Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

King Crab posted:

I cannot count how many times I've been killed while doing a jump attack on a monster as they charge me. That one time you time it right though and they get thrown to the ground is worth it all.

I can do something similar with the lance right? I love having jumps on command.

Yes, during a charge attack you can do a jump that counts for mounting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

such hawks
Jul 28, 2007

A Tin Of Beans posted:

This is my first time at the MonHun rodeo, and boy oh boy is it a great rodeo. I fell in love with HH early and have refused to look back. I did a few other weapon training missions but none of 'em felt quite as fun to me. Of course, Horn vs Gypceros was ... a challenge ... but I finally got it after about a million tries and I feel way more confident in my ability to slaughter creatures big and small now. Basarios was a dream of a fight with the horn, though. :swoon: He's so slow! I'm so slow! We're a match made in heaven!

This game is so goddamn hard (to me), and it just makes every hard-won victory feel that much more satisfying. Super happy I picked it up.

The OP in this thread is so thorough, great job + thanks!

Speaking of slow HH movement, I hope you are using the movement speed (white white) song, with it you move as fast (almost) as a drawn SnS.

See also GaijinHunter's guide on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d8xCih5LSg

In other news, killed Gojira Magala with a lance (guard +1 saved my life, carted twice with both times running out of stamina while blocking some ridiculous chain of rage moves). That guy is angry like 90% of the time, and when you finally lose the rock in the middle of the arena you can really feel the wind up your kilt.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

such hawks posted:

Speaking of slow HH movement, I hope you are using the movement speed (white white) song, with it you move as fast (almost) as a drawn SnS.

See also GaijinHunter's guide on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d8xCih5LSg

In other news, killed Gojira Magala with a lance (guard +1 saved my life, carted twice with both times running out of stamina while blocking some ridiculous chain of rage moves). That guy is angry like 90% of the time, and when you finally lose the rock in the middle of the arena you can really feel the wind up your kilt.

I used Evade Up during that fight and it solved a lot of problems. When my dash juice ran out, so did my no damage run though.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

King Crab posted:

I cannot count how many times I've been killed while doing a jump attack on a monster as they charge me. That one time you time it right though and they get thrown to the ground is worth it all.

I can do something similar with the lance right? I love having jumps on command.
EDIT: corrected inputs, because I am still thinking of Playstation buttons.
Yes. Get your charge started, and just press B... or forward+B. I totally went and checked the other day, but completely forgot. Do NOT hold R. R+B just cancels your charge. You do not need to wait for the red flash. Also, the jump is pretty small. If you're doing to try it against a charging monster, get the jump early, and attack maybe a slip second earlier, since the whole thing is forward leaning. You might not even get the 'mount' damage, and simply deal damage instead, so hope you get the stagger.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Two questions.

Switch axe or hammer?

Can you still homebutton-forcequit mid mission to save supplies?

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 21, 2015

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Hammer and why don't you just abandon quest?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
You'd still be out the stuff you used that way. Force-quitting used to reset you to pre-mission status.

Astroduck
Aug 30, 2006

I finally got my sweet electric guitar from Zinogre! I'm really glad he made into 4. He's easily one of my favorite monsters to hunt.

Astroduck fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 21, 2015

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Klaus Kinski posted:

You'd still be out the stuff you used that way. Force-quitting used to reset you to pre-mission status.

I'm pretty sure abandoning returns anything you've used.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Klaus Kinski posted:

... So does Abandoning. That's the point of it. You don't lose anything you used on a quest you abandon on save the zenny for taking the quest. The items in your inventory only ever change if you finish a quest successfully or if you fail a quest.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

What's this mix of Gore and Ceanataur parts I have heard about?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Alxprit posted:

What's this mix of Gore and Ceanataur parts I have heard about?

In LR, it's the only sharpness +1 set you can make. It's not worth farming; make an Attack L set (kut ku, velocidrome, some attack gems) instead. Or a set you think looks cool.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
60 hours in and temp swapped to a poison SnS to fight C*9 Brachy with

Bless you Guildmarm :swoon:

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

rhoga posted:

There is a tiny ladybug suit for cats.

All of the cat armor is cute, but this has to be the best. If there is cuter cat armor, I will die.

