Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Rascyc posted:

Does this actually happen?

All the time, although more frequently with publishers shutting down. As far as I know most of their games were published by SEGA and Squeenix, so my guess is they're safe for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I've seen it happen on steam but I haven't noticed with any of my psn games, I guess I didn't pay much attention.

I might grab RoF then because I lost my discs in a recent move. gently caress I wish I could just start that game with the ng+ difficulty sliders unlocked.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Morpheus posted:

Well, Nintendo is backwards as gently caress so I shouldn't be surprised.

Weird though, I had the notion that the Playstation was locked.

The PS3 can be locked, but it's game-dependent, and only one game to my knowledge does it (the original Persona 4 Arena). The reaction to this was bad enough that Ultimax, its sequel/update/whatever, isn't locked.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There are couple of other games mostly because they came with BD's as well, like Stranglehold, which came with a copy of Hard Boiled, and I think a Macross game that never left Japan.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

If nobody beats me there, I will stick this out for you.

Who am I kidding, I'm probably going to beat this if Lightning Returns PC doesn't drop before I get to the end.

Like, don't break yourself for my sake. It's not like somebody's going to die if I don't get an answer.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Bleusilences posted:

Why did they went with less detail, the snes game was trying to put as much detail as the technology let them back then.

They actually did what you'd want a company to do in a case like this; they went back to the original character sprite designer from the SNES version and had her draw new sprites for the HD version. The problem is her style looks simpler the more the resolution goes up.

Doesn't account for why it looks blurry or any of the other problems that port has, but I think those new designs would look bad in an HD port regardless. They just don't fit the detail of the rest of the world.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

"HD" is what it defaults to and where I was running it in those last screenshots. It reveals that apparently the character sprites are untouched in any way save some color depth, but most everything else is replaced. (Not shown in this shot: a couple of barrels and random things which are revealed to be unchanged, explaining the jarring nature of the earlier shot.)
Don't forget the chimney right there, which is suddenly in a huge hole in the roof, as well as the disappearance of the windows in the roof!

quote:

(it also applies the filter to the radial menu and hoo boy that looks like poo poo)
Oh my god that sounds terrible. Also, it does not appear to apply it to the chimney!

Endorph posted:

they have voice clips when they attack, like 99% of real time action games ever made?
Probably shouldn't apply actual words to attacks you'll be using over and over in combos like that then!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Morpheus posted:

A little over that, actually. At least, according to VGChartz (which is, I know, not exactly reliable).
VGChartz isn't just unreliable, they just make poo poo up.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm flabbergasted the site still exists. They were busted like 5 years ago, how are they still going?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

I'm flabbergasted the site still exists. They were busted like 5 years ago, how are they still going?

There is literally nobody else offering what they offer and so that gives them a niche.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

dis astranagant posted:

Atlus has always been a fairly small company with modest funding for new titles and very low sales expectations that they try to make up in merch. I'd be surprised if Persona 3 sold much over 1.5 million copies across all releases in all markets.

My expectation is that modest budgets, modest sales expectations, and modestly scoped games will have to become the norm. Already Sony, Nintendo, and MS have started bringing down the cost of entry for developers on their consoles to attract small studios and indie devs. That trend is going to have to continue. The money/man-hour costs of producing AAA games is frankly ridiculous even when you're doing things right so unless there is some weird unfathomable technological leap that allows way, way, way faster and cheaper development and asset creation for HD, we're stuck with the Steam model, which isn't too bad. Lots of indie games of varying quality with occasional blockbusters from the few big developers that kept their poo poo together during the move to HD.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Codiekitty posted:

Like, don't break yourself for my sake. It's not like somebody's going to die if I don't get an answer.

A question for you, since you've played the original version: did random battles sometimes just not end when you killed everything, or is that a bug they introduced in HD? Every once in a while I have to force everyone to gather until the fight stops when everything has been wiped out.

Not kidding, by the way.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Maybe you should zoom out your character portraits a little bit if everyone's expressions, hairstyles, and face accessories are so similar that they're only distinguishable by their hair color

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's a bad game but how does rosey cheeked chubby blond guy look anything like brown-haired stock hero guy

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

A question for you, since you've played the original version: did random battles sometimes just not end when you killed everything, or is that a bug they introduced in HD? Every once in a while I have to force everyone to gather until the fight stops when everything has been wiped out.

Not kidding, by the way.

No, I don't recall that ever happening to me. Guess they somehow managed to gently caress the game up even worse.

And a tip to make the game slightly less painful: did you get the feathers from the store in the first town?

This isn't a story spoiler, but a gameplay one (admittedly this is the way it was in the original and I'd rather eat my copy of the Genesis version than play the remake, but considering how hosed up the visuals are I doubt they put in the effort to change this). I'm still blacking it out in case you want a chance to figure it out on your own:

Every fight in the game has the same strategy: equip all your characters with the item that resists the enemies' attack element. Even the final boss gets her poo poo ruined by the correct item.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Rascyc posted:

Does this actually happen?
Please don't quote VGChartz. Unreliable is an understatement. Their numbers are straight up fabrications.

Yeah, there is absolutely no point in doing that. For sales, P4 sold around 500K I think and Golden sold 700K by September 2013. P5 is coming into fairly decent amount if hype and new Gen should have almost 50 mil install base by then as well... which is important as you can't sell much on PS3/360 unless you are Fifa, Madden or CoD.

Too bad about Tri-Ace. SO4 was certainly terrible, but they have done good work before. It would have been good to see them with one of the bigger publishers. On console sales, I am not convinced they are dying outside Japan. PS4 is selling very well and even XBone picked up some steam in US/UK. You got some of the emerging market starting to get into consoles as well. I can see this Gen selling same vs 360/PS3, Wii/Wii U aside.

on a separate note I am done with buying SE or Capcom games/ports on mobile. I like coming back to games and it's impossible on the platform. Ghost Trick and TWEWY just showcase that paying premium pricing for these two companies products on mobile platform is a futile effort. In general I am probably mostly done with purchasing premium games for iOS / Android as there is no guarantees of a fix. At least with Android you can downgrade/get an older device which can support older ROMS but with iOS you are SOL.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Codiekitty posted:

And a tip to make the game slightly less painful: did you get the feathers from the store in the first town?

Yeah. I, uh. I just expected that was going to be a temporary "this makes the starting area easier" thing, but learning that it's apparently the mass of the strategy to the game is incredibly depressing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I heard Shadow Hearts III isn't really connected to the first two, how is it as a whole product?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tae posted:

So I heard Shadow Hearts III isn't really connected to the first two, how is it as a whole product?
3 has the best gameplay of the series, but its writing is weaker and more stock JRPG than its predecessors. It's worth playing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

It's weaker than before. The core combat has improved but it feels otherwise like a halfhearted rehash of the previous game in a lot of ways. It's worth playing but not as good as SHII.

It's connected but only in loose ways. (Some cameos, Roger Bacon, ect.)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think the SH3 settings are a little better though in some ways. I can't remember particulars but the Al Capone stuff was fun and the native american mythos was kind of neat.

But yeah the game tries to reuse too many of its same jokes.

The main character arc is what I remember being the weakest and most ludicrous thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

As someone that played maybe 3 hours of Shadow Hearts II and not I, I should fare better then?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Probably? It is not really a bad game in the same vein as others. SH2 was just really magical for its time. It is like comparing later Suikoden titles to Suikoden 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

As someone that played maybe 3 hours of Shadow Hearts II and not I, I should fare better then?

Maybe. It'll probably feel a bit fresher to you at least.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You should really play through 2. 2 is one of the best JRPGs period.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

All you really need to see in the original Shadow Hearts is in this video anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl6Zo2dFqyc

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I skipped SH1 personally when I played SH2 and still think SH2 was one of the best experiences when I played it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
SH1 is still a good game, and its the only game in the trilogy to mainly maintain Koudelka's horror atmopshere, but its aged a bit.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Delsaber posted:

All you really need to see in the original Shadow Hearts is in this video anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl6Zo2dFqyc

I missed this by skipping SH1? :psyduck:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Can I play and enjoy Legend of Mana without crossreferencing several guides? I really hate playing a game like that. I've tried to get into it a couple of times and I've never really got too deep but I do like the basic gameplay systems so I'd like to play through it someday.

I do know that it has a reputation of having really incomprehensible crafting and that if you want to do all missions of it you need to do arcane wizardry like watching your area placement and even picking a suitable starting area. But could I just kind of breeze through to the (an?) ending without worrying too much?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

All I know about Shadow Hearts is that its expensive as gently caress to buy now so I will probably never play it

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Amppelix posted:

Can I play and enjoy Legend of Mana without crossreferencing several guides? I really hate playing a game like that. I've tried to get into it a couple of times and I've never really got too deep but I do like the basic gameplay systems so I'd like to play through it someday.

I do know that it has a reputation of having really incomprehensible crafting and that if you want to do all missions of it you need to do arcane wizardry like watching your area placement and even picking a suitable starting area. But could I just kind of breeze through to the (an?) ending without worrying too much?

Absolutely! The quests stuff you miss by ignoring mana levels are extremely minor and largely amount to recruiting some monster that you can't get otherwise but is also largely just novelty. By and large the map building :spergin: is for power gaming purposes but the game is very very very easy already so go ahead and just coast through it.

Actually IIRC, there are only two named quests that you may miss by ignoring mana levels and both can be easily accessed if you put the Sword of Mana next to Domina. So if you want to complete the cactus diary in one run then that's all you have to remember, but if you don't, you aren't missing much at all.

I approach Legend of Mana with a similar attitude as I do Skyrim, which is to say, about as casual as you can get. So pick up that controller and let the game take you on an adventure!

Head Hit Keyboard fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 21, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Amppelix posted:

It's completely playable the whole way through without touching a guide as long as you don't care about finding 100% of everything because that's pretty much impossible. It's not easy with a guide.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

So in Xenogears, is it normal to not be able to see poo poo in the forest?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Codiekitty posted:

So in Xenogears, is it normal to not be able to see poo poo in the forest?

You playing on TV or emulating? You might need to adjust your contrast.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

unless you're talking about the camera angle being obstructed by random bullshit and not knowing where to go in general because everything looks similar, no.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
In Xenoblade how do I beat round 2 of the second confrontation with Gadolt? The first round was very easy. However he is impossible with those two Mechon he summons. I can sometimes get one of them but not the other. I've tried multiple strategies but nothing seems to work. Are my people just too low of a level? They are all at level 66. I am using Shulk, Reyn, and Melia.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Boy, there is like more gay (or what I assume very metrosexual feeling) guys in Shadow Hearts III in the first 3 hours than most games I played combined. I guess that's to counter the extremely DOA female character...?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Boy, there is like more gay (or what I assume very metrosexual feeling) guys in Shadow Hearts III in the first 3 hours than most games I played combined. I guess that's to counter the extremely DOA female character...?

There was a pretty popular gay character in SH2 (plus a couple of side characters) so they kinda repeated it in SH3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

In Xenoblade how do I beat round 2 of the second confrontation with Gadolt? The first round was very easy. However he is impossible with those two Mechon he summons. I can sometimes get one of them but not the other. I've tried multiple strategies but nothing seems to work. Are my people just too low of a level? They are all at level 66. I am using Shulk, Reyn, and Melia.

Try putting on Lock-on Resist gems. If you have Monado Armour, that's a big help. If not, make sure you save Chain Attacks for when you get a vision that he'll use an Ether attack, at which point you Daze him. Make sure you don't stand in front of him, since Blow Jaggy is a cone-shaped frontal attack. You can use Hypnotise on one of the adds to put it to Sleep, just make sure none of your allies attack it. You might wanna try just ignoring the adds as well and just focus on him.

Terper fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 22, 2015