Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Popular Thug Drink posted:

-A trade beacon with a stockpile around it, and a comm console. Passing traders can be hailed, and goods in the stockpile around the trade beacon can be sold. There isn't anything that is a waste of time to sell, but look around for whatever resources best fit your situation. Stock up on medicine, body armor and good weapons to arm your people, and spare limbs/organs.

Also build your beacon outside of your base and in front of turrets, raiders can and will drop-pod onto it and if it's behind all your defences that's trouble.

This is the base I've just abandoned for the latest patch.

And my trading area/killbox/clusterfuck area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Diviance posted:

Updated to the new version of Alpha 9 and loaded my save from the older Alpha 9 version.

In the hour since I did that, it has rained almost 1,000 pieces of human meat (in piles of like 20-60). I am not sure I want to know what is happening in the sky of this planet.

This game is getting to be more and more like DF every day. :psydwarf:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Depends on your storyteller, but most of the time your turrets can wait until after the second raid. Typically your first attack will be a single animal, probably a squirrel. Your second attack will probably be a single raider/tribal/pirate. After that, all bets are off, though your size and colony wealth play a role. But generally speaking, unless you picked colonists who can't fight at all, you are more than equipped for the first two attacks without needing a turret eating up your steel and draining your power when turned on. This is less of a problem than it used to be now that wind turbines can provide semi-constant power, but everything helps.

Other tips: To start, don't worry about giving your colonists separate rooms, unless they have negative traits that effect their mental break threshold or negative mood (depressive, too smart, neurotic, etc.) As long as the room is large enough to give them the spacious moodlet (+5), you can largely offset the negative moodlet for shared bedroom (-8).

If you're completely new and bewildered by colonist choice, the two biggest things to worry about are making sure that as many labors as possible are allowed (especially violent and dumb, which affect fighting ability and hauling), and that you don't have mood affecting negative traits (sepcifically, anything with a malus to mood like depressive; anything with a malus to mental break threshold like neurotic; and Abrasive which gives others the unpleasant conversation moodlet).

Use wood for construction of walls at first; you need steel for other things (including conduit walls).

Keep an eye on the Thoughts tab of your colonists, to see what is bothering them. That's where 90% of the management gameplay is.

If your colonists get stuck doing something you don't want them to do, tap R twice to draft and undraft them.

Having a decent cook and a decent doctor is critical for your colony at all times. Depending on the map, having a good miner can be important, but is usually secondary. Similarly having a good constructor is important in the long term, especially if you plan on making things like marble block beds that can take an entire month to build.

You only need one, and don't need them forever, but having a skilled researcher allows you to blow through research and get it out of the way. Anything over 8/20 is good. I have one that (with some mod items that effect skills) is at 17/20 -- he can knock out multiple projects in a single day. Afterwards you can sell him off into slavery or something.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
The new age system is whack as gently caress.

I have a dude whose chronological age is less than his biological. :wtc:

I also have a medieval slave/starship janitor who is over 500 years old despite being barely out of his teens. Must have been a loooong trip from whatever backwards shithole he got picked up from.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Drunk in Space posted:

The new age system is whack as gently caress.

I also have a medieval slave/starship janitor who is over 500 years old despite being barely out of his teens. Must have been a loooong trip from whatever backwards shithole he got picked up from.

I don't see any problem?

The first guy spent a hell of a lot of time awake at Near Light or FTL speeds;

The second is more indicative of how actually cryo based space travel would be.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Drunk in Space posted:

Force-grown clones, popped out of the tube in X years but biologically adult?

Gibbo posted:

No, that would be the other way around.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just got the new alpha. I got to say, I like seeing patches of vomit all over.. Like seeing an old friend again :thousandyardstaredwarf:

Also, is there something to be done about colonists binging on alcohol? My space miner is hitting the juice all over the place, but I can't really arrest her, because then I'll lose her manpower until she's convinced to rejoin my faction. There are no (non-violent) sanctions I can effect, it seems.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Pound_Coin posted:

Also build your beacon outside of your base and in front of turrets, raiders can and will drop-pod onto it and if it's behind all your defences that's trouble.

You can also take the option I prefer. I stuck my main stockpile under a mountain, covered the entire area with trade beacon coverage... and then had an outside trade beacon, without a stockpile, in the middle of my killbox entrance.

You can still sell anything under the mountain (yeah, that makes sense...) and your guys will automatically move anything you buy into storage under cover... and anyone that drop pods in gets mown down by turrets.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tias posted:

Just got the new alpha. I got to say, I like seeing patches of vomit all over.. Like seeing an old friend again :thousandyardstaredwarf:

Also, is there something to be done about colonists binging on alcohol? My space miner is hitting the juice all over the place, but I can't really arrest her, because then I'll lose her manpower until she's convinced to rejoin my faction. There are no (non-violent) sanctions I can effect, it seems.

You can arrest a colonist and set them to be released. So far they've just rejoined my colony without incident, with a mood boost from talking to the warden as a bonus.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Gibbo posted:

I don't see any problem?

The second is more indicative of how actually cryo based space travel would be.

Oh sure, I don't have a problem with the second one (time dilation didn't occur to me to explain the first - I honestly thought it might just be a bug). I just think it's humorous how massive the gaps can be between bio and chrono age. As I said, it must have been a really long trip in cryptosleep for that slave dude. I love how he went from being a slave to a janitor too. There's something very Hitchhikers about a poo poo-heaping serf going from scrubbing castle privies to cleaning space toilets.

Roadie posted:

Force-grown clones, popped out of the tube in X years but biologically adult?

I suppose that works, though in this case the discrepancy is only 4 months, so unless for some bizarre reason his folks really wanted a babby that was 4 months old straight from the get-go, I'm guessing there was a problem that forced him out early. JC Denton he is not.

Tias posted:

Alcohol seems like more of liability than a benefit right now, as it just adds another task for your colonists to randomly waste time on, the morale benefit is very short and seems hardly worth it, and of course there's the risk they will binge, which pretty much short-hands you a colonist for a day or two, which can be hugely problematic in a small colony. Also, the colonists with the alcohol abuse trait ('chemical' something) binge a lot. Two of my starting colonists had it and once I started brewing beer they were binging once every few days and were pretty much useless to me, contributing to the rapid collapse of the colony.

It's a fun system and I'm glad Tynan added it, but boy does it need a lot of work.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 21, 2015

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Drunk in Space posted:

Alcohol seems like more of liability than a benefit right now, as it just adds another task for your colonists to randomly waste time on, the morale benefit is very short and seems hardly worth it, and of course there's the risk they will binge, which pretty much short-hands you a colonist for a day or two, which can be hugely problematic in a small colony. Also, the colonists with the alcohol abuse trait ('chemical' something) binge a lot. Two of my starting colonists had it and once I started brewing beer they were binging once every few days and were pretty much useless to me, contributing to the rapid collapse of the colony.

It's a fun system and I'm glad Tynan added it, but boy does it need a lot of work.

Tell me about it :( I got two other colonists injured, and now she starved to death in prison. There really should be some emergency priorities like feeding allied prisoners that cut in, because the manual labor system is too hard for me to work otherwise :sigh:

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Havent come across it but if I buy the game from their site right now will I get a steam key once it releases there?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Generation Internet posted:

Will I get a Steam key?
– It depends when you bought the game. If you bought the game on or before November 4, 2014 you will get a key when the game is released on Steam. If you bought the game after that, I can’t promise anything.
When is RimWorld coming out on Steam?
– When it’s ready. There’s no anticipated release date. It is greenlit, though, so it will be on Steam – some day.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Thanks! Guess I'll have to wait it out then.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
I wish the end-game allowed you to actually found a town in the rimworld. Kinda like Desolation Road, where you just kinda grow by letting stragglers and vagabonds into joining the community. Also, trading with other villages would be pretty sweet. Something beyond the "GIVE US HELP NOW" option would be pretty nice.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Haha, I just had my first medical gently caress-up. The doctor was installing a peg leg and in the process cut off the patient's other (healthy) leg while also somehow carving up their stomach in the bargain. I'm reminded of the story an old teacher of mine told me once of an 18th century surgeon who was renowned for his speed in removing limbs, an important skill in an era where many patients died of blood loss if the procedure took too long; indeed he was so fast that during one OP he removed the patient's leg in about 20 seconds, as well as one of the patient's testicles and several of his assistant's fingers.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Appreciate the tips guys. I have my own little colony working now. One thing I have unfortunately discovered is that rain + batteries = explosion. Is there any way to build ceilings? I can see the option to build walls.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

Appreciate the tips guys. I have my own little colony working now. One thing I have unfortunately discovered is that rain + batteries = explosion. Is there any way to build ceilings? I can see the option to build walls.

Roofs get built automatically when you enclose an area with walls. The area must not be too big, otherwise the roof wont generate or it will come crashing down. This is applicable to mining aswell, too big of a room = cave-ins.

EDIT: When you choose colonists, make sure that atleast on of them can be a warden. I just started a new colony for the new patch, none of my guys could convert the dude i just captured. Gotta save up for a really socially capable slave i guess. It also means that guys that crashland cannot be converted, although they can be saved.

BRB pooping fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 21, 2015

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Filthy Monkey posted:

Does age matter? Should I get old people with lots of skill, or solid trainable looking younger ones?

Age does matter. If you get old people they may start with awful stuff like 2x cataracts and frail and bad backs which makes your start slow as their vision is super poor and slows all their work. Also if they are needed for doctoring/cooking they may be straight up worse than a lower skill guy because of it.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So a team full of 80 year old nudist psychopath cannibals. Got it.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Filthy Monkey posted:

So a team full of 80 year old nudist psychopath cannibals. Got it.

This game has been wildly successful at capturing the spirit of Dwarf Fortress.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Looks like there is a version 9d out today. No idea what it changes from yesterday's 9c.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Filthy Monkey posted:

Looks like there is a version 9d out today. No idea what it changes from yesterday's 9c.

http://ludeon.com/blog/

quote:

Fixed probability calculations so the game won’t constantly spam insane animals any more.
Fixed an issue that prevented Graphic_Collections loading mod content.
Raiders will no longer eat from players’ nutrient paste dispensers.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I seem to be too stupid to work the trade interface.

I've tried dragging my silver every which way, but I can't figure it out.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I'm pretty sure you just drag the trade items you want towards your side and it will automatically transfer that much silver.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Okay. That seems to work. I put some simple meals in the radius of the beacon, but they don't show up in the trade interface. I guess I can't sell meals?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Filthy Monkey posted:

Okay. That seems to work. I put some simple meals in the radius of the beacon, but they don't show up in the trade interface. I guess I can't sell meals?

Different Traders buy different things. That looks to be a combat supplier, so they buy weapons and armour only.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

About the age thing, colonists can actually develop new disabilities during gameplay. I've had my crack shot sniper get cataracts and become nearly useless right before they all got kidnapped by pirates.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Incapable of : Scary. What does that even mean?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Filthy Monkey posted:

Incapable of : Scary. What does that even mean?

I think it's combat and firefighting.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

wiegieman posted:

I think it's combat and firefighting.

Just firefighting, actually.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think mining Plasteel is the new way most of my people go insane supplanting the previous problem of "STOP HUNTING THE TURTLE"

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Ever since I started using a few mods, this game got even better.

- CryptoHax
- Pawn State Icons
- Priorityhaul
- PrisonImprovements
- VeinMiner

These are awesome.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

I seem to be too stupid to work the trade interface.

I've tried dragging my silver every which way, but I can't figure it out.

The trade system is weird and there's a trick to doing it so you can move large amounts of items quickly: the faster you drag the mouse the more stuff you can move in one go, whereas if you drag the mouse in a long, steady movement, items transfer much more slowly. So it's best to do short quick bursts of movement in one direction when you're selling/buying things in bulk, like cotton or whatever.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Roadie posted:

No, that would be the other way around.

The Hafele and Keating experiment involved flying planes around the world with atomic clocks on board. Upon the trips completion the clocks were compared to a static, ground based atomic clock. It was found that 273+/-7 nanoseconds had been gained on the planes' clocks.[7] The current human time travel record is about 20 milliseconds for the cosmonaut Sergei Avdeyev.[8]

Being awake at FTL would mean you're gaining time on the Grounded chrono. IE you'd be "alive" longer biologically than chronologically on your home planet.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Gibbo posted:

The Hafele and Keating experiment involved flying planes around the world with atomic clocks on board. Upon the trips completion the clocks were compared to a static, ground based atomic clock. It was found that 273+/-7 nanoseconds had been gained on the planes' clocks.[7] The current human time travel record is about 20 milliseconds for the cosmonaut Sergei Avdeyev.[8]

Being awake at FTL would mean you're gaining time on the Grounded chrono. IE you'd be "alive" longer biologically than chronologically on your home planet.

lol there's no ftl in this game

why the gently caress do you think they need cryosleep, tynan said it himself

enough nerding, back to gameplaying

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

LotsBread posted:

lol there's no ftl in this game

why the gently caress do you think they need cryosleep, tynan said it himself

enough nerding, back to gameplaying

Because even at FTL speeds, unless it's teleportation/quantum folding/some sort of instant method, crossing space still takes massive amounts of time?

At a non ftl speed, by the time a ship capable of interstellar travel and bearing cryo frozen passengers arrived, the launch civilization would likely either have a) developed actual FTL or b) gone extinct.

The inclusion of a split in biological/chronological and the ability for bio to surpass chronological by a significant margin, would lend weight to there being ftl. So Tynan should remove the ability for the generator to have a bio age exceed chrono age unless he wants to allow nearlight/ftl travel.

It all has absolutely no bearing on the game, but ~MY IMMERSION~

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
There is no loving FTL. It's explicitly stated numerous times and there was stuff in the OP you could read about it. It's the reason there is a RIMWORLD at all, technology and humanity does not spread throughout the galaxy with homogeneity because of the vast distances and TIME separating civilizations.

That's why you build a colony and survive on your own. There is no FTL communications or rescue possible.

You sperg out about the details but it sounds like you haven't even read the simple sci-fi primer on the universe that has been around for ever. It's still in the OP and it's still as clear as ever.

You build a spaceship capable of interstellar travel and perhaps thousands of years of autonomous operation from scrap, by the hands of three shipwrecks and various pirates and villagers you pick up along the way.

I'd suggest the sci-fi thread in the books forum if you actually want to stretch your brain a bit.

AMINAL
Dec 6, 2014
EdB Interface for alpha 9 is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Tony Montana posted:

There is no loving FTL. It's explicitly stated numerous times and there was stuff in the OP you could read about it. It's the reason there is a RIMWORLD at all, technology and humanity does not spread throughout the galaxy with homogeneity because of the vast distances and TIME separating civilizations.

That's why you build a colony and survive on your own. There is no FTL communications or rescue possible.

You sperg out about the details but it sounds like you haven't even read the simple sci-fi primer on the universe that has been around for ever. It's still in the OP and it's still as clear as ever.

You build a spaceship capable of interstellar travel and perhaps thousands of years of autonomous operation from scrap, by the hands of three shipwrecks and various pirates and villagers you pick up along the way.

I'd suggest the sci-fi thread in the books forum if you actually want to stretch your brain a bit.

Like I said, idiot didn't read