Look at the zamtrios armor for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y-FS9EA-NQ

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

pnumoman posted:

In LR, it's the only sharpness +1 set you can make. It's not worth farming; make an Attack L set (kut ku, velocidrome, some attack gems) instead. Or a set you think looks cool.

Ah, okay. I was more concerned with getting Razor Sharp, actually, and it seems like pure Ceanataur could get that, but the farming...

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Today I learned that there's a fishing spot in Dundorma on the left side where you can catch unique fish, including a tuna that can be traded to the Veggie Elder for slickaxes or mega dash juice.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Am I missing something about the assembly or is it really just a place to go listen to the Diva sing 1 of 5 songs?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

My cat has scuba cat gear and it does infact rule

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I think I've settled on switch-axe for now. Am I sort of handicapping myself the longer I use the starting weapon? If I already like the move-set and junk, is it better to upgrade the initial switch-axe or to forge a new one? I guess I'm asking if the beginning weapons are sort of a "tutorial-tier" of effectiveness and if I should ditch them as quickly as possible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Health and stamina you can get from food, separate elemental resist sets seem like too much trouble to bother with, and elemental attack is inferior to the normal attack skill. Sheathing and sharpness are good, but not good enough to be the only beneficial skill in a set. Most of the remaining skills are more or less pointless. Is that about right?

So for lr, tetsu is a good starter set, lobster amps up evasion like crazy, velociprey/kut ku are the best for attack and then barroth or gravios for guard whoring. Ignoring niche roles like capture or status sets, is that about it for worthwhile lr sets?

^^Edit: Every weapon has a full upgrade tree, some of which branch out. There is nothing inherently worse about an upgraded starter weapon over a crafted weapon with similar stats.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

Health and stamina you can get from food, separate elemental resist sets seem like too much trouble to bother with, and elemental attack is inferior to the normal attack skill. Sheathing and sharpness are good, but not good enough to be the only beneficial skill in a set. Most of the remaining skills are more or less pointless. Is that about right?

So for lr, tetsu is a good starter set, lobster amps up evasion like crazy, velociprey/kut ku are the best for attack and then barroth or gravios for guard whoring. Ignoring niche roles like capture or status sets, is that about it for worthwhile lr sets?

^^Edit: Every weapon has a full upgrade tree, some of which branch out. There is nothing inherently worse about an upgraded starter weapon over a crafted weapon with similar stats.

Pretty much. Don't forget a Leather Armor set for gathering, but yeah, that's about it. LR is really about learning: the mechanics, the monsters, the weapons, etc.

But again, don't forget that this is for LR only.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Jcam posted:

I think I've settled on switch-axe for now. Am I sort of handicapping myself the longer I use the starting weapon? If I already like the move-set and junk, is it better to upgrade the initial switch-axe or to forge a new one? I guess I'm asking if the beginning weapons are sort of a "tutorial-tier" of effectiveness and if I should ditch them as quickly as possible.

Most weapons you can forge you can also get by upgrading the starting ones. I think each weapon type has like two main trees (starting with the iron and bone ones) and most variants branch out from those.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's probably not the smartest way to do it but when I settle on a weapon type I look at the weapon tree on the monster hunter wiki and pick one with a cool name as my goal (I'm trying to get a Gunlance called World's Demise)

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

such hawks posted:

Yeah, I was talking more about the speed of weapon swings being slow than movement on the ground. I'd be mid-strike and the fucker'd be on me. Or I'd have mashed A a bit because I was in a good position to whack his head or belly and then he'd freak out and puke poison all over the place and I'd get knocked down and poisoned and he'd come back and hit me before I got up and aaaaaaaaaa

I was using the attack up and deflection prevention songs, too. I just had a really tough time with Gypceros for some reason. But then my buffs would wear off, or I'd get caught by poison while trying to put movement up back on, etc, etc. GaijinHunter's videos are great, though. Pro link. :nyoron: One of my friends linked me that shortly after I picked up the game. My first few gathering missions I'd no idea you could change speed. Suuucked.

I've felt ... reasonably competent against the other monsters I've faced. Not good, not fast, but I get the job done and it's a fun challenge. Gypceros just hosed me up.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Gypceros is constantly on the move. Your best bet is to get a swing in and then dodge out of the way unless you know his reorientation on another target is going to take two rotations.

He also wrecks my poo poo consistently.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Does Gore Magala only frenzy after taking a certain amount of damage, or is it time-based?? I want to get at least one or two more feelers, and I've been saving my mount attempts until he frenzies, but I still keep killing him before I manage to break them. Even the one time I did manage to do it, it was in the same combo that killed it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I love nothing more than item drops with less than a 5% drop rate that never drop once during 20 hunts.

Looking at you, Seregios Dissenter.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I carved two Earth Dragongems just now and got one as a reward. I'm never going to get a plate now.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Do the double frenzied monster quests not reduce the monster's HP like normal double quests? The dual black gravios quest took me like half an hour.

On a related note, they should rename frenzied black gravios to Stealth Gravios. The things are so dark they're basically big purple blobs with eyes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jcam posted:

It depends on what you want. This is the upgrade tree for the switchaxe. Figure what you want in terms of elements/status effects, and work towards than.

Bear in mind you're probably going to wind up with multiple of all the weapons you're using. Welcome to Monster Hoarder 4U.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Kooriken posted:

Got me some High Rank Gore Magala armor. It's pretty spiffy and looks super cool. The negative fire res is a killer though.

You can actually gem out the fire weakness and eat for Felyne Firestarter + Fire Res (L) with mushrooms + milk to get +8 fire res, which is pretty nice if you have to fight something like Gravios or Rathalos with the set.
It kind of relies on you having a decent fire res charm or a couple slots in your weapon and/or your charm though.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I figured out why my nub wasn't saving. I was turning the options on in game instead of at the main menu. :downs:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Am I missing something about the assembly or is it really just a place to go listen to the Diva sing 1 of 5 songs?

Pretty sure that it's where you go to pick up G-rank quests and arena stuff too

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Fungah! posted:

Pretty sure that it's where you go to pick up G-rank quests and arena stuff too

It's just the G-Rank arena. G-Rank quests are doled out at the enormous town elder dude's place.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Evil Mastermind posted:

It depends on what you want. This is the upgrade tree for the switchaxe. Figure what you want in terms of elements/status effects, and work towards than.

Bear in mind you're probably going to wind up with multiple of all the weapons you're using. Welcome to Monster Hoarder 4U.

I really really wish you could collapse the list at multiple levels on Kiranico. I have a hard time going through the weapon list and seeing the splits easily. :(

(Didn't there used to be an app that was searchable like this?)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I really really wish you could collapse the list at multiple levels on Kiranico. I have a hard time going through the weapon list and seeing the splits easily. :(

(Didn't there used to be an app that was searchable like this?)

Ping's dex but it's not translated yet. As far as I know anyway.

Jack Burton Windu
Oct 4, 2004
It's all in the Jedi Reflexes...
Gypceros armor is becoming my favorite lr set. Poison null is nice but marathon runner is where it's at for ds. Sprint and demon mode all day.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
PSA for new players:

:siren: Go into your house and open the "DLC" menu and then go to "gift items" and you'll be given a mario and luigi suit for your cats, plus like a shitton of potions, traps, and other supplies. :siren:

Got my full set of Rathalos armor and the Rathalos Flame Sword, didn't even take as long as I thought it would. Looking like a total badass :black101:

alarumklok posted:

I figured out why my nub wasn't saving. I was turning the options on in game instead of at the main menu. :downs:

Thanks, I've been having the same problem. In-game doesn't seem to save. I figured the menu miiiight work but I forgot to try it :downs:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

PSA for new players:

:siren: Go into your house and open the "DLC" menu and then go to "gift items" and you'll be given a mario and luigi suit for your cats, plus like a shitton of potions, traps, and other supplies. :siren:

Choose wisely: you only get enough materials to make one set of EITHER Mario or Luigi armor, and one hammer. They said that there will be a dlc mission later on that will give you more of those mats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

pnumoman posted:

Choose wisely: you only get enough materials to make one set of EITHER Mario or Luigi armor, and one hammer. They said that there will be a dlc mission later on that will give you more of those mats.

Technically, you can make one hat, one body armor (or whatever it's called), and one hammer. So if you really want you can have a Mario hat with a Luigi costume, or vice versa. Which is what I did, because there doesn't seem to be any stat difference. Best of both worlds...?

Edit: Also, make sure you already have a Nintendo Network ID set up and set your location before you try to access the gift area. Otherwise you'll be restarting like a million times in a row.

• Locked thread