis, Death's Touch and Spoon Bender? Why, thank you!

That's a mixture of Death's Touch, Eve's Mascara, Protopsis and the delightful orange colouration of The Parasite, plus a host of other damage-ups. Lovely. Note also Undefined, allowing three romps through The Chest.

Death's Touch, Spirit of the Night and Tiny Planet. Then, in the Cathedral, I happened to find Money = Power.

But the game decided that this wasn't enough! It wanted my tears to have a kind of stubborn persistence, so in The Chest it gave me Rubber Cement.

I think some of those tears lasted longer than ???, anyway.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

That sounds wonderfully chaotic :allears:

I need to get around to unlocking the last 30% of the achievements I'm missing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Christ, I thought being Guppy and Lord of the Flies in the same run was impressive enough.

Although I did have Hive Mind and max tears coupled with the Cancer trinket :q:

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm having a hell of a time with the Dark Boy trophy. I think the problem is that I unlocked it in my secrets on the Vita back when the trophy was busted. I tried recording my latest attempt at redoing it to see whether I actually took a hit and just didn't notice but I don't see anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF5KDLAN1SI

If I took a hit here, I'm not seeing it. It is for the Chest/Dark Room, right? I've been pretty lazy before getting to those and not minding taking a few hits.

This page says Dark Boy is actually for beating the Depths/Necropolis without taking damage. Dead Boy is the one for Chest/Dark Room. Is that what you meant, or do you already have Dead Boy?

Codiekitty fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 23, 2015

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

ZJ9B Y9QE

Enjoy not shooting.

this seed is cool, you get small rock, a quarter, and steam sale on the first floor as well.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

AbstractNapper posted:

I just had an almost pretty decent run with that blasted god-awful Suicide King challenge (which is the only one I have left from the challenges),

But the stupid challenge is broken right? I mean half the time the ipecac shots don't even connect with enemies or fires and rocks and walls, and still go off early, and other times they pass through them without a blast, and that was also the case with homing tears.

drat, I hate this challenge. It's the less fun (and "fun" is pushing it) I had with the game.

The hitbox is always the shadow, you can either suffer through that or find a dice room and reroll, which is what I did.

I still have Cat Got Your Tongue left, I'm going to use the same strategy I used for Beans! and get red/blue candle.

edit: I see you won by becoming ipecac guppy, that is the other easy way to win hehe.

Pivotal Lever fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 23, 2015

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Milt Thompson posted:

What I enjoy most about BoI is seeing just how ridiculous your tears can get.

For example:

Protopsis, Death's Touch and Spoon Bender? Why, thank you!

That's a mixture of Death's Touch, Eve's Mascara, Protopsis and the delightful orange colouration of The Parasite, plus a host of other damage-ups. Lovely. Note also Undefined, allowing three romps through The Chest.

Death's Touch, Spirit of the Night and Tiny Planet. Then, in the Cathedral, I happened to find Money = Power.

But the game decided that this wasn't enough! It wanted my tears to have a kind of stubborn persistence, so in The Chest it gave me Rubber Cement.

I think some of those tears lasted longer than ???, anyway.

Nighthand posted:

Monstro's lung + Cricket's body + Proptosis + Death's touch + a few damage ups = a room-covering explosion with a short charge time.

I would walk into a room, fire, and it looked like my screen covered in static, and when it cleared everything was dead and items were on the ground. Killed Isaac and ??? in 3 shots each.

Scythes are fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Every single time I've gotten scythe tears in the past, oh... hundred hours of play or so, I get shielded tears right after. I wish they'd put an outline around the scythes instead of turning them into normal tears